St. Joseph's Hospital
St. Joseph's Hospital Employee Review

Busy, fast pace, high energy.

21 January 2017
You'd get there and be given report to help prepare you for your shift. I learned how well I work on my own as well as in groups with different individuals on a daily basis. I was able to manage my time well once I had a routine of my own. Overall my coworkers were friendly and approachable. Hardest part of my job was when I had to help families through the tough process/experience of losing their loved one. I have had to help the funeral homes in my area place the bodies of many of the residents I have taken care of over the last two years. You are told not to get attached to these people, and as much as you don't think you are it always sneaks up on you how much they made you happy to be at work. They were the reason I kept going back to work. I was there to help them, and it made me feel good about myself and felt accomplished. The most enjoyable part was spending time with the residents when I could and had a true conversation with them, as though they were my own family. I sat there and genuinely listened to their concerns or their life story. You learn so much more about the person you are taking care of when you simply take a few minutes of your day to just sit with them. You may think you don't have time to do this but there is always time.
4.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Too much gossip among coworkers. Made me uncomfortable and unwelcome, and did not feel comfortable opening up to my colleagues regarding personal matters.
16 May 2020
Nephrology Unit - RPN Practicum (Former Employee) - Hamilton, ON
Good nursing practice on an in-patient nephrology unit. Staff is knowledgable and easy to get along with. Very good opportunity to practice a variety of nursing skills.
4 March 2020
USSP (Current Employee) - Hamilton, ON
an ok place to work, fast paced...good people to work with, union, good pay and a well known hospital with excellent doctors. Close to everything, excellent emerg
3 March 2020
Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) - Hamilton, ON
The lab is full of friendly people to work with and very knowledgable individuals whom you get to learn a lot from. The environment is positive and not distracting so everyone is fairly productive.
  1. Busy, fast pace, high energy.