Starbucks Employee Reviews for Shift Manager

Found 421 reviews matching the search See all 26,507 reviews
Great work, horrible manager.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 September 2018
The manager at the location I worked for was verbally aggressive towards me and other staff and when confronted about it, she would call us liars and would demand to know who was saying negative things about her. Aside from the manager I do believe Starbucks is a decent company and do offer great benefits to partners, although constantly changing things for what they say is better can be really annoying, especially when it is clearly not better.
Pros
free drinks, free coffee, great benefits
Overall fun place to work
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2018
Fun place to work and good company culture. Training was great, but that always depends on the manager. It was really chill. I had a good time working there while I was a student. It takes some time to move up though
Pros
Free drinks, fun environment
Cons
Poor pay
Fun Place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 September 2018
Great Place to work but salary is not great at all. Great training program and the shift goes by quick due to high volume of customers.

Can't survive on a Starbucks paycheck.
Pros
Fun
Cons
PAy
Fun loving, fast paced
Lead Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
Starbucks was one of my favorite places to work. Though as the years went on it became a lot more political, and didn't follow through on their commitments to the environment which was slightly frustrating to me.
Though the people that you work with, and we as your regulars that come through make the job amazing. You build the most interesting relationships.
Customer-service oriented and self-motivating
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 September 2018
Responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, and organized work environment for employees and customers in a timely manner.
Awarded "Partner of the Quarter" for receiving 100% customer satisfaction score based on feedback surveys.
Problem-solving and resolving conflict with customers and other team-members.
Responsible for food waste and driven to improve company sales.
Teaches individuals the skills they need to find a career based off personal experience and interests.
Challenging individuals to be driven and goal-oriented.
Pros
Wonderful work environement, customer-oriented.
Love the people, hate the politics
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2018
I really enjoyed the people that I worked with, but found when I tried to move up in the company I could only do so if it would benefit someone else. I was moved to a store I did not want to go to so I could basically run it for the manager that did not know what they were ding as 'training' then after I got the store up to snuf. I was told that I would not get the position I was going for because I needed to apply for it. No one had told me that I would have to do that, so I found it a waste of time. There were a lot of other things but that is one of the biggest ones.
Pros
People, free dinks
Cons
Management team was lacking
Fun work place!
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia30 August 2018
For the part I enjoyed my time at Starbucks - however, due to the often high staff turnover of barista positions; Starbucks can often succumb to training and staffing issues.
Pros
Relaxed environment
Cons
High turnover
very stressful and face paced place to work.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC29 August 2018
With good managment the job can be great, but with poor, the team suffers. unfortunatly my experience at starbucks was ruined do to bad managment, as well as the “your health and safety come first” but oh you actually are forced to come in regardless if you are sick/unwell etc or not. terrible system
Pros
free drinks and great discount!
Cons
terrible hours, hard to find coverage.
Excellent Culture and Benefits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 August 2018
Working at Starbucks overall was great. The job was fairly straight forward and the customers were generally great. The downside was the lack of consistency in schedule as well as management. It made it difficult to plan your life more than a week in advance, as schedules were supposed to be posted 2 weeks out, but often were not and would continually change.
Pros
Health Benefits, Tuition, Free Pound of Beans, Discount
Cons
Inconsistent Hours, Management changes constantly, No room for advancement
Very fun and fast paced job
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
Being a supervisor allowed me to work and coach amazing coworkers in a fun environment. Very fast paced work. Hardest part was the young people not showing up.
Pros
free coffe
Cons
alot of young people working
your usual job
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 August 2018
fun. stressful. will test your patience. great customers and people. the most enjoyable part of the job is actually being a barista and seeing a customer love the drink you've made.
Pros
great people
Cons
exhausting hours
Great teams with a fun job, but not a slacker's job
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2018
Like any beginner job, Starbucks has its issues. Unlike any most beginner jobs, however, Starbucks has its benefits. Literally. The health benefits available through Starbucks are stunning, but they are also expensive. Not only that, but Starbucks offers discounts on almost all major brands, including Apple and most work clothing stores! Starbucks like to advertise that they offer classes or reimbursements through some Universities, as well, but that is only if you are taking Management-type classes.
Competency varies per store, so if someone decided they did not like the store they worked for, they could transfer to any other store in their area or country. The process to transfer outside of the country is more difficult, but also available.
The hardest part of the job is getting used to rushes. Not just the speed of the job, but the teamwork and routines that go into the busiest times of the day. Most new employees feel overwhelmed when they first experience this.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people who work there. That is pretty cliche, but it's true. Starbucks attracts very interesting people, employees as well as customers.
I always recommend Starbucks as a job for people. It's honestly the best job I've had so far, and I stayed for 8 years.
Pros
30%-40% off everything in store, 5 free drinks per shift, 1 pound of coffee or tin of tea per week
Cons
There is lots of miscommunication and superiority amongst management and corporate
Great job ruined by management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON23 August 2018
The job and people are great, until they get an out of house hire. After that happens the partner experience degrades, and toxic relationships begin to form. moment my boss realized I was leaving she tossed me aside and didnt treat me human,
Fun work environment with great co-workers.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 August 2018
Making beverages or preparing food. Cleaning during downtime. Maintaining proper communication with the supervisor or manager to ensure stock is readily available.
Pros
Free drinks while working, free 1lb bag of coffee or tea every week, 30% off everything.
Cons
High volume stores can be stressful during summer and December.
great coworkers
Shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 August 2018
love my coworkers and my customers!!
great and fun environment for those who are looking for a fulfilling job with a fast-paced environment. great benefits at only 20 hours a week.
Pros
benefits at 20 hours a week.
Great Workplace with a lot of great people
Full Time Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2018
The environment is really positive and I am very lucky to have had such a great team. Making connections with customers the best part of my day, simply making someone smile helps me to get through my shift and make more people smile. The benefits are great, the hours are flexible and reliable. Highly recommend as a first job, helps you develop critical work ethic, customer service, and multitasking skills.
It’s a fun place to start your coffee experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2018
I had a wonderful experience with a Starbucks in a small neighbourhood, and one terrible experience at a very busy one in a chapters with a hostile manager. Please be selective about which cafe you choose to work at.
Pros
Health benefits, access to stocks, payments towards education
Cons
Bad management can cause stress
Fun Place, Very High Staff Expectations
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
This job is completely dependent on managers. I had the pleasure of working under a manager that was amazing, team player, cleaned with the rest of us, complimented great work and made the job enjoyable. I also served under a manager that hardly ever showed up, never worked on the floor and didn't plan ahead for large events. The expectation & stress of the staff picking up slack that they were paid to handle eventually lead to me to finding other work,.
Pros
Benefits, Free Coffee & Tea
Cons
High stress, faced paced
Starbucks Review
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 August 2018
I liked the people I worked with here but management could have been more understanding. They need to adjust some of their management styles to better suit the work environment but I liked that they encourage their staff to improve and move up in the company.
Great for short term.
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC3 August 2018
This is a great company to start out in. Good benefits, good hours. Very customer focused and you are expected to be happy and cheerful through thick and thin. Management has its pros and cons. The workplace usually feels short staffed even though it is considered not to be. Depending on your specific manager this job can be really great and fun. Or it can feel overwhelming and unorganized.
Benefits
Cons
hard-to-please bosses

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

510.9K