State & Main Kitchen Bar Employee Reviews

Busy but managable
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 May 2019
On Friday's and the weekend it can get very busy, but with the right team we always found a way to make it fun. With the right team we always got the job done by delivering good quality food without making the costumers wait.
Pros
Free meal, and discounts
Cons
A lot of fun yet stressful at times
SERVER/BARTENDER/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 March 2019
- peers were very outgoing, professional, and kind
- management was great, but could vary depending on the day
- Miscommunication between front and back of house was an issue
Productive fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Kildonan, MB20 January 2019
Great place to work with a fun healthy atmosphere. People are so welcoming. Management is flexible with your schedule and very supportive of your goals.
Most friendliest place to work and greatest management I have ever seen.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON27 November 2018
There really isn't much to be said as I'm practically a lost for words. I've worked at 7 different restaurants and not one compares even close to this location. Everybody is super friendly and is in sync with eachother when it comes to working, they are almost like family. The management is astonishing, they host events quite often and give to the community.They are fairly lenient on their workers but know when and how to act putting their foot right down when something goes awry. I worked there for 2 years and I had never had any issues that caused me to dislike working there, I loved working there everyday and I would give anything in the world to have a family like that where I work now.

Seriously I cannot help but give this place a rating of 5 across the board, the perfect place to work whatever your position is.
Pros
Cons
Absolutely none.
Management with poor attitudes
Prep Manager (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB13 November 2018
managers would poorly treat employees as well through tantrums within the workplace great workers and place overall but some managers attitudes were very unpleasant
Pros
Clean and New Kitchen
Cons
Management with poor attitudes
Amazing Staff and Work Environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 September 2018
Working at State & Main was a wonderful experience, as the management and staff were wonderful to work with. I learned so much, and gained valuable experience at this company.
Extremely friendly and all the staff are very welcoming
Server (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 August 2018
State and Main was a well run restaurant with friendly staff and huge dinner portions. I had an amazing time working there and wish i didnt have to leave. I learned many different selling techniques and how to manage multiple tasks without jeopardizing the costumer experience. i would recommend State and Main 10 out of 10.
Pros
Family bond between co-workers, plus good discount
Great food but management needs to improve
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2018
Management has a great online training course. Uniforms are provided with a fee. Meal discounts are helpful. Too many students working in the kitchen, most do not complete Food Safety Training. Closing the kitchen is always an issue as some people do not like responsibilities. Tips are low. Most of the shifts are under staffed as they are conscious with labor hours.
A place of growth and learning
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, BM22 July 2018
Working in State and Main for so long, i have seen the ups and downs. This establishment is the true definition of a family though. Throughout it all there are so many individuals that are always willing to help you through the struggles of day-to-day life. From the wonderful management team to the extremely dedicated staff. Overall a place where i have grown as a person and enhanced my skills in my field of work
Pros
The atmosphere
Cons
The unpredictable volume of guests
Keeps you on your toes
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 May 2018
Never a dull day, always busy doing something. Would go back in a heartbeat. Just busy enough to keep you going. That way your not too stressed out
fun place to work - tips were not great
Manager/Waitress/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 May 2018
Pay was horrible. overstaffed all the time so tips didnt make up for making minimum wage. upper manager was fantastic but alot of young managers with zero managerial skill. great coworkers! great atmosphere. just needs more mature leadership and stronger servers to allow a half decent shift where you can make some tips
Great work environment
employee (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 April 2018
Everyone gets along and helps each other out; provided with a dress to wear as your uniform; shifts can be short as per any restaurant job; management is great
Pros
good discount on food and drinks, short shifts, decent tips
Cons
no scheduled breaks, short shifts, minimum wage
Ok place to work.
Line cook, Trained on opens and closes (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB21 March 2018
Pretty laid back place to work and super cool management and staff, you get free food at the end of your shift, and some pretty sick staff discounts if you come in outside of work
Pros
free food
Amazing company !
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON15 March 2018
LOVED working for State and Main Barrie. I was a part of the grand opening servers that summer and the ONLY reason I left was to move to a small town that does not have a State and Main to go to College and my boyfriend got a job there. Overall amazing atmosphere and managers, great people and team work! would work there again anytime! :)
Amazing place to work
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON9 February 2018
The management and staff are very friendly. Right when I started working, I felt accepted by everyone that worked there. I would highly recommend working for a restaurant like this.
Productive and fun
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2018
Was really fun getting to know everyone and the growth I made in just a year was very satisfying. Learning how earning money takes hard work and dedication. And to always be grateful
Pros
Free staff meal
Cons
Long hours if busy
Fun place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2018
All the staff are great to work with, good team environment. The food is awesome and the front of house and back of house always communicate to the best of their abilities.
It’s all about management
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB4 December 2017
I worked at the red deer state & main, and it was fantastic! My coworkers were friendly and easy going. The staff was a huge reflection of the great management team there!
I then worked at the Airdrie state & main, and the staff were very selfish and hard to get along with, which was a huge reflection on the management of that establishment. Very poorly run and is not a good environment.
Pros
Red deer state & main was great!
Cons
Airdrie state & main was horrible
Great workplace, fun and encouraging. Just an all around great experience.
Busboy (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 November 2017
Had a blast working at state and main, my co workers were always willing to help me out at any given situation. I would have stayed there longer but I had to leave Vancouver and come back home to Edmonton because of family problems. The management was professional and helpful in teaching me how to bus tables. The tips were especially good and it was great that I got to keep all of mine.
Unstable upper management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2017
Too much instability, and smoke and mirrors. The servers and staff are great, and being at store level is fantastic. Very family oriented, but head office does not seem to hold the same values
Pros
Happy staff
Cons
shady corporate decisions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at State & Main Kitchen Bar. Our community is ready to answer.