STAPLES Canada

STAPLES Canada Employee Reviews

Found 1,314 reviews matching the search
Every area of the store is different so I can only speak for the department I worked in which was Copy and Print. To be honest it was mentally exhausting. The amount of work that is expected of you with unrealistic goals and expectations. Like a small store is expected to make the same goal as a store twice the size with only half the foot traffic. There is little to no recognition or encouragement. It's very much a "look how other stores in your district are doing. Why aren't you as good as them. You have to do better" I consistently feel like I'm fighting head office over little things because they do not understand anything about Newfoundland. Don't get me wrong it's not all bad. The staff was great and they would have little fun days and events for staff. But they were few and far between.
Pros
Great Benefits, chance for growth within the company
Cons
Low Wages, Mentally Exhausting, Unrealistic expectations in certain areas
Cannot recommend this company once was an awesome place to work now it's all about making 'stats' unreasonable stats. Impossible to please the managers.
Pros
pension plan, insurance
Cons
shifts, work weekends, demands to hard to me met
STAPLES in Saskatoon was a good place to work. The managers were pretty reasonable and I got along well with my coworkers. Sometimes it could be stressful, especially when dealing with impatient or irascible customers, or during BTS (Back to School) season. Also the wages weren't great--they started me at just about minimum wage from what I remember. But as I was only working part-time while going to school that was fine for me.
Pros
Good coworkers, managers, generally fun work
Cons
Weird hours, pay wasn't great
I have been working for Staples for over 15 years! The company has changed in the last 3 years after being purchased by Sycamore. No longer do they care about people! It is all about whether the RVP likes you, she has issues with anyone who has been around 10 years+. Work long hours and not appreciated. The retail managers have not received increase in 2019 or 2020, last year due to poor results and min wage increases this year due to Covid. 2021 will probably be another reason given by HR and Operations. The company needs to give its head a shake as they have been really good at driving away some really good managers over the last couple of years, perhaps that is the goal? If you want to be managed under a microscope and feel stressed out than this is the place for you! They no longer care about people, new philosophy is if you don’t like it leave we can replace you!
Cons
Over all the experience was good. The sub ordinates were rude with the junior staff and share less knowledge with them. Where else, the senior management were cooperative but at end they would definitely listen to their permanent staff
Pros
Nice working environment, cafeteria was amazing
Cons
Micromanagement
Not worth it, support is not here. Will pretend to be there and when it matters they don’t help. Extremely high demands to meet sale goals and zero reward for doing it not even a real pat on the back
Pros
Good work life absolutely nothing else
Cons
You need to do everything and no one cares or thanks you for going way above and beyond
Staples is good company to work for if you are starting out your career. It is a company driven by processes and results. You will get all the tools needed in order to perform your duties.
Pros
Great spirited company, Freindly, you always have support with any and everything you need in and out of work.
Cons
You always feel the pressure of having to do produce, Sometimes you feel your best is not good enough
I was with Staples for about 6 years. In that time I worked at 2 of the stores. I was a cashier, aisles associate, technology associate and a technician, all without a lay raise. I was working for minimum wage the whole time. The companie's equipment barely works and is very out dated, there is next to no training and moving up in the company is a joke. But I worked with amazing people. I deem working there worth it just for the people. But it should very much be a temporary job. Its not a bad job to start with, there are definitely worse options but don't expect amazing pay. Or for the job to be fair.
Pros
Amazing staff.
Cons
Pay is a joke.
Corporate really needs to get out of the stores business, low hours, not enough staff, low pay, but good benefits. Management is horrible, Overall a great job for people just starting out or are still in school.
Pros
freindly staff, benefits
Cons
no hrs for part time people
I was caring for my mother, I was forced to work weekend. Ultimately I was given a choice to give the hours they wanted or leave. They even wrote the wrong reason in my employement record saying it was mutual, when it wasn't. After dealing with personal issues I had notify the ceo of major flaws that had happen at store levels, i was pushed out of the compagny for no good reason.
Pros
Cons
hr will not care what happens in you're life, you have to have open availability
Excellent Experience working with management and sales associate. Learning about business orientation of staffing and the Service associated with the situation.
The management at Corporate has no clue what happens at store level. Corporate says they support the staff but they don't its all about the money. No one is ever held accountable for their actions. Don't believe them when they tell you that you can advance through the ranks in this company, simply not true.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Retail
Keeping safety of employee and customers during pandemic situation. Great service provided with extended warranty, accidental plans, tech support services, monthly and yearly easy care plan.
Pros
Helps if any questions, solves all the problems of the customer. Insist on taking breaks on time.
Cons
nothing
Good fast pace always on the go always helping in other departments working on day shift also afternoon shifts, also helping out in the other warehouse
Staples has spent the last several years cutting costs at the expense of quality of life for their employees, especially management. I worked a minimum of 50-60 hours per week, something that is not at all uncommon for most Staples managers. The overtime is unpaid, and no lieu time was given. I worked in a store that operated 16 hours a day with only myself and the general manager, meaning we never worked together. The third management position was intentionally left unfilled by the Divisional Manager, seemingly to reduce operating costs. My manager was unable to observe my performance to provide me with coaching, and I was unable to observe how he performed his job. This created a situation in which I felt unable to grow into a new position with the company. Many of the managers I knew had no work/life balance, and health problems were rampant. In my exit interview, the HR rep I spoke with was completely unsurprised at my reasons for leaving (overwork, mainly) and said that the HR department had been hearing the same thing a lot lately. I was at least the 9th manager in Toronto to quit that year. The work itself might have been okay had anyone been given the resources they needed to succeed. Instead, executive management policies left store management and associates alike feeling stressed, unappreciated, and taken advantage of.
HR won't even talk to you until they have a copy of an up-to-date Driver's Abstract, which is immediately asking for private/personal information before you even have your first chance to ask questions about whether or not you're even interested in the position. Look elsewhere.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Hr, Management, Low Wages, Long Hours
- 9-1/2 to 11 hours per day (not 8 as HR claims) - Starting wage should be at least $20, not $17 - Repetitive lifting of boxes (reams of paper) - Regional driving only (no out of town) - Elody's HR tactics are slick
Pros
Autonomy, Stable Employment
Cons
Pay, Repetitive Lifting
Management are very good,The staff are friendly. you have your busy days,everyone Helps everyone till all the orders are done. The only issue is you don’t know when you finish. Yearly BBQ
Pros
Giveaways
Cons
You don’t know when you finish
The staff at any Staples I have had the pleasure of working in, are amazing! The management are great and really listen to your needs. The head office could take some notes... For the jobs you are required to do, the pay could be better.
Pros
Staff Days (free lunch, parties)
Cons
Salary
Working with staples is an add to your resume and experience as it is a big company to start with in Canada. I have learnt alot from the team. We are like brothers and sister and everyone one is helping the other to understand the whole process. It is my pleasure to work there.
I worked as a lead hand running a department for 8 years and never promoted even though I was " being groomed". Its easy to remain stagnant in your role. There was no opportunity to grow or advancement. I was happy to leave under the current management.
  1. Employee reviews