Starbucks Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Overworked
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON23 May 2018
Overworked, no support from management. Work life balance did not exist. I had to quit because my heath wasn’t able to handle it. My DM expected us to be “on” 24-7 (sorry but that’s unacceptable).
Pros
Markouts
Cons
Pay, hours
Great Company for Benefits and Culture
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
Starbucks is a great company to work for if you want better culture and good benefits. The organization does put an emphasis on training and development which is very important. I'll miss it when I move on. However it can be very political - more than someone with a background in politics enjoys. You wouldn't think so but it's pretty sad.
Great if you're not a store manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2018
The company was great to work for if you weren't a store manager. As a store manager though, you became expected to work anytime even on days off or already having working a full shift that day if someone decided not to show up.

There was a great team environment but the culture of no work-life balance was common among management across the board.
Pros
Great team
Cons
long hours, no support from upper management
Just okay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2018
Holds reasonably true to the image but there is definitely still a reasonable amount of turnover and the typical problems of most service industry companies are still there such as employees not showing up for shifts causing staff shortages. Busy periods are incredibly busy and the focus on speed at the drive through is bordering on causing quality and service issues.
Pros
Staff discount/free beverages are very good. Bean stock option
Cons
Long shifts, military atmosphere
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON7 May 2018
Great place to work. Biggest downside is that they ask alot of you. And although work life balance is preached it's not respected. Be willing to dedicate all you time, and getting away from your phone will be a thing of the past.
Pros
The culture, partners, and customers
Cons
long hours, lots of last minute work loads
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2018
Starbucks was a great place to be a store manager. I was able to work closely with my staff and help my staff develop the necessary skills to excel in customer service. They have a great training program and as stated is a fun environment to be a part of.
Fun, but lack of work life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Consistent high turnover in upper management leading to inconsistent direction.

Benefits are great, especially the yearly grant of stocks.

The company needs to work on how they treat Store Managers.
Great Enviroment
Store Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada12 April 2018
Great environment to learn and grow. great atmosphere among emplyees, flexible hours great with great benefits . great leader ship team, in stores, district and corprate
Amazing company!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 April 2018
Love this conpany, and for more than just the AMAZING coffee! The people are incredible, advanced thinking open hearted souls, and the customers are even better!
Pros
Free weekly markout
Cons
Discontinued Keurig kcups
Great culture, hours are exhausting
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2018
Great company culture, wonderful company, inspiring CEO. However the hours you are expected to work are insane. You will need to work 55 hours a week for the first year in order to make a dent in your KPI.s
Pros
Great company culture
Cons
Inhuman amount of hours

Want to know more about Starbucks?

Ask a question
fast paced and diverse
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 April 2018
Starbucks was a great place to work. I loved the customers and the team I was able to create. It became very demanding and I didn't feel as appreciated by upper management as I feel I should of been.
You will learn a lot meet some amazing people and have no life outside work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 March 2018
Your Experiences may be different in other districts and areas... you will learn lots of things about business, inventory, scheduling, employee relations and customer service. You are expected to do schedules (scheduling software is terrible and time consuming) attend very long meetings, do inventory, rollouts, conduct employee reviews, do interviews, review promotional guides, but you will not be given enough hours to get it done. This is not a 40 hour a week job. More realistic is 50-55 hours a week. I was expected to be on the floor 34-35 hours a week. New tasks were assigned all the time with no extra time allowed.
You are expected to run labour within very small margins (10-15 minutes a day) with no way of being sure you have achieved it until the day is over.
You are expected to give world class service but not given enough hours to do it well.
Pros
Benefits, the other managers, staff
Cons
Long hours, constant change badly communicated, ambiguity
Great to work as a barista. Intense pressure in management.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 March 2018
Unrealistic expectations of what a human is capable of doing in assistant manager and up positions. Great fun as a shift supervisor and barista. Awesome job for students. Flexible hours, vacation pay, benefits and coffee.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful.
Don't get paid enough for what is expected
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2018
As a store manager there is no support. You are left to figure out the job and their expectations are unattainable. There is no work life balance and working 60 hours weeks. I got in trouble when I already worked a 12 hours day and didn't stay to cover a barista shift who called in sick. I was told that it is expected of me to work lots of over time.
I love what the company does for their partners and the community, but they have no idea how to take care of their managers.
benefits
Cons
no work life balance; no support
Strong operating system and training system
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC19 March 2018
Starbucks has the best system in terms of operating and training. In fact every organization should study and learn something from this company. I have learned so much and it will benefit me for my entire life.
Total Confusion
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 February 2018
I had a terrible experience in this Company, I know for a fact that it is not the case with every employee though I met some that are indoctrinated to the point of a cult. I passed 5 District managers and the last one I dealt with before my departure was an interim that did not stay in the job for more than 3 months. With stores closing and Upper management changing constantly it is difficult to deliver results in a market that it is assumed rather than studied.
I would never work there again.
Pros
Benefits, Pay and Perks
Cons
Managers are left to drown alon, holding them accountable for the poor performance and bad attitude of their team
Build my Business Acumen
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary11 January 2018
This was a great job to learn about business! Hiring, training, staffing, scheduling, supply ordering, equipment maintenance, P&L analysis, developing people, everything! I started as a 17 year old barista and came back to the company twice because I loved the culture.
Pros
Great for teaching job skills
Cons
Early Mornings
great place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON9 January 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know new partners and customers. Building long lasting relationships make work not feel like work.I learned how to constantly treat people in the general public with kindness and understanding even though I wasn't always treated with the same regard. workplace culture is fun and hard working. the most challenging aspect was upper management consistently changing what is expected in a certain job role.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
unstable structure from upper management
Team culture but lack focus on management advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 January 2018
Great place for students and part time partners, they have a fantastic atmosphere to work in. The training is well thought out and detailed which is fantastic.
Management training and promotion is non existent, the store manager does not have a lot of support in the day to day running of the cafe which leads to long work hours and no work life balance.
Wages are an opportunity across the board, especially considering the cost of living in BC
Pros
peer support, training
Cons
no work life balance, unrealistic expectations of store managers
Fast paced and entertaining but requires good time management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC10 December 2017
Very busy and energetic work environment which is generally positive and enjoyable. There are issues with minimal time for management to work on non coverage required projects such as store development, staff mentoring, budgeting and forecasting / business growth.
Pros
Great benefits, free drinks, flexible scheduling
Cons
no overtime for management, work life balance issues, inconsistent messaging from district leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

59.8K