Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Cool
Statistics Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2019
I made lot of good friends with my fast working skills. The Managers and owners were friendly and respectful. The workplace was well organized and clean.
Environnement de travail aggréable et harmonieux
Intervieweur interne (Current Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC30 December 2018
Une journée typique est très agréable, un climat de respect et d'intégrité règne en permanence, l'ambiance est très bonne.
great part time job
temp (Former Employee) –  Albert Bridge, NS26 December 2018
outstanding experience
meeting people
this job is only available every few years
worked at my own hrs
discovered places roads and areas I never know were there
Pros
work your own hrs
Cons
only casual employment
Mostly Self directed
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 December 2018
The time spent with this company was quite rewarding. The assignment was a mixture of gathering data in the field through direct interview of household and imputing the information gathered electronically.
I had the opportunity to speak with people of varying background and ethnicity. Some of the major challenges encountered with this job were; reluctance to cooperate as some viewed the process as a means to extract more taxes from them and multiple visits to the same location as households are often not present when visits are made.
very stressful when busy, when not lots of free time
Field Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2018
Decent benefits but money is not enough for the stress of job. Completing surveys with unwilling participants and pressure to harassing the till they do complete.
Pros
Benefits, some what self governed, flexible hours
Cons
mostly evenings or weekends . high expectations from management
Flexible work hours
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2018
It was great experience working with Statistics Canada. They care about employee's health and work-life balance. I had great supervisor who was always encouraging.
*awesome*
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 November 2018
It was great to learn the area of which you lived in, meet your neighbors and was a great to converse with others about the information that you were compiling.

Hardest part of the job was hitting the pavement on some of the hottest days - but with your work load, you broke up your day and go back out late afternoon/afternoon.

You were your own boss and meaningful to have been a part of history!
Great workplace
Telecommunications Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2018
Great work environment. I learned to work on my own and manage a service request system on my own. The environment/staff was definitely the most enjoyable.
Want to feel miserable? Go work here
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
The work is easy, pay is decent and benefits are good HOWEVER it's not worth it considering everything else. You are forced to bother people 3-4 times a day on survey's they don't want to do (they're voluntary) and the ones that agree to participate only do it because they're fed up with the amount of calls they receive. Some survey's can last up to an hour which I find is ridiculous. You HAVE to work 5 times a week (you have no choice) and you have to work the entire shift. In addition to that, you have managers who really love to micromanage you and that gets really annoying. You're also confined to a cubicle that's dirty and grey. There is uncertainty with this position as you are on contracts and there is not always work available. IF you are selected for work, you need to show up for training, which, if you cannot make it, you won't be scheduled to work at all since you missed training.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Great Employer
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2018
Statistics Canada is a Federal Department and everything is very regimented as one would expect. The department I worked in in Victoria was composed of very nice people who created an easy environment to work in.

Want to know more about Statistics Canada?

Ask a question
interviewers are not Statistics Canada Employees
interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton24 September 2018
the job for the interviewer is not a position within Statistics Canada it is for an operation called SSO or Statistical Survey Operations and employees who work for that organization do not get paid the same or treated the same.
Apply at your own risk
Pros
benifits
Cons
loss of your dignity
Great environment
Collection support unit (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 September 2018
Although it was a temporary position during the Census period, all employees were treated with the same respect as those who are permanent. The pressure to conduct more interviews was communicated in a positive enforcement way.
Unhealthy Work Environment
Statistics Canada (Former Employee) –  AB20 September 2018
Disorganized environement, Lack of training, unrealistic deadlines and workloads, bullying and violence in the workplace ignored and even initiated by management.
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 September 2018
Very clear and structured, I always knew exactly what I was going to be doing each day and well ahead of time. There were no surprises so I could plan everything I needed to. I had support when I needed it. I was treated with dignity and respect which was new for me in the workforce. I was given room to advance which was also a novelty.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, stable, clear expectations, good communication
Cons
temporary position
Learning Experience
Project Research Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2018
Taught me many communication skills and government basic knowledge. Great work environment and work-life balance. Fantastic salary for a student with opportunities for advancement.
Look elsewhere
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2018
Work life balance is very poor, they expect you to clear everything in your life to come work in a confined workspace. Benefits and pay are alright, management is okay too minus the ones that micromanage like crazy. Hard work for low pay....
fun summer job
Assistant Supervisor - Census (Former Employee) –  Saturna, BC5 September 2018
met lots of people while performing my census duties, drove and walked assigned routes while determining if the dwellings were seasonal or a primary address
Enumerator on First Nations communties
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2018
worked steadily throughout the day, going door to door in first nation communites, when i was finished the enumeration, I was assigned office duties until the term was over
Great place to start a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa13 August 2018
Depending on the program you are assigned to you could be very busy or sporadically busy. The program where I worked was very busy twice per year, meanwhile I knew of others who were limited to taking vacation at a specific time of the month, or missed out on training and development opportunities because work priorities superseded individual desires. Stats Can puts a lot of money into learning and development opportunities for its employees. Also, there are lots of activities in which to participate during break time and after work.
Contract Employee
Federal Enumeration Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
Contract Employee

Can make your own hours as long as you fulfill the required 40 hours per week.

Management is very lenient in allowing employees to work their own way at their own pace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statistics Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2