St. Joseph's Hospital

St. Joseph's Hospital Work-life balance reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & benefits

I am having a wonderful experiences

Working for stjoes is so much fun, so many new things, I worked over six years in nursing home, and I am so happy that I decided to quit and look for something better, and I found it

Helping people made me feel like I was able to give back

I engaged in patient transfer from the main doors to the Dialysis room. Talking and learning to engage with mostly elderly people helped to really engage my compassion and willingness to care for others. The hardest part was when a regular would no longer show up. But knowing that I had at some point put a smile on their face from out small 2 minute conversations made me feel like i had an impact in making their life better, even if it was just for a little bit.

great

great place to work. great office. management is great. great entry level position with room for advancement. great incentives to reach target. flexible hours.

Busy, fast pace, high energy.

You'd get there and be given report to help prepare you for your shift. I learned how well I work on my own as well as in groups with different individuals on a daily basis. I was able to manage my time well once I had a routine of my own. Overall my coworkers were friendly and approachable. Hardest part of my job was when I had to help families through the tough process/experience of losing their loved one. I have had to help the funeral homes in my area place the bodies of many of the residents I have taken care of over the last two years. You are told not to get attached to these people, and as much as you don't think you are it always sneaks up on you how much they made you happy to be at work. They were the reason I kept going back to work. I was there to help them, and it made me feel good about myself and felt accomplished. The most enjoyable part was spending time with the residents when I could and had a true conversation with them, as though they were my own family. I sat there and genuinely listened to their concerns or their life story. You learn so much more about the person you are taking care of when you simply take a few minutes of your day to just sit with them. You may think you don't have time to do this but there is always time.

Pros

Friendly residents

Cons

Too much gossip among coworkers. Made me uncomfortable and unwelcome, and did not feel comfortable opening up to my colleagues regarding personal matters.

Was a great place to start my management career in healthcare

A well respected Hamilton acute care hospital offering an array of inpatient and out patient programs with a devotion to those who were under priviledged in our community.

Pros

Exceptional patient care programs

Cons

no room for career growth.

I enjoyed starting my career here

I enjoyed starting my career here. I worked in a busy and fast paced unit. There were many opportunities to learn and grow. Worked with really great colleagues.

Enjoyable place to work.

A typical day at work was always busy, but organized. This is where I learned all of my nursing skills. Management and co-workers were very supportive and just full information that was very helpful in honing in on my nursing skills. The most enjoyable part of my position there was meeting the family members and loved ones of the client and, as you are aware, palliative care is as individual as the client them selves, so, over time, you really get to know the client and family. The hardest part of this position was the long hours.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at St. Joseph's Hospital?