Statistics Canada Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Telecommunications Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2018
Great work environment. I learned to work on my own and manage a service request system on my own. The environment/staff was definitely the most enjoyable.
Want to feel miserable? Go work here
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
The work is easy, pay is decent and benefits are good HOWEVER it's not worth it considering everything else. You are forced to bother people 3-4 times a day on survey's they don't want to do (they're voluntary) and the ones that agree to participate only do it because they're fed up with the amount of calls they receive. Some survey's can last up to an hour which I find is ridiculous. You HAVE to work 5 times a week (you have no choice) and you have to work the entire shift. In addition to that, you have managers who really love to micromanage you and that gets really annoying. You're also confined to a cubicle that's dirty and grey. There is uncertainty with this position as you are on contracts and there is not always work available. IF you are selected for work, you need to show up for training, which, if you cannot make it, you won't be scheduled to work at all since you missed training.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
everything else
Great Employer
Field Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC27 September 2018
Statistics Canada is a Federal Department and everything is very regimented as one would expect. The department I worked in in Victoria was composed of very nice people who created an easy environment to work in.
interviewers are not Statistics Canada Employees
interviewer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton24 September 2018
the job for the interviewer is not a position within Statistics Canada it is for an operation called SSO or Statistical Survey Operations and employees who work for that organization do not get paid the same or treated the same.
Apply at your own risk
Pros
benifits
Cons
loss of your dignity
Great environment
Collection support unit (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON21 September 2018
Although it was a temporary position during the Census period, all employees were treated with the same respect as those who are permanent. The pressure to conduct more interviews was communicated in a positive enforcement way.
Unhealthy Work Environment
Statistics Canada (Former Employee) –  AB20 September 2018
Disorganized environement, Lack of training, unrealistic deadlines and workloads, bullying and violence in the workplace ignored and even initiated by management.
Great Pay, Great Benefits
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 September 2018
Very clear and structured, I always knew exactly what I was going to be doing each day and well ahead of time. There were no surprises so I could plan everything I needed to. I had support when I needed it. I was treated with dignity and respect which was new for me in the workforce. I was given room to advance which was also a novelty.
Pros
great pay, great benefits, stable, clear expectations, good communication
Cons
temporary position
Learning Experience
Project Research Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2018
Taught me many communication skills and government basic knowledge. Great work environment and work-life balance. Fantastic salary for a student with opportunities for advancement.
Look elsewhere
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2018
Work life balance is very poor, they expect you to clear everything in your life to come work in a confined workspace. Benefits and pay are alright, management is okay too minus the ones that micromanage like crazy. Hard work for low pay....
fun summer job
Assistant Supervisor - Census (Former Employee) –  Saturna, BC5 September 2018
met lots of people while performing my census duties, drove and walked assigned routes while determining if the dwellings were seasonal or a primary address
Enumerator on First Nations communties
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2018
worked steadily throughout the day, going door to door in first nation communites, when i was finished the enumeration, I was assigned office duties until the term was over
Great place to start a career
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa13 August 2018
Depending on the program you are assigned to you could be very busy or sporadically busy. The program where I worked was very busy twice per year, meanwhile I knew of others who were limited to taking vacation at a specific time of the month, or missed out on training and development opportunities because work priorities superseded individual desires. Stats Can puts a lot of money into learning and development opportunities for its employees. Also, there are lots of activities in which to participate during break time and after work.
Contract Employee
Federal Enumeration Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
Contract Employee

Can make your own hours as long as you fulfill the required 40 hours per week.

Management is very lenient in allowing employees to work their own way at their own pace.
walking and talking to people
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 July 2018
You walk around the neighborhood to the houses on your list and try and get in contact with who lives there or owns the place. Usually they are not home so you leave them a reminder to do their census. Sometimes they are home and agree to be interviewed or sometimes people are angry to see you at their door.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
temporary
Exciting work environment that encourages functional interaction
Survey Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 July 2018
For me, and given that our survey research involved talking to respondents all-over the country, Statistics Canada was a virtual school helped me improve my English accent.
Pros
Excellent opportunity to share feedback experiences
Cons
Some respondents sounded so depressed they didn't want to participate in the survey.
Productive and educational experience
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 July 2018
Great management team.
Training provided was excellent and on point
Easiest pet of the job was driving around all day.
Most difficult part was attempting to engage folks who wanted nothing to do with a government worker.
A different place to work
Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB2 July 2018
When I joined to be an enumerator for this I wasn't expecting it but it was a nice change. Also I got flown to another location to help so it was fun.
Pros
Traveling and meeting new people.
Cons
Not all new people were pleasant.
Relaxed but monotonous
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 June 2018
Things move slow with many levels of oversight involved in all projects. Employees are not always held accountable which leads to a large room for error.
its not for everyone door to door can be tough
Census data collector (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 June 2018
my supervisor was great. hours were flexible. its a fun experience working for stats can. they were very well organised. unfortunately at times going door to door its not always enjoyable.
Pros
great supervisor, very organised, flexible hours
Cons
door to door job and isnt very stimulating
Statistic canada
Processing clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2018
Excellent employer, training is spectacular. Close to downtown and small mini plaza. Close to river, a lot of greenspace is found to be everywhere. Buses at the dooe
Pros
excellent atmosphere
Cons
basement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Statistics Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2