St. Joseph Communications Employee Reviews

Run while you still can,,its a total hole
Press (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON30 May 2018
People in management are family and dont care about u,, they blow sunshine up your hoop. Save yourself the headache and run, someone ready to stab you in the back asap
Cons
If you have low expectation this is the place for you
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2018
Work here only if you have no where else to go and if you leave forget that you ever worked there. Just about anywhere else you will feel like you belong to a company. An employee retired from there after about 8 years of dedicated service and no one showed up to wish them well.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No raise for 10 years
find somewhere else
Management (Former Employee) –  Toronto Print Campus17 February 2018
If you need a job while looking for something better, then this is the place for you.
What you start at is what you will finish at so negotiate high . In my job the pay was good , however they worked me to death with no support and allot of promises that won't come true.
The owners are all about themselves and could care less about the employees.
There are lots of great people working there, that want out ,but printing is a dying trade with no where to go.
Pros
free coffee / tea
Cons
low pay, no raises, no pension, poor benefits you pay
Office Professional
Client Relations/Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON6 February 2018
Worst company I've ever worked for. Culture is the most unprofessional/profane and biased. Hard to believe they can turn a profit. Mgmt couldn't manage a bowl of goldfish.

Comment – 8 February 2018

Company is all family in all the upper mgmt roles, there are sisters/brothers/ nieces/nephews/grandchildren, cousins/ wives & husbands of every family member working there, you'll never get a raise, we were given a mandatory 5% decrease in pay for a year with 2 weeks unpaid vacation!! They will lay you off by telephone and don't have the guts to do it face to face... Lot of in house fighting between departments, no one really get's along.... to try to put a job thru production is a nightmare. In house work rules only pertain to certain groups or individuals, zero tolerance doesn't exist...

Easy Internship
Photography assistant (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 August 2017
I did a two week internship for the creative photography program at humber college. Everyone was, friendly and helpful. They are very familiar with the program and filled out all the needed forms.
was good in the past
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2017
The company was hit hard by the decline in Sears print advertising. Was a great place to work many years ago but has been getting tough, hope they can pull it together and make it a fun place to work again.
Pros
some good people there
Cons
layoffs, no job security
Great work schedule for family man
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON21 June 2017
Great place to work, low pressure work environment. No fluff, just keep the machines running and they leave you alone. 3 twelve-hour work days per week, day and night rotation. Once per month you get a 7 day stretch off!!! Nice people to work with, no conflict at all. Nice, climate controlled building. Shop equipment is dated, however. Overall, a very nice place to work.
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
no benefits or pension plan
Productive and fun workplace
Forklift Operator - Warehouse Keeper - Ability (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON2 June 2016
Fun and easy work place but salary is not enough to make a living that's why I think its time for me to move on and share my skills somewhere else Im needed to be
Nope...
Materials Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Concord, ON7 March 2016
If you're even thinking about it, don't. The only advancement here comes if you marry within the company. Nepotism is king. Everyone else is underpaid, under-appreciated & under-valued.
Pros
None that come to mind
Cons
Lots of them
Family owned with lots of infighting, good people with big hearts but unable to manage effectively
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2015
Family owned business operating a large national print and media company. Three brothers manage the primary operations and a few brothers and sisters play other roles in the company. Lots of family working there through senior managers and sales. EVP of sales has his whole family working there as senior managers.

Operations are well run with good quality product and good staff.

Owners have done well for themselves and are not hurting financially, but they have not given any raises or bonuses in at least a dozen years on the print side. They have stopped any pension plan and have reduced other benefits throughout the organization.

I would not recommend that you leave another job to come work on the print side. I hear good things about Content and Magazines side of the business with good people managing it.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Lack of decision making and proper equipment.
Art Director, Manager, Creative Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2014
I enjoyed the work at St. Joseph's.
I gained more retail experience in this position.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Tough Client
Productive and stimulating workplace.
Executive Assistant to the CEO (contract) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2014
A typical day at work for St. Joseph Communications, Media Group involves booking meetings, flights and other services. On any given day, I will be asked to assist the finance department with various projects. I also act as office manager, typically re-stocking any office supplies and up-keeping cleanliness and appearance around the office. I have learned about magazine publications and the busy/demanding schedule that ensues with this type of company. I have learned that working for a well established company is extremely rewarding. My co-workers and I have common goals and always have my best interest in mind. I have made many friends within the office as it is a friendly and welcoming environment. The hardest part of the job is being able to properly multi-task while producing quality results. None the less, with hard work this is easily achievable. The most enjoyable part of the job is management. They treat all employee's with respect and provide positive feedback often.
Pros
Free lunches, flexibility with hours, understanding, fun work environment, friendly people, beautiful building
Cons
location (if you do not live in the downtown Toronto core)
Great people to work with, satisfaction meeting deadlines.
Site Supervisor/Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 February 2014
Most difficult part of my job was working with outdated equipment and software. Most satisfying part was meeting our clients' needs above their expectations.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers
Cons
No remuneration
Pay rate is not the greatest, its hard to survive working on low income.
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 November 2013
The company can do better in certain areas. There needs to be more management employee interaction .
Pros
There no pro's
Cons
Low salary
Family owned and you don't forget it
account director (Former Employee) –  toronto, on30 September 2013
The day you're hired you think this is amazing. I'll work hard, advance and make great money. You work hard but mostly at battling internally to get the actual job done. Everyone wants to save themselves as layoffs are almost monthly in the content division. President of that division's son, SIL and the VP's niece work there and one of them is the head of sales. She alone is a labor lawyer's dream and the company's lawyer's nightmare.
Pros
decent benefits and great work/life
Cons
just about everything else
An ok company to work for.
Print Coordinator (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario25 June 2013
Normal day at work
Learn to do Billing and brokeage
Management is ok sometimes
Great staffing
Telephone and Processing Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2013
St Joseph is a great place to work while you're in school only because there's no advancement career wise.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no career advance