Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

Productive and great place to start your career
Pipeline Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2017
Working in project teams and accepting new challenges is great for the career. You get to meet many people from a variety of disciplines. Lots of opportunities to learn from other mentors, during lunch and learns etc. Company events are alright, could be better. Management is excellent, listens and really want you to grow.
Pros
Lots of lunch and learns, excellent management
Cons
Nature of projects and deadlines could mean long hours
Ever expanding company with scope of experiance
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 November 2017
Management is supportive to the employees.
There is lot of interaction with different divisions of the company which provided a wide scope for gaining experience in the different field of work the company have to offer.
Creating Communities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
the people you work with and the creativity that you are permitted make it all worth it. I get to do things that I am good at as well as learn about things that I am interested in
Productive and collaborative working place
Senior Integrity Engineer & Assistant Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2017
Great place to work with development opportunities, great technical team and collaborative environment. Team leaders support employees technical and personal development, and are willing to provide advise when required.
Good to work for
CADD Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2017
Worked at Stantec for a short period. The work environment was very friendly. Supervision was strong and provided help and directions. Company systems were strong.
Good People
Transportation Technologist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 November 2017
Enjoyed working there, and the people I worked with were great and very knowledgable. There was a lot of resources available.

Middle management seemed friendly, but cold hearted at the end, as no job options or retraining was presented.
Pros
Great people and resources
Cons
Sometimes seems like the company is too large.
Excellent benefits
Document Control Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmotnon7 November 2017
Excellent benefits, project based, insecure in times of lack of projects, very good place to work when busy, however management oblivious to clients needs.
Very nice and relaxing atmosphere!
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON1 November 2017
Drafted sketches and engineering drawings
Sized mechanical equipment
Perform Engineering Calculations
Visit construction sites as required for field measurements and verification
good place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  toronto, on3 October 2017
fast paced consultancy. Very entrepreneurial spirit, but a big publicly traded company with all the usual protocols. Aggressively expanding, and highly dynamic-- a lot of change..
Provides great support and flexible schedule with solid management.
Project Controller (Current Employee) –  Calgary27 September 2017
I've been working with Stantec for close to 8 years and the work culture is friendly, fun and fair. Management is approachable and supportive towards business and personal goals. Flexible work schedule and loads of team focused events.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
minimal salary increases
Opportunities abound
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 September 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was the hands on work which yielded immediate results. The team environment was very inclusive. The hardest part of the job was the temperature in the laboratory.
The department's could have over 150 employees
Community Development Technologist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 September 2017
Got along with other employee, friendly working environment and had board games during lunch hour and worked from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Usually accumulate 2 weeks of vacation by the end of the year and you could bank your additional hours.
On Fridays there were doughnuts and casual wear.
Working outside depends on the weather and usually starts up in May and ends in November. Working in the office is usually 7.5 hours, working area is very open and software's are always up to date.
Pros
Free doughnuts and friendly environment
Cons
Economy and working long hours outside.
Professional workplace
Instrumentation & Controls (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2017
Stantec consulting Is a good place to start a professional career and, also learn from various projects. Diversify clients also allow you to increase your expertise.
60 hrs/wk, no overtime, bonuses are very low
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 August 2017
Too many meetings, extremly difficult to accomplish everything your position requires of you. Not enough compensation, benefits are standard, but coverage amounts keep being lowered.
Cons
Long hours. There is no work-life balance.
A draining place to work
confidential (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON1 August 2017
I worked for this company for 5 years and can honestly say that the only positive outcome of the experience was the exposure to many different types of projects and clients. Unless you are in management, you can expect to be underpaid and to not receive wage increases to account for cost of living expenses, as this money is instead given to management in the form of annual bonuses. As with many consulting firms, a good work-life balance is not support or encouraged and quite often you are expected to work a great deal of overtime. There is very little appreciate or gratitude expressed by management for a job well done, and they are likely to take the credit from the client. There is also little to no job security if you aren't in management. I left on my own terms, however I saw countless people get laid off as soon as things got slow, which was almost every year.

Unfortunately, all of these things, combined with a lack of internal promotion creates a very poor workplace culture. The office environment at the Guelph, Waterloo and Stoney Creek offices is very quiet, and you can expect to not have a lot of positive interaction with others.

My advice for you is that if you are early on in your career, use this as a stepping stone to something better. Take what you can from the experience, but don't get caught up with the empty promises of advancing your career with this company.
Pros
great exposure to different types of work and clients
Cons
poor work-life balance, top heavy management, egotistical managers, poor job security
Main Reception for the Head Office
Head Receptionist and Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2017
I enjoyed working at Stantec immensely. I enjoyed all the people I interacted with. I loved the staff that worked there. I learned how to cross train in other Administration departments. I enjoyed watching how fast a successful company grows and being a small but valued part of that. I learned to multitask in a high stress environment, I learned time management, was able to progress in my abilities and take on my responsibilities, learned to better adapt to change.
Pros
Staff and Clients, the job itself, learning multi-abilities to support administration better
Cons
challenges with parking
GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
good work environment, job and home life balance was really supported.
co-workers were all amazing people great to work with, professional and friendly.
great safety culture
Pros
Great co-workers
OK employer. Large company.
Engineer-in-Training (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2017
Attempts to create fun atmosphere were half baked and not inspiring. Many layoffs during oil and gas slowdown. Not enough company events. Decent pay structure.
No comment
Project Manager Asisstant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 July 2017
Monday - Friday 8:00 - 5:00
Project Management, New software
Management - lack of communication
Was a good place to work prior to take over
Hardest part of job - dealing with different personalities in office
I loved the work as I was always busy
The company and the people were good.
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2017
The work at Stantec was fairly routine compared to other places I have worked. The jobs were also smaller and less challenging. The work life balanced was great. Management was very good at accommodating your schedule when they could.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.