St. Mary’s General Hospital

St. Mary’s General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada43 reviews
Love it great team to work with. Feels like family, very understanding management, I walk to work, hours consist, scheduler good.
I highly recommend St Mary Hospital as a place to work.
Smgh
Great hospital to work at, highly trained staff and supportive management. The area’s cardio thoracic center has good programs for patients. A motivating place to work
Above average hospital job
Great place to work, great people and atmosphere. Well run and managed. Friendly staff that provides great patient care. Clean facilities and well maintained.
This place is a very Toxic environment.
Toxic environment. Favoritism, extremely poor management. Pay is good but not when you’re doing the job of three people, because there Daily call in sick rate is extremely high. Which in turn leaves the people who do come in for their shift working twice as hard.
Not like it used to be
Housekeeping manager(s) have their favourite. So they favour them. The manager he favours maintenance staff over the housekeeping staff. The supervisor she can be very rude and nothing gets done about that. SMGH is not like it used to be at all. If you don’t smoke and say hi you get in trouble. Not the best place to work
Cons
Managers are very stuck up and rude
Productive work place
Amazing service, Great staff, down to earth. The focus is always on the patient and patient's safety.
It's like a family, everybody is related, everybody know each other.
great
overall great facility and great experience. very friendly staff, very clean and respectful enviroment. was working as a porter and would like to find something now in my field.
Patient Assistance
This was one of my favorite places to work. I really enjoyed working with the residents there and taking care of them The people that worked there were great
very positive environment to learn a lot
I had a great experience thank to my great teacher who was covering every possible subject by creating a good learning environment to all of us. The nurses was great in helping us get the chance to get all possible learning experience by allowing us in different care which are within our scope of practice.
Excellent Nursing Staff
Helpful nursing staff willing to teach students. As a student, the staff helped me become part of the team, including me in procedures, and allowing me to learn and assist.
The management is under change. It is not what it used to be. Coming under french management, an originally English hospital is stressed at this time. Budget cuts are compromising the quality of care.
Fantastic work atmosphere, fostered friendly environment
The only negatives I have at all to say about SMGH is that it is exceptionally hard to have any job security beyond your current contract. Like very many places, no one is hired to full time and therefore no one gets benefits, without having been in the company for very very many years. That being said, after the contracts expire, I've been told the vast majority are renewed anyway--though only with very part time hours expressed in the contract, if any at all.
Pros
friendly, learning-friendly, goes above and beyond for their patients
Cons
no job security, no benefits
Wonderful supportive team
The managers are supportive and encouraging. The hospital is constantly looking for new ways to improve and be more effective in serving their patients.
The operating room is fun feels like a family
I love working in this hospital. I've worked on every unit and have always felt comfortable with the people I work with. Great patient care, safe environment.
fun workplace
Everyone is always willing to answer your questions you have and is always supportive of each team member. We also had fun joking around with each other lightening the mood in our workplace.
Good place to work not much opportunity for advancement
good place to work on a day to day basis. Not much opportunity for advancement. The staff are great overall to work with on a day to day basis. Salary is great
St. Mary's is an older hospital that has serviced the Kichener area for many years. Staff are fantastic and the Hospital has recently been renovated. It is smaller but does not lack in comparison to Grand River. The location is on the bus route and close to the downtown core of the city making it very accessible for patients.
Pros
Easily accessible
Cons
Very limited parking
Enjoyed my job
I enjoyed working as St Mary's hospital. It's been 6 years I made great friends that I will cherish forever, The doctors are wonderful. The patients are so sweet and a pleasure to work for. I loved going to work everyday hardly missed a day it was pleasant to go to a job I loved. Unfortunately with the cuts I lost my job that i love so much. I will miss my co-worked my boss and mostly the wonderful patients.
Pros
enjoying my job
Cons
because of the cuts I will lose the job I loved
er billing clerk
i loved this position. i left it to go to another department whiich lookking back i never should have done. if i could get a job doing that job in that department, i would finally start feeling normal again.
i have officially retired but if this job was ever offerred to me, i would accept in a heartbeat.
Switchboard Operator
Excellent hospital, super team players, staff are happy and seem to enjoy their work.
I have learned a lot about cardiac care and hospital procedures as well as all the cogs in the wheel that make everything work. I enjoy talking to the patients and helping them with finding loved ones or directing them to where they have appointments.

The management here are wonderful, thoughtful and easy to speak with. My co-workers are wonderful, everyone is cherry and helpful and we get the job done no matter how busy the day or evening is.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the sense of community with the staff and the patients, we are all compassionate individuals with our willingness to make others feel welcome. The hardest part for me is when a loved one passes away and their family are passing by often after hours and are grieving, my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
No enough hours as a part time employee
Great place to work. Commitment to patients and employees from the top all the way down.
Visible and supportive executive team. Caring management. I'm proud to work at St. Mary's.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge that we're all committed to patient safety and wellness every minute of every day.

The hardest part of the job is that there is a constant push to get better at what we do. Sometimes it's hard to prioritize and implement all the great ideas that are encouraged from staff.

The people jump in to support each other every day. I've learned what teamwork truly means through the dedication to a common cause.
Pros
Culture that encourages good ideas for improvement.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary’s General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3