Starbucks Employee Reviews

Great culture, and great team environment.
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 June 2018
A typical day at work for me involves working with an amazing team of baristas, it is a very fast paced environment so communication is a must. Once you have a team of people who are on the same page the day runs smoothly. It is important to have strong leadership in the store as I have seen both the good and the bad. Starbucks is committed to creating a great environment for both the customers and the partners, very inclusive and supportive. The hardest part of the job is the execution of duties, I find at times there is a lot of pressure from upper management to perform at an elevated standard. It is difficult if you are not someone who excels in environments with a lot of pressure but I enjoy a challenge so it has actually kept me really involved in the company and looking forward to doing better than yesterday everyday I go to work. As a barista the hours are less than desirable but there is more security as a shift supervisor. However there are times where you may be scheduled outside of your availability or your manager may contact you outside of work or require you to be available for business related issues on social media.
Pros
Cons
Work/life balance and scheduling
Great company
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 June 2018
Loved working there. It was fast paced and friendly. The company really takes care of their employees. I would recommend this company to my friends and family.
Loving Trainer
Barista (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB18 June 2018
The short amount of time I worked at Starbucks was due to them wanting get me to work during my school hours (example; working on a Monday at 5:45 am and I had to go to school)
Over all, those who trained me were very patient with my learning and kept me calm in times where I felt overwhelmed.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Tried to make me work school hours
Productive, positive workplace environment, some pressure
Barista (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 June 2018
There was constant work to be done while on shift at Starbucks, which kept me busy and ensured constant productivity while at work, the workplace environment was always positive and I enjoyed working with all of my co workers, there was a decent amount of pressure from management to be accurate while maintaining a fast pace which resulted in some stress at times but nothing that was unbearable.
Pros
Discount on food and free drinks
Cons
Negative customers causing stress
Good and fun place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 June 2018
Learned to make coffee drinks which was pretty awesome. They pressure a lot on sales. I'm sure not all store managers are the same but mine was not very good at training and keeping the things in time. If you have a good trainer, I thing the experience may be better.
Sad experience with license
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
I had what to be a potentially amazing starbucks, sadly it was not part of the starbucks corporation. Meaning this store well self sufficient in its work ethics. Or so they thought. Not training employees properly, firing a barista for not being trained... leaving a shift supervisor unattended with their training, than given the duty to run, opperate, and close the store. Worst experience with this but wish to change that if say a corporate opportunity came up.
Cons
No training given, no mid check points to see how we are doing, ignores employees looking for help to grow.
Good products but frontline experience is overhyped
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2018
Typical day at work: steady and could be stressful due to non-stop lineups

What I learned: time management, contingency planning, customer relations

workplace culture: politics and gossiping are both common; high energy and high output are a big help

the hardest part of the job: connecting with customers during peak times

the most enjoyable part of the job: customers appreciating their beverages hand-crafted by you
Pros
Free beverages, weekly markout of coffee/tea/retail beverage
Cons
unstable source of income, hours are always cut
Fun environment to work in
Barista (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC16 June 2018
Working at Starbucks was very fun although management at the store I worked at seemed to be fairly disorganized and the turnover for employees was very fast.
Pros
discounts and free beverages
Cons
could only work 8 hour shifts
Fun yet stressful than it was fun to work here
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2018
To work here, I suggest learning the drink recipes like it is the back of your hand. Memorization is very needed for the barista position.

The hardest part of the job is not getting upset if others are rude to you in a fast paced environment. This is even if you are trying your absolute best.

The perks of this job was the free beverages.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Stressful at times
great people to work with, great benefits
Shift Supervisor and Barista (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2018
fairly fast paced environment, must be able to multi-task well, don't take everything personally
learned how to make drinks, handle cash, count and stock inventory as a shift supervisor
management is pretty great, except for instances where managers side with the customer immediately without assessing the entire situation solely to keep people coming back.
the people you work with will be the best part of the job, and will always make your day better.
hardest part of the job is the amount of tasks required by you during a work day.
the most enjoyable part would be sharing experiences with co workers.
Pros
free lb. of coffee/box of tea per week, 30% discount off everything in the store, 5 free drinks per shift
Cons
stress levels can become very high, sometimes there isn't a lot of coverage.
Has great benefits for partners and great place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 June 2018
Starbucks is a good place to work in. The company offers lots of benefits for partners such as weekly free coffee bean and free drink after work. However, get ready to be patient.
Amazing job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 June 2018
It’s the best experience. A great place to make friends and new experiences. The best place for a student job. Easy to go up in the company and very well paid. The benefits are insane and the insurance covers literally everything!
happy environment
Part-time Barista (Current Employee) –  philippines14 June 2018
the culture of starbucks is one of a kind. it helps you grow in your job and as a person. partners treats each other as family. I gained more knowledge about customer service as well.
Pros
free food/ drinks. free uniform 2 days off
Cons
a bit long hour of job
Didnt care to roll up and was all the floor mats at end of shift like why?
Barista (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON13 June 2018
Good job overall, worked in location at Target. best fit for someone who is out going and able to work in a fast paced environment for at least 8 hours.
Overall good job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2018
Pretty great job, good benefits, tried to work with my schedule but unfortunately couldn't stay. But everyone was very respectable and kind. Wish i could've learned more about coffee though.
Fast pace and enjoyable workplace
Barista (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 June 2018
Working at Starbucks is a challenge when you first begin on the floor due to the high pressure of having to prepare high-quality drinks for your customers. Ensuring that any customizations are met with their standards and if there is dissatisfaction, you ensure to make the moment right and recreate their drink until they're satisfied. The job is more about the people than it is about the drinks. You always want to welcome customers and ensure they feel as though the place they are stepping into, is another safe place like their own home. From start to finish, baristas engage with their customers to ensure they know you care more about them than the job you are given. Management is always different but they always care for what you have to say and how you feel about the job. It's like having another family while working as well. You become very close to the partners at your store so they become like another family. The hardest part of the job is ensuring every customer feels welcome during rush hours and the most enjoyable is working with the people you care about and seeing the smiles that people have after you've made their drink with care.
A Great Company to Work for
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON12 June 2018
Starbucks is a great company to work for, however depending on your manager, depends on the level of stress you will be under. I worked there for 8 years and there were great managers and ones that wanted everything from you without a thank you at all.
Benefits
Cons
Early Hours
good
Barista (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB12 June 2018
good atomsphere , love the regulars, great benifits , if you can get the hours good pay . great timers to be had if you get a good management staff!!!
Pros
great benifits
Cons
short staffing is a pain in the butt
Lively and Supportive
Barista/Barista Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 June 2018
Working at Starbucks for two years has definitely opened my eyes to the various workplaces and their environments which evidently vary depending on the industry. Being a part of this company meant constantly thriving in a fast-paced environment, meeting customer needs with a smile, and multi-tasking in accordance with time-management. A typical day here involved my daily duties provided by my supervisor (i.e. cleaning, maintenance, and other health priorities) while attending to the customers and assuring that every moment of connection is perfect for them. It also involved greeting regular customers, anticipating their needs, and meeting their criteria day after day - thus forming friendly relationships and daily anticipated conversations. The hardest part of the job might have been working under certain management as he/she was very hypocritical and rarely seemed to care about his/her employees.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, employee discount
Cons
Short hours, irregular shifts
Wonderful work environment with endless perks and benefits.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 June 2018
Starbucks cultivates a wonderful atmosphere for both customers and employees that allows coming to work to be enjoyable. The food and beverage perks are endless, and almost all your needs are able to be accommodated. Its only downside is the ridiculously early morning hours, but a great team and even better customers make you forget about that 4 a.m. alarm setting!