STARTEK

STARTEK Employee Reviews

Canada204 reviews
Last Resort
At Startek it is what it is... If you can work somewhere else you will probably be happier there. Only apply here if there is nothing else for you and you need to pay your bills and your debt. Startek is famous for its poor reputation only because the customers are so terrible. The employees, supervisors, and managers are amazing and do everything in their power to make work a comfortable place, but the customers most of the time are rude and could care less that you are also in fact a human being. Don't work here if you are sensitive.
Placement Student
I really enjoyed my time at STARTEK. I learned skills I can move forward with and the team there is amazing! They have a very open and fun workplace culture and do a lot with the employees.
Short and sweet. It was a challenging job but quite fun. Management ruined it for me. Other than that I prob would have stayed longer. I would work in this setting again of the opportunity was there
Love startek
Friendly, professional fast pace work environment with lots of room to grow. Once you put in the work you'll be awarded for it. Team leads and team managers are very helpful
In one word- Inconsistent.
The new client can make things challenging, frustrating, but also at times rewarding.

Call center environments do typically have higher turnover than the average job, especially when there is a distinct lack of performance incentives. The nature of the current client is you are expected to show up day-in day-out. You have to be willing to handle aggressive personalities and policies you may not agree with for a slowly moving pay-scale.

The culture is a bit like a clique sometimes. If you are an introvert, do not expect any favors or people (including management) helping you. If you aren't part of the "clique" you can expect job advancement to move as slow as molasses.

One of the biggest wedges among staff is requesting time off. If you have a good working relationship with management and your supervisor, you can get whatever days off you want. If you just show up to do your job, and do it well, then expect management to keep you chained to your desk as long as possible.

The only incentives that they have had regularly (prior to the coronavirus situation) is working extra time. This is so they can continue to give their friends time off but still meet the client's expectations.

The employment situation is not all bad. You can communicate with some very interesting people. There isn't any pressure getting customers off of the phone. Hypocrisy is present, but most jobs have varying levels of hypocrisy.
Rewarding if you like overtime
Overtime is optional, but there is plenty of it available, and usually with a decent bonus pay. If you like working overtime, this can be a very good job for you, and better paying than a lot of others because of it.
HR not very professional.
I was told very early not to question or challenge management and to not expect recognition for a job well done. Was not disappointed! Not a great place to work if you have self esteem issues.
Loved the energy
Loved it when I was working there, but heard they've changed a lot since. Lots of incentive programs, job's fast paced but you're trained well. People are awesome, and I actually made a lot of friends while working there.
Not worth the stress
StarTek is lacking in transparency and inadequately compensates staff for the work they are required to do. Minor amenities in the building, but a pool table and massage chair does not cut it for the amount of micromanagement experienced. Lax on maintenance both of the building and equipment
See below
Job expectations are not aligned with compensation and benefits. It became extremely difficult to retain top talent as those individuals were able to secure similar employment elsewhere in the community for better pay and benefits. The training program at STARTEK was very good however often we were simply training entry level candidates that would stay only a short period then move on to a position with another employer in the area
Horrific company
At first things were great. Training was absolutely wonderful, and the HR people were great.
As soon as we hit the floor after training all professionalism went out the window. There was almost no support, the job requirements kept changing, stress levels got higher each week. By far the worst job I've ever worked. I'm actually embarrassed to put it on my resume.
Beware of this company only work here if you are seriously desperate or a student!
This place is exactly like many of the negative reviews . In fact it's worse. Mega clicky environment if you don't fit in you'll be either ignored, talked about or bullied passively by management and co workers. Its who you know and those with friends here get the best shifts, can slack be late and they watch their backs and dont get fired. Training is seriously a nightmare because it is so boring and made for 8 year olds or younger. You have to sit in class and play silly games in a group and answer the most childish questions like why you shouldn't say bad words etc. If you are in a class where others goof around, are loud make rude comments and you complain, management will do nothing. They talk about policy and rules for bullying, harrassment but there is racism, sexism and bullying and even when they know and its reported they do zero to address it. If you dont want to play their games or join in in one of their huddles or food sharing then you will be hated and you won't last there. One woman I met told me she's been their for over 10 years and stays because she has health issues and is up there in years and she feels she's doesn't wany retrain somewhere else or change. She told me that nobody likes her and she always hears negative things about her but she said she doesn't care because A) she's used to it and B) she ignores it. She told me she doesn't socialize but doesn't get fired because of her she's been there so long and performs high so they dont care. No point in complaining.
She said it's the worst seeing supervisors in their 20s that can't do their
 - more...
had fun stuff for the staff to do well on brakes.
fun place to work, just long hours and lots of overtime. It was a good start to getting into the business career, you get to understand other culters and about phone plans.
Pros
Message chair and tables
Cons
Don't apply
Absolutely the worst management!!
Ever wonder why this company is always hiring??

No ownership, most of their systems don't track stats properly.!!

Pathetic company!
Productive work place with a pool table and a table tennis table
taking calls is medium to high stress
using the provided tools is medium to high stress

working with supervisors and managment is low to medium stress

pay rate is $15.50

i learned time managment, problem solving, communication,

the best part of working there was the people i worked with.
Good work
Good place to work. Fun atmosphere. Good place for fast advancement. Good incentives and benefits. Access to transit system and bus pass discount. Always fun activities going on. Good place to meet friends and coworkers.
Terrible
Terrible place to work for minimum wage. Company does not care about their employees at all. Extremely stressful. Frequent issues with pay discrepancy's. HR is useless, this place should be shut down.
Always very busy, burning people out
I am not happy that I work at Startek. The company itself is deteriorating very quickly. There is a very high turn over rate. I stress going to work every day. I dread seeing management, the atmosphere is very negative.
Hated working there
Treat you likes number. Poor management. Shift work . Calls had be 100 percent customer is always right.always had to have telephone smile when in fact it was fake.
Busy , sociable and fun. Always something new each day
Always different from day to day when it came to job responsibilities and loved the employees I worked with. Team driven atmosphere. Individual success was important as the company always provided new training procedures
A decent job for those straight out of high school or new to Kingston.
Strict policies, fun atmosphere, 40% angry customers. It's a call centre job. If you are diligent, have a great personality on the phone, and do not use all your sick days, you can move up in the company within 2 years to a supervisory role, should that be your goal.