STARSKY FINE FOODS INC

STARSKY FINE FOODS INC Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
Busy Workplace with short breaks.
Very very busy weekends with long shifts and only 15 minute breaks with no actual time to eat your food. Managers breathe down your neck for no reason. You could be doing your work and they would still find something negative to say to you. Our warehouse is detached from the store so we have to go outside in order to access it. This results in going out in very poor weather conditions (Snow, rain, etc) Coolers are always so messy, unorganized and dirty. Customers have no respect and some co workers do not either. Sometimes when they do not have enough people in other departments because they do not hire properly, they proceed to take people from different departments, specifically produce. In addition, you have no say, they just take you and you have to obey it.
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
Short breaks, have to go outside in negative weather, unorganized, smelly
Tiring and Stressful Workplace
This was a bad experience for me. The managers did not account for the fact that I was a student and they didn't have flexible hours whatsoever. They will have their favourite workers who will be allowed to slack off and talk to others while leaving you more work. They are quick to yell and some hardly speak good English. You must be prepared to get attitude from many customers. It is the busiest and most stressful department in the store. You will get very tired on your feet. You will get thrown into the job and are expected to know everything with minimum training. I recommend you do not work here. If you are able to deal with ticked off customers, remember a lot of information, cut meat accurately, and handle unfair management then you could possibly withstand this job.
Should not have stayed for as long as I did
Two and a half years and I know exactly what not to buy from grocery stores and have a great appreciation for the people that work their. All and all thou made some good friends and have a lot of memories I will never forget.
Loved working there staff was pleasent to work with
Lots of regulars that are a joy to see everyday. Paid brakes. If you don't mind the long hours on your feet, it's a good place to work. They will work around your schedule as best as they can.
As a buyer
A huge number of duties, you just have to be able to do everything from ordering prouducts, cooperating with clients and emplyees....etc.
Very busy environment.
Good place to work with
It was little annoying with bagging thing but after 5-6 months they started charging it so there was some relax to cashiers.
Also a lot of hours are thrown on you in the month of dec and Jan

Else whole winters you cry for working hours

Co workers are really helpful

Managers are really positive

But after once they don’t give you any smart serve token even you fail once and insists you to purchase the next time on your own.
Fun workplace
I love to work in Starsky fine food the management is good and the salary is direct deposit into my account but it is not enough for my food industry level experienced .Good people .fast faced environment did not bothered me I had a good experienced with their system. Polish groceries store, and most of the workers ,sometimes it is hard to understand their language ,some costumer cannot speak English at all but still I called my other workers to translate into English so I can serve them .Good hours schedule at day time only, I have a good hours in a week even par-time position only ,easy to learn their system with good trainings. Flexible schedule .
Good place
Nice place to start your carrier in Canada
Paid breaks - if no more than 15 minutes

Flexible schedule

Nice diversity

Fine management

Paid vacation each cheque
Productive and fun workplace
Amazing place to work at. It was a very good place to gain experience as a Customer Service Representative. I also had a flexible schedule which was good.
Busy, friendly coworkers, good environment
Enjoy working there but discount given to employees should be better, no benefits gif full time employees & pay d sad houle be higher as it’s tiring and fast paced. Also breaks given are horrible (only 15 min breaks at a time; upto 8 hr shift only has 2 15min breaks & 8+ hrs you get 3 15 min breaks, though whole shifts are paid for)
Great Staff
Management is always looking for ways to improve the workplace environment. It is a very safe, friendly and welcoming place to work and employees are always listened to in terms of needs, suggestions and are always praised for their hard work.
Pros
Flexible schedule, friendly staff
pretty good job with strict managment
The job was pretty good, if you show them you are a hard worker they will give you many hours and they are pretty reasonable with time off. only one thing that was bad was the strict management, they were very unreasonable at times. other than that, great job.
New managers needed
Okay job. Only major problems are the managers. Hire new managers for this location and it's possible there could be more positive reviews. Current managers don't care.
full time Shipper/ Receiver. store 1
Great place to work Beautiful stores, friendly staff. Management is very professional. Busy but organized. Every one knows what is expected of them. Learned many different languages ( Greetings at least. Customer appreciation is huge here. If you do not shop here, get on it!!! amazing #1 customer service.
Pros
Team environment, Honesty in job position as advertised, fun work place, staff is world class.
Cons
you can be your own worst enemy
Was ok
Worked at the Aurora location for a few months people were great that I worked with a lot of the customers were older and very rude. management was horrible and our breaks were only 15 minutes they never gave you the full half-hour for your lunch always had to be split up so never had enough time to eat.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Breaks
cashier
very fun time working for them, especially over the holidays, nice company with flexible schedules for students would recommend it but the cashier have to pack the items people purchase, the line up gets crazy on holidays
Okay place to work
Pretty basic cashiering job, nothing exceptional but nothing bad either. Would recommend as a starter job for high school students, its a decent group of people.
It was ok at first....
.... but things got worse, management would punish employees for requesting days off - which was allowed- or calling in sick. The work culture was toxic at times, some co-workers were - for lack of a better word - bullies, and management would not do anything about it.

Good place for temporary part-time work, not the place you want to get stuck at.
Hard Labour
They will work you 9 sometimes 10 hour days, only giving you 15 mins break at a time. You cannot combine them to take a longer break. It is incredibly busy all of the time. There is no room for advancing up, you will have to train new people who will gain a position higher than you. Treated horrible ie. if you work 8 hours you get 3-15 minute breaks. Will schedule you 7 hours and 45 minutes so you aren't entitled to one more break. Customers are extremely rude and harass the employees.
Pros
Good food
Cons
Long hours, poor management, harassment
Worst place to work at, unless you want to have only 15 min breaks thorughout the day
The supervisors are nice, but the head supervisor didn't appreciate my work, as well even though I only worked for a month they expexted too much of me even though it as going to take me a little bit longer to catch on.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Job hours, only 15 Minute breaks, always staying on your feet, poor salary
Easy going and a fun place to work at
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you meet from all over the world. Perfect job during school with flexible hours. Management is very accommodating.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at STARSKY FINE FOODS INC. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7