STARSKY FINE FOODS INC Employee Reviews

Would not come here again
Service Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 March 2018
I was a seasonal worker here. I was the only one put into a section with 10+ customers yelling at me. The supervisor and manager didn't do anything to help me, they didn't' even bring another worker to help me with all the customers.
Fun work place
Co-op (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
I was here for my student co-op. The managers were very nice and I enjoyed going in. I helped with stocking shelves and general cleaning. It was a lot of fun and I would have loved to work there if I could.
Not a big fan
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2017
extremely bad and rude management that doesn't care about employees or quality of work. very sloppy system that gives inhumane treatment to workers. Not a fan
Pros
nice store
Cons
bad management
Toxic Environment
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 November 2017
The supervisors do not speak English, and you are discriminated against if you are not Polish; this is portrayed through the many primitive behaviours of the Polish supervisors and managers.

You are basically interviewed and given a job the next day without having the chance to go through a real orientation training. Then, you are thrown into a job with very little training and with very high performance expectations which set you up for quick failure.

The work hours are inconsistent; in one week you are scheduled for 35 hours and in the other for 20 hours which makes it very difficult to keep up with the bills.

Overall, I would say this Company needs a definite improvement in their human resources practices and as a reminder to start really focusing on making employees happy rather than crucifying them for making small mistakes.
fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM13 July 2017
the staff are always in a good mood and the atmosphere is excellent. everyone is very helpful and kind. the salary is not enough when considering how much you do
I love working at Starsky!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 June 2017
Working at Starsky is a real meritocracy: you get what you put in. For those who work hard, show up for shifts and have a good attitude, you will get respect, raises and promotions. If you are lazy and a have a bad attitude, you probably won't like it here.

The staff is bright and helpful, there's a really great atmosphere of teamwork and camaraderie- most stay for years. With so many repeat customers, there's a family feel that's very warm and comfortable, I enjoy coming to work everyday and most of my co-workers feel the same.

Starsky is one of the few grocery stores that hires full time and are very good with vacation time and trying to find a job that is a good fit for the individual.

I've learned a lot at Starsky and have been given the opportunity to be creative and thoughtful on a daily basis. THere are always new challenges and always people to help when the challenges may seem too much.

Managers really care about the store and the staff. They are hands on, approachable and know every in and out of their respective departments.

I've been at Starsky 4 years and see myself there for many more.
Great Environment to Work at
Cheese Clerk (Former Employee) –  3115 Dundas Street West8 June 2017
I had a really enjoyable experience working at Starsky Fine Foods. All of my co workers were really fun and friendly which made it a nice place to work at. Management was also very understanding and approachable which made it a very nice work culture to be a part of. I would definitely recommend this company for anyone who was looking for work.
Pros
Great co-workers, managment and customers
Fun place to work
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2017
Great place to work. Good company culture, friendly and fun coworkers. Fast pace and are given an opportunity to work with people from many different backgrounds. Able to learn a lot.
Pros
Workplace culture, decent pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2017
Was a great place to work so long as you did your job; people were great, management was kind and understanding. Became stressful at times and customers were often rude, but overall the job was enjoyable.
Great Staff as well as a great working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2017
As my first job, I was able to learn many things and gain a great experience. My co-workers were great and all my managers were very supportive. The hardest part of this job was sometimes there was a language barrier between myself and the customers as this was a European store.
Overall fun place to work at
Seafood Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 March 2017
Typical day at work would include stocking display with products. Management is always nice and easy-going. Most fellow co-workers are nice while others tend to take the job to seriously.
Severe language barriers & labour law violations
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 February 2017
In my time at this company, I witnessed various health and safety violations, as well as instances where basic labour laws were totally disregarded. The hardest part of the job was the language barrier.
Okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 January 2017
This place was okay to work for a short period of time, however advancement is hard, management needs improvement and the schedule should be improved as well. Overall, it's not a bad place to work, but management certainly needs to be better trained and made sure they are fit for the job.
Cons
Long hours standing in one spot
don't work here
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Dundas, ON23 November 2016
unless you're doing something in the office, aka HR work or other documentation work, do not work here. The customers are rude, management is rude, and nothing is organized.
Pros
sometimes the people
Cons
management, hours, lack of respect to workers, no benefits, no compensation for sick leave
Not as great as people would think
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winston Churchill West21 October 2016
I began the job thinking that it would a great place to start, not being European kinda made it more difficult a lot of the brands there I have never seen before and it took some time
To get used to finding everything. Random people came up to me talking in another language and I could only respond in English. Management gave me a week to get used to everything while another coworker told me he got 2 weeks, not being European white is a disadvantage working here. Management is salty here to thru garbage in my cart and walked away like it was nothing.
Pros
Hours are great
Cons
Supervisor can't speak English, makes your job sound harder
Bad place to work
deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga ,Dundas West4 September 2016
Deli Clerk:
Try to not get job on Deli. Both supervisors don't speak English and understand not too much and sometimes wrong. They don't know how to work with theirs team. Too much racism.
The rules are not the same for everyone.
You are treated as an inferior person.Both Supervisor lie and gossip. Old polish communist mentality.
Even for polish workers this place is the worst work experience.
For regular workers less hours . For some workers" unlimited".

PS: On cheese department pretty close, same atmosphere.
Pros
minimum wage job
Cons
too many
Good place to work, great beginning job
Hot Food/Pastry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON1 September 2016
The job was not overwhelming - there were many different departments, offering many different opportunities to work. The coworkers were friendly, and being bilingual was an asset. The responsibilities were manageable, and you always had help from your coworkers. I had a great experience working here.
Pros
early closing times, tasks were not difficult
Cons
difficult customers
Enjoyable fun workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  685 Queenston Rd, Hamilton, ON L8G 1A112 August 2016
On a regular day at work I engage with many customers and co-workers. As a Deli Clerk, a large portion of the environment is based on the emotions of the customers and the employees. Because this job requires a large scale of customer service, it is very important that the employees do not make a customer feel unhappy or mistreat a customer. I have learned how to properly approach customers and make sure their experience was positive by thanking them for their service and to have a good day. This allows the customer to feel welcomed and appreciated, which will most likely result in them returning. I have also learned how to properly label and handle chemichals and the tools used in the workplace. Preventing any accidents and illnesses are very important therefore proper care is vital in this type of work. The hardest part about my job is dealing with unhappy co-workers and management. often times, the rules are changed and minipulated based on who it is reguarding, finding it unequal and discriminant. Dealing with co-workers who bring their personal problems to work is also another issue that I find at my current job.
Pros
Social Environment
Cons
Too personal
Face paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2016
On a daily basis I would work as a cashier. My role was to checkout customers, handle debit/credit/cash transactions, resolve minor customer issues, maintain cleanliness, keep the till neat & organized. Management was rude, co-workers were helpful and easy to talk to. Hardest part of the job was the rush before Christmas. Most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends
Pros
lot's of hours
Cons
Lunches were short, rude management
Some of the nicest people you will ever work with.
Frozen Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 June 2016
Everybody is extremely friendly, even if you don't speak any other language they'll make you feel welcome. Even along the way, you'll learn a bit of polish.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STARSKY FINE FOODS INC. Our community is ready to answer.