St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Management reviews

A great place to work
A very multicultural work environment, with friendly staff and good management. Benefits are great and pay is good as well. There’s lots of room to excel and good part time job for students.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement and flexible schedules.
Cons
Takes lots of years to get a full time position
Excellent place to work at - family oriented atmosphere
Staff is a pleasure to work with. Hospital setting is excellent. Cafeteria has ample food varieties to choose from. Parking can become challenging at times but actual work environment is very good. Management and Directors are fair and there is ample room for advancement with any position in hospital.
Good Management, Things move slow
Responsive and supportive principle investigator. Upper management are clinicians. Things tend to move on the slower side. Many opportunities for career growth and professional development.
Pros
Good Career Network
Cons
Independent contractor, no benefits
Terrible place for new immigrants
I experienced everything that was bad while working at SMH. A supervisor who shouted at me and bullied me , HR unit who ignored persistent complaints about said supervisor by several staff , a culture of management snobbing and ignoring staff , protracted contracts with no consideration for the staff not being able to access full healthcare, medical and education benefits. An overall horrible experience
No business acumen, no vision, no respect for the employees working in the procurement department. Employees working in the procurement department have no mark on anything they do, but they robotically execute the direction drawn by the department's management. No appreciation for the hard work, dedication or extra mile offered by the procurement specialists. The leadership of this department should be reshuffled as it's been forgotten in "position" from a long time and became obsolete, toxic, visionless and focused on the development of cliques and not teams.
From the procurement perspective, as long the actual procurement leadership in maintained, the ones who will suffer the most will be the hospital's patients. If the Sisters of St. Joseph (who founded the hospital) in 19th century could come to life, they would twist in their graves to see the dilettantes that run the procurement department and their leadership which has nothing to do with the hospital's vision and mission.
Pros
Good location
Cons
Rigid, no vision, clique oriented procurement management, slow pace environment, no mark on your work
Hospital life
St. Mike's is a great hospital to work for. They provide quality patient care and do great research. They also provide competitive benefits and salaries to employees. The problem I have is with strict policies and management that has made it very difficult for me to balance my work and life, particularly with the long commute that I can not avoid, as that area of Toronto is a very unsavoury place to live.
Cons
commute
great place to work
friendly environment
easy place to work

Opportunity to grow

team workers

great hours and great staff

management is very approachable
management is always accessible
This was a positive workplace over many years.
This was a very satisfactory working environment for me, right up until my early retirement in June of 2018.
The staff were long term employees and mutually supportive.

Management was also calm, caring and supportive of myself
and other workers.
Pros
Supportive work environment.
Cons
Emotionally demanding over many years of employment.
Very engaging
Very productive and fun. I learnt knew patient booking skills given the fact that each organization uses a different system. All management and staff are very friendly and helpful which makes the job much easier. Everyone at work is very respectful of other staff as well as clients the work ethic of St. Michael's to make sure that patients are satisfied with the services they receive. The hardest job is when doctors are running behind and you have to deal with angry patients. All in all, there is a fun part when the supervisor brings free coffee.
Very dynamic place
Great company for learning new skills, adjusting to various management styles and trying different roles.
Employee need to be prepared to learn fast, work hard, volunteer for opportunities as they arise, work outside of the comfort zone.

All of the above will allow to progress to new career roles as long as there was demonstrated desire to contribute and a proven ability to learn new skills.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
Balancing job and life style
Improving hospital
it's ok. Good for people with a life science biomedical background. Processes and systems used are disappointing. Often dysfunctional and disorganized.
toxic work environment
The pay is more than fair and the benefits are great. The program I worked for was not well respected within the hospital. Staff were treated like factory workers with little to no focus on quality of care being provided. Management and upper management were not focused on staff retention or creating a positive work environment. This is a fantastic setting to learn a vast number of skills while dealing with high risk inner city patients. I would recommend this employer with the disclaimer that there are some units/programs that are less dysfunctional than others.
Pros
challenging patients which allow for skill building, benefits and pay
Cons
poor treatment of staff in some units/programs
really good experience
management was not hands on, very independent work, a bit slow, interesting material, good experience for a science degree, experience inputting data.
Good workplace
Has good work culture. Hospital management is efficient. Benefits are good but do not include dental. Work security is limited for research jobs as they are funded through grants.
Fun place to work
Typical day at work was a 24/7 shift which was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the staff I worked with. Management and directors were fantastic.
nice place to work
very relaxed depending on manager. If you like structure it may not be the place for you. like any other workplace, it has it positives and negatives
Excellent inner city hospital
I worked for 3 years as a Research Assistant and Coordinator at St. Mike's. I only left because the funding for my lab had dried up, and I needed to complete a post-graduate degree. I loved working here. Management was kind and effective. I had very similar values to those I worked alongside and our work always felt important.
Pros
Strong ethical values
Cons
Short contracts
SMH Family
Working at St, Michael's Hospital is like going to your second home, there is a since of family and community.

I've learned to be able to manage multiple things, I've learned the management side of my department and what goes into the day to day running of it which I'm a large part.

The hardest part of the job is learning when to leave the work for another day instead trying to complete everything in one day...which never happens anyway.

The enjoyable part of the job is working with great colleagues that make the day to day stresses easier to manage. Plus all the other good people you see and interact with around the facility.
Great workplace
Great team work, management is supportive, good benefits and perks. The workplace environment is very motivating. I look forward to coming into work daily.
compassionate and caring workplace
- Typically it's a busy day at work, but with the help of team members and support of staff, the days go by smoothly
- St. Michael's truly follows and stands by its values of compassion, human dignity, excellence, community of service, social responsibility, and pride of achievement

- management works hard to keep a well organized environment
Productive work environment with laid back setting
time management and prioritizing conflicting work schedules to ensure public dollars are utilized in optimal matter and honour hospital construction and goals timleines
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Michael's Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2