St. Michael's Hospital

St. Michael's Hospital Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Easy to reach on the subway or by car. Nice hospital. Drs and nurses care.
RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2018
I used to have an amazing fondness for this hospital until I lost my job, which as it turned out, I didn't have to because in the next 12 months they hired others. I lost my job because they re-organized. But they did not help to place me where I wanted to work. Needless to say I am left with a sour taste. Still, I laboured and endured and stayed a year in the unit that they "placed" me. Some people get ahead at SMH. I wanted to advance but couldn't for whatever reason. I did not have any mentorship, so if you want a place to learn and grow this may not be the place for you especially if you do not fit.
Pros
centrally located
Cons
parking is super expensive, lacks mentorship
Trauma Hospital
RN (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 January 2018
Very busy environment being a downtown level 1 trauma hospital. Lots of learning experiences and many opportunities for professional growth. Close to subway and bus systems.
RN (Current Employee) –  NICU4 February 2017
Great benefits
Nice two days on two days off scheduling with alternating weekends
Good team spirit
Everyone is willing to help out, teaching hospital
Great colleagues and teamwork environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2016
I've worked on an inpatient unit for the past 3 years. My days are busy and hectic at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with my colleagues and feel that they help me get through busy days.
Pros
Strong teamwork
Cons
At times stressful caring for sick patients
Learning environment with growth opportunities and supportive staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2015
A very engaged and supportive work environment. Learning something new in a fast paced and busy work atmosphere. Career development and growth opportunities through various projects. Reimbursement for various workshops, conferences, and education in school. Getting involved in policy making by engaging with management, if needed.
Fun workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 July 2015
I never thought I would be working here, but once I got here and learned the culture of this hospital, everyone is so friendly and its such a great place to work in.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
workload
TNICU (Trauma-Neuro ICU) is poorly managed and dominated by cliquish nurses
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2015
I worked in the TNICU at St. Mike's in 2012. I was only able to work for about 7 months on the night shift before I had to leave. I was treated poorly as a new staff by a group of dominant night nurses. They were not very helpful when I asked for help, nor did they offer help freely. Some of their attitudes were brusque, and just plain rude. They also would talk negatively about other staff at the nursing station or in the staff room, and it led to an unhealthy and uncomfortable atmosphere sometimes. There was a high rate of attrition from the unit when I was there and I would say it was directly due to these nurses. They either liked you and took you under their wing (very few), or disliked you and ignored you, and/or spoke badly about you. Worst of all, management did nothing about their behavior when I finally complained. I worked for a while on the day shift schedule, and although I was treated much better by the staff, the work ethic was very lax and unprofessional as well. Overall, I was very dissatisfied with working at St. Michael's Hospital.
Pros
downtown, teaching hospital
Cons
poor management, prejudice nurses, cliquish nurses, intimidating nurses
Good acute care experience
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 July 2015
This was where I was able to achieve acute care experience as worked on Gen. Surg/GI unit and had other services patients as well. Also had exposure to trauma patients as this hospital was trauma centre for province in 90's.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2015
It is a great hospital to work at. I have worked with the most knowledgable and competent colleagues. I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience working here.
Cons
difficult to balance family and work life
Amazing people to work with.
Staff Hemodialysis Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2014
One of the best Hospitals in Ontario. Excellent Cient/family services, very professional, great work environment!
Great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 June 2013
Busy medical unit provided excellent learning opportunities.
Never had a chance to be bored at work.
Co-workers very supportive.
Pros
12 hour shifts
Cons
12 hour shifts
10-12 years recent and 3 years before that
I have always liked St Mike's. The Nuns gave me my first job in Canada and I never forgot that, I will always be faithful to the institution in spite of the difficult times. For me there was no job security. The front line Staff are amazing to work with. I like that the hospital helps the poor and the disenfranchised. In that way they perpetuate the mission and values established by the Nuns. I like to work there and I like taking care of the population. St. Mike's is not perfect but it is still one of the best places to work in Toronto. It is also one of the best places to go to if you are sick, I know I work everywhere.
Pros
friendly and respectful culture
Cons
no job security or opportunity for advancement
high acuity floor
registered nurse (Current Employee) –  toronto, on28 March 2012
High acuity floor, where i learned excellent time management, stress management, and leadership skills.
Pros
enhanced patients physical, and psychosocial assessment
Cons
long hours, poor work life balance.