St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

Good position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2018
I worked for three departments and had to run errands and complete projects for all. It was difficult organizing my time and keeping up with 4 bosses.
Cons
Good institution with opportunities for collaborative research
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2018
I work in basic research lab. The work environment is friendly and research facilities are well equipped and available with ample opportunities to learn.
Busy hospital, lots of patients
Surgical Day Care Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Volunteering at St. Michael's Hospital is an effective way to earn volunteer hours and enhance your CV. Staff are friendly and accommodating, and will write you a letter of recommendation.
Very engaging
Medical Office Administration Student (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
Very productive and fun. I learnt knew patient booking skills given the fact that each organization uses a different system. All management and staff are very friendly and helpful which makes the job much easier. Everyone at work is very respectful of other staff as well as clients the work ethic of St. Michael's to make sure that patients are satisfied with the services they receive. The hardest job is when doctors are running behind and you have to deal with angry patients. All in all, there is a fun part when the supervisor brings free coffee.
Integrative work environment
CHIROPRACTIC INTERN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
I learned a lot during my Internship. The staff and faculty were great and the patients were pleasant. The program was set up very nicely and I wished that there were opportunities for practicing Chiropractors.
Very dynamic place
Manager, Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2018
Great company for learning new skills, adjusting to various management styles and trying different roles.
Employee need to be prepared to learn fast, work hard, volunteer for opportunities as they arise, work outside of the comfort zone.
All of the above will allow to progress to new career roles as long as there was demonstrated desire to contribute and a proven ability to learn new skills.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Balancing job and life style
Improving hospital
medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2018
it's ok. Good for people with a life science biomedical background. Processes and systems used are disappointing. Often dysfunctional and disorganized.
Fast paced
Community Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2018
St. Michael's is a fast paced, innovative, and productive place to work. On a typical day the ED sees over 200 clients. We are the second major trauma center in Toronto and the only major trauma center downtown.
Good workplace
Research Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2018
Has good work culture. Hospital management is efficient. Benefits are good but do not include dental. Work security is limited for research jobs as they are funded through grants.
Productive and creative work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2018
A creative environment working on world leading cutting edge research. There are two main building - the clinical and research (Li Ka Shing). You'll find yourself working with some of the best talents around.
Pros
Library, community events, iBEST
Cons
Expensive area to live in
pretty good
Summer Research Student (Former Employee) –  Ontario7 May 2018
I learned alot about pathology and breast cancer
I got to interact with medical residence students
i got to experience new things and learn of other research studies
Pros
free lunch occasionally
nice place to work
Regulated Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Pharmacy18 April 2018
very relaxed depending on manager. If you like structure it may not be the place for you. like any other workplace, it has it positives and negatives
Excellent inner city hospital
Research Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2018
I worked for 3 years as a Research Assistant and Coordinator at St. Mike's. I only left because the funding for my lab had dried up, and I needed to complete a post-graduate degree. I loved working here. Management was kind and effective. I had very similar values to those I worked alongside and our work always felt important.
Pros
Strong ethical values
Cons
Short contracts
SMH Family
Security Coordinator, Security Services (Current Employee) –  30 Bond Street Toronto Ontario16 February 2018
Working at St, Michael's Hospital is like going to your second home, there is a since of family and community.

I've learned to be able to manage multiple things, I've learned the management side of my department and what goes into the day to day running of it which I'm a large part.

The hardest part of the job is learning when to leave the work for another day instead trying to complete everything in one day...which never happens anyway.

The enjoyable part of the job is working with great colleagues that make the day to day stresses easier to manage. Plus all the other good people you see and interact with around the facility.
Productive Workplace
Workplace Wellness and Health Promoter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
A friendly environment with great coworkers. At St. Michael's Hospital you can develop your professional ideas and at the same time learn from the great experience that others workers have.
Great place to work in
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2018
My dream is to work at St. Michael's hospital
Worked as a volunteer. Therefore i did not get paid. My job mainly included date entry and filing client data.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
can be monotonous at times
Trauma Hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
Very busy environment being a downtown level 1 trauma hospital. Lots of learning experiences and many opportunities for professional growth. Close to subway and bus systems.
Productive and fun environment
OTA/PTA Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
Great learning experience with very helpful and supportive staff. learned and refined skills in working in the Occupational therapist assistant and physiotherapist assistant field.
Pros
Supportive staff
Nice Staff, Good Experience
Biomedical and Chemical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2018
Everyone there was very welcoming, and helped me learn the ropes during my first couple of weeks there. Instructions were easy to follow, and supervisors easy to communicate with. I learned a lot about working in a lab.
Learning and teaching Hospital
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario27 December 2017
I was able to learn most of my EVS experiences there. It is one of the busiest hospitals in all of North America and the busiest in Canada.
It is a downtown Toronto Trauma Center where there is an operating type room in the ER department. There is a Heli pad as well as Trauma room that can handle two patients at once. It has an I.C.U. for new born babies and is one of the leading hospitals in the country.
Pros
Never a dull moment will help you learn
Cons
Never a dull moment you never know what you will encounter

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2