Starbucks Employee Reviews

Starbucks Canada
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2018
Good job for a short term duration. Over time, the company kept asking for more yet not much was given in return. Customers are often rude and management does not due enough to help partners get ahead.
Benefits
Cons
Minimum wage
Great place to be part of a dynamic team.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Canada29 March 2018
Fast paced, supportive working culture that really helps expand your coffee, tea, and food pairing knowledge with pastries and beverages. It's a great starting point for learning how to effective be a part of a team as well as have a supportive environment for turning weaknesses into strengths on and off the floor.
Pros
Partner discounts, supportive coworkers
Cons
High volume, difficult to get time off
workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC29 March 2018
healthy and fun environment to work, we treat each other as family, help is available anytime and we trust each other. Our manager is very easy to approach.
Fun place to work
Barista, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
Great place to work but you dont get many hours so part time is ideal and wouldnt recomend if this is your primary source of income! howevere fun place to learn and accomplish goals
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Not many hours
energetic environment and productive workspace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2018
It is a energetic, welcoming environment with amazing co-workers. It is a space with room to fail and learn even more and grow your barista skills as well as your social skills.
Good, solid work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON26 March 2018
It was a licensed kiosk, so most of our directions came from the Safeway/Sobey's side of things. For what it was, I loved working there and would do it again.
Fun place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2018
Very flexible, and great company to work for. You get great perks like free drinks, as well as stocks with the company that you can either cash out every year or let it build through your time at starbucks.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Fun but busy workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 March 2018
I enjoyed my time with the company and met great people. The hours are long but go by quickly because of how busy it gets. Great perks and compensation.
Cons
You will learn a lot meet some amazing people and have no life outside work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 March 2018
Your Experiences may be different in other districts and areas... you will learn lots of things about business, inventory, scheduling, employee relations and customer service. You are expected to do schedules (scheduling software is terrible and time consuming) attend very long meetings, do inventory, rollouts, conduct employee reviews, do interviews, review promotional guides, but you will not be given enough hours to get it done. This is not a 40 hour a week job. More realistic is 50-55 hours a week. I was expected to be on the floor 34-35 hours a week. New tasks were assigned all the time with no extra time allowed.
You are expected to run labour within very small margins (10-15 minutes a day) with no way of being sure you have achieved it until the day is over.
You are expected to give world class service but not given enough hours to do it well.
Pros
Benefits, the other managers, staff
Cons
Long hours, constant change badly communicated, ambiguity
Fun Job - Coworkers were too uptight, dress code rules are ridiculous
Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 March 2018
Fun Job - Coworkers were too uptight, dress code rules are ridiculous. No piercings, no tattoos, all black, short sleeves, had to buy own shoes, "natural" coloured hair only
Best Place to Work
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 March 2018
Great environment for anyone to work in. Whether you’re in school or looking for casual work Starbucks is there to accommodate your every need. I enjoyed my 3 years with the company very much.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Busy place to work
Great Company, But experience varies from store to store.
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
great company to work for. however, certain working environments isn't consistent across the board. you may like the store that you are placed but once they decide to put you elsewhere. you wont have much of a say. there is also a 50/50 chance that you may dislike your store based on your manager, customers, area, etc.
Pros
One of the best benefits out there plus more.
Cons
Experience will vary from store to store, Manager to Manager, DM to DM.
Fun and hard
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2018
very hard job
learned how to make drinks
manage yourselves
very whitewashed place
hardest part is memorizing all recipes
enjoyable thing is interacting with customers
Great to work as a barista. Intense pressure in management.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 March 2018
Unrealistic expectations of what a human is capable of doing in assistant manager and up positions. Great fun as a shift supervisor and barista. Awesome job for students. Flexible hours, vacation pay, benefits and coffee.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful.
Very pleasurable experience working at Starbucks.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE22 March 2018
A typical day of work for the majority portion of my job was to make beverages, but mainly stay on cash.
I learned so much about culture, as well as developed a deeper understanding of what coffee is all about.
I came to learn the specific orders of customers and got to know them more and more on a daily basis, and eventually developed relationships with said customers.
Each employee that I had the pleasure of working with had beautiful personalities and heaps of intelligence.
The hardest part of the job was meshing in with the other employees. I am a quite shy until I find the opportunity to come out of my shell and express my personality.
The management I will say was slightly disorganized. The head manager would scold me in front of customers when I made a mistake, which I was initially told mistakes were expected for the first month at least. This is partly why I left the job, but overall I have no regrets and absolutely loved working at Starbucks!
Pros
Free drinks before and after shifts as well as during break times.
Cons
Not enough hours.
great
Cashier/ Food Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2018
It was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed most of the people I worked with and I really enjoyed the customers and how kind they were. The benefits were such a huge bonus as well.
Fun workplace with the right people
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
I've worked at more than one starbucks location and my first store was the best work experience that I've ever had - supportive staff and supervisors, excellent training opportunities, wonderful customer experience, and support from your team when you needed it.

I've also worked at a store where the management was unsupportive, placed blame on the staff for faults rather than working together to overcome obstacles, and worked you to the bone rather than treating you as a person. Starbucks does work hard to try and rid these types of managers from the field, but a few do slip through and they will make the whole experience less than favourable.

Overall, the benefits are wonderful for the kind of job that it is, with tuition reimbursement available for students, stocks for all employees, and RRSP matching contributions. I would go back and work for the company, but if you find yourself in a store where the management isn't ideal, just switch locations. The benefits are only worth it if you're working with the right team.
Pros
Free beverages, free coffee/tea weekly, tuition reimbursement for students, RRSP contributions, flexible schedule, great customer relations and customer service training
fun fast paced good wages
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON22 March 2018
what an amazing company to work for it was fun learned a lot of new skills as well Id highly recommend it! The management was great and the hours were flexible according to your availibilty
I love working here.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
Great memories, great training, and a typical day at work includes responsible coworkers and supervisors.
The hardest part of the job may be dealing with a morning rush, but it's also very satisfying to have a great rush.
Pros
Free drinks
Don't get paid enough for what is expected
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
As a store manager there is no support. You are left to figure out the job and their expectations are unattainable. There is no work life balance and working 60 hours weeks. I got in trouble when I already worked a 12 hours day and didn't stay to cover a barista shift who called in sick. I was told that it is expected of me to work lots of over time.
I love what the company does for their partners and the community, but they have no idea how to take care of their managers.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance; no support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

59.1K