Staples Employee Reviews

Sales Area Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
Sales representative responsible for assisting and advising customers on products throughout the store.
Conducted regular inventory and product availability.
Would not recommend
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS14 March 2018
I have worked here for 3 years now, a large portion of the managers are remote and never available to support when needed and do not answer email contacts.

While the environment is very pleasant there is no continuity with how any agents are handled when it comes to missed time, responsibilities and work loads even among agents on the same team.

Would not recommend.
Good flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bramalea, ON13 March 2018
Very flexible with my hours to cater to my school work which was very helpful. Enjoyed work most days and felt secure in the job as I am a valuable asset.
Pros
Flex house
Friendly, fun, great
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON13 March 2018
Management team was wonderful.
Employees were a bit toxic.
Job itself is very rewarding and fun: merchandising products and ensuring the products were in their correct location.
Ok
Technology Sales Area Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
The store is OK. Diversified job role. Strict management. Advancement is based on performance but takes time. Flexible working hours. Fast paced. Challenging.
Pros
Free coffee and lunch sometimes
Cons
Un-open to recommendations.
Fun Environment - High turnover
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC5 March 2018
My first job out of high school began as technology sales associate and was later promoted to resident tech. Staples is a great place for learning customer service skills, sales techniques and to be confident in your self. The staff was very friendly and work was generally fun. Back to school is hectic but that is to be expected. The fact that there is only real room for promotion if you want to go into management and poor salaries lead to high turnover so you will find yourself relied on to provide training by management pretty quickly. Some disconnect between management and employees because some of the management salaries are based on commission and performance bonuses where the associates are entirely salary. Recommend for students as hours are flexible.
Pros
Fun, flexible hours, great people.
Cons
Wages, Growth.
Fantastic workplace
Lead Computer Repair Specialist (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC5 March 2018
The team at Staples was fantastic to work with. The store manager, at the time, made some real questionable decisions, but the managers below him were great to work with. The customers were great, the workload was great, and the hours were really balanced.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Really questionable decisions from store manager
Good Place To work.
Technician/Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 March 2018
Good Company To Work For. No advancement unless you want to go into managment. Good benefits for full time employees. Quarterly Bonus' if you make team goals.
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis
Night Hub Digital Print Assoc (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 March 2018
This was also a job I enjoyed working at with an environment that promoted independent thinking and teamwork with a very open forum for you to communicate with those in any position.
Very demanding job but a great experience whatsoever
Technology Salesman (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 February 2018
You are required to sell even though it is not a commission job. On the bright side, representatives of technology companies come often forming you and teaching you new and useful stuff and you learn a lot about the field.
Every day is different
Copy Consultant (Current Employee) –  London, ON22 February 2018
Every day is different during my work week. I start with my administration work and organize the front office. I then move onto inventory counts. All paper work has a way that needs to be organized in certain ways, they also need to be done the way head office requires. I also work with in the copy centre and I coach the team to meet our goals. We focus on different topics each period that will help us reach our goals. I like to keep busy and keep moving through out the day. I like to know goals and like to figure out how to get there. I have learned lots about team work and management skills. I have learned how to coach different people and what works with certain people. The most enjoyable part if how different every day is. I love when customers have a problem and Im able to solve the issue and the customer leaves happy.
Tech associate
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 February 2018
Not a bad part time if you're a student. Pay is okay. the hardest part was that you were expected to work hard for little reward. Bonuses might as well not be a thing and neither is moving up. learnt a lot about selling.
Great people no room to grow
Shipper/Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2018
Great place to work at and for amazing people but pay is low and there is no room for growth . Great job for students or your first job . Definitely not a place to grow a career
Pros
Pd days paid time off and paid lunch once very 3 months
Cons
No room for growth and paygoes up 10 cents every year
Staples
Employee (Former Employee) –  Canada2 February 2018
They have great training programs and some districts have great cultures. However, this is not an equal opportunity company. You can try for yourself.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Not an equal opportunity work place.
Fun Workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Staples, ON30 January 2018
Friendly staff,great team building exercises. Lots of flexibility with hours
call centre setting
Management very strict on metrics
lots of metrics to be met
Pros
Great management
Caring for your Success
Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON26 January 2018
Management was involved with the personal growth of each individual working in the store. Work was standard retail environment. You were expected to add on sales to the base sale of a product. Often I would feel uncomfortable selling a 26 dollar USB cable for a printer. Some days were very fun as management allowed for some wiggle room for their employees. Some days can be frustrating depending on customer attitudes. Wages for employees started at minimum wage and went up depending on employee performance. It was a fair system however the amount your wage went up was almost negligible. Think 20 - 30 cents per review.
Pros
personal growth
Cons
pressure to add on sales
Good place to work with good management
Technology Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC25 January 2018
Do the daily opening duties such as turning on all computers and tablets. Do an IS4TC report, help customers, stock shelves, make shelf tags, operate the cash system. Management is good and willing to help whenever needed. Co-workers are fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is waking up early to do the opening shift!! The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my fellow co-workers who make the work environment good.
good for experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
it a good work environment
not too hard
some times it gets a little crazy
The management is kind and caring for our needs but was promised a different position after the probation period but that never happend
Pros
student friendly
Cons
never got the position I asked for
It was good
Customer Service Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON24 January 2018
Good company to work for, the training process is very helpful and all employees are expected to be friendly and helpful. This business holds a high standard for their employees.
Great company! Recent buy-out and checked-out manager was only downside.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina SK24 January 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Staples. It's a great company that takes good care of it's employees. The benefits and office environment were great. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Unfortunately the company was recently bought by a private company. Since then, they have been cutting divisions left, right and centre. It didn't make me feel very secure in my position. That coupled with lack of support from my most recent manager is why I chose to leave when I did.

I would like to state that I did not feel that any of my other managers were like this. It was an isolated experience.
Pros
great benefits, awesome atmosphere
Cons
company changes, bad management