Starbucks Employee Reviews for Shift Manager

Found 461 reviews matching the search See all 29,982 reviews
Great Place to Learn & Grow
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 January 2019
I owe a lot of my learned skill set to being a partner at Starbucks. The company does an amazing job of sourcing and hiring individuals who would have a positive impact on the company, it's partners and its human connection with their customers. I will be forever grateful for the amazing mentors I had while working with this company. It wasn't always sunshine and rainbows, but in those stormy times, my team was always there to raise me up - even if it was tough love. My peers pushed me to grow, and management wasn't something to be afraid of. In fact, management took great interest in learning about all the partners and the journeys they wished to pursue whether that was with the company or another pathway. I can't say enough good things about the company. I know this review is on more of a "front lines" level, but the company as a whole is a global leader and I know for sure other companies look towards Starbucks as a positive model. Of course there are SOME bad eggs employed by this company (as in every other company) but the "higher ups" are always ready and willing to listen and be an unbiased third party perspective in the eye of non judgement and fair justice. I'll always be grateful for being a partner and I will always look back on my 5 years of experience with a huge smile (along with the life long friends I have made while working for this wonderful company).
Pros
Opportunities to grow, Positive work environment, Amazing partners, Safe Non-judgmental atmosphere, ability to learn a lot of new skills
Cons
None.
great company to work and get experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC7 January 2019
I Have learned a lot from Starbucks; management, business, culture and sales. Starbucks taught me a lot especially retail sales and how to deal with fast environment. It is hard sometime when It is a peak time. But I am enjoy to do that with my team members.
Fun fast paced enviroment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2018
Working at Starbucks has not only given me ample experience with customer facing, cash handling, inventory management and gaining abilities to work in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Bad customers
fast past fun but management ruins job
Shift Supervisor Customer service (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC18 December 2018
managers is really awful poor work life home balance its mostly a good place to work up until management changed and it became an un happy place to be
Pros
fun lots of perks
Cons
lots of open closes
Fun workplace, goal oriented
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 December 2018
Had the chance to meet many interesting people. Learnt quite a bit about the coffee world and culture. Great work environment. Whole company is focused on completing goals.
Pros
extensive knowledge of coffee, fun environment
Cons
Sometimes have to deal with rude customers
Productive and Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 December 2018
Pros:
* Flexible Hours
* Good Environment to work
* Good Benefits
* Easy repetitive job
* Always have a room for development
* Free drinks!
* Discounts on Starbucks even if youre not woking!
* Free Coffee Beans! YASSSS!

Cons:
* Sometimes bad management, didn't felt appreciated sometimes
* Minimum wage until advancement
* Labor job, being a bartender is NOT JUST being a bartender.
Fast-paced fun environment
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2018
Depending on the store you work at, it can be a very busy place to work. I have always had a good relationship with my coworkers and overall it is a very fun place to work. Management varies in quality depending on the store. I have had some great managers and some very poor ones as well. Very flexible schedule so if you need specific hours to work around school or a second job it's perfect.
Fast paced
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC3 December 2018
The work is fast paced depending where you work, so it's never really a dull moment especially with a dynamic team. The benefits are good, but the pay we get for making all those drinks + weekly tips feels underwhelming for a job like this.
Engaging and positive
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 December 2018
Starbucks is a terrific employer, they truly walk the talk interns of culture. Keeping it very simple we actively make peoples day one coffee at a time.
Pros
Partner Markout 1 lb of coffee free every week, and free bevies at work.
Cons
Advancement is a long slow process, and the team is a reflection of the manager. My current manager is wonderful, but Ive worked in numerous stores and not all managers are created equal.
Its decent
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 November 2018
great for a first job, not the job for people with busy schedules though its vert hard to not make starbucks your life they really expect a lot from you as a worker
Fun place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2018
Fast paced environment
good benefits
flexible hours, it's easy to get time off and pick hours that work for you.
you sometimes have to deal with stubborn customers but thats every customer service job
Its a great place to work, if you are young and ready to work
Manager, shift (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 November 2018
As a shift you are responsible for three things: customer experience, partner experience, and facility management.
- Customer management: You have the ensure that your customers are having the best possible experience: the store needs to be clean and inviting and efficient. But you also need to deal with the safety of your customers. And you will also be the front lines to deal with any upset customer.
Partner Management: a well managed shift means happy partners and happy partners make happy customers. You need to ensure that each partner is experiencing challenge and training in each shift, and you need to make sure they feel valued. Giving breaks on time, giving in the moment feed back, and being available and open to suggestions and changes are all key.
Facility management: You need to clean and upkeep all machinery, and deal with any problems that arise. You must also make sure that the store is fully clean and fully stocked at all times.
Pros
free drinks, free coffee and tea each week, been stock and good health benefits
Cons
low wages
Lively and fun place to work, bad pay.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 November 2018
I would have stayed working for Starbucks has the pay been better! I really loved working with the public in this way and after a short period of time, I was given an opportunity to become supervisor there. It was a rewarding experience I just wish that they paid a living wage rather than minimum wage.
Pros
flexible hours, perks, free coffee, benefits
Cons
Pay
Good in theory, bad in practice
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC6 November 2018
The "make every moment right" standard sounds good, but in practice just turns staff into doormats. And if you ever have problems with your store or management, don't bother wasting your time going to your district manager, they don't care what goes on as long as your drive-thru times are good. More bonuses for them, I guess. Granted they provide benefits and free coffee, but considering so many companies provide benefits these days, I'd say just pay for your coffee and skip working for Starbucks.
Pros
Free coffee and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Great part-time, soul destroying in the long run
Shift Supervisor/Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 November 2018
At the barista level the work is not difficult and the company offers decent benefits, but the demands made of those at higher levels are unfair. They expect you to be all Starbucks all the time and will drop you at any sign of wavering.
Pros
discounts, benefits, mental health benefits, teamwork
Cons
management
Great company to work for, strong values, amazing benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 November 2018
Experience is highly dependant on management. I have been through multiple store managers ranging from exceptionally amazing to absolutely horrible. Friendly culture, everyone is a partner. Great benefits, discounts, etc.
Pros
free drinks, great partners
Cons
Limited staffing, ridiculous promotions with limited staffing.
Amazing, ejoyable job but not much advancement
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2018
Very good company to work for but not much room for people to advance. Was on a development plan to become an ASM for three years.Basically did most of my managers job, without any better pay. Just felt it wasn't fair on their part.
Pros
Good Benefits, Good Pay, Free pound of coffee or box of tea a week, Fun Atmosphere, Learning Experience
Cons
Not room for much advancement, early morning if you don't like them.
Fun Workplace
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON31 October 2018
At Starbucks, it gives opportunities to have a flexible schedule, especially for students. Since the team is smaller, the team is able to work together and get closer together making the culture and the environment of the workplace very welcoming.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Too busy (Drive Thru)
Great Part time job, and a great way to build skill sets
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 October 2018
Depending on the store location it can be really busy or really slow and everyones experience working for the company is always different depending of why your working there.
Pros
benefits are great, and you can meet some really awesome people
Cons
long shifts
Draining
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2018
This company will take and take and take from you if you let them. If you have good management it can be more enjoyable, but at a corporate level it is never enough.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

512.2K