STARTEK

STARTEK Management reviews

Working in a call centre is pretty stressful for many reasons:Customers who call in are angry, often rude when not abusive, constant pressure from management to take more call, policies that are sometimes contradictory, and the constant monitoring! This is not unique to Startek but rather the business model of call centres.Startek went to great lengths to ease the stress and sometimes actually succeeded.
Pros
Free lunches and treats
Cons
Constant monitoring
A high stress work environment with a company that only cares about profit, statistics and act as though people are disposable. You rarely get help during escalations and have to wait so long for assistance that your handling time increases which you will get hear about as a warning and this is after coming off calls where people call you names because you don’t have the tools to help them or they ask for things you aren’t allowed to give them like a new iPhone for free or erasing their debt, meanwhile you aren’t allowed to tell them no. The mandatory upselling that follows tend to upset the already angry customer further. If you don’t upsell you’ll get a warning for that too. Basically you’ll get yelled at by customers for things that are out of your control even though you do everything you can to help only to be told you aren’t doing well enough even if you’re among the top performing employees. This is a great work environment if you enjoy panic attacks and seeing friends in tears but it wasn’t for me. It took me years to recover my mental health from the damage this job caused.
Pros
Benefits, making friends in fellow reps. There are some really good people in this terrible job.
Cons
Mental health issues, anxiety, depression.
I really like startek i was surprised when i had basically passed away they put me on a LOA it took 3 days to bring me back and my job was the least of my worry they really took care of me. they made my recovery smooth most company's would of fired you or hold you responsible. the people there are supper they know what life throws at you like working for the US compancy as well
Pros
everything
Cons
really none
I worked there for 12 years, made some great friends, but other than that, it was poorly managed. Time off requests are a joke, i applied for my wedding time off, 6 months before, it took them 1 week before i got married to get my honeymoon and wedding off. There have been a few people who have died because they never got holidays for over 2 years. They burn you out, and nearly kill you mentally. Their benefits program is lousy only 60% coverage. A typical day at Startek is very stressful. Unless your kissing butt all the time, you are not going to get far, the job isnt worth the stress of management not helping you. No one is helpful at this place. All the positive messages that are on here are from people who were paid to put positive messages about Startek. (i found out that from someone who is getting paid to post positive messages)This is the Startek location in Canada, they are doing everything to burn people out and get them out of Kingston. They are only open because they have found people who treat others terribly. They have no cafeteria, their fun activities are meant for children under 10.
I made some amazing friends from working here. However, having to deal with people screaming at you all day on the phones does start to get to you eventually. The pay here is awful, it's barely above minimum wage even though the job itself does require some skill and they work you hard for the full shift so I believe you should be getting paid a bit more. I was a part of the company when they allowed us to work from home and it then became apparent how much the company does not care about us at all. The equipment and systems just don't work properly and as a result the employees who are having issues have a poor scorecard. In my experience and many others that I've talked to, they have been giving out what they call "correctionals" which are basically a demerit on your employment record and if you get too many you can be fired. I have personally gotten two, one for my calls dropping due to my systems not working (not even my fault), and one for not making scorecard (once again, not my fault because of my technical issues). I honestly thought highly of management until all of this. It's really not a bad place to work if you're just looking for a filler job until you find something better as it's pretty easy to get hired here and the people that work here are honestly awesome people.
Pros
they have free food sometimes
Cons
good shifts are impossible to get
At Startek it is what it is... If you can work somewhere else you will probably be happier there. Only apply here if there is nothing else for you and you need to pay your bills and your debt. Startek is famous for its poor reputation only because the customers are so terrible. The employees, supervisors, and managers are amazing and do everything in their power to make work a comfortable place, but the customers most of the time are rude and could care less that you are also in fact a human being. Don't work here if you are sensitive.
Short and sweet. It was a challenging job but quite fun. Management ruined it for me. Other than that I prob would have stayed longer. I would work in this setting again of the opportunity was there
The new client can make things challenging, frustrating, but also at times rewarding. Call center environments do typically have higher turnover than the average job, especially when there is a distinct lack of performance incentives. The nature of the current client is you are expected to show up day-in day-out. You have to be willing to handle aggressive personalities and policies you may not agree with for a slowly moving pay-scale. The culture is a bit like a clique sometimes. If you are an introvert, do not expect any favors or people (including management) helping you. If you aren't part of the "clique" you can expect job advancement to move as slow as molasses. One of the biggest wedges among staff is requesting time off. If you have a good working relationship with management and your supervisor, you can get whatever days off you want. If you just show up to do your job, and do it well, then expect management to keep you chained to your desk as long as possible. The only incentives that they have had regularly (prior to the coronavirus situation) is working extra time. This is so they can continue to give their friends time off but still meet the client's expectations. The employment situation is not all bad. You can communicate with some very interesting people. There isn't any pressure getting customers off of the phone. Hypocrisy is present, but most jobs have varying levels of hypocrisy.
I was told very early not to question or challenge management and to not expect recognition for a job well done. Was not disappointed! Not a great place to work if you have self esteem issues.
StarTek is lacking in transparency and inadequately compensates staff for the work they are required to do. Minor amenities in the building, but a pool table and massage chair does not cut it for the amount of micromanagement experienced. Lax on maintenance both of the building and equipment
At first things were great. Training was absolutely wonderful, and the HR people were great. As soon as we hit the floor after training all professionalism went out the window. There was almost no support, the job requirements kept changing, stress levels got higher each week. By far the worst job I've ever worked. I'm actually embarrassed to put it on my resume.
This place is exactly like many of the negative reviews . In fact it's worse. Mega clicky environment if you don't fit in you'll be either ignored, talked about or bullied passively by management and co workers. Its who you know and those with friends here get the best shifts, can slack be late and they watch their backs and dont get fired. Training is seriously a nightmare because it is so boring and made for 8 year olds or younger. You have to sit in class and play silly games in a group and answer the most childish questions like why you shouldn't say bad words etc. If you are in a class where others goof around, are loud make rude comments and you complain, management will do nothing. They talk about policy and rules for bullying, harrassment but there is racism, sexism and bullying and even when they know and its reported they do zero to address it. If you dont want to play their games or join in in one of their huddles or food sharing then you will be hated and you won't last there. One woman I met told me she's been their for over 10 years and stays because she has health issues and is up there in years and she feels she's doesn't wany retrain somewhere else or change. She told me that nobody likes her and she always hears negative things about her but she said she doesn't care because A) she's used to it and B) she ignores it. She told me she doesn't socialize but doesn't get fired because of her she's been there so long and performs high so they dont care. No point in complaining. She said it's the worst seeing supervisors in their 20s that can't do their - more...
Absolutely the worst management!! Ever wonder why this company is always hiring?? No ownership, most of their systems don't track stats properly.!! Pathetic company!
Terrible place to work for minimum wage. Company does not care about their employees at all. Extremely stressful. Frequent issues with pay discrepancy's. HR is useless, this place should be shut down.
I am not happy that I work at Startek. The company itself is deteriorating very quickly. There is a very high turn over rate. I stress going to work every day. I dread seeing management, the atmosphere is very negative.
Treat you likes number. Poor management. Shift work . Calls had be 100 percent customer is always right.always had to have telephone smile when in fact it was fake.
Some departments were better than others but it really comes down to management and how the company cares very little about the employees. Time off is impossible to get, and they are not flexible with scheduling at all. Also when I started there they were well above minimum wage and now they are just at minimum wage. Raises are also extremely hard to get.
It was good to work there. Some management was not great (very few places are) but for the most part it was good. Lots of good people to work with and decent work itself. Too bad they closed, i would have worked longer.
Pros
Good people working
Cons
Place is now closed
Startek was a fun place to work there was a playful atmosphere, from Nerf gun wars to games and pot lucks. overall it was a fun experience. there was proper training when new services came out and management was on the ball and barley passed the buck.
Pros
was about the employees and how they can make things beter
Cons
long hours at 12 hr shifts
This job is not for someone who enjoys being active and moving around. You sit at a desk all day and get screamed at by customers on the phone for issues.
Overall, they did fine by me. Annual reviews were generally on time, and raises given. Had lots of fun -- you can't shirk the phone calls, so be ready to work. Pressure, ultimately, is what you put on yourself, rather than by management.