Staples Canada
Happiness score is 55 out of 100

Working at Staples Canada: Employee Reviews

Canada1,533 reviews

Found 1,533 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,557 reviews

Fast paced, fun but competetive as youll meet customers that you feel connected to but its about the selling that is important.

The work is fast-paced, some hours, there will be a lot of customers walking in, and the selling is competitive but collaborative at the same time. Your work will be rewarded but it will take time.

Pression inutile

Sous pression, vous force à vendre des produits inutile juste pour plus de profit

Insights into Staples Canada

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Overwhelming when alone at Solution Shop

The job can be overwhelming most of the time especially when you're alone and has lots of customers (mostly rude ones) to attend to. There should be 3 associates in every shift to prevent loss sale and getting bad reviews from customers. If you plan to work here or you're new, be prepared to make A LOT of mistakes in the beginning as there will be a steep learning curve; a lot of things you need to know with no proper training. However, you'll be lucky if there will be a senior associate during your shifts whom you can ask questions to.

Cons

No proper training, always short-staffed at Solution Shop

It is a corporate company.

I have worked there for a few years and often your work gets overlooked unless you have close relationships with your coworkers or supervisors. Pay is not good and you never get a raise.

Wonderful team atmosphere but incredibly low pay and hours

The job was great at first with a lot of hours, but once back to school goes away there's no hours for them to give and the pay is too low to compensate for this.

Stressful

It might just be the location I work in but it's a very stressful job. We are always understaffed and the manager says there's nothing they can do. I would be helping four customers and another 4 customer's will be waiting for me. There's time when there's only 1 person on the floor helping customers.

Pros

Good place for experience

Cons

List too long to fit here.

Good management

Always something to do. The employees themselves are every kind and management is very good when it comes to supporting employee needs. Good for students or someone needing a job

Terrible pay

Pay is garbage but I knew the GM so working there was less worse for me. The other managers are super stressful and will pressure you to sell without commission.

Good team and management

It is my first job in Canada. I got very nice team. All are very helpful. Manager is always stands with team. Such a nice work environment..I learnt lot there.

Too many promotions

They expect way more from management than is physically possible to complete in a work day. That’s why they hire them as salary and not hourly. If an employee is not working out, HR demands the person be coached and coached and coached and does not allow for the employee to be terminated, even if it is within 90 days of employment.

Pros

Only open until 8pm.

Cons

Too much work load, Paid salary, pressure sales

Decent job but toxic general manager

Was a decent job, except for the fact that the general manager in this location was toxic, treated employees poorly, wasn’t a good leader, was rarely uplifting or positive, made the interview feel more like an interrogation, told me they didn’t care about my happiness working at the company, favouritism, lack of new opportunities, and many more negative experiences.

Pros

Good hours, long breaks.

Cons

Toxic management/workplace, little to no advancement, favouritism.

Summer part time job for a student

Working at Staples is pretty easy, you show up to work and do the daily task that is asked from you. It gets very monotonous and you would be walking a lot. An 8 hour shift would probably be around 15,000-18,000 steps. Salary is minimum wage.

Pros

It was an okay part time job

Cons

A shift feels eternal

Fun and fast paced workplace

There was always a lot going on but it was overall quite enjoyable and quite flexible. We where often understaffed and getting tasks done would be difficult because I was always helping customers.

Poor general management

General manager strongly enforces his expectations and opinions of workers who work hard yet not to others with weak work ethic. Tactic leads to many overwhelmed staff who take on extra duties, shifts, or emotional carriage as to appease management. "It's all about money".

Good for starting out as a fresher

Company has a-lot of potential but Management needs to change. Pay is very low for the positions and job roles. Some of the older Management were very good but many left.

Extremely flexible

I have had some medical issues and surgeries. Staples here in Rothesay and Saint John have been very supportive, and understanding. I wish I had worked here 20 years ago so I could feel comfortable in job advancement.

A good company to work for

I worked in the Quill.com call centre section. Good company. Management does a good job of managing the atmosphere and their relationships with employees. It was a call-centre job so, naturally, the pay wasn't stellar but what do you expect; it's a low-skill job.

Pros

work atmosphere

Cons

low pay

Copy and print centre was a reasonably ok job

Fellow employees were great. Management was ok, but the head manager wasn't always the nicest. Got mad at me for missing work due to emergency surgery

Salaire minimum mais de grandes demandes

Si vous pensez allez chez Bureau en Gros pour bien gagner votre vie, allez voir ailleurs tout de suite. Les standards de paye sont très faible, le siège social et les DM mettent beaucoup de pression sur les associés pour atteindre les quotas et cela, tout en ayant un salaire très mince. C'est sans parler du ridicule 10% de rabais qui est accordé en informatique. MAIS, l'entreprise est fière de faire oublier le mince salaire des employés en faisant une semaine de reconnaissance des employés, en revanche, toujours pas d'augmentation; l'entreprise récompense les employés avec des souper Pizza envirion deux fois par année. De plus, les District Magnager sont toujours sur le dos des employés pour faire de Staples une marque parfaite mais, encore, sans donner des condition salariales dignes de ce que les associés méritent pour le travail rendu.If you're thinking of going to Staples to make a decent wage, look elsewhere now. The pay standards are very low, the head office and the DMs put a lot of pressure on the associates to meet the quotas and this, while having a very low salary. That's not to mention the ridiculous 10% discount that is granted in the technology section. BUT, the company is proud to make up for the low pay of employees by doing an employee recognition week, on the other hand, still no raise; the company rewards employees with pizza dinners about twice a year. In addition, the District Magnagers are always on the backs of the employees to make Staples a perfect brand but, again, without giving salary conditions worthy of what the associates deserve for the work -

Belle expérience

Excellente entreprise, bonne équipe.Possibilité d’avancement

Pros

Avantage sociaux, rabais

Cons

Stress, manque de personnel

Pour une première expérience c'est pas grave

Pour une première expérience c'est pas cher staples vous allez avoir une formation sur les item et les outils de communication avec la service à la clientèle et ce poste vous permettent d'obtenir une expérience professionnelle au service commercial.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Staples Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement