Starbucks Employee Reviews

It’s a fun place to start your coffee experience
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2018
I had a wonderful experience with a Starbucks in a small neighbourhood, and one terrible experience at a very busy one in a chapters with a hostile manager. Please be selective about which cafe you choose to work at.
Pros
Health benefits, access to stocks, payments towards education
Cons
Bad management can cause stress
Good and Bad
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC15 August 2018
I worked for Starbucks for 3 years, 2 in Vernon and 1 in Kelowna. Training was very rushed in the beginning but done pretty decently. I was at a store where the majority of my co workers had been working there for 5 years or over which made many of them extremely entitled and rude for about 6 months until they warmed up to me. So the first 6 months were pretty much torture and made it EXTREMLY stressful and hard to get better in such a fast paced environment. After that grace period however, I met a lot of life long friends and great people while working there, and the work got a lot easier. I think working for Starbucks definitely helped shape my work attitude and ethic in a positive way, but there are definitely some things that really bother me about some of the systems put in place. I worked for them for 3 years and before I left, I was maybe 30 cents above minimum wage. Don’t ever expect your salary as a barista to get any higher because it won’t. They claim to give you 2% raises every 6-8 months roughly but when they do, they don’t transfer that raise when minimum wage is raised, so very time that happens you’re back to square one. Your wage increases as a shift supervisor, but don’t expect it to get any higher after that. Additionally, they actually lowered the raise rate to 1% before I left. The benifits help ease this blow to your pay check and honestly that’s probably the way they get away with it, but addictive, sub-par coffee beans doesn’t pay the rent. This makes it very common for people at Starbucks to get second jobs. I always felt like I was putting in so much  more... work and got nothing back for it. No one except for same-level baristas appreciated my effort. Additionally, my manager used to purposefully give me less hours so she wouldn’t have to give me health benefits. I would recommend making it very clear that you need those hours so you can get those benifits when you get hired there. Another problem is the standards only certain people were held to. Managers know the weaker links and the stronger ones but let the weaker ones get away with so much. That being said it is very hard to get fired from Starbucks, you’d have to do something outrageous. I would say that more than half the costumers I saw were rude and annoying , so that’s another thing to prepare for. I would say this job is great for high school students and maybe first or second year university students, just because of their flexible scheduling and the ability to transfer stores, but I would not recommend being there for longer than a couple years if you make it that far without getting so annoyed with the system you quit. It takes decades to move up the latter at Starbucks so any salary that would make it worth is completely out of reach unless you’re insane and love being broke. I don’t regret working for Starbucks, but I regret staying as long as I did.  less
Pros
Free drinks throughout shifts, weekly mark outs (coffee, tea, etc), employee discount (25%), flexible scheduling, transfers
Cons
Pay, stressful work environment, rude costumers/coworkers, unappreciative company
tres bon salaire et avantage sociaux
Gérant de succursale (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC13 August 2018
Les salaires sont avantageux au niveaux gerant et plus haut mais tous on les meme avantages sociaux.
fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 August 2018
Enjoyed the atmosphere but the pay wasnt enough to live on. I enjoyed the staff and the skills I gained during my time with starbucks. I just wish they paid employees a little more considering the work load we would take on at certain times.
n/a
Barista (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 August 2018
Great time working there, would definitely recommend for students only. Full time positions were not available when i was working there so it was better for students
Incredible, inclusive work environment.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  London, ON13 August 2018
My experience at Starbucks was short because of a concussion I suffered and I never ended up finishing my training, however, I felt that it was an amazing experience, and such a great company.
Enjoyable hand-crafted beverages and enthusiastic co-workers.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
Great atmosphere with a positive attitude from employees at a fast paced Starbucks. Always a pleasure making connections with the customers and getting to know them on a personal level.
Pros
Free beverages during breaks, partner mark outs, benefits
Cons
Peak hours, entitled and rude customers
Great fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
Starbucks is a nice place to work if you love coffee unfortunately it was not the case for me so i had to stop working therr. Great staff, you will get along with some shift supervisor better than others but overall everybody is nice.
Pros
fun
Cons
rush line
Fun job, management could be better
Barista/Community Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 August 2018
Job is fun, perks are great, store managers are on a short leash. Fast paced environment, close knit team, overall good experience. But you must follow the outline provided by upper management.
Nice place to work
Barista and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2018
Most people I worked with overall were friendly. Making drinks was a great way to keep busy. I enjoyed talking with the customers and overall I enjoyed my time there.
Great Company
Store Manager, Manager Coach Mentor (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB11 August 2018
Like working for this company. There is a lack of support for advancement beyond manager.Expectation to be perfect with the lack of up to date technology
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of development for advancement
Fun Place, Very High Staff Expectations
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2018
This job is completely dependent on managers. I had the pleasure of working under a manager that was amazing, team player, cleaned with the rest of us, complimented great work and made the job enjoyable. I also served under a manager that hardly ever showed up, never worked on the floor and didn't plan ahead for large events. The expectation & stress of the staff picking up slack that they were paid to handle eventually lead to me to finding other work,.
Pros
Benefits, Free Coffee & Tea
Cons
High stress, faced paced
Amazing opportunity
Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2018
Amazing place to work with great benefits Starbucks is my second home you have the ability of picking up hours at other stores that need the assistance
Fun, upbeat place to work with great benefits
Barista (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 August 2018
Starbucks was a very fun, upbeat place to work. They have great benefits, free drinks while you work and you get a coffee markout each week. My manager was very understanding and flexible.
Pros
Free coffee!
Cons
when you start you only get eight hours a week
Can be good with the right team
PARTNER (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON10 August 2018
Working for Starbucks can be fun when you have a team that you get along with. However if you have a team that has one person that doesn't like to show up for shifts, or someone that comes in late, best believe you're going to have to pick up the slack. I learned that in order to make things happen the way you want them to that you need to constantly badger management, and reach out to different stores.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Your success and happiness depends on others
Friendly and Professional
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2018
Working at Starbucks is very Professional, but also friendly. Partners are all nice, they may have their own standards, but who doesn't.
The benefits are nice, and overall, good place to work.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Unpredictable schedule
Fun Atmosphere
Barista (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2018
This is a very fun job. It is a fast pace environment that continued to challenge daily. Great employee benefits. Would definitely recommend this company to those that need a very flexible job.
fun and uplifting
Barista Trainer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 August 2018
Starbucks is a fun and lively work environment that is extremely accepting, allowing you to be yourself. I've learned many skills through their fast paced work environment which I can apply to future jobs.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Early mornings and fast pace environment may not be for everyone
Best Place i’ve worked
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB8 August 2018
I’ve worked at starbucks for almost a year, and moved up quite quick in the company. A very gossipy industry, but if you are able to work past that- it’s a great environment. Conflicts tend to get resolved on a one-sided basis, so it easier to work through them without a superior. :) Free drinks are awesome, and the customers are generally pretty great! starbucks is a great company, and I recommend at least trying it! :) (also, pay raises every 6 months and that’s always a plus)
Pros
Awesome Partners/friends
Cons
Gossip
Fun and chaotic
Barista (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 August 2018
Very fun place to work, but be ready to face demanding customers that want their orders to be ready 5 minutes before their place an order. Lots of cleaning involved as well, so don't even bother to buy gym membership.
Pros
Meeting new people, free beverages, get to taste new things
Cons
Angry customers, washroom cleaning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Starbucks. Our community is ready to answer.

510.4K