ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE

ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE: 66 Employee Reviews

Canada66 reviews

Great place for a student to work.

The school is required to work around your schedule if you are a student so it takes a lot of stress off during the semester. They can only give you about twelve hours per week due to their collective agreement, but it works out depending on how intensive your program is. Overall, great place to work if you are a student.

Even though I had a seasonal job, my experience was really good.

I worked at the St Lawrence College for 5 years in a row, and even though my job position was seasonal, I had a good experience as a teacher. The payment was fair enough and the coworkers, the secretary, etc., were very collaborative.

Insights into ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great supportive environment

Great place to work and teach at, very progressive learning institution and a very healthy environment in all ways. As a part time faculty I am supported in my own development as an instructor and feel very welcomed

Only a good company if on Kingston Campus

Poor management. Little job security for most employees . Good caring coworkers who succeed in spite of the organisation, not because of it. Unrealistic expectations and definitely don't be good at your job- you will have to do everyone else's- including your manager's. No support. No resources for doing your job properly. High turn over and burn out rate. "Students first" only applies to Kingston Campus.

Pros

Good people work there who truly care about students

Cons

Management is horrible. HORRIBLE. Unless you are applying for Kingston Campus, don't. ..like...run now.

Excellent workplace overall.

Management was supportive and provided excellent opportunities for personal development and advancement. Most colleagues were wonderful; many chances for collaboration.

Pros

Freedom to be creative.

Cons

Long hours.

At St. Lawrence college the working environment was very acceptable and it had all the three dimensions of EDI covered at workplace.

The working environment with the WICE team was very warm and professional. As being a student jumping from student environment to workplace environment the transition has always been difficult. I had many things to learn as how to overcome my mistakes and how not to make or repeat the same mistake.

Very high turnover

Very high staff turnover. Management played favorites. Demanded loyalty but did not return it. Lack of communication between staff and management. During busy times management hid in the office, rarely helped out. Micromanagement of pennies while dollars were wasted.

Pros

Good hours with seniority

Cons

expected to be available anytime with no notice

Creative, productive and a pleasant work place

A pleasant environment to work at, with available opportunities of self development. If a teacher manages his/her time a bit carefully, one can have ample oppertunity of establishing healthy interaction with the students, which may prove very supportive in improving students leaning capabilities

Pros

Lecture rooms equipped with necessary tools and equipments

Cons

Access to the needed software requires to be more easily available

Orientation & Event Planner SLC

Student position while I was attending college. Amazing experience ! Tons of support from professors and staff. Collaboration with HR support staff, Prof.Armstrong (SIFE SLC) Prof. Decarie (Awareness/Orientation) Dean.Conrad (Business office) Integration/Orientation. Fantastic learning environment ! Highly recommend taking advantage of the student opportunities SL College creates for their future leaders!

Great caring College

My experience as a part time instructor has been very positive. The staff is very supportive and truly care about the students and instructors. Great facility in Cornwall.

great place to work part time

a typical day at work would look like, you get there, you are greeted by lovely staff and you proceed to check in and out books and follow any other assigned tasks such as shelf reading. the most difficult park would be knowing how the printers worked and all of the printer functions.

productive

It is a great place to work, I would recommend working there. They are very accommodating to my school schedule and there are friendly people to work with

Friendly Environment

I had my placement at St. Lawrence, during that time I have learned a lot as the staff were understanding, friendly and supportive, the workplace culture is amazing

productive but stressful

as a student, we of course did not get paid but professors tended to be very 'clique' like and would pick which students they liked and which ones they did not. Many are treated unfairly in the nursing program.

I work on my own pace and the head of the departments are very helpful.

I work as a peer tutor and a note taker for the College. The students and the teachers pick me to do the job, I have not applied to do it. It made me acknowledge my own strength and trust in my ability by having the students and instructors nominate me to do the job. I thank the students and the instructors for believing in me.

Fun environment

This was a volunteer position that allowed me to try teaching and hang with my profs. It was not difficult, the coordinators had everything set out and ready for demonstrations.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Kids don't listen

Excellent Work Environment

Fulfilling job in a fantastic work environment. Great co-workers and management. Able to receive the experience I was looking for and then some. Would highly recommend.

Pros

Dynamic Experience

Cons

Cant think of any

Review of SLC

Great company to work for, I would definitely apply again! The students and staff I worked with were incredible! I would recommend this program and this job to anybody seeking!

I liked it

It was great working at St. Lawrence College. Especially as a student, they worked around my class schedule. My manager was thoughtful, kind and easy to talk to whenever there was an emergency.

Positive Environment

Love working here, they balance my school and work schedule very well. Great co-workers, and state of the art technology to help further your experience.

Pros

Positive co-workers

Cons

Sometimes is boring

Productive, innovative

Small town campus feel, more intimate learning setting. Supportive community, lots of opportunities for career growth and experiences. Not as many courses offered.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ST. LAWRENCE COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement