State & Main Kitchen Bar

State & Main Kitchen Bar Employee Reviews

Canada83 reviews
Manager was a good guy, same with most people that worked there very friendly environment. Only reason I left because it didn’t fit school hours... was a good job
Pros
Co workers
Cons
New management
Missing this place. Hoping to work here again. Most of the staff even the management are helpful. Higher management aswell. Transparency is been observed.
Pros
Staff meal.free
I would recommend that place. Its a fast paced but relaxed too. staff and management is so nice. It was fun working with them.they believe in team work i would say its not a stressful job.
State & Main is one of the best restaurants I have ever worked at. The food is wonderful and the atmosphere is fun, upbeat and enjoyable. It was great for me as I puy myself through school and there are many there who find they can raise their families with the income.
staff members were very rude towards me while i was training and my first not training shift i was left on my own to figure things out for myself and hostesses and hosts are not given the respect they deserve or the tip out they deserve
Working with State and Main, I enjoyed the overall atmosphere and customers. I had heaps of regulars coming in weekly and was able to build great relationships with them. At my specific location, the only complaint I would have was that sometimes management was a bit lax in their ability to help out in rush times.
I have really enjoyed my time working here and I would recommend this job to anyone who strives to work well and enjoys a positive environment. There are very helpful people aswell.
State and Main in Medicine Hat was a fabulous place to work. It closed down, unfortunately as it was not profitable enough. It was well managed and it was well cared for.
Working at state and main was always fun, I enjoyed going to work as a hostess on the weekends. The environment was always so friendly and engaging and we were all nice to each other from management, kitchen, servers and all. Although once the company was bought, the managers switched from less fun ad engaging ones that treated us like family, to rude and bossy ones. My hours were never great working as a hostess, the servers were capable of doing our job while it was slow, so I was only needed when it was busy. That meant that I would only get 3 or so hours some weeks, and maybe 8 hours other weeks. My shifts were cut down even more once the company was bought out, so some days I would go to work for maybe 1 1/2 hours and that was it for the week which I am not sure if that is even allowed.

Overall, the company dynamic shifted quite a bit when the company got bought. It is no longer a great place to work, at least in my case.
Amazing, hardworking great staff and amazing benefits. I recommend people to work for them it’s basically like being in a family you never wanna leave
Working here was a stressful environment. I felt that there should have been more hostess hired especially on busy nights and mornings. The management was mostly great, certain situations could have been handled better. The most enjoyable part of the job was the conversations had with customers. Being a host you meet a lot of interesting people.
If you're looking to work in a restaurant in Barrie really try to land a job here, I can confidently say no other restaurant compares to State & Main. Seriously these guys rock!
Each day coming into work I felt welcomed and wanted/ needed. Co- workers are good at communication and there is a very positive energy throughout the workplace. Hardest part of the job is when rush comes throughout dinner and lunch and it becomes very hectic and busy. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with such good people and energy all around.
Extremely fast paced, relatively decent teamwork. Management was not that helpful, never offered any sort of solutions when things were crazy. But the team would usually pull through somehow.
A good place to challenge yourself and you'll learn a lot from trials and tribulations. Expect low pay and high hours but a development in character. 3/5
A great first job for a student, quite laid back environment but also fast pace during the weekends, which was a breeze with all the co-workers helping each other out.
Fun and Quick paced environment, management was amazing! Staff is very willing to help out each other at all times. Amazing customers, high quality food and drinks, overall amazing experience.
This place was the best to work. The people MAKE the place!!!! I enjoyed my time at State & Main and miss my fellow employees everyday!!! The management goes above and beyond!
just like every other restaurant there is low ball offer for pay but 9 times outta 10 there are great people to work with. would go back if most of the same crew was there
It’s a job that you enjoy working at, but at the end of the day, you don’t take home enough for the effort you put in. The hours can be long, and days off are inconsistent. The people make it great, but management is always thinking of the dollars. Whether that means low-balling a raise, or an initial salary; or cutting your hours down so they can make they’re lower than average labour cost percentages. You end up overworking yourself while you are there, and not taking home enough to justify your efforts. And raises get put off for months at a time, even with constant reminders.
I worked at the downtown location and struggled significantly with management. None of the managers care about their job or what goes on in the restaurant so there is frequent chaos. Great people to work with and have made a lot of friends but it was frustrating at times.