STAPLES Canada logo
STAPLES Canada

STAPLES Canada Employee Reviews

Found 1,346 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,365 reviews

Good Company

This was a good company to work with. They pay there staff well, good training and very nice people. Would not hesitate to recommend this company to a friend.

Pros

training, friendly staff, pay

Cons

hard to move up

Not a bad inbetween job

Working at staples was a pretty good experience. The people I worked with were awesome, management was okay, and the overall culture was very fun. the Wages on the other hand are not so good, unless you can land a management position.But, if this is your first job, and just need some experience, I would recommend Staples.

Pros

Good Culture, Fun People

Cons

Low Wages

Don't waste your time

The company provides inadequate training and expects much more from you. When I first joined the company, the training manager expected me to learn everything through videos but did not actually train me on the floor. The workplace is very toxic and stressful because of the consistent micromanagement to upsell. You are expected to up-sell on every sale, harass EVERY customer to buy staples warranties, and mislead customers to get your sales. It becomes a very toxic selling culture and you are to blame for when you don’t meet your sales for the week.The “toxic selling experience” IS STAPLES SELLING EXPERIENCE.

Pros

Cons

Favouritism, discrimination and very toxic

Awesome Team!

The people who work (or at least worked) at this location were the absolute best. It was like having a second family. I always felt appreciated and listened to when I was at work. However, the company itself is not so great. The higher-ups did not communicate with stores properly and when they could find the time to speak to us it was never positive. If you do not like selling things to people I would not reccomend this job either. But if you can handle the high levels of stress that the company and occasional customer create and are looking for a fun and caring team then definitely apply!

Pros

Accommodating Schedule, Positive Team

Cons

Minimum Wage, High Pressure, Very Fast Paced

Loved the people I worked with, The company itself... not so much

I really enjoyed working with the staff at my brach of Staples. We were at a flagship store so management was for the most part young, forward thinking and likeable. However, the company policies in general sucked. Higher ups (past general manager) were inflexible with their demands for production, even during a pandemic. I went from loving the work I did as a copy associate to hating going to work every day. The pay is god awful as well. Minimum wage, and the requirements of the job kept increasing. The turnover rate is incredibly high, so that tells you all you need to know.

Pros

They take into consideration time off for classes, doctors appointments, enjoyable work, 2 paid 15 min breaks

Cons

long standing hours with no seating, often long periods before getting a break, perpetually short staffed to cut back on costs, stressful work environment

For students

Staples is a good job for student, however they will push you to sell sell sell and get mad if you dont.. the manager are nice in general, but get pressure by the higher ups to make you sell, so they pressure you. It did happen that they ve schedule me outside of my availabilities, but I took my foot down and tell them that I will not come in, there were okay with it. But overall i don’t regret working there the staff and manager are awesome people and i miss some of them

Pros

The coworkers are awesome

Over worked not good enough pay

The things you’re required to do does not nearly meet the pay you get and management is fragile and only care about themselves. Should you work here be prepared to feel like an outcast and should you be hired expect to be tasked with long and incompleteable list of things to do

Apply for work elsewhere.

Not a good place to work. The only good thing about the job is some of the people you work alongside. The company operates off of an outdated modelling system. Basic tools to do my job never work such as phones, scanners, computers. They only like you if you generate high sales numbers and do not stand behind their staff/employees. There are people in positions which they should never be in. Fun fact: Even a place like Walmart pays their employees a higher wage than Staples!!

Pros

Some co-workers, occasional free lunch.

Cons

Management, very low pay, harassed by customers & low morale amongst staff.

it's fun and learn and growing company

I'm working for staples about 4years and half, honestly I LOVE STAPLES, it's great company to learn and grow and having nice management.HR always support us for small to big issues and try to help us and resolve it,

Welcoming and a collaborative team

I felt like family while working at Staples. Was welcomed into the team and build great long time connections for future job opportunities. My values at work were considered and I moved up from cashier to sales/stock associate once I was trained in the position. I got to collaborate on sales with my tech team and all in all felt respected at work. Would recommend to anyone looking for a some what fast pass job who is great with customer assistance.

Pros

Respected in my position

Cons

Could benefit with more training

Jobs at STAPLES Canada

See more jobs

Staples is the Best

When I was 16 Years old I did a Coop program with a working trainer at store 69 for a Year and After The 2 years of my coop program I work at Monday to Friday after all the coop is all done I got hire on in 2013 4 hrs I did my every week thing like the paper and ect ! in 2017 the manger see my work and he got me more hrs and the people awesome and staff

Pros

discount on the first day

Cons

Some times the night staff cant get stuff done

Clinging to relevancy

Staples is an outdated company stuck in the 1980's. If not for the fact that they operate in a niche market with little competition, they would have faded away already. Their notion of being a high quality customer service experience would set them apart if not for the fact that they try to do this with the absolute bare minimum number of staff on hand. They refuse to pay anything more than minimum wage so of course, they will never attract talented individuals. The benefits are embarrassing. They do not use modern software for inventory control. Instead, they use AS400 which was DOS based and written in 1980 so staff have no choice but to walk around looking for inventory since it doesn't track location other than to say if it is in the building or not. They focus and rely on pushing warranties on electronics instead of focusing on their core business which is and should always be office supplies and services.

Pros

Good place for high school grads to start

Cons

Poor wages, benefits and work environment

Not a good place

Literally the managers sided with certain people. I worked there for just over 7 years and went on maternity leave. Managers were rude. I watched people get promoted after I had already been there 4 years or more before them and I had known everything a manager and/or supervisor knew. I was the one training the supervisors but was never ever promoted. Went on mat leave and just never went back. Wasn’t worth the stress anymore. And on top of it, according the general manager that was there. People don’t get sick. They’re not allowed to get sick. That’s what the flu shot is for. Like I would not recommend staples to ANYONE

Loved the people, not the company.

I had amazing coworkers, and usually good management. However, the company itself doesn't care much for their employees, and the pay is very low considering the expectations - management was usually nice, but limited in what they could do to help/support us. We were either understaffed or overstaffed, which led to employees staying way after close to clean up and prepare for the next day (particularly for supervisors and managers), or part-time employees only working one shift a week. However, I liked the work I did in the print centre, and personally found it pretty fun. Honestly, its a pretty good place for a part-time or temporary job, but not really worth trying to move up in the company if you value spending time with friends and family.

Pros

Nice coworkers, decent discounts

Cons

Messy hours, company doesn't care about you

Good place to start

Good place to start career or get customer service experience but few opportunities to go further or advance career. BTS is most tough and tired time for cashiers and other are persons. And pay structure was worst. Not enough increment if you work full time still. Only few cent increments despite doing too much work for whole year. Work culture and people were good but depend upon store location.

Great Store, Pay was the main issue

Loved almost all of my time at Staples. Managers that cared, and co-workers that were great. I loved the work, always something different in the Print and Marketing Center to challenge me. The down side is the below average pay, and even more below average yearly raises for employees. If it weren't for those factors I would have loved to stay!

Pros

Coworkers, Management

Cons

Pay

Very monotonous routine and not a very open scope for advancemet

Having worked in retail for a long time, I had much higher expectations from this company especially considering my previous work experience but that wasn’t enough. There are some friendly people and you just need to learn to be polite towards everyone in general and keep your sincerity with people who actually show trust in you and admire you for who you are. Politics is essentially a part of all workplaces in varying capacity but one has to learn to move on quickly from some incidents and just keep doing what they are doing as long as the customers are happy.

Pros

Sunlife insurance

Cons

Poor payscale

Poor Management

Many of the managers are sexist and micromanage. I had a manager tell me I needed to “stop hitting on the tech guys” when my job directly interacted with them. Many employees are great and the work itself is okay. The company is very disorganized with some parts of the store but it is mostly a head office issue. Make sure you try and get a feel for the managers before accepting a position. Major anxiety going to work simply because of the manager.

Pros

Good employees, helpful employees, decent wages.

Cons

Terrible store hours, bad management, unorganized store/corporate office.

Clueless management completely unaware of their bias or how to treat people

Management needs to take diversity training. There are daily comments of stupidity in meetings and men remain dominant. HR are very strict - it’s a helicopter culture - not a trust working from home. Employees work very long hours often through lunch - meetings are endless. The current merger is a mess - a lot of details are outstanding leaving teams with unnecessary stress. Communication is lacking and could reassure employees. Stores are disconnected from head office. There’s no allowance for equipment for at home employees. Even a year on employees are working at kitchen tables - Stapes sells the essentials but doesn’t look after it’s own team.

Pros

Salary is competitive, advancement opportunities

Cons

Long hours, unreliable management, lack of communication, no working from home support

Lift and carry and repeat

Well I hope you have a strong back, lots of lifting is in your future at Staples. The pay is ok for what is required of you at this position. Work hard go home get up do it again, just please be ca of your back is tough work consistently carrying 50 pound boxes of copy paper up multiple flights of stairs.

Pros

Weekends

Cons

Poor weather

Short term type jobs

Very little room for growth. Minimum wage and good to earn work experience if you just finished school. Great for students so alot of team work which makes it fun but not a long term job if u got a family to support.

Pros

Employee discounts

Cons

A lot of standing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STAPLES Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement