Steam Whistle Brewing Employee Reviews

Beer
Retail (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2019
They know how to do two things really well, and that's make beer and fire people.

Disclaimer* I was not fired from Steam Whistle

With that said, you will meet some of the greatest people alive. (you will also see them get fired)
Awesome location, workplace, staff and events
Staff employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2019
First of all, the product can't be beat and everyday I'm proud to say I'm a part of the Good Beer Folk team at Steam Whistle. Everyone is encouraged not only to do their own job to the max, but also to help out in any way they can and provide input in many different areas. It is an open office structure and also an open culture. I was wary to join a beer company and everything that implies, but the opportunity was a good one and I have found it to be very inclusive and people truly help one another. It is not at all cliquish in the way I have found other companies to be that are full of young people (advertising, hospitality, etc.) Everyone works hard but it is fun, fun, FUN! Lots of evenings there are still people in the office but beers and good conversation are shared. Although now there are two locations and that caused a lot of colleagues to be split up, this same fun culture is growing at the new location and particularly at beer o'clock when lots of us get together for darts and other games in the tap room. The only type of person who wouldn't do well here is someone who wants to keep to themselves and just clock in and out at the end of a day. Steam Whistle is more about an entire lifestyle.
Pros
Fun staff, events, free beer, convenient location
Cons
No onsite parking and City of Toronto does not keep the park entrance cleared in winter
Best place that I have worked in a very long time
Employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2019
I have worked in a few companies, and this one by far takes the cake. You are supported through your successes and mistakes. It's very much a work hard play hard environment. I love going to work every day because of the people that I work with. The culture is fantastic. As I haven't been through the management changed mentioned, it's not as relevant to me. There have been changes, but the management I am under is fantastic. Sometimes, things can feel a little disorganized and hectic, but I think that happens in any fast moving industry.
Pros
culture, people, athmosphere
Friendly People
Employee (Current Employee) –  Toronto, On2 January 2019
Everyone who work's here is so nice and welcoming! There's no politics or drama, just a solid group of people who like each other. There's a respect for you as an employee, and work/life balance.
Pros
People, Free Beer, Parties, Location
Cons
Old building so temperature fluctuates
Fun and Encouraging
Retail & Promotions Embassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 December 2018
This place literally exists to put smiles on faces. Whether you are an employee or a customer, a good time is guaranteed. Good times are the focus at Steam Whistle and they are achieved through efficient teamwork, encouraging & supportive management, and free beer! No matter what you have been hired to do, it is assumed that you know best and therefore receive full control over your work. That being said, Steam Whistles emphasis on team-working ensures that any question can be answered by simply asking. The majority of Steam Whistles workforce are creatives, whether you are an actor, dancer, comedian, or musician, you can be sure that the company will not only accommodate in terms of scheduling, but also encourage other employees to show up and support.
Pros
Free Beer, Amazing People, Creative Environment
Cons
Currently experiencing major changes in company structure due to growth.
Great Work Environment, Amazing People
Marketing, Events, and Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
Steam Whistle is a great work environment with a cultural emphasis on rewarding hard work. You have opportunities to engage any many amazing experiences and broaden horizons. For those that are beer enthusiasts, or want to work in a positive work environment, Steam Whistle is the place to be.
Pros
Free beer, Great work experience
Cons
Low wages, Work can be physically exhausting
Dangerous
fool (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2018
It's kind of like a bad movie. Which works because it's filled with actors. A fake family atmosphere with free sub-par beer to help forget your job is dangerous and you're unappreciated.
Pros
Good production team
Cons
Health and Safety is a joke. And not a funny one.
A lot of great memories made with very awesome people.
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2018
Great place to work as somebody in their early 20s. Very easy to make friends as somebody new to the city. The pay isn't the greatest but the experience and memories help weigh out the pros vs cons. I've heard a lot has changed since I've moved on but I can't personally confirm.
you really earn the free beer at the end of the day
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
all i can say is production is very random, you could work a 12 hour day with 2x15 min breaks and a 30min lunch, or you could work a 4 hour. Everything seems to be in constant limbo, you might work 1 day a week you might work 6. Hard to become a full time employee. Free beer is nice but if your not willing to get paid minimum pay for maximum effort work, well you decide that
Pros
Free beer, Awesome parties, great culture, downtown
Cons
Long days, Hard work, low pay
Fun place to work
Home Sales Delivery (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
Steam Whistle is a fun place to work. There is a really energetic and relaxed team of people working there. The job also has a lot of perks and benefits.
No room for growth
Retail Employee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2017
No room for growth here.
As 'family' as they all seem, it's all a hoax.
More like a cult than job.
Management is all informally trained.
Mask all work issues with free beer.
Terrible pay.
Good Beer Folk!
Retail, Events and Promotions Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2015
Steam Whistle has an amazing atmosphere and work culture. Everyone knows each other on a first name basis and they really emphasize the "Good Beer Folk" mentality.
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2012
Effectively managed a sales pipeline
Managing a three-person sampling and trade show team
Developing and implementing sales strategies for southwestern Ontario
Communicating the brand and company’s key messages with accounts and their customers
Coordinating sampling events, promotion campaigns, brewery tours and staff events with accounts
Pros
free lunches
Cons
salary