Stantec Consulting Employee Reviews

New Skills and Knowledge
Associate / Senior Acoustical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 February 2018
My tenure here on a contract was relatively brief and did not allow for much time to develop much in the way of new business as was apparently expected by management. Management had a vision but no mission as to developing new business
Pros
New Skills and Knowledge
Cons
Management Inattention
Hung out to Dry
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2018
This was a confusing place to work. I found that I was often told things that were not true, ranging from small to large. An example of a small thing was being told repeatedly that I would be getting two monitors but then that got switched to one. An example of a larger mistruth was being told "there is a lot of work here." One day I showed up to work and they told me I was switching teams and before I knew it I got called into the "big boss" office. He terminated my contract on the spot (harshly) telling me "there is no work here." I felt they could have been nicer to me by being more upfront about things, instead of creating all of this confusion that left me hanging.
Pros
Great pay, nice office, good training
Cons
Confusing place to work, lack of respect
Gangster paradise
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
Terrible, poor & manipulative management with rude behavior. They built cults within the studio groups. If you want to be independent and avoid politics than this company is not for you .

Most people are avoiding studio meetings. The studio directors are great manipulators, with low-ranking manager / supervisor puppets ..

The biggest employee turnover ever..... Based on the company yearly report, last year they hired 100 new staff to compensate on employee loss. And every year its same old story... Generally speaking it takes 1-3 years for new employees to leave the company .
Growth opportunities not available. Often talented individuals are forced to job-hop from one company to another in order to grow in status and compensation..
Work-life imbalance. Due to constant company restructures, you have to work longer hours and weekends just to meet deadlines.
Great environment to gain experience
Materials Tester (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2018
From my experience with this company I was given the opportunity to gain experience not only within the lab but also out in the field. I would recommend Stantec as a good and safe environment to work
Good people, poor salary/benefits
IT Applications (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 January 2018
People are great to work with but salary is low and benefits keep getting scaled back.

Management and leadership is good but doesn't know how to handle poor toxic employees (not many but painful). Management of resources is weak as they try to keep their heads above water. If you are good at something you don't like be prepared to do it for awhile.
Pros
People
Cons
Benefits, salary
Interesting place to work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta22 January 2018
Was hired on with all kinds of promises of advancement opportunities. Statements such as this is a global company so there are relocation opportunities as well were used. Showed up to work Monday morning after a year and was told I no longer was employed. No warning, no explanation.
Pros
Big company
Cons
bad management
stantec
Survey Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2018
A spectacular work environment that was both challenging and engaging. As a survey assistant, not only was I confronted with the challenges of surveying, but it was also necessary to interact with the public in a professional capacity, as some work was done on private residences. A great place to work.
Bad company don't go there
Senior Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
The worst company I have ever worked with. As soon as they lost bids on projects, they started to lay people off and kick them out in a very insulting way.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
bad management
Great company and a great group of diverse professionals
Geotechnical Engineer in Training (EIT) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 January 2018
I had an amazing experience working in Stantec's geotechnical department and would highly recommend any young engineer, fresh out of school to consider Stantec as a start to their engineering careers. The experience gained here in the consulting world was priceless!
Very professional environment
Mechanical Engineering Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2017
Very large office with many nice people. Full of fantastic work resources and information. Heavy emphasis on safe work practice. Sometimes gets very chaotic.

Want to know more about Stantec Consulting?

Ask a question
Worst office environment ever experienced
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 December 2017
The wrong people are in management positions. The expectations are convoluted. Applied and hired for a position and ended up doing something completely different. Very immature and negative group of people, like high school all over again, lots of cattiness and favoritism. There's a very good reason why the talent is jumping ship to the competition and they're constantly posting for employment. Great for entry level and getting experience on your resume but will suck to sole out of you.
Pros
Beautiful new building being built
Cons
Below industry average pay, worst work environment ever worked for
Things went sour
Archaeological Field Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 December 2017
Started out well enough, but the work culture deteriorated during my time there. Ineffective management caused lots of unrest and division amongst the division in which I was working.
Productive and great place to start your career
Pipeline Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2017
Working in project teams and accepting new challenges is great for the career. You get to meet many people from a variety of disciplines. Lots of opportunities to learn from other mentors, during lunch and learns etc. Company events are alright, could be better. Management is excellent, listens and really want you to grow.
Pros
Lots of lunch and learns, excellent management
Cons
Nature of projects and deadlines could mean long hours
Ever expanding company with scope of experiance
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON25 November 2017
Management is supportive to the employees.
There is lot of interaction with different divisions of the company which provided a wide scope for gaining experience in the different field of work the company have to offer.
Could be better
PIPELINE ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2017
Stantec became one of the biggest engineering consulting firms in North America in last decade. They are in competition with the big players now. You will not be disappointed if you work with Stantec however you will feel there is some place for improvement in terms of corporate culture.
Pros
Exciting projects
Cons
Corporate culture does not reflect the size of the company.
Creating Communities
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 November 2017
the people you work with and the creativity that you are permitted make it all worth it. I get to do things that I am good at as well as learn about things that I am interested in
Productive and collaborative working place
Senior Integrity Engineer & Assistant Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 November 2017
Great place to work with development opportunities, great technical team and collaborative environment. Team leaders support employees technical and personal development, and are willing to provide advise when required.
Good to work for
CADD Designer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 November 2017
Worked at Stantec for a short period. The work environment was very friendly. Supervision was strong and provided help and directions. Company systems were strong.
Good People
Transportation Technologist (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 November 2017
Enjoyed working there, and the people I worked with were great and very knowledgable. There was a lot of resources available.

Middle management seemed friendly, but cold hearted at the end, as no job options or retraining was presented.
Pros
Great people and resources
Cons
Sometimes seems like the company is too large.
Excellent benefits
Document Control Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmotnon7 November 2017
Excellent benefits, project based, insecure in times of lack of projects, very good place to work when busy, however management oblivious to clients needs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Stantec Consulting. Our community is ready to answer.