Starbucks Employee Reviews

Fun people, stressful environment
Northern Ireland - Barista (Former Employee) –  Craigavon17 October 2018
This was a fun job for the short time I was there, the people were awesome and customers were always interesting. However, there is a lot of stress in relation to the workload and management of one of these places. I have nothing but respect for baristas out there working this job during Christmas time... (been there done that, absolutely mental)
no job security
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2018
manager are constantly cutting hours don't get comfortable the district manager changes so often that you are constantly being threathened with job security its all who you know
Fun workplace
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC16 October 2018
I mean... it is Starbucks. Like any other fastfood chain (although Starbucks is incorporated system, unlike franchise system) it is tired when it’s busy and cleaning time when it’s slow.
Pros
Cool people to work with
Cons
Coffee smell
fun enviorment
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2018
Starbucks is a fun and vibrant workplace which is perfect for a student. There is a constant supply of customers so there is never a dull moment when on the job.
Fun and interactive workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 October 2018
Starbucks is a fun and easygoing workplace. It can get busy and understaffed because I work in a drive-thru store. They tend to pay more attention to morning team than closing team because of drive-thru times so it often feels like I'm running around during evenings. Overall it's a fair workplace, chill and fun with a great, supportive team.
Pros
free drinks and markouts for tea and coffee, supportive partners, discount
Cons
More work for minimum wage for sake of brand excellence
fun workplace
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whistler, BC13 October 2018
great team, good pay, very enjoyable, balanced work / social life,
would happily return to the company.

Would reccomend to anyone wanting to enter the hospitality industry
Workplace Environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 October 2018
I believe to this very day that everyone should have a chance to work at Starbucks and go through their training and understand the culture - read Howard's book will give you the best outlook on life and will create a world of respect and dignity for everyone everywhere - the skills and culture you learn here will live with you forever and change your life for the better.
Fun place to work
Barista (Current Employee) –  grandview corner starbucks12 October 2018
I'm always vocal to my costumers, having a conversation with them get to know them.Ii learned the importance of team work. The management take care of their employees.
Pros
free drinks
Great company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2018
District managers and higher ups are amazing. Some store managers lack professionalism. They definitely back up their employees and have a great support system for the most part. Partners for the most part are also great, but also seeing a lot of people that don't to work. Fun environment
Pros
Great environment. Room for growth/advancement
Cons
Expect to be called in often to help cover a no show or sick call
One of the best places for a first/newer job!
Barista/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 October 2018
The company has such an excellent way with working with baristas! I have worked in the customer service industry for a long while now and I was taught so much while working there! From dealing with a customer to extreme time efficiency it never is a dull moment!
Fast paced, fun coffee house
Barista (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC11 October 2018
When I worked for Starbucks, I really enjoyed working with people. It was a great atmosphere and energetic. I was trained within 2 weeks and I learned so fast and quickly.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2018
love the customers and loved working for the company amazing overall enjoyed being apart of the Starbucks group and looking forward to be apart of it again
Pros
free coffee
Cons
early shift
I love my job and the people I severed but I didn't love the management
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC10 October 2018
Starbucks is a fast paced and demanding job. I loved working in a high intensity environment while connecting with people. Not every store is as faced paced as mine so maybe they wont be quite as intense but know it is a hard but really rewarding job. I learned how to multi task and be efficient. I learned how to wok with many types of people and control my emotions around them. Unfortunately my management wasn't the best but my team helped to encourage me and I with them.
Pros
Free coffee white working/ weekly markouts/ working on a team
Cons
On your feet a lot/ angry customers
Energetic workplace
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 October 2018
Balancing efficient preparation of food/beverage while taking time to provide good customer service. Maintaining cleanliness throughout the day. Learned how to multitask, especially under pressure, and work as a team. Management and coworkers were good comparatively to other similar type jobs. Hardest part of the job is keeping your cool during rushes, and maintaining positive attitude in the face of nasty customers. Most enjoyable part of the job was actual beverage preparation; learning the recipes and gaining confidence in your abilities, opportunities to be creative.
Pros
Free beverage during breaks
Cons
Impertinent customers
fun job while it lasted
Barista (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB9 October 2018
Great company, but the questionable management in Okotoks made the experience poor overall. Someone told her that i tried weed(i was 16). She then made it her mission to mistreat me and make me feel like an outcast.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
judgmental managers
Fast paced environment
Barista (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC9 October 2018
Fun fast paced environment, super great team, good benefits.
Training starts off with a coffee tasting, and then proceeds to the till, followed by making drinks
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Lots of cleaning, nasty customers
Fun workplace, terrible management
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 October 2018
Starbucks gave me a lot of experience with multitasking and customer service. Workplace was fun and efficient. However, management always pushed to be more and more efficient, affecting quality that was produced, thus affecting the products that were served. More efficiency also increased stress level within the workplace that affected employees and often led to tensions and arguments. Management was many times unreasonable in resolving conflicts, and the manager was often time, the source of that conflict (trying to dig dirt on employees, calling names on employees behind their back). Perhaps that was just an experience I had from one location. Despite that, I have had the chance to gain plenty of resourceful skills from Starbucks. My only complaint would be on management.
Pros
Free drinks, cheap food. Fun workplace when management hires people who are actually productive, efficient and willing to learn.
Cons
The way management treats you, and focusing on efficiency rather than quality.
Typical food industry experience
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 October 2018
Working at Starbucks is pretty mediocre. It's typical shift work, serving the general public, and usually at minimum wage. If you have a decent team of baristas and manager there's a chance you will enjoy it.
Pros
free coffee, staff discounts
Cons
unpredictable shift schedules, grouchy customers, minimum wage
Promenade Mall - going downhill
Barista (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON8 October 2018
This job is what you make of it, and who's in charge of you.

Starbucks is losing the consistency they once had.

Plus they're gonna replace all workers with coffee robots one day so.
Rigged and Emotionally Labouring
Barista (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 October 2018
SB is a high performance customer-centric company. For my personality, I didn't quite fit in and was let go as a result. I hold no grudge over the manager or the company, but others should know the price of their Emotional Labour.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
High Emotional Labour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

511.3K