St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews

A great place to work
A very multicultural work environment, with friendly staff and good management. Benefits are great and pay is good as well. There’s lots of room to excel and good part time job for students.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement and flexible schedules.
Cons
Takes lots of years to get a full time position
Typical work
- Routine data extraction, cleaning and reporting using clinical data system
- Special projects to analyze performance improvement or process change

- Generate yearly performance score cards
Productive fast paced environment
Perfect for those who love a fast paced environment and enjoy keeping busy. I had an amazing experience and would recommend. The Family Health team was fantastic!
Pros
Great deal of independence
Cons
lots of caseloads= quick burnout if not managed correctly
No business acumen, no vision, no respect for the employees working in the procurement department. Employees working in the procurement department have no mark on anything they do, but they robotically execute the direction drawn by the department's management. No appreciation for the hard work, dedication or extra mile offered by the procurement specialists. The leadership of this department should be reshuffled as it's been forgotten in "position" from a long time and became obsolete, toxic, visionless and focused on the development of cliques and not teams.
From the procurement perspective, as long the actual procurement leadership in maintained, the ones who will suffer the most will be the hospital's patients. If the Sisters of St. Joseph (who founded the hospital) in 19th century could come to life, they would twist in their graves to see the dilettantes that run the procurement department and their leadership which has nothing to do with the hospital's vision and mission.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Rigid, no vision, clique oriented procurement management, slow pace environment, no mark on your work
Great Teaching Hospital
SMH helped me learn and grow through my professional development. Working on a TEAM makes a difference to understand in an organization that serves and teaches, has a breadth and alignment to why they are ranked high in World Medicine.
A great place to work for.
I worked for a very short contract position. I found my colleagues to be very fair and supportive. I would have loved to volunteer as a peer support specialist but it is very difficult to get such a position.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Very short contract
Great hospital to work at.
St. Michaels has been my favourite hospital to work at so far as a nursing student. The staff are friendly and helpful and it is a good learning environment!
Has given me a lot of experience and networking abilities
I have been able to learn a lot, make connections and work in a very high intensity environment
They provide opportunities to achieve a work life balance
It can be very busy at times
Leadership is great and makes sure you are assisted when needed

The hours are nice because you do not work nights, weekends or holidays
Hospital life
St. Mike's is a great hospital to work for. They provide quality patient care and do great research. They also provide competitive benefits and salaries to employees. The problem I have is with strict policies and management that has made it very difficult for me to balance my work and life, particularly with the long commute that I can not avoid, as that area of Toronto is a very unsavoury place to live.
Cons
commute
great place to work
friendly environment
easy place to work

Opportunity to grow

team workers

great hours and great staff

management is very approachable

management is always accessible
Good place to learn
Very dynamic environment, great for learning opportunities. The opposite side of the medal - constant rush and little time spend planning and coordinating across various teams.
Constant rush and pressure create toxic environment.
Pros
Leaqrning opportunities for those who is advancing
Cons
Rush, pressure, toxic environment
Great staff to work with
- obtain informed consent of patients for different studies.
- communicate with several patients

- great coworkers and project manager

- busy work environment
Great place
Great culture with staff who care deeply about their patients. The newly integrated network provides opportunity for admin staff to learn about the three different locations and provide value across the sites.
Good position
I worked for three departments and had to run errands and complete projects for all. It was difficult organizing my time and keeping up with 4 bosses.
wonderful
Wonderful place to work. great environment your treated fairly. was very upset to leave but the distance was just too much for me.the staff from the medical staff to the support staff were all a great pleasure to work along side.
Good institution with opportunities for collaborative research
I work in basic research lab. The work environment is friendly and research facilities are well equipped and available with ample opportunities to learn.
This was a positive workplace over many years.
This was a very satisfactory working environment for me, right up until my early retirement in June of 2018.
The staff were long term employees and mutually supportive.

Management was also calm, caring and supportive of myself

and other workers.
Pros
Supportive work environment.
Cons
Emotionally demanding over many years of employment.
fun workplace
reliable place to work at, interact with customers, provide culturally sensitive care to Toronto's diverse population, provide and promote health promotion strategies
Pros
Regular assessments
Cons
Busy hospital, lots of patients
Volunteering at St. Michael's Hospital is an effective way to earn volunteer hours and enhance your CV. Staff are friendly and accommodating, and will write you a letter of recommendation.
Very engaging
Very productive and fun. I learnt knew patient booking skills given the fact that each organization uses a different system. All management and staff are very friendly and helpful which makes the job much easier. Everyone at work is very respectful of other staff as well as clients the work ethic of St. Michael's to make sure that patients are satisfied with the services they receive. The hardest job is when doctors are running behind and you have to deal with angry patients. All in all, there is a fun part when the supervisor brings free coffee.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2