St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

A great place to work
A very multicultural work environment, with friendly staff and good management. Benefits are great and pay is good as well. There’s lots of room to excel and good part time job for students.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement and flexible schedules.
Cons
Takes lots of years to get a full time position
Integrative work environment
I learned a lot during my Internship. The staff and faculty were great and the patients were pleasant. The program was set up very nicely and I wished that there were opportunities for practicing Chiropractors.
Very dynamic place
Great company for learning new skills, adjusting to various management styles and trying different roles.
Employee need to be prepared to learn fast, work hard, volunteer for opportunities as they arise, work outside of the comfort zone.

All of the above will allow to progress to new career roles as long as there was demonstrated desire to contribute and a proven ability to learn new skills.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Balancing job and life style
Improving hospital
it's ok. Good for people with a life science biomedical background. Processes and systems used are disappointing. Often dysfunctional and disorganized.
Fast paced
St. Michael's is a fast paced, innovative, and productive place to work. On a typical day the ED sees over 200 clients. We are the second major trauma center in Toronto and the only major trauma center downtown.
toxic work environment
The pay is more than fair and the benefits are great. The program I worked for was not well respected within the hospital. Staff were treated like factory workers with little to no focus on quality of care being provided. Management and upper management were not focused on staff retention or creating a positive work environment. This is a fantastic setting to learn a vast number of skills while dealing with high risk inner city patients. I would recommend this employer with the disclaimer that there are some units/programs that are less dysfunctional than others.
Pros
challenging patients which allow for skill building, benefits and pay
Cons
poor treatment of staff in some units/programs
really good experience
management was not hands on, very independent work, a bit slow, interesting material, good experience for a science degree, experience inputting data.
Good workplace
Has good work culture. Hospital management is efficient. Benefits are good but do not include dental. Work security is limited for research jobs as they are funded through grants.
Fun place to work
Typical day at work was a 24/7 shift which was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff I worked with. Management and directors were fantastic.
good place
very busy with some slow moments, hectic but it's a plus if you like fast paced type of work, lots of things to do and remember, overall good team, everyone works together well
pretty good
I learned alot about pathology and breast cancer
I got to interact with medical residence students

i got to experience new things and learn of other research studies
Pros
free lunch occasionally
nice place to work
very relaxed depending on manager. If you like structure it may not be the place for you. like any other workplace, it has it positives and negatives
Excellent inner city hospital
I worked for 3 years as a Research Assistant and Coordinator at St. Mike's. I only left because the funding for my lab had dried up, and I needed to complete a post-graduate degree. I loved working here. Management was kind and effective. I had very similar values to those I worked alongside and our work always felt important.
Pros
Strong ethical values
Cons
Short contracts
SMH Family
Working at St, Michael's Hospital is like going to your second home, there is a since of family and community.

I've learned to be able to manage multiple things, I've learned the management side of my department and what goes into the day to day running of it which I'm a large part.

The hardest part of the job is learning when to leave the work for another day instead trying to complete everything in one day...which never happens anyway.

The enjoyable part of the job is working with great colleagues that make the day to day stresses easier to manage. Plus all the other good people you see and interact with around the facility.
productive and very interesting to work with
A cool place and very interesting place to work with.all the staff are very friendly. The managers don't discriminate between individuals. The salaries of all the workers are acceptable.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short hours
Easy to reach on the subway or by car. Nice hospital. Drs and nurses care.
I used to have an amazing fondness for this hospital until I lost my job, which as it turned out, I didn't have to because in the next 12 months they hired others. I lost my job because they re-organized. But they did not help to place me where I wanted to work. Needless to say I am left with a sour taste. Still, I laboured and endured and stayed a year in the unit that they "placed" me. Some people get ahead at SMH. I wanted to advance but couldn't for whatever reason. I did not have any mentorship, so if you want a place to learn and grow this may not be the place for you especially if you do not fit.
Pros
centrally located
Cons
parking is super expensive, lacks mentorship
Great atmosphere exposing you to a great deal in the medical field and workplace.
A typical day in this co-op position required me to assist administrative staff with varying tasks including informing patients about upcoming tests, chaperoning patients to diagnostic testing section, and taking care of paperwork. I learned a lot about the medical field through observation and educational conversation. The culture of St. Michael's Hospital is very welcoming, efficiency oriented, and inclusive. The most difficult part of my job was having to communicate with some patients who did not speak English well or could not be understood easily while speaking. The most enjoyable part of my job was the exposure to various medical tasks and learning about how diagnostic procedures are performed.
Pros
All of the employees are very supportive and hospitable.
Cons
Far distance from where I live.
Medical Model-Recovery Model
Counselling/One/Groups/Therapies;Team Development; Speaking; Conferences; Culture; Training;Skill Development; Research Assistant; Qualitative; Quantitative
Productive workplace
I had the opportunity to learn a lot in the company. Although they have some issues in establishing priorities, the learning atmosphere is amazing and you can acquire a lot of experience.
Productive Workplace
A friendly environment with great coworkers. At St. Michael's Hospital you can develop your professional ideas and at the same time learn from the great experience that others workers have.
Great place to work in
My dream is to work at St. Michael's hospital
Worked as a volunteer. Therefore i did not get paid. My job mainly included date entry and filing client data.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
can be monotonous at times
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2