Starbucks Employee Reviews

Good benefits, but...
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 March 2018
Can be a fun and supportive place to work, depending on the specific store. Turnover rate is really high (You'll see almost an entirely new team at a given store every 6-9 months). It's a good place to develop cashiering, barista, and customer service experience. If you're committed, the supervisor position is not hard to earn. However, you won't grow much past that. I'd honestly say the store manager doesn't do that much more than what the supervisors can. You essentially only have 1 path of promotion: Barista --> Shift Supervisor --> Assistant Store Manager --> Store Manager --> District Manager, etc. So if that's not the thing for you, most people will quit after being promoted to shift supervisor.
Pros
Free markout every week, and up to 5 free drinks on an 8-hour shift
Cons
The managers are really hit or miss
Enjoyable, friendly environment
Barista/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC20 March 2018
In depth training regards to coffee knowledge, beverage sequencing etc. Friendly and knowledgable shift supervisors and managers to help you wherever you need it
Customer friendly experience
Barista (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 March 2018
Starbucks is a very fun and friendly work environment with a great staff. It is a calm workplace and you get to know all your customers very well and build relationships with them.
Pros
discount
Cons
can be dead sometimes
Fun Workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 March 2018
I loved working at Starbucks as it provided a lot of connections both for personal and through making connections with the regulars. Management was great, and I got to move up as they invested in my contributions to the team.
Pros
Free drinks, great team, awesome people
Positive & Supportive Work Environment
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
My team members and I got along really well and I viewed my shifts there as an opportunity to take a break from everything happening in my own life and to just focus on work and relax.
Great Experience
Cashier / Barista (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2018
Really enjoy this job.
You have a good training when you start, the team was super nice and welcome to teach anything even if the store is super busy.
fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 March 2018
Starbucks was one of the best jobs I have ever had. The work environment is fun, the relationships you build with your team and the regular customers make you never want to leave. I never experienced a negative day at work.
Fun Workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2018
Everyone I worked with was younger and around my age, we all seemed to get along which made the 5 am opening shifts bearable. There was a lot of pushing by management to go above and beyond even though they were clear that there were no incentives to do any more than the bare minimum. It's a great work environment although most of the higher-ups are hired outside of the company limiting how far you can really climb after you become a shift.

It's a great little job for the benefits and free coffee
Pros
free coffee, good benifits
Cons
early shifts, little pay / balanced raises
Good student job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 March 2018
For a student in Highschool it was a very good first job. I was able to gain many skills that will help me with future careers. I enjoyed the experience I gained at this company but I do wish I was able to take a leave to go to school then come back on breaks and in the summer
Strong operating system and training system
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC19 March 2018
Starbucks has the best system in terms of operating and training. In fact every organization should study and learn something from this company. I have learned so much and it will benefit me for my entire life.
A positive work experience, a little bit too serious
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 March 2018
A great place to work overall, must be willing to let customers come first in every situation. Many policies are in place that may seem silly, but overall and amazing company to work for if you want to take your retail job very seriously.
Pros
Good environment, usually fun, good management
Cons
Messy, long hours, standing a lot
Good
Barista (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 March 2018
Good job reliable hours. The company offers a lot of benefits to its employees such as stocks in the company itself. The location is well managed and staff morale is high.
agood place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2018
busy always running around like a chicken with there heads cut off .i learn to make lots of different types of coffees and teas ,most enjoyable part was meeting new people
good but not good pay
Lead Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver International Airport17 March 2018
working is fun but getting paid for that work is not so fun. they should look into increasing pay. benefits are good. work life is so much fun. you like to work when you know you have same kind of people there.
Fun place to work and make honest connections
Barista (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC16 March 2018
Starbucks is a company that claims to be very inclusive and caring for their partners. While this is true most of the time there have been moments where I have felt uncomfortable expressing my honest thoughts. There is also , usually, very blatant favouritism which i am not terribly fond of. Outside of management though the job is lovely. It is nice to be able to invest in the customers and have them invest in you.
Pros
free drinks, fun atmosphere
Cons
hard to progress in the company
Productive and fun environment
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 March 2018
Working at Starbucks is definitely been one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. I’ve made a few amazing friends. I always have a blast during my shifts. Yes sometimes the days can feel like they go on forever, but then one of your regulars comes in and you forget all about the rude customers you had earlier. You get to make someone’s sucky day better
Pros
Free drinks during shift, amazing discount, amazing co-workers
Cons
The odd rude customer
Best job I have ever had
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2018
The pay at first is minimum wage but there is multiple opportunities to move up in the company. The co-workers/management are amazing and super friendly.
There is never a dull moment if you interact with the customers and coworkers. There is always something to do/something to learn. I moved up within the company in 6 months.
The hardest part of the job is initially learning all the drinks but once you get that down it's a breeze!
Pros
Free coffee and discounts on products, benefits
Cons
Minimum wage to start
Summary
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 March 2018
Management at stores is lacking in organization. I enjoyed seeing my regular customers. Pretty simple job to work on a strict scheduled, with well running staff.
Pros
Benefits. I like Coffee.
Cons
Nothing is set in stone. Customers are mean.
Great place to work at.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Euclid, Toronto14 March 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working with customers there and the team made it seem like I was surrounded by a close family. Although it was hectic at times, I liked the environment.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Not enough hours
great job for students
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
great job for students. easy to work around your school schedule.
decent benefits and pay. incentives for finishing school. fun work environment, and good management for the mostpart

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

59.1K