St. Mary’s General Hospital

St. Mary’s General Hospital Employee Reviews

Work-life balanceworking here is better than most care facilities.. however if you do not like 12 hrs shifts don't apply.Pay & benefitsthe benefits are only available if full-time. The pay should be more.. but that is like all pay for PSW we're more hands on with the patients than any other medical worker. That's true of anywhereManagementmost management in the medical field are clueless when it vines to patients.. unless they themselves were a psw or nurse..OverallI love working here.. as normal you deal with people from all walks of life. However most of us respect each other.That's the one thing most places lack is respect for each other.. but professionals work here!
MDRD is the worst place I have ever worked in my life. My co-workers and the supervisor contributed to a toxic work life.While training, I had coworkers? Whom were training me incorrect, would go behind my back to talk garbage about me to the supervisor. You never come out of decontamination unless you were a favorite. Good luck finding someone to stay and enjoy working there.Glad I'm GONE.
Pros
I'm gone
Cons
N/a
Good place to work. Lots of great staff and lots of fun. Management isn’t super supportive or attentive and you’re lucky to get an email back if you have a concern. Some snotty know it all nurses who take advantage of the clinical aides and want them to do their jobs for them, but majority are very good. Hard to get a permanent position as there as so many temps.
Pros
Patient care is great, lots of great nurses
Cons
Lazy nurses, inability to get permanent position, unsupportive management.
I came to St. Mary's to help with covid positive patients. I have enjoyed my time and being able to use and teach my skills at well as learn more, has been great. Although some of the colleagues were not so happy to embrace us as agency care workers, we eventually learned and worked well with one another.
Pros
Lots to learn and share
Cons
RN's not so open to use PSW'S to help.
Great experience as a new grad RPN. There is teamwork. The manager is willing to listen to the staff and very approachable. I just only hope that they offer more shifts to PT employees than agencies.
Pros
Free snacks sometimes, life and work balance, management
Cons
offer few extra shifts for PT
Love it great team to work with. Feels like family, very understanding management, I walk to work, hours consist, scheduler good. I highly recommend St Mary Hospital as a place to work.
Great hospital to work at, highly trained staff and supportive management. The area’s cardio thoracic center has good programs for patients. A motivating place to work
Great place to work, great people and atmosphere. Well run and managed. Friendly staff that provides great patient care. Clean facilities and well maintained.
Toxic environment. Favoritism, extremely poor management. Pay is good but not when you’re doing the job of three people, because there Daily call in sick rate is extremely high. Which in turn leaves the people who do come in for their shift working twice as hard.
Housekeeping manager(s) have their favourite. So they favour them. The manager he favours maintenance staff over the housekeeping staff. The supervisor she can be very rude and nothing gets done about that. SMGH is not like it used to be at all. If you don’t smoke and say hi you get in trouble. Not the best place to work
Cons
Managers are very stuck up and rude
Amazing service, Great staff, down to earth. The focus is always on the patient and patient's safety. It's like a family, everybody is related, everybody know each other.
overall great facility and great experience. very friendly staff, very clean and respectful enviroment. was working as a porter and would like to find something now in my field.
This was one of my favorite places to work. I really enjoyed working with the residents there and taking care of them The people that worked there were great
I had a great experience thank to my great teacher who was covering every possible subject by creating a good learning environment to all of us. The nurses was great in helping us get the chance to get all possible learning experience by allowing us in different care which are within our scope of practice.
Helpful nursing staff willing to teach students. As a student, the staff helped me become part of the team, including me in procedures, and allowing me to learn and assist.
The management is under change. It is not what it used to be. Coming under french management, an originally English hospital is stressed at this time. Budget cuts are compromising the quality of care.
The only negatives I have at all to say about SMGH is that it is exceptionally hard to have any job security beyond your current contract. Like very many places, no one is hired to full time and therefore no one gets benefits, without having been in the company for very very many years. That being said, after the contracts expire, I've been told the vast majority are renewed anyway--though only with very part time hours expressed in the contract, if any at all.
Pros
friendly, learning-friendly, goes above and beyond for their patients
Cons
no job security, no benefits
The managers are supportive and encouraging. The hospital is constantly looking for new ways to improve and be more effective in serving their patients.
I love working in this hospital. I've worked on every unit and have always felt comfortable with the people I work with. Great patient care, safe environment.
Everyone is always willing to answer your questions you have and is always supportive of each team member. We also had fun joking around with each other lightening the mood in our workplace.
good place to work on a day to day basis. Not much opportunity for advancement. The staff are great overall to work with on a day to day basis. Salary is great