St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital

St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews

patientstaffenvironmentplacemanagementtimeworkinggreat

Rewarding work

Always busy. It's extremely fast paced. The days go by quickly. Management was good. There could he more benefits for part-time. They should also hire more full time employees.

Pros

Lots of employee appreciation from higher ups

Cons

Sometimes a lot of work, part-time need more benefits

Disorganized and full of gossip

Everyone looks after themselves instead of trying to help other departments. The communication between departments is horrendous. There's an insane amount of gossip that happens there which management knows about but does nothing.I wanna know who they paid to get on Canada's top employers list for the year?!?! Everyone I work with complains about their job or staffing allllll day long. It's exhausting working there

Insights into St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks

Great community

Good workplace culture. Handled pandemic very well. Overall management is supportive of staff. Great place to grow in your career, lots of opportunities for career development.

Terrible Environment

Zero support for new grad nurses. They give you no resources and I met with the clinical educator once. No one checks in and there is absolutely no supportive environment for learning and growing in nursing. I was told in orientation this hospital can’t keep RNs and I learned very quickly why. Left as soon as I had something else lined up.

Not a great place to work

Constantly short staffed, but they over hire so there's no hours. Basically need 2 jobs to even survive. Management is horrible. It feels like you're in high-school all over again. For the work you do, the pay isn't equal. Found I worked through many breaks and had a lot of responsibility that I legally wasn't even certified to do. -10 / 10Would not recommend.Also it takes 5+ years to get anything full-time

Pros

You'll find out how well advil works, since you'll have a headache every shift

Great place to work!!! I worked as a floor nurse and always felt supported and valued. Staff work well together and there’s no competition or cattiness. I only left because I moved from the area

Great place to work at

STEGH is a great place to work at, though it may be less busier and smaller than the big city hospitals. I worked for my student medical placement and it was educational and hands-on.

Pros

great work environment and supplies.

Cons

smaller hospital and limited clinic hours

Community hospital is a close community

I have worked at the hospital since 1984 long term employment I enjoy this area and have worked there a long timeOur area deals with the whole family

Pros

Community hospital

Cons

Increasing workloads

I really enjoy working at stegh it’s a smaller hospital with the Acute and chronic

I have learned a lot at stegh I work on acute med so we are very busy and good Assessment skills are a must The whole team works to together to get the patient well and home as soon as possible me

Pros

Small community works together.

productive and challenging overall positive experience

A typical day started at 9 and ended at 5. I learned people skills I learned about chemicals. The management at that time was amazing. The workplace culture was positive The hardest part was witnessing traumas and seeing death. The best part of the job was meeting people from every department and having a team of people willing to help any way they can.

Amazing Place

STEGH has an extremely welcoming environment. The entire organization values employees' health and well-being. Everyone is constantly trying to improve to better serve the community.

great relationships between MD and RNs

Worked there for many years they are the fastest ER in Ontario and team work and communication is a huge priority. Physicians that work in the ER have a respect for all trades in the department and know it is crucial to respect one another to obtain an efficient work environment.

Pros

multiple ! learn the top expectations a nurse should be

Cons

distance was far for me, high acquity, high volumes, may not get breaks

Whein I worked there it was an excellent place to work

Management took care of their staff. A typical day was busy but rewarding. I wasn't tied to a desk all the time. Work culture was busy but friendly staff made the days go by.

Loved working here in transcription department

Unfortunately STEGH as well as other hospitals in the area downsized and outsourced all transcription employees. Very good at training initially. Able to advance and take on more areas within the department.

Pros

Training, wages, hours, work life balance

Cons

Paying for parking. Very competitive.

Don't allow advancement of RPN skills at work. Poor hours and pay compared to London/Toronto. Great staff and patients.

Hospital registered staff were fantastic, everybody from kitchen staff, custodial staff were all really nice patients, and to each other. Management was not terrific. No drama at the work place, and a really good work environment.

Pros

Educated staff, Kitchen to doctoral staff are kind to patients and staff, Patient charts are updated, I regret quitting cause of great patients/staff.

Cons

Zero extended skills for RPN's taught, small morgue, Not enough work hours, Bad night shifts, a skeleton crew made bathroom time impossible d/t only 3 staff.

Excellent experience

I have been a student on placement with STEGH for almost 3 weeks now, and have gained more than ample experience in all fields related to my education. The staff are incredibly knowledgeable, welcoming, and have excellent communication skills. The advancements the hospital is making to better patient care is exciting and really important to our community and I cannot wait to see the finished project.

fun place to work, great food and cafeteria and made alot of friends

Great wage. good place to work and go home and not take your work with you. I worked there for 13 years and never ran into any issues. It was a ncie place to work and very nice community to live in.

Pros

wage

Cons

poisioned work enviroment

Hospital Life

Money is okay for working at a hospital. STEGH is a small hospital, so job requirements are above and beyond what you would normally do at a bigger hospital.

vitals signs, assist with ADL's, bloodwork, documentation, iv med administration, dressing changes, patient teaching, discharge planning, working closely with all members of the healthcare team

Excellent ER Staff

Excellent Management for Central Registry. The Nurses and Doctors in the Emergency Department worked efficiently to assist staff and patients. Interesting, fast paced environment.

Amazing

Great place of employment. I loved working here. Great customer connections as well as employee connections. Nothing but a positive environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement