Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Try to find a better option if you can
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC1 January 2019
I'm a fairly experienced senior practitioner who learned within a couple of months that my experience had no value to an insecure and ineffective management team. I had some great colleagues in other offices who were kind enough to let me bring what I could to their projects, and I learned a lot from them, which was cool. But the issues with the management team and the company's generalized tactic of dealing with slack times with enthused and immediate lay offs had the predictable outcome. Not a happy thing to have to see coming over months of staring at Stantec's widely posted slogans "we put people first" and "we do the right thing." No idea who those apply to, but it's not the employees.
Great company to work for.
STRUCTURAL DESIGNER, EIT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2018
Really great company to work for, although I feel your experience may be altered based on the team you are on or your supervisor. Having a great supervisor is one of the main ways you can advance your career. They mention they have flex hours, but also expect you to be at work during regular work hours. Best part of work was to be part of a really great team that had a project manager who was very supportive and believed in helping his team advance. The hardest part was getting approvals and making business cases for things as simple as getting a laptop to be able to remotely work.
Pros
Fun Social Events
Cons
Rare bonuses
Seconded to EPCOR Distribution and Transmission 6 out of 7 years with Stantec. EPCOR was an excellent company to work for.
Project Assistant/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2018
I was hired by Stantec due to the request from EPCOR. Once my services were not required at EPCOR, I went back to Stantec. Unfortunately the Oil and Gas industry took an unexpected turn. Stantec can no longer keep me because of the cancellation of many projects related to the Oil and Gas industry.
Large busy payroll
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton20 January 2019
Biweekly payroll is very structured but special project lack guidance and detail. Recognize for years of service on a Corporate level on a department level years of service and education is not recognized. Over 15 team members.
Pros
Across all provinces and territories
Cons
Staff are not appreciated, large vacation freeze Dec-Feb and work Christmas season
Great corporate culture but favouritism is rampant
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
The company culture is great, lots of events and activities through out the year. Actual work was satisfying, great place to get work experience but overall pay was not great and there was too much favouritism. Creativity was not fostered what so ever as it seemed like an "old boys club" company and new ideas were immediately scrutinized. They seem to value employees that have been there the longest which kills creativity and innovation. They also seem to have postings just for fishing candidates, seen the same few postings all year, please don't waste people's time.
Pros
lots of activities
Cons
Favouritism, lack of creativity
Demoralizing, terrible company to work for
Administration (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC5 October 2018
Worked there 9 years and was laid off during a downturn in oil & gas industry, along with many other long term staff. Laid off in the most humiliating and inhuman way. Management is terrible. There's no room for growth, unless you're as dishonest and immoral as the higher ups. Its a toxic work environment, especially for women - sexual harassment and sexism is commonplace. Staff left on stress leave often. People in the know call it 'Satantec'. Don't go there if you have a soul.
Pros
Cons
Toxic place to work
One of the best place to work
Energy Management Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 February 2019
One of the best place to work and many opportunities for advancement to management position. Great people to work with and opportunities for switching to other disciplines within the company.
Pros
Many opportunities for advanced
Cons
One of the best companies to work with
Good Company
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2019
Stantec is a good company work life balance is not that good it is depend on your department, Salary is fair but increase is not good you will be lucky if you received a 50 cent increase an hour.
Pros
good Benefits
Cons
Work life balance and Salary Increase
Great environmental projects.
Water and Wastewater Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 January 2019
Great Company to work for. best engineering standards. Cares for quality. You get chance to work on best projects, learn and develop your skills. It attaccts skilled people.
Pros
Great company to work for.
Cons
none.
Good people work here
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2019
This is a good company for young engineers and architects to gain experience in their field (multi-discipline) for large and small projects.Diversified team members.
Pros
Made some good friends there.
Cons
traded company
Good employer
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB14 January 2019
Enjoyed working at Stantec, very professional company that respects their employees. The people were friendly and easy to get along with and offered assistance if you were unfamiliar with their procedures or file system.
Sets you up properly to do your job safely
Geotechnical Technician (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 November 2018
My work was mostly remote and individual, which of course is great for some folks. I do appreciate how much training was provided by Stantec so I could effectively do my job - I was not just thrown headfirst into things by myself.
Prepare to be low-balled on salary
Civil Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2018
Overall it's a decent company but... Salaries increase barely enough to cover inflation. CEO and upper management is usually blind when they're not being tone-deaf since they really enjoy emailing everybody to let know we bought another company meanwhile we can't get a decent raise or computer upgrades. Recently had a freeze on hiring by upper management when lots of work is still to be done. Therefore everyone now has to grind it out after hours and hope your family is still home when you get there. Basically upper management will listen to your ideas and and then continue with whatever half-baked scheme they were originally planning.
Pros
Flexible hours depending on your boss
Cons
Salaries and benefits are barely competitive...
Architectural Consulting Firm
Arch Technologist Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 November 2018
Production of drawings for projects.
Contract Administration Duties for projects in construction.
Quiet office environment.
Need to be a self manager, and need to advocate for yourself.
Great place to work.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2019
I enjoyed working at Stantec within their power and distribution teem and would happily work there again if given the opportunity. There is a good balance between life, fun and work at Stantec.
Going Global Changes a Company
PA Coordinator/Senior Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2018
Stantec Consulting Ltd. was a great place to work for the first decade that I was employed there. The company provided many opportunities for both professional and personal growth.
Pros
Decent compensation packages
Good consulting firm
Senior Mechanical Designer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2019
Work on a variety of projects in many different sectors. Some very high profile projects with many disciplines. Opportunity for personal growth and learn new skills.
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS12 December 2018
A challenging place of employment. It provided many opportunities to learn a new computer program and the many types of engineering consulting that is available.
Interesting projects to work on but work can be slow at times.
Project Manager/System Designer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON25 July 2018
Nice work day of 7.5hr, 37.5 work week. Opportunity for overtime when large jobs are acquired. Opportunity to work across the country with professionals.
Pros
Good training opportunities, large company benefits
Cons
Can get lost in the large company profile.
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Engineer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 June 2018
When I use to volunteer at Stantec Consulting as a Engineers Assistant, everyone were so friendly. Most work places are competitive and want to be the best at their work, but this isn't how the people at Stantec function. Every one wants to see each other prosper at their field, and if they can't they'll get the up most support and motivation that they can and they will!
Pros
Chill working environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.