St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital

St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada34 reviews
I have learned a lot at stegh I work on acute med so we are very busy and good Assessment skills are a must
The whole team works to together to get the patient well and home as soon as possible me
Pros
Small community works together.
A typical day started at 9 and ended at 5. I learned people skills
I learned about chemicals.

The management at that time was amazing.

The workplace culture was positive

The hardest part was witnessing traumas and seeing death.

The best part of the job was meeting people from every department and having a team of people willing to help any way they can.
STEGH has an extremely welcoming environment. The entire organization values employees' health and well-being. Everyone is constantly trying to improve to better serve the community.
Worked there for many years they are the fastest ER in Ontario and team work and communication is a huge priority. Physicians that work in the ER have a respect for all trades in the department and know it is crucial to respect one another to obtain an efficient work environment.
Pros
multiple ! learn the top expectations a nurse should be
Cons
distance was far for me, high acquity, high volumes, may not get breaks
Management took care of their staff.
A typical day was busy but rewarding. I wasn't tied to a desk all the time.

Work culture was busy but friendly staff made the days go by.
Unfortunately STEGH as well as other hospitals in the area downsized and outsourced all transcription employees. Very good at training initially. Able to advance and take on more areas within the department.
Pros
Training, wages, hours, work life balance
Cons
Paying for parking. Very competitive.
Hospital registered staff were fantastic, everybody from kitchen staff, custodial staff were all really nice patients, and to each other. Management was not terrific. No drama at the work place, and a really good work environment.
Pros
Educated staff, Kitchen to doctoral staff are kind to patients and staff, Patient charts are updated, I regret quitting cause of great patients/staff.
Cons
Zero extended skills for RPN's taught, small morgue, Not enough work hours, Bad night shifts, a skeleton crew made bathroom time impossible d/t only 3 staff.
I have been a student on placement with STEGH for almost 3 weeks now, and have gained more than ample experience in all fields related to my education.

The staff are incredibly knowledgeable, welcoming, and have excellent communication skills.

The advancements the hospital is making to better patient care is exciting and really important to our community and I cannot wait to see the finished project.
Great wage. good place to work and go home and not take your work with you. I worked there for 13 years and never ran into any issues. It was a ncie place to work and very nice community to live in.
Pros
wage
Cons
poisioned work enviroment
Money is okay for working at a hospital. STEGH is a small hospital, so job requirements are above and beyond what you would normally do at a bigger hospital.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital?
vitals signs, assist with ADL's, bloodwork, documentation, iv med administration, dressing changes, patient teaching, discharge planning, working closely with all members of the healthcare team
Excellent Management for Central Registry. The Nurses and Doctors in the Emergency Department worked efficiently to assist staff and patients. Interesting, fast paced environment.
Great place of employment. I loved working here. Great customer connections as well as employee connections. Nothing but a positive environment.
I Love taking care of people and make their life better love to teach so people can understand what is happening to them I am always on time can get along with coworkers
Great place to work, staff are pleasant. Gave lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Management style is not the greatest, at times they were intimidating and not approachable.
Every organization has their challenges and STEGH is the same way. It is a great place to work, the people are awesome, the salary/benefits are competitive. You can feel empowered to make change and be part of it without having to go through several layers of management. Management turnover is a concern and that can be frustrating. Overall, I would absolutely recommend STEGH as a place to work.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Management turnover, new CEO
I was made to feel welcome when I was hired. I had a very good team of co-workers who cared about giving quality patient care. I was able to advance within the organization.
Pros
I had an exceptional manager.
Great place to work if you like to be busy. I love interacting with the patients and visitors. Management needs to look at their employees needs more and be more pro-active with the needs of them. There's a lot of micro-managing which causes more tension
I enjoy working at STEGH, but the negativity between staff members and the threat of losing your position due to seniority brings the work culture down.
Pros
Ability to move to different units
Cons
short shifts, negativity throughout staff.
A welcoming environment, great team atmosphere, excellent patient empathy. Wonderful variety of experienced surgeons, doctors, nurses and volunteers. Could offer more of a cafeteria, as it closes at 3, the people who work 3-11 and midnights aren't able to take advantage of being able to buy lunch there.
A modern hospital with the hospitality of a small town. A lot of care and compassion on every level. Many services offered without having to travel to larger hospitals.