St. Mary’s General Hospital

St. Mary’s General Hospital Employee Reviews

Canada52 reviews

Wonderful staff and excellent care always'

Excellent place to work with good friendly and helpful staff everywhere. 5 star rating by me.I would work here again if I was lucky enough to secure a job.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

..shift work

Great Hospital, Great place to work

I have been here for a while now and I really like it. I am able to learn a great deal more about patient care and continue to build on my skills and experiences. They pay fair and have a good amount of pick-ups available. It's a nice place to work with some really great staff members.

Pros

extra shifts, management support, team work, fair pay

Cons

older client population, food options if you forget your lunch.

Fun work place

Loved working there. Wish I still worked there. Ppl are nice. Worked in all different areas of the hospital. The basement is kind of creepy 😳. Over all great place to work. Pay is good/great. You get overtime.

Pros

Ppl are nice everyone is treated equally pay is great

Great place to work. Can be stressful at times. The only downside is that benefits are not offered to part time staff in a traditional way. Would definitely recommend to a friend.

I enjoyed my 20 years working there

I’m recently retired, worked at St Mary’s for twenty years. Was a great place to work and grow. I have many fond memories. Learned an awful lot, enjoyed my years in the operating room, very interesting indeed. Great people and opportunities. Missing it greatly I must say.

Pros

Free lunches at times

Cons

Short staffed at times

great care given to patienrs

Work-life balanceworking here is better than most care facilities.. however if you do not like 12 hrs shifts don't apply.Pay & benefitsthe benefits are only available if full-time. The pay should be more.. but that is like all pay for PSW we're more hands on with the patients than any other medical worker. That's true of anywhereManagementmost management in the medical field are clueless when it vines to patients.. unless they themselves were a psw or nurse..OverallI love working here.. as normal you deal with people from all walks of life. However most of us respect each other.That's the one thing most places lack is respect for each other.. but professionals work here!

Don't do it

MDRD is the worst place I have ever worked in my life. My co-workers and the supervisor contributed to a toxic work life.While training, I had coworkers? Whom were training me incorrect, would go behind my back to talk garbage about me to the supervisor. You never come out of decontamination unless you were a favorite. Good luck finding someone to stay and enjoy working there.Glad I'm GONE.

Pros

I'm gone

Cons

N/a

Pretty good!

Good place to work. Lots of great staff and lots of fun. Management isn’t super supportive or attentive and you’re lucky to get an email back if you have a concern. Some snotty know it all nurses who take advantage of the clinical aides and want them to do their jobs for them, but majority are very good. Hard to get a permanent position as there as so many temps.

Pros

Patient care is great, lots of great nurses

Cons

Lazy nurses, inability to get permanent position, unsupportive management.

Great Experience with Covid19 pandemic

I came to St. Mary's to help with covid positive patients. I have enjoyed my time and being able to use and teach my skills at well as learn more, has been great. Although some of the colleagues were not so happy to embrace us as agency care workers, we eventually learned and worked well with one another.

Pros

Lots to learn and share

Cons

RN's not so open to use PSW'S to help.

Great experience

Great experience as a new grad RPN. There is teamwork. The manager is willing to listen to the staff and very approachable. I just only hope that they offer more shifts to PT employees than agencies.

Pros

Free snacks sometimes, life and work balance, management

Cons

offer few extra shifts for PT

Love it great team to work with. Feels like family, very understanding management, I walk to work, hours consist, scheduler good. I highly recommend St Mary Hospital as a place to work.

Smgh

Great hospital to work at, highly trained staff and supportive management. The area’s cardio thoracic center has good programs for patients. A motivating place to work

Above average hospital job

Great place to work, great people and atmosphere. Well run and managed. Friendly staff that provides great patient care. Clean facilities and well maintained.

This place is a very Toxic environment.

Toxic environment. Favoritism, extremely poor management. Pay is good but not when you’re doing the job of three people, because there Daily call in sick rate is extremely high. Which in turn leaves the people who do come in for their shift working twice as hard.

Not like it used to be

Housekeeping manager(s) have their favourite. So they favour them. The manager he favours maintenance staff over the housekeeping staff. The supervisor she can be very rude and nothing gets done about that. SMGH is not like it used to be at all. If you don’t smoke and say hi you get in trouble. Not the best place to work

Cons

Managers are very stuck up and rude

Productive work place

Amazing service, Great staff, down to earth. The focus is always on the patient and patient's safety. It's like a family, everybody is related, everybody know each other.

great

overall great facility and great experience. very friendly staff, very clean and respectful enviroment. was working as a porter and would like to find something now in my field.

Patient Assistance

This was one of my favorite places to work. I really enjoyed working with the residents there and taking care of them The people that worked there were great

very positive environment to learn a lot

I had a great experience thank to my great teacher who was covering every possible subject by creating a good learning environment to all of us. The nurses was great in helping us get the chance to get all possible learning experience by allowing us in different care which are within our scope of practice.

Excellent Nursing Staff

Helpful nursing staff willing to teach students. As a student, the staff helped me become part of the team, including me in procedures, and allowing me to learn and assist.

The management is under change. It is not what it used to be. Coming under french management, an originally English hospital is stressed at this time. Budget cuts are compromising the quality of care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary’s General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement