Statistics Canada

Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

To be successful while working for Statistics Canada Census, you have to be “all in” to tough it to the end. It was a perfect fit for me. Loved the goals and challenge!
Pros
Freedom to work at your own pace. Excellent support from management.
Cons
Always being on call for the duration of the project.
My co-op term was cut short, but I still had a fun time. I had the opportunity to work on in an experimental division. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. They were flexible with my schedule. Some of the ambient noise was a bit too distracting for me.
Pros
Friendly staff
Worked at my own pace and did daily reports data input to govt records Met a lot of people in my neighborhood. Made my own hours....straight forward easy to follow instructions.....
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
short term contract job
They were accommodating and flexible about hours. They were concerned about safety of employees, when or required they allowed a team approach, for comfort of employees. They allowed unconventional techniques, when it was successful. When required, they backed up employees, with RCMP phone support assist
Pros
Flexible, fun comrades, supervisors were asset
Cons
Could be long hours, if you wish.
Census 2016 covered a large area. Training was rushed and incomplete. Pay and expense was decent. Job was challenging but doable. Overall I would be willing to do it again.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Large area
I accepted this largely in part to put me out of my comfort zone i am not a very social person and I do not typical approach and talk to strangers. But my team lead was very good at preparing us for most situations and it calmed down my nerves quite a lot. He also made sure we knew he and his second were always available if we had any question or issues at anytime.
Pros
Make your own hours, work independently
Cons
It was extremely hot outside in the summer
I have worked as a UX Designer in Statistics Canada. It was such an amazing experience working with multidisciplinary teams of designers and developers.
Pros
Job security and great pay
Cons
Slow-paced to get things done
Was a great temporary job. I worked with a lot of great people. Interview process was structured and fair. Management were great. Was a fun casual work environment in the census office.
Loved working for Statistics Canada. My co workers were great. Managers were great. Never had a problem. Enjoyed doing the work. It was right up my ally
Pros
Make own hours
Cons
Wear on car
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Statistics Canada?
I’ve worked for Stats and twice and I loved it. Both times were temporary which is sad. Training is good, support is good. I loved being part of a collaborative team while at the same time I had job autonomy. It was very rewarding being allowed to use my own judgement and abilities to accomplish the tasks presented to me. Anytime I needed assistance or had questions someone was always available to assist me.there
Pros
Exciting, fast paced, and challenging!
Cons
It was not a permanent gig.
C'et le travail rêvé pour une personne qui aime le travail sans supervision et sans trop de stress. Bon pour une personne qui est ordonnée et passionnée
Pros
allocations de déplacements et allocations de dépenses de bureaux
Management is incompetent and does not care about their employees. They constantly try to break agreements with their employees. They will change your schedule without asking if you are available and will schedule you against your availability. If management doesn't like you, good luck getting any time off, even if you give them plenty of notice. They monitor your work closely and don't encourage any socialising, stress breaks, or even bathroom breaks (though they will allow it). Good luck getting answers on your pay too. Worst department of the government to work.
Hired in a term position to staff positions associated with 1981 Census and lead a small HR team responsible for Pay and Benefits. Following Census moved to Regional Office and offered a promotion. Reported to District Manager. Major accomplishment was obtaining benefits for part-time employees which made up 60% of the workforce.
I have worked for StatsCan as an Enumerator and a Junior Statistical Assistant. I was pleased with the collaborative and friendly atmosphere that effectively communicates on how to get the job done.
Good working with different people and cultures. Good salary compared working in the privates. We have.a very good relationship with my supervisor and colleage.
Pros
All culture environment
Cons
Temporary employment
Great opportunity for anyone looking for short term challenging work. Your an organized and meticulous leader with the ability to keep tight deadlines and will work long hours sometimes. It’s a great job for someone who is able to work with different personalities and stay focussed (stay sane) while problem solving. Great experience but the wage was a little disappointing.
Hours of operations are from 9am-11pm. Usually 5.5hr shifts, but never full-time hours in a week. Yearly wage increases and $0.20 premium if you're bilingual. Surveys range from calling businesses to calling the general public. Cubicals, but you won't ever get the same one.
Being in a Statistical environment, you need to be a conservative style at heart. Changes takes a long time to happen. Protecting information/data is your prime goal.
It's obvious I Love it! Great People Fun Work. I have a Degree in Statistics so along the lines of My education. Would recommend to anyone wanting a Great Pre Start to A Career!😀😀😀
It was a very interesting position. Worked on Aboriginal reserves collecting data for census 2016. Worked with local guides from the reserves learnt a lot from them.
The job is fairly boring unless someone answers the phone which happens once about every 6 phone calls. It can be difficult to convince people to do the survey.
  1. Employee reviews