St. Joseph's Hospital

St. Joseph's Hospital Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

The place has good managment and workplace culture.The deversity of nursing assigments are good learning ground if you are willing to work across diffrent areas.
Pros
security and work culture
Cons
patient visitors should be better monitored. patients are aloud to have as many visitors as they want with no restrictions in the emergency department. there is no organisation with regard to patient visitors. they are not given visitor badges which makes it unsafe when dealing with mental health patients. eg. patient in MHESU can have a visitor and leave without notice if a security officer opens the door, if they were identified as a visitor, staff would feel more confident that they didn't lose a patient. some patients can be easily lost in the system as patients are transferred from area to area with little to no documentation. nurses are required to document transfer of care however a lot of staff neglect to document such. physicians and staff are pretty good at keeping the work place clean and organised however the sharps containers are often filled to the point of safety concerns. it's up to the nurse to change the bins and up to the nurse to stock supplies as there is no one in place to do so(gloves, medication and iv supplies on weekends)
Pros
great staff
Cons
the scheduling is on paper and not well managed
typical day, very fast-paced, acute, and busy, but very friendly staff, good atmosphere between multi-disciplinary team members, excellent cohesion and collaboration.
I enjoyed starting my career here. I worked in a busy and fast paced unit. There were many opportunities to learn and grow. Worked with really great colleagues.
On a typical day at work , I show up at least 15 minutes before time to check my assignments, go through my kardex and prioritize what has to be done for the day . I learned how to keep information confidential, how to be a team player and the ups and downs of the job and how to adapt positively. My co -workers have been exceptionally helpful, the hardest part of the job to me is calling a family to inform them about a love one's passing. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your patients get back to their normal adl's.