St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

Excellent place to practice skills and learn too
Clinical Research Volunteer (Placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2017
I was very happy to do place placement at St Michael's Hospital, it was an excellent place to practice my learnings in the practical field. Supervisors are very cordial. Job cultures are very rich.
Pros
Most reputed place for Clinical Research Related Work
Cons
Sometimes had to work long hours but which is normal for research related work
Hardworking and fun environment
Senior Financial Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 March 2017
Enjoyed my time with this organization. They work hard and play hard. Lots of opportunities within the short time I was there. I would recommend this organization.
Friendly Staff
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
Awesome group of nurses. Best place to be a student nurse. Nurses are encouraging, accommodating & friendly. Helpful staff. Good learning environment.
If you are thinking about st mikes run away far and fast
General Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2017
Don't work here the environment is toxic there is no sense of team if you are looking for a challenging fulfilling career with room for advancement this is not the place
RN (Current Employee) –  NICU4 February 2017
Great benefits
Nice two days on two days off scheduling with alternating weekends
Good team spirit
Everyone is willing to help out, teaching hospital
Fun place to be
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2016
I really like working fore this company. My employee always corrects me in a nice way when i do something wrong. She is very friendly and treats every employee equally.
Pros
friendly
Cons
n/a
Fast paced teaching hospital
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
St. Michael's Hospital is a great place to work. Team work, communication and multitasking is important to get through the day. The staff in my department are easy to work with and are very knowledgeable. Management do their best to continuously support our work and our needs.
Pros
Never a dull moment
Cons
Intense workload
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2016
A typical day in AR department of SMH was very stressful but educational. You learn from patients experiences, colleague and other department. The most enjoyable part - every time you can provide help to patient and colleague solve a problem or situation that arises at the time. The hardest part, when NEW management decided to cut down staff to compensate with new updated system.
Cons
Unappreciated long hours work
With free masssages
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
i work with a some great people it has great benefits
its the easiest place to work
its very enjoyable place to work
management are wonderful
it fun working there
Good environment and friendly staff
Pharmacy Automation Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 November 2016
St. Michael's Hospital has proven to be a hospital where any staff member like myself feel at home while at work. All staff go out of way to help each other and give 100% optimal care to patients.

My co-workers treat me with respect and always willing to help.
Pros
12 hour shifts with having 4 days off
Cons
Very good environment to work in. Lots of support
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
My hours varied because I worked in 3 positions. So it kept work interesting. Learned how to work together as a team. Management was very supportive. My coworkers were amazing, and included doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. Hardest part of the job was traveling to work. I enjoyed learning and it was interesting every day
Pros
Great atmosphere to work in
Cons
Work was not consistant
good hospital to work for
Evidence Synthesis Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Work is interesting. People are great. Has lots of world-renowned scientists and clinicians. Pay is dependent on grants so depends if the department has a lot of funding.
Pros
Great for learning
Cons
inner city hospital
busy environment
Logistics Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
The best part of working at St Mike's is having the opportunity to help people when vulnerable (patients). St. Mike's mission statement proclaims a compassionate environment and I do my best to live by this value at all times.

I also enjoy a very busy and interactive work environment and a hospital setting is great for this.
Productive and multicultural place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 July 2016
Typical day at work is to check all the temperatures, prepare QC's and disinfect benches.
I learned to multitask all the time and be sharp in listening the the environment. The management always have a huddle group every 9 am for 5 minutes to gather all the staffs and give updates if there are problems occur in each department. All the co-workers are friendly, nice and willing to help and to listen if someone has questions. The hardest part of the job is when a staff call sick, and that means double workloads to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone cheering each other and give a few seconds to joke around in the middle of work just to ease the workload tensions in order to boost the energy's atmosphere. It works like magic!
benefits
Cons
short hours
Bad working conditions leading to zero opportunity for advancement
Clinical Pharmacist Inpatient Pharmacy Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2016
Management does not see current employees as possible candidates for advancing there career even with further education completed such as a MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
St. Micheals Hospital
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
St. Micheal's Hospital live up to its values of excellent healthcare and management. When working my placement as a MLA in various labs at St. Micheal's, it gave me a lot of knowledge and professionalism that I would not otherwise have received.
On a typical day I would prepare reagents, accession patient specimens, set up various test procedures, maintain and run the analyzers, ect. The management and staff were exceptional and had extreme detail to all processes. I am thankful for the opportunity to have had my placement at St. Micheal's Hospital.
Productive and friendly work environment
Medical Laboratory Technician, Clinical Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2016
- Perform venipuncture
- Receive,sort, accession and label specimen
- Record patient details into LIS
- Perform urinalysis and centrifuging
- Conduct erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Pros
Friendly Staff
Great and Welcoming Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2016
great pay
good job security
pleasant environement
free lunches
friendly co-workers
good benefits to part time and full time workers
excellent health care, doctors are thorough in work
Pros
free lunches and nice people
Cons
Repetitive and Mindnumbing work for clericals
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
always learning & growing in my career
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2016
St. Michael's Hospital was an exciting place to work and it was an honour to have worked for such a large and well respected medical facility. It is experience that I will be proud of for the rest of my life. The everyday interaction with my colleagues & various medical staff was also a positive one. St. Michael's Hospital was always place that I could learn & grow in my career. The management was always supportive of our ideas & would regularly collaborate with the technicians in making the necessary changes in our everyday job demands.
Pros
good benefits, wages & opportunities.
Cons
at times we could've had more staff. It was quite a busy place at times.