St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital Employee Reviews

Whein I worked there it was an excellent place to work
Operations/Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 January 2019
Management took care of their staff.
A typical day was busy but rewarding. I wasn't tied to a desk all the time.
Work culture was busy but friendly staff made the days go by.
Loved working here in transcription department
Medical Secretary/Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON17 December 2017
Unfortunately STEGH as well as other hospitals in the area downsized and outsourced all transcription employees. Very good at training initially. Able to advance and take on more areas within the department.
Pros
Training, wages, hours, work life balance
Cons
Paying for parking. Very competitive.
Don't allow advancement of RPN skills at work. Poor hours and pay compared to London/Toronto. Great staff and patients.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON27 November 2017
Hospital registered staff were fantastic, everybody from kitchen staff, custodial staff were all really nice patients, and to each other. Management was not terrific. No drama at the work place, and a really good work environment.
Pros
Educated staff, Kitchen to doctoral staff are kind to patients and staff, Patient charts are updated, I regret quitting cause of great patients/staff.
Cons
Zero extended skills for RPN's taught, small morgue, Not enough work hours, Bad night shifts, a skeleton crew made bathroom time impossible d/t only 3 staff.
Excellent experience
Medical Laboratory Assistant Technician Student (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON31 October 2017
I have been a student on placement with STEGH for almost 3 weeks now, and have gained more than ample experience in all fields related to my education.

The staff are incredibly knowledgeable, welcoming, and have excellent communication skills.

The advancements the hospital is making to better patient care is exciting and really important to our community and I cannot wait to see the finished project.
fun place to work, great food and cafeteria and made alot of friends
MLA (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON26 September 2017
Great wage. good place to work and go home and not take your work with you. I worked there for 13 years and never ran into any issues. It was a ncie place to work and very nice community to live in.
Pros
wage
Cons
poisioned work enviroment
Hospital Life
Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON31 August 2017
Money is okay for working at a hospital. STEGH is a small hospital, so job requirements are above and beyond what you would normally do at a bigger hospital.
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON11 August 2017
vitals signs, assist with ADL's, bloodwork, documentation, iv med administration, dressing changes, patient teaching, discharge planning, working closely with all members of the healthcare team
Excellent ER Staff
Central Registry (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2017
Excellent Management for Central Registry. The Nurses and Doctors in the Emergency Department worked efficiently to assist staff and patients. Interesting, fast paced environment.
Amazing
Clinical Rotation (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON2 February 2017
Great place of employment. I loved working here. Great customer connections as well as employee connections. Nothing but a positive environment.
My time is over here but it was a great place to work
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  CICIU10 January 2017
I Love taking care of people and make their life better love to teach so people can understand what is happening to them I am always on time can get along with coworkers
Acute med
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON9 December 2016
Great place to work, staff are pleasant. Gave lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Management style is not the greatest, at times they were intimidating and not approachable.
Overall a Great Place to Work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON30 November 2016
Every organization has their challenges and STEGH is the same way. It is a great place to work, the people are awesome, the salary/benefits are competitive. You can feel empowered to make change and be part of it without having to go through several layers of management. Management turnover is a concern and that can be frustrating. Overall, I would absolutely recommend STEGH as a place to work.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Management turnover, new CEO
A good organization to work for.
Senior Polysomnographic Technologist (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON21 November 2016
I was made to feel welcome when I was hired. I had a very good team of co-workers who cared about giving quality patient care. I was able to advance within the organization.
Pros
I had an exceptional manager.
Fun place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON13 October 2016
Great place to work if you like to be busy. I love interacting with the patients and visitors. Management needs to look at their employees needs more and be more pro-active with the needs of them. There's a lot of micro-managing which causes more tension
Negative work culture
Staffing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON17 September 2016
I enjoy working at STEGH, but the negativity between staff members and the threat of losing your position due to seniority brings the work culture down.
Pros
Ability to move to different units
Cons
short shifts, negativity throughout staff.
Great place to work!
PERIOPERATIVE NURSE/OR TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON19 April 2016
A welcoming environment, great team atmosphere, excellent patient empathy. Wonderful variety of experienced surgeons, doctors, nurses and volunteers. Could offer more of a cafeteria, as it closes at 3, the people who work 3-11 and midnights aren't able to take advantage of being able to buy lunch there.
Great facility with small town care
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON16 March 2016
A modern hospital with the hospitality of a small town. A lot of care and compassion on every level. Many services offered without having to travel to larger hospitals.
Acute medicine
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON20 February 2016
A day on the acute medical unit where I currently work is a fast paced environment with constant changes taking place, with admission, discharges, appointments etc. I have learned you must be very organized, set priorities, and be accountable. My co-workers are very helpful and hard working individuals. St. Thomas Elgin General is a small community hospital now presently working on a huge expansion project, which will provide better opportunities for employees and of course continue to provide excellent care.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Long Hours
Love it
employee (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON14 November 2015
Managers are hard to deal with, must always have union rep regardless of context of conversation. Co-workers were amazing, couldn't have asked for better people to work with!er nurses can be a challenge to work with at times but usually are a great group of people? All doctors were fantastic, always answered questions! Housekeeping is your best friend... They go above and beyond!! Can be very stressful but well worth it!
Pros
Make a difference in small community
Cons
Managers disrespectful- no consequences
Very interesting place to work and I've learned a lot about the hospital process.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON18 September 2015
I has been a huge learning curve learning about the hospital procedures. Every one here is really nice and supportive. I have enjoyed the challenge of learning a new job and I am happy to have this experience. Unfortunately, at this time there is not any room for me to advance to a full time position due to the number of qualified staff with more seniority.
Pros
Staff and management very supportive.
Cons
No guaranteed amount of work hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital Reviews by Location