Starbucks Employee Reviews for Shift Manager

Found 449 reviews matching the search See all 28,389 reviews
Lively and fun place to work, bad pay.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 November 2018
I would have stayed working for Starbucks has the pay been better! I really loved working with the public in this way and after a short period of time, I was given an opportunity to become supervisor there. It was a rewarding experience I just wish that they paid a living wage rather than minimum wage.
Pros
flexible hours, perks, free coffee, benefits
Cons
Pay
Good in theory, bad in practice
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC6 November 2018
The "make every moment right" standard sounds good, but in practice just turns staff into doormats. And if you ever have problems with your store or management, don't bother wasting your time going to your district manager, they don't care what goes on as long as your drive-thru times are good. More bonuses for them, I guess. Granted they provide benefits and free coffee, but considering so many companies provide benefits these days, I'd say just pay for your coffee and skip working for Starbucks.
Pros
Free coffee and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great part-time, soul destroying in the long run
Shift Supervisor/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 November 2018
At the barista level the work is not difficult and the company offers decent benefits, but the demands made of those at higher levels are unfair. They expect you to be all Starbucks all the time and will drop you at any sign of wavering.
Pros
discounts, benefits, mental health benefits, teamwork
Cons
management
Great company to work for, strong values, amazing benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 November 2018
Experience is highly dependant on management. I have been through multiple store managers ranging from exceptionally amazing to absolutely horrible. Friendly culture, everyone is a partner. Great benefits, discounts, etc.
Pros
free drinks, great partners
Cons
Limited staffing, ridiculous promotions with limited staffing.
Amazing, ejoyable job but not much advancement
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
Very good company to work for but not much room for people to advance. Was on a development plan to become an ASM for three years.Basically did most of my managers job, without any better pay. Just felt it wasn't fair on their part.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good Pay, Free pound of coffee or box of tea a week, Fun Atmosphere, Learning Experience
Cons
Not room for much advancement, early morning if you don't like them.
Fun Workplace
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON31 October 2018
At Starbucks, it gives opportunities to have a flexible schedule, especially for students. Since the team is smaller, the team is able to work together and get closer together making the culture and the environment of the workplace very welcoming.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Too busy (Drive Thru)
Great Part time job, and a great way to build skill sets
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2018
Depending on the store location it can be really busy or really slow and everyones experience working for the company is always different depending of why your working there.
Pros
benefits are great, and you can meet some really awesome people
Cons
long shifts
Draining
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2018
This company will take and take and take from you if you let them. If you have good management it can be more enjoyable, but at a corporate level it is never enough.
Great benefits/flexibility, decent company but very much fast food
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2018
The Starbucks experience can be a great one when you've got a great team. With their support, it can make the job fun and easy, which you need in such a fast-paced environment. If you enjoy constantly having things to do, this is a good pick as you're always busy.

A huge pro is the great benefits such as: free drinks, medical/mental health coverage, vacation time/sick days, when you work a minimum 20 hours a week. That means part-timers are eligible, with as short as 3 months time! This is a great job to gain barista or management experience with many opportunities to move up in the company. Plus, they're always hiring, with many locations to work at.

One of the harder parts of the job are the entitled customers, groomed by the Starbucks culture. They are often rewarded by corporate for their attitudes, as the motto is "Make the moment right" and policies get brushed aside. As well, recently many stores have had difficulty with coverage. Most Starbucks stores are very busy and there is a LOT of tasking to do daily. There are very high standards (meaning the food safety/cleanliness is usually A+) but not enough staff on the floor to comply, in conjunction with the overall business. The stress is multiplied when working as a supervisor and I would not recommend being hired externally, unless you're ready to be overwhelmed for the first while.

Overall, this is a great job to gain barista or management experience with many opportunities to move up in the company. Plus, they're always hiring, with many locations to work at. Keep in mind, the job isn't for everyone but can
  more... be rewarding.  less
Pros
Benefits, Stability in Company, Flexible Hours, Can get shifts covered at other stores, Great place to gain experience
Cons
Low coverage during busy hours, Tiring, Difficult to get full hours every week, Rude customers
Fun workplace in a busy environment
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC23 October 2018
When you have the right team it's easy to come to work and that's how it was for me when I worked at Starbucks. They made the environment fun and welcoming and also comfortable. I learned so much about teamwork, leadership and of course coffee while I worked here. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how your compliment or even just the drink you made a customer could lighten up their day so much. The hardest part was the time I had to wake up at in order to open the store properly.
Pros
free drinks, discounts, great team, lots of breaks
Cons
early hours
Overworked
Shift Supervisor / Barista (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS22 October 2018
Staffing hours cut backs made for overworked employees. Implementing so many new protocols and items at the same time with not enough training made for chaos.
Pros
Learning about coffee and trying many different types of coffee.
Cons
Not getting paid enogh for the amont of work you put in. Especially as a Supervisor/Shift
Great place
Shift Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  AB21 October 2018
i love the company for all the reason. best place after home. Starbuck s thank you for everything. the management work place benefits very amazing. you will love it
Stressful
Shift Supervisor/Barista (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 October 2018
I found this job to be great at the beginning but eventually took over my life as I was too open to helping out. I think it would have been better as a part time job.
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 October 2018
I mean... it is Starbucks. Like any other fastfood chain (although Starbucks is incorporated system, unlike franchise system) it is tired when it’s busy and cleaning time when it’s slow.
Pros
Cool people to work with
Cons
Coffee smell
Great company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2018
District managers and higher ups are amazing. Some store managers lack professionalism. They definitely back up their employees and have a great support system for the most part. Partners for the most part are also great, but also seeing a lot of people that don't to work. Fun environment
Pros
Great environment. Room for growth/advancement
Cons
Expect to be called in often to help cover a no show or sick call
I love my job and the people I severed but I didn't love the management
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC10 October 2018
Starbucks is a fast paced and demanding job. I loved working in a high intensity environment while connecting with people. Not every store is as faced paced as mine so maybe they wont be quite as intense but know it is a hard but really rewarding job. I learned how to multi task and be efficient. I learned how to wok with many types of people and control my emotions around them. Unfortunately my management wasn't the best but my team helped to encourage me and I with them.
Pros
Free coffee white working/ weekly markouts/ working on a team
Cons
On your feet a lot/ angry customers
Great stepping stone.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2018
Great as a stepping stone for management jobs. I started as a barista, they promoted me pretty quickly but I felt like I was being underpaid for the amount of time I put into helping out the store. IE. Finding coverage for my team during my days off... Or having to work with a throat infection because nobody was willing to cover my shift.
Pros
30% discount, lots of benefits
Cons
Tough to find work/life balance
Good place to meet different kinds of customers
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 October 2018
Usually stressful, I learned how to make coffee. Management was not good with scheduling. Fun to work at with the right coworkers. Supervisors get blamed for everything. The most enjoyable part was the people that I worked with and the great customers.
Great company to work for, great benefits, and there is lots of coffee!
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 September 2018
Starbucks is a great company to work for.
lots of room for advancement, the benefits are fantastic and you get to drink lots of coffee!

You get to interact with people daily, meet new people and build relationships!
Pros
free beverage every break as well as before and and after work, benefits, flexibility, 30% discount.
Cons
fluctuating schedule.
Starbucks Canada Supervisor
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke27 September 2018
I love my job, its always unpredictable, sure some days are better than others but you run into that with every job! I love how you can transfer stores without much hassle and you can meet many people who can change your life.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Rude customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

511.6K