STARSKY FINE FOODS INC Employee Reviews

Terrible working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 November 2018
The working environment was extremely unhealthy and unprofessional. A lot of favouritism from the management and the supervisors. Some co-workers were very friendly and helpful. But again, I would not recommend this job to ANYONE.
Pros
In some cases they will be willing to make your schedule more accommodating for you (switch shifts, give more/less hours etc.)
Cons
Mean management and some supervisors, unequal treatment of employees, racism
Lack of Culture
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 November 2018
I think I was the only or first black woman/ person to ever work in this department/store. At first I experienced a lot of racist and sexism. I was extremely uncomfortable as their are many polish employees who thought they were better. The boss was unprofessional. Unprofessional atmosphere. Some of my co workers however were very helpful and welcoming but I wouldn't recommend this job to my enemy.
Cons
Lacks Ethnicity, Racist
horrible place to work
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 September 2018
I would never work here again. horrible place to work. no work life balance. Management does not know what they are doing. No professionalism in the stores. HR was not professional nor knew what they were doing.
Overall positive experience.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 September 2018
Overall I had a good experience working as a deli clerk. Shift work with rotational Sundays, flexible schedule, good atmosphere, management not the easiest to talk to.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 September 2018
It was a nice place to work, people were very nice and they thought me how to do things there, however sometimes, I was working full time, even if I was hired as part-time
decennt job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 August 2018
this was a decent first job. learned a bit about working.I worked all over the place at the store. I was in many departments. People there were nice but sometimes got on my nerves.
Nice place to work at
Meat Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 August 2018
Graet place to start your career and improve customer service skills to excellence. Nice and friendly co-workers. Flexible weekly schedule hours. Very clean store.
terrible
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 August 2018
Its by far the worst place you can possibly work at. Trust me , you can do better. The management is terrible and the customers are completely rude. Trust me.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
management
friendly place to work at
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  2040 Dundas St E, Mississauga, ON27 July 2018
i didn't work there much but the store was nice. friendly co-workers that i could communicate with easily. i would usually stack shelves on a typical day or help with other things. i learned new skills such as talking to customers.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
having to be in different departments each day
Would not come here again
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2018
I was a seasonal worker here. I was the only one put into a section with 10+ customers yelling at me. The supervisor and manager didn't do anything to help me, they didn't' even bring another worker to help me with all the customers.
Fun work place
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
I was here for my student co-op. The managers were very nice and I enjoyed going in. I helped with stocking shelves and general cleaning. It was a lot of fun and I would have loved to work there if I could.
Not a big fan
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2017
extremely bad and rude management that doesn't care about employees or quality of work. very sloppy system that gives inhumane treatment to workers. Not a fan
Pros
nice store
Cons
bad management
Toxic Environment
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2017
The supervisors do not speak English, and you are discriminated against if you are not Polish; this is portrayed through the many primitive behaviours of the Polish supervisors and managers.

You are basically interviewed and given a job the next day without having the chance to go through a real orientation training. Then, you are thrown into a job with very little training and with very high performance expectations which set you up for quick failure.

The work hours are inconsistent; in one week you are scheduled for 35 hours and in the other for 20 hours which makes it very difficult to keep up with the bills.

Overall, I would say this Company needs a definite improvement in their human resources practices and as a reminder to start really focusing on making employees happy rather than crucifying them for making small mistakes.
would not recommend full-time
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 October 2017
The job was simple, would not recommend full time there is no room for advancement, noticed the management would favour employees that spoke polish, and you could only obtain a customer service position if you did. the breaks were short to minimal, 15 minute breaks was not allowed to take a full 30 minutes, they would schedule you to work 7h45m so they wouldn't have to give you another break. you had to punch in and out for breaks and while starting your shift. if you were 1 minute late your pay was docked 15 minutes. the machine to punch in hours didn't even work half the time you would spend 5 minutes just trying to punch in and your pay was docked management did not care they did what they could to intimidate you into believing they were doing you a favour by docking your pay. was not consistent, some could do things without consequence while others couldn't. full time workers hated the job and part time workers did not seem to mind.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours on feet, short - minimal breaks
fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM13 July 2017
the staff are always in a good mood and the atmosphere is excellent. everyone is very helpful and kind. the salary is not enough when considering how much you do
I love working at Starsky!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 June 2017
Working at Starsky is a real meritocracy: you get what you put in. For those who work hard, show up for shifts and have a good attitude, you will get respect, raises and promotions. If you are lazy and a have a bad attitude, you probably won't like it here.

The staff is bright and helpful, there's a really great atmosphere of teamwork and camaraderie- most stay for years. With so many repeat customers, there's a family feel that's very warm and comfortable, I enjoy coming to work everyday and most of my co-workers feel the same.

Starsky is one of the few grocery stores that hires full time and are very good with vacation time and trying to find a job that is a good fit for the individual.

I've learned a lot at Starsky and have been given the opportunity to be creative and thoughtful on a daily basis. THere are always new challenges and always people to help when the challenges may seem too much.

Managers really care about the store and the staff. They are hands on, approachable and know every in and out of their respective departments.

I've been at Starsky 4 years and see myself there for many more.
Great Environment to Work at
Cheese Clerk (Former Employee) –  3115 Dundas Street West8 June 2017
I had a really enjoyable experience working at Starsky Fine Foods. All of my co workers were really fun and friendly which made it a nice place to work at. Management was also very understanding and approachable which made it a very nice work culture to be a part of. I would definitely recommend this company for anyone who was looking for work.
Pros
Great co-workers, managment and customers
Fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2017
Great place to work. Good company culture, friendly and fun coworkers. Fast pace and are given an opportunity to work with people from many different backgrounds. Able to learn a lot.
Pros
Workplace culture, decent pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2017
Was a great place to work so long as you did your job; people were great, management was kind and understanding. Became stressful at times and customers were often rude, but overall the job was enjoyable.
Great Staff as well as a great working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2017
As my first job, I was able to learn many things and gain a great experience. My co-workers were great and all my managers were very supportive. The hardest part of this job was sometimes there was a language barrier between myself and the customers as this was a European store.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STARSKY FINE FOODS INC. Our community is ready to answer.

STARSKY FINE FOODS INC Reviews by Location