STE. ANNE'S SPA

STE. ANNE'S SPA Employee Reviews

I’ve been an RMT at Ste Anne’s Spa for over 22 years. They have treated me well over the years and it’s a pleasure to be an employee at such a beautiful, well renowned Destination Spa. I’ve watched Ste Anne’s grow and change tremendously, yet still maintain the quality of the experience for both guests and staff. The staff are treated fairly in wage, benefits, training and education and recognition programs. Employees must be up to the challenge of working in a very busy, high-paced and rewarding environment. The hours are reliable and fairly consistent throughout the seasons. As an RMT, the marketing, booking, products and laundry are all taken care of. There is potential for training and education and growth within the company. We are fortunate to work as a team with many other departments in this business which make our days enjoyable and fun and we form lasting friendships. Our staff are all dedicated to ensuring our guests are happy, healed and will visit us again. Ste Anne’s grows produce and ingredients for our chefs and our own product line making it even more of a special place with exceptional service and employees. I’m proud to be part of this team.
I was so fortunate to be hired to work for Ste. Anna's Spa. The wages are above average, plenty of work available to make a great living. Ste. Anna's Spa has a culture that is second to none. Just starting your career or looking to give it your best for the last years, this is the place to dig your heels in and use all of your skills for a company that appreciates.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Working at the front desk is extremely stressful. They are always understaffed despite the amount of work and guests that come to stay. Even though management is nice, they do nothing when concerns are brought to them. There is a lot of drama between staff and departments and if you do not participate in it you are an outsider and most people seem to be in it for themselves, no one is working as a team. The lack of communication is laughable. During my review I was told my performance was great, then was let go without reason a month later. When I asked them for more information and constructive criticism on why I was being let go they could not give me a reason. If you love drama and a stressful environment then this is the workplace for you.
Pros
Made some friends, beautiful location
Cons
Overtime was expected without compensation, extremely stressful environment, zero communication with staff, unjust termination.
13 October 2020
Thank you for your feedback but you seem to have a lot if misinformation. We do pay overtime as is required by law. Your overtime agreement is averaged over a bi-weekly period as was outlined in the contract you signed and was approved by the Ministry of Labour. The team is very cohesive and positive and receives the highest of accolades from our guests. Not everyone is cut out to present themselves to the public especially in situations which can be stressful. We appreciate that you made an effort but sometimes it is not enough. Being dismissed without cause just means that we are paying you lieu of notice rather than having a disciplinary dismissal which would not entitle you to lieu of notice.
Honestly, this place is the worst. There's too much to possibly list here, but I was warned before and after I got hired that I should not work there. They have a terrible reputation as an employer around the Northumberland County area, and they don't seem to want to change that. I was shocked at the general cleanliness of the property. There's mold everywhere, and the cleaners they use are heavily diluted with water (it's basically just water with a couple ounces of cleaning solution). The decor is severely tacky and outdated. It looks like a grandmothers house from the 80's. They don't care about the well-being of their employees, particularly the fabulous men and women who work in housekeeping. I know multiple people (myself included) who suffered heat stroke during the summers after being told we had to stay outside in direct sunlight for hours, and that we weren't allowed to bring any water with us. We would also get in trouble if we were "caught" going into the staff room to get ourselves some water. At the time in which I left, everyone that worked in housekeeping was unhappy with their employer, and looking for other employment opportunities. That tells you everything you need to know about this place. The interview I had at Ste Anne's was also very unprofessional. It was about 30 minutes in length, and the Director of Operations spent the entire time talking about himself. It was alarmingly easy, as I wasn't asked a single question about myself. Side note: they now have a 20-something guy with zero experience in hotel management, or even managing staff for that - more...
22 January 2020
Although we always welcome feedback and have an open door policy so that anyone will feel comfortable that they have someone to speak to at any time, I am disappointed in many of the untruthful statements that you have made and I wonder what has happened to lead you to make these claims. Our reputation in the community is impeccable and it is noteworthy to say that our guests often comment on how happy the staff is here. We do have high standards and not every candidate meets our expectations. I understand that can leave the individual with bad feelings.We are a four diamond property and are regularly inspected by CAA and the Health Unit and always pass successfully. Cleanliness is essential in this environment. We actually have steam cleaners that we use to deep clean our showers to mitigate any type of mold growth. Cleaners are constantly super cleaning our bathrooms to prevent this type of problem. The cleaners we use are concentrates that have to be diluted with water which is more environmentally friendly and practiced in all hospitality locations. The décor of Ste. Anne’s is definitely eclectic and contains a combination of antiques, collectibles and new items. This was done intentionally to make if feel like someone’s grandma’s house.I recently met with the individuals in this department to check in and see how things were going for each of them. This is something we do on an annual basis to make sure we are meeting everyone’s needs. There were only some minor challenges that were easily corrected. Overall the survey indicated a very happy staff. They are - more...
I have worked for Ste. Anne's for over 10 years now. It is home away from home. When you are any employee here you are not just an employee you are actually family. A lot of changes have happened here over the years but a lot are for the better. Everyone that works here, works so incredible hard. Guests that come here become family and you get so much love from returning guests time and time again. I have to say this has been one of the BEST jobs I have ever had.
Ste. Anne's has been nothing short of spectacular to work for. Fair pay, good hours, great people. Managers are very approachable (There is an open door policy for all managers) and they value good work life balance for their employees. Right from the beginning, my personal life has been in the mind of my boss. My schedule accommodates appointments and leisure activities. Small business expenses like parking passes/materials are also reimbursed (not my experience with other similar companies and start-ups). They also provide all the tools/equipment you will need. At any time, you can raise concerns with a manager and they will make an attempt to help you. I truly enjoy working for Ste. Anne's Spa and Bakery and hope to be here awhile!
Overall an amazing place to work, the management is very supportive of the group and you as an individual. You work closely with everyone so it feels like more of a second family than a job.
We work in a great atmosphere, beautiful location, and the people who work and visit here are all amazing. It is a very fast-paced environment so the days go by quickly. We all work together as team and help out where needed. The management team here really cares about your happiness, physical, and mental health. As one of the employees, I am going to be taking advantage of new programs such as the new fitness bootcamp to continue bettering myself and my health. It's not just a job; it's a lifestyle change to better yourself.
Pros
High staff morale, beautiful scenery, opportunity for advancement
Ste. Anne's provides a great work environment that has wonderful guests and great staff to work with. All of the staff I interact with are friendly, helpful, and want to get the best out of each other. I am constantly learning new skills and traits that translate into my everyday life. There is great food, lovely spaces, and an overall positive atmosphere. I would recommend Ste. Anne's to anybody!
Pros
High staff morale, beautiful scenery, opportunity for advancement
I have been at Ste. Anne's for 12 years and I love my job and the environment! Every day is different and the days fly by. The staff here are caring and nurturing - the needs of our guests are paramount. The management works hard to make good decisions for the guests and staff alike and their doors are always open for feedback and to provide assistance. We are well paid (especially for this area) and we have a very comprehensive benefit package. There is even a compassionate fund to help team members when they are in need and an educational fund to help you continue to grow as a team member and as a person. Some recent changes to our "perks" have resulted in some people lashing out on-line, but these were just perks and not part of our compensation and benefits. The company is changing up some of these perks so that they are more beneficial to all team members and I think once they are implemented they are going to be incredible.
The turnover of servers in the dining room makes this so not worth the job application. Yes, the girls are all so nice and make for a fun team, but ALWAYS being short staffed and working with new people gets old real quick. And it’s all due to the RIDICULOUS micro-managing of the dining room management. The current dining room manager is a complete liar, has no opinion of her own, only is concerned about herself and strictly only does what she is told to do. I do not recommend applying for ANY serving jobs at this facility. The wages are tempting but absolutely not worth it at all in the long run. LOOK ELSEWHERE
Pros
Higher wage
Cons
ALWAYS short staffed, awful dining room management
Don’t be fooled or enticed by the slighter higher wages, working here is not worth the cost to your mental health. While the staff are outstanding, management will be ungrateful and no amount of effort will ever be enough. The incredible reputation of Ste. Annes as been built on the backs of the dedicated staff who go above and beyond daily to take care of its guests. The online reviews will eco that. But although the care and mental health of it’s guests is top priority the care and needs of the staff are recklessly ignored. This past year alone several programs have been cancelled including a gym membership, a yearly day spa pass for your birthday, and discount program for one designate. The staff discount was dropped from 40% to 20% and most importantly the RRSP program so many long time staff relied on for their retirement was suspended without notice pending a replacement program in the future TBD, which may never happen. The departure of many long time staff this year and turn over of management has made a bad situation much worse. The dining room has had 5 or 6 managers is the last few years and both housekeeping and front desk have lost key management. The moral of the company is low and has been low for sometime. There is no sign that the owner and directors will make any beneficial changes as they choose to believe they are doing a good job based on the spa success, great reputation and popularity built by the front line staff.
Pros
Slightly higher wages, but the yearly raises will be around 1-2% which doesn’t even reflect inflation.
Cons
Everything, staff are great, and some of the guests are wonderful. They would be appalled if they knew.
28 October 2019
I am sorry to hear you were unhappy in your role with Ste. Anne’s. Sometimes you have to take responsibility for yourself in a work environment and work with your managers to resolve concerns. It sounds like you did not make this attempt. Some of your claims are incorrect and or distorted. As far as mental health goes, we have a very supportive Benefit program for mental health assistance that is easily accessible. Usually when somone is having stress affect their work life they do request some assistance from HR but I have had no such request from anyone in the Dining Room. We actually replaced our external gym program with an internal program where membership at Ste. Anne’s Gym and personal training are provided complimentary with our new on staff personal trainer. This allows us to cover off more staff and do so right on site. We did adjust several costly programs that made it difficult for us to achieve a sustainable business model. There was no one affected retroactively and there was a grace period. Our replacement program was always going to be based on the business numbers and will be launched when we are able to do so. I am not sure which long term staff you are referring to who left the company due to these changes. I do not have a single one who indicated this and recent departures from the dining room were not long term staff. Our change of Dining Room managers was due to a promotion, a maternity leave, a life changing situation and someone who left to run their own business. No one left due to job stress. Managers and Directors have an open door program - more...
I am an RMT at Ste Annes and overall find it a great place to work. The people I work with are amazing; fun, friendly, and helpful. It is fast paced and busy but that means we are busy and have a consistent and predictable paycheque which I never had while self employed. The pay is fair and the benefits are good and as employees we are eligible for EI and CPP. The company also tries to find alternative work for employees who are injured. The grounds are beautiful and a provide a great break from a busy day. It can be stressful, as any job can, but the pros far outweigh the cons. Fair pay, great co-workers, beautiful location.
I have been with Ste Anne's Spa for over a year. I love my job. Every employee at the spa is so kind and friendly. Every time I walk through the door I get big smiles and a warm welcome from everyone from our guest services team and everyone I encounter along the way to the dining room. The dining room is a very busy faced paced environment, however the team work is exceptional. All the servers, managers and hosts will jump in, in a heartbeat to help each other out. Shift flexibility has also been provided for a number of staff who have "special restrictions". There is an excellent benefits package and special incentives provided to full time staff which focus around the health and wellbeing of employees. I love coming to work on this beautiful property, and the guest reviews we receive on our customer service skills speaks for itself. I can honestly say I think I've found my forever job here at Ste Annes and am so excited to learn and grow through out the company.
Pros
awesome coworkers
Cons
very busy but makes the day go by faster at least
Ste Anne’s is a amazing place to work. I have been a employee with Ste Annes Spa for over 25 years and have watched it grow from 15 team members to currently 200 team members. As any work environment there are always some challenges especially with the growth we have experienced these past 30 years but our management team, amazing co-workers, open door policy and the HR team truly makes this a great environment to work.
Pros
The location, wage and benefits.
Cons
Beautiful place on the outside that’s it they just lost their designer will see how things work out there I just have nothing more to say but have to fill up the characters
I've been in charge at Ste. Anne's Spa for the past 30 years, taking a small family B&B with 5 part time employees and turning it into a world class destination spa with over 200 wonderful employees. Our guests always tell us that the thing they love the most about this place are the people who work here. Over the years we've seen a lot of employees come and go for a variety of reasons, that's the nature of this business.
Extremely busy place all the time. Always short staffed in dining room. Dining room manager and supervisors do not work, want to be paid to stand around at the podium. Very high turnover of staff and management. Could be a really great place to work if wages were higher and people actually want to do their job. Excellent benefits package for full time employees and super friendly staff in all other departments.
Pros
Amazing food, beautiful country setting
Cons
Way too understaffed all the time!
Work/life balance is not great. They are always asking you to work on your days off. If you call in sick, have a family emergency, or don’t come in on your days off when they ask, they will cut your shifts significantly during slower times. The conditions of the spa are not great. Stuffy, dark and dingy spa rooms. No windows or air flow. Rodents, leaks and mould issues in some of the treatment rooms. Overall wouldn’t recommend. Very bias management and HR. Will strip you of your rights as an employee. Does not follow/know labour board regulations. Constant complaining about the spa from staff in the lunch room. Morale is very low right now due to changes being made internally. Only good thing would be some of the other spa techs are great people and the view.
29 July 2019
We are sorry that you did not understand the changes that were implemented by the Ontario government in 2019. We appreciate that the previous plan was more generous. Yes our spa rooms are purposefully set with a dim light for atmosphere and I realize this is very different than a salon where the lights are very bright. I have come to understand that a quiet soothing spa environment is not for everyone. The comments about the treatment rooms is not accurate since we have recently built new treatment rooms and renovated old ones. All air flow issues that once existed have been resolved. I am sorry that you did not feel you could come forward with your concerns before leaving us as you would have been made aware of the correct information.
I have been working with Ste Anne’s as a RMT for over 3 years. I work primarily with the spa staff and I can honestly say they are the best group of people I’ve ever worked with, the majority are kind, helpful and caring people and they make me enjoy coming to work everyday. No work place is perfect but I’ve worked in this business for over 20 years and we have it pretty good at Ste Anne’s. The pay is fair, the location is beautiful, and there is very little stress in our work day. I can see the improvements over the years that they are making to better our work conditions and I do believe they listen to us when we give suggestions. As an RMT having consistent, reliable hours is a bonus and getting things like vacation pay, and stat pay is something I never experienced as a self employed RMT. And even benefits for full time workers. Working with the guests is lovely, most people are the best versions of themselves when visiting the spa, they are relaxed, celebrating, and so happy to be there, it’s a good vibe. Over all I love my job, the good times out weigh the bad. And we can laugh about the small stuff because of my awesome coworkers.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Days are busy
Lots of room for improvement when it comes to how it’s run and the managers. Work life balance is nonexistent as you will be asked every day you have off to work, and management gets ticked if you can’t come in because they’re constantly overbooking. Going for professional advice with their “open door” policy is a huge mistake since the manager will abuse their position regardless of mental health issues arising due to the job. There is no airflow, no daylight, no A/C so you will be stuck in dark, stale air, hot rooms for 8 hours a day. No job advancement so it’s mind numbing work but they’re always desperate for spa techs so job security is top notch. Watch your paycheques because payroll will mess up how much is taken off for your taxes. Seems to be an ongoing issue with broken equipment, leaky ceilings, and rodents. The only good thing is the view.
29 July 2019
The open door policy is broad based and if your own manager does not resolve your issues, you can go to any other manager and the owner to resolve your concerns. This is something the owner personally told you when you were hired. There is no company control over tax calcuations so I am unclear what your concern was about. All equipment is on a regular repair and replacement cycle once it is reported as broken. All treatment rooms were recently upgraded and a number of new treatment rooms have been created. Had you come forward we could have let you know when your concerns could be addressed. You are right that the job is secure.
  1. Employee reviews