St. Mary’s General Hospital Employee Reviews

great
Porter (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2018
overall great facility and great experience. very friendly staff, very clean and respectful enviroment. was working as a porter and would like to find something now in my field.
Patient Assistance
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON12 July 2018
This was one of my favorite places to work. I really enjoyed working with the residents there and taking care of them The people that worked there were great
very positive environment to learn a lot
Student RPN (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 February 2018
I had a great experience thank to my great teacher who was covering every possible subject by creating a good learning environment to all of us. The nurses was great in helping us get the chance to get all possible learning experience by allowing us in different care which are within our scope of practice.
Excellent Nursing Staff
Student Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON27 January 2018
Helpful nursing staff willing to teach students. As a student, the staff helped me become part of the team, including me in procedures, and allowing me to learn and assist.
Registered Nurse - Full Time (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 November 2017
The management is under change. It is not what it used to be. Coming under french management, an originally English hospital is stressed at this time. Budget cuts are compromising the quality of care.
Fantastic work atmosphere, fostered friendly environment
Medical Laboratory Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 July 2017
The only negatives I have at all to say about SMGH is that it is exceptionally hard to have any job security beyond your current contract. Like very many places, no one is hired to full time and therefore no one gets benefits, without having been in the company for very very many years. That being said, after the contracts expire, I've been told the vast majority are renewed anyway--though only with very part time hours expressed in the contract, if any at all.
Pros
friendly, learning-friendly, goes above and beyond for their patients
Cons
no job security, no benefits
Wonderful supportive team
REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 July 2017
The managers are supportive and encouraging. The hospital is constantly looking for new ways to improve and be more effective in serving their patients.
The operating room is fun feels like a family
Operating Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Camrose, AB10 June 2017
I love working in this hospital. I've worked on every unit and have always felt comfortable with the people I work with. Great patient care, safe environment.
fun workplace
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (MDRD) (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 March 2017
Everyone is always willing to answer your questions you have and is always supportive of each team member. We also had fun joking around with each other lightening the mood in our workplace.
Good place to work not much opportunity for advancement
Cardiac Surgery Coordinator Asst (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON13 January 2017
good place to work on a day to day basis. Not much opportunity for advancement. The staff are great overall to work with on a day to day basis. Salary is great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 September 2016
St. Mary's is an older hospital that has serviced the Kichener area for many years. Staff are fantastic and the Hospital has recently been renovated. It is smaller but does not lack in comparison to Grand River. The location is on the bus route and close to the downtown core of the city making it very accessible for patients.
Pros
Easily accessible
Cons
Very limited parking
Enjoyed my job
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 August 2016
I enjoyed working as St Mary's hospital. It's been 6 years I made great friends that I will cherish forever, The doctors are wonderful. The patients are so sweet and a pleasure to work for. I loved going to work everyday hardly missed a day it was pleasant to go to a job I loved. Unfortunately with the cuts I lost my job that i love so much. I will miss my co-worked my boss and mostly the wonderful patients.
Pros
enjoying my job
Cons
because of the cuts I will lose the job I loved
er billing clerk
cc clerk day alocator and minor treatment (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 August 2016
i loved this position. i left it to go to another department whiich lookking back i never should have done. if i could get a job doing that job in that department, i would finally start feeling normal again.
i have officially retired but if this job was ever offerred to me, i would accept in a heartbeat.
Switchboard Operator
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON19 May 2016
Excellent hospital, super team players, staff are happy and seem to enjoy their work.
I have learned a lot about cardiac care and hospital procedures as well as all the cogs in the wheel that make everything work. I enjoy talking to the patients and helping them with finding loved ones or directing them to where they have appointments.
The management here are wonderful, thoughtful and easy to speak with. My co-workers are wonderful, everyone is cherry and helpful and we get the job done no matter how busy the day or evening is.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is the sense of community with the staff and the patients, we are all compassionate individuals with our willingness to make others feel welcome. The hardest part for me is when a loved one passes away and their family are passing by often after hours and are grieving, my thoughts and prayers are with them.
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
No enough hours as a part time employee
Great place to work. Commitment to patients and employees from the top all the way down.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 May 2016
Visible and supportive executive team. Caring management. I'm proud to work at St. Mary's.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge that we're all committed to patient safety and wellness every minute of every day.
The hardest part of the job is that there is a constant push to get better at what we do. Sometimes it's hard to prioritize and implement all the great ideas that are encouraged from staff.
The people jump in to support each other every day. I've learned what teamwork truly means through the dedication to a common cause.
Pros
Culture that encourages good ideas for improvement.
fun volunteer leadership
summer internship (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2016
a typical day at work is fantastic in the month internship i performed to get my required hours for highschool. The day starts off with friendly greetings from al the staff, and you don't really feel like you are actually performing a job. as for management, i never had communication with management at the hospital.)
Pros
free lunches
Time being at St. Mary's General Hospital
Hospital Elder Life Program (H.E.L.P) Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 February 2016
Staffs and volunteers are great, everyone are very nice and helpful. Staffs are very knowledgable people, they know that they are doing and very kind individuals. Very flexible with student hours for volunteering. Lots of volunteer opportunities in verity departments for students to learn and gain new insights.
Not a happy Place
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB30 January 2016
The staff is great to work with but bullying comes from management and trickles down to a few staff. Even a manager has been bulled into quitting by a staff member,
Pros
Excellent staff and physicians
Cons
Bullying is encouraged from management
good staff good hospital to be a patient in good working experience
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON29 January 2016
Great hospital to work in.....Management is great. working experience excellent.....a typical working day was form 8 am. till 4pm. or later. We collected blood samples and then analyzed them for irregularities. We would then take the completed test results to the floors where the patients were and return to the lab for more of the same all day. We occasionally were called to take out patient blood samples or run to ER. to perform a phlebotomy and return to analyze this sample immediately for the ER department. We worked most of the day in the lab on blood specimens from out or in patients. There was a lot of microscopic work done on blood samples during the day also. There were many frequent requests to run to a specific floor to obtain a blood sample for an immediate assessment. We also took heel blood samples from the babies in the nursery to make sure they were healthy and if not then many more trips to the nursery for more samples from the infant. But most of the day was spent in the lab working on blood samples for various tests specified by the doctors.
Pros
developed a good work ethic of punctuality accuracy and diligence in test performance
Cons
it was wonderful to see a patients results improve over the course of days or weeks.
It was my stage
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 November 2015
I was not paid for this as it was part of my school program.
I got the chance to see how the hospital runs, and how a typical day of a doctors life is.

I called patients for their interview, entered their information in the system, I was left alone for an hour in the front desk of the doctors office just to test how ill deal with the incoming patients.

it was a delicate environment to work in as I was working in the neurology department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Mary’s General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4