STANTEC Employee Reviews

Senior Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS18 March 2019
Just to much focus on share prices the past 5 years, no real commitment to employees anymore, morale has been declining and losing alot of experienced workers
Pros
Lots of training provided
Cons
Morale is not like it use to be, focus shifted to share prices, lost a lot of good workers leaving as a result
Extremely well managed with professionalism
Senior Mechanical Engineer & TM Lead (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB17 March 2019
Although I was a casual employee, I was an integral part of the team, was given very challenging role, and your team members are team players. I highly recommend this company.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Cons
Not the worst place to work
Geotechnical Technician (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia12 March 2019
Decent hours. Pay wasn't the greatest ($18.00/hr). Not much chance for advancement. Lack of communication from higher ups. Saw the project manager twice in 5 months. Lack of foresight. Bad training system. Lots of turnover.
Pros
Decent hours/expenses when busy, great coworkers
Cons
No communication from upper level, You are just a number working for Stantec
Great place to work, staff of all ages and experience levels
Engineering Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB10 March 2019
I worked there as a summer student and everyone there was very helpful and easy to talk to. I was assigned to a team to work with which made it easy to find tasks to do.
Difficult to balance work and personal life
Sr. ICT Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 March 2019
Difficult to balance work load and personal life. What the corporate promote is not what you seen at the local businesses centers.
No enough funds allocated to attend conferences and advance trainings
Pros
Quartely meetings, once a year breakfast
Cons
Long hours and hard to attend courses and seminars
Great work place and co-workers
Civil Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 March 2019
i enjoyed working at Stantec. I believe I am worth more money for my experience,efforts and work ethic but as such a large company raises are not based on performance but how a whole division did that year.
I also do not like being laid off over the winter months when there is not enough work on the go for field work.
One of the best place to work
Energy Management Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2019
One of the best place to work and many opportunities for advancement to management position. Great people to work with and opportunities for switching to other disciplines within the company.
Pros
Many opportunities for advanced
Cons
One of the best companies to work with
Nice for recent grads, but salary and workload may make it unappealing for the long term
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2019
While projects were often interesting and dynamic, workload could be very inconsistent. In our office in particular, work was usually consistent between the summer months until December and then VERY busy from the new year until the end of March. After the end of the federal fiscal year the office and workload was almost non-existent and there were months where I had almost no work to do. This wouldn’t be such a problem if you are not paid almost exclusively based on project work and performance wasn’t based on charge-ability, which in turn is measured solely on hours of project or chargeable work. While the team I worked on was large, it seemed like many did not want to share workload which made coming up with hours difficult. Overtime hours can be banked for the future but I tended to only get those when doing field work and as a predominantly office staff with no personal vehicle this could be hard to come by.

While we were provided with a decent benefits package, salaries were quite low in comparison to the average for my title and geographic area, and the largest raise I ever received was about $0.80/hour. The real kicker though was how often we were told our business centre was doing well and that the company was growing, however this was never reflected in employee wages. Additionally, new, less experienced staff, were often hired at starting wages greater than existing staff.

During my time with the company we had considerable turnover in the junior level staff largely due to salary and the fact that there didn’t really seem to be much opportunity for advancement.
  more... Stantec may be a good company to start a career in environmental consulting but it may not prove to be the best if one is looking to start and maintain a long term career there.  less
Cons
Salary, fluctuating workload, large company
Good people work here
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2019
This is a good company for young engineers and architects to gain experience in their field (multi-discipline) for large and small projects.Diversified team members.
Pros
Made some good friends there.
Cons
traded company
Good Company
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2019
Stantec is a good company work life balance is not that good it is depend on your department, Salary is fair but increase is not good you will be lucky if you received a 50 cent increase an hour.
Pros
good Benefits
Cons
Work life balance and Salary Increase
Great environmental projects.
Water and Wastewater Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 January 2019
Great Company to work for. best engineering standards. Cares for quality. You get chance to work on best projects, learn and develop your skills. It attaccts skilled people.
Pros
Great company to work for.
Cons
none.
Great place to work.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2019
I enjoyed working at Stantec within their power and distribution teem and would happily work there again if given the opportunity. There is a good balance between life, fun and work at Stantec.
Large busy payroll
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton20 January 2019
Biweekly payroll is very structured but special project lack guidance and detail. Recognize for years of service on a Corporate level on a department level years of service and education is not recognized. Over 15 team members.
Pros
Across all provinces and territories
Cons
Staff are not appreciated, large vacation freeze Dec-Feb and work Christmas season
Good employer
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB14 January 2019
Enjoyed working at Stantec, very professional company that respects their employees. The people were friendly and easy to get along with and offered assistance if you were unfamiliar with their procedures or file system.
Good consulting firm
Senior Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2019
Work on a variety of projects in many different sectors. Some very high profile projects with many disciplines. Opportunity for personal growth and learn new skills.
Try to find a better option if you can
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC1 January 2019
I'm a fairly experienced senior practitioner who learned within a couple of months that my experience had no value to an insecure and ineffective management team. I had some great colleagues in other offices who were kind enough to let me bring what I could to their projects, and I learned a lot from them, which was cool. But the issues with the management team and the company's generalized tactic of dealing with slack times with enthused and immediate lay offs had the predictable outcome. Not a happy thing to have to see coming over months of staring at Stantec's widely posted slogans "we put people first" and "we do the right thing." No idea who those apply to, but it's not the employees.
Seconded to EPCOR Distribution and Transmission 6 out of 7 years with Stantec. EPCOR was an excellent company to work for.
Project Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2018
I was hired by Stantec due to the request from EPCOR. Once my services were not required at EPCOR, I went back to Stantec. Unfortunately the Oil and Gas industry took an unexpected turn. Stantec can no longer keep me because of the cancellation of many projects related to the Oil and Gas industry.
Great company to work for.
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER, EIT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2018
Really great company to work for, although I feel your experience may be altered based on the team you are on or your supervisor. Having a great supervisor is one of the main ways you can advance your career. They mention they have flex hours, but also expect you to be at work during regular work hours. Best part of work was to be part of a really great team that had a project manager who was very supportive and believed in helping his team advance. The hardest part was getting approvals and making business cases for things as simple as getting a laptop to be able to remotely work.
Pros
Fun Social Events
Cons
Rare bonuses
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS12 December 2018
A challenging place of employment. It provided many opportunities to learn a new computer program and the many types of engineering consulting that is available.
Large engineering house - typically bottom line focused
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2018
Stantec is a large engineering house that offers great opportunities for recent grads, and is an excellent place to start a career.

As one gets experience, vertical advancement is limited, and it is not difficult to become pigeon-holed into a position that one demonstrates proficiency in. In business, this is understandable,to keep the top producers doing what they're good at...day after day...after day. You will be worked hard and the workplace stress is palpable for middle managers. It is always worth reminding yourself that "i signed up for this".

If you did not start your career as a recent grad with Stantec to learn their impressive bureaucracy, quickly identify a mentor to learn from. New hires receive limited instruction (all webinars) and for advanced tasks such as revenue recognition, write-off, earned value analysis ect.., you're on your own to learn their systems. Unfortunately there are times where it feels like the battles fought with internal administrators are far larger than the struggles experienced with difficult clients...but that's part of the territory.

Stantec is very candid about the bottom line. At the time of hiring, intermediate project managers / engineers will be warned that in the event of a downturn, layoffs will occur. This leads to an unsettling employment start, which should not be forgotten for the duration of employment. In boom times, this caution obviously becomes a bit irrelevant, but never make an assumption that based on your utilization/performace to date, you won't be considered for layoff if the backlog gets below
  more... a certain threshold.

On the bright side, the larger Stantec centers retain large interesting, high-profile projects. The experience gained by working on such projects is definitely marketable.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Feedback could be better