St. Joseph's Hospital

St. Joseph's Hospital Employee Reviews

Good nursing practice on an in-patient nephrology unit. Staff is knowledgable and easy to get along with. Very good opportunity to practice a variety of nursing skills.
an ok place to work, fast paced...good people to work with, union, good pay and a well known hospital with excellent doctors. Close to everything, excellent emerg
The lab is full of friendly people to work with and very knowledgable individuals whom you get to learn a lot from. The environment is positive and not distracting so everyone is fairly productive.
Unqualified management, punitive work environment, devaluing of employees, high stress atmosphere, top heavy management structure, poor job security especially for part timers, pay rate lower than most hospitals. Massive budget shortages resulting in job losses for front line staff while not a single manager or director lost their job. Possibly one of the worst job experiences I’ve ever had.
it was really great experience, and I would definitely work there again. I recommend it to others looking for a research opportunity especially to young high school students.
helpful position directing visitors and patients to rooms and sections of the hospital. Nurses were nice and made volunteering a nice experience and a fun one
I had one department with all the best nurses but in another it was a totally different story. Nurses are in union, do as little as possible and are catty with staff and each other. If the department is heavy on "team" mentality this is usually much better. It just depends on where you are in hospital.
Overall satisfied with the outpatient rehabilitation department. Great team environment as well as great management. Only downside is the Paroll department. They take too long to respond and certain things do not get done properly.
great place to work. people were very friendly.--- job was interesting but stressful.--------------- didn't like having to pay for parking.-----------
Like any workplace, the environment can get tense. I worked at the West 5th campus, and my co-workers were not great to say the least. Very tense place to work, the only up side of it was the patients who welcome you like family. That being said, a lot of the administrative staff is amazing and welcoming. It's mostly the medical staff that are horrid and entitled (doctors, nurses, occupational therapists). Management basically has control of nothing, they're all run by the people above them. I felt terror before every day working here. Good luck with this place.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at St. Joseph's Hospital?
The place has good managment and workplace culture.The deversity of nursing assigments are good learning ground if you are willing to work across diffrent areas.
Pros
security and work culture
Cons
I engaged in patient transfer from the main doors to the Dialysis room. Talking and learning to engage with mostly elderly people helped to really engage my compassion and willingness to care for others. The hardest part was when a regular would no longer show up. But knowing that I had at some point put a smile on their face from out small 2 minute conversations made me feel like i had an impact in making their life better, even if it was just for a little bit.
great place to work. great office. management is great. great entry level position with room for advancement. great incentives to reach target. flexible hours.
Take a minute to review HLA IMAGING INC - Humber River Hospital. About your reviews: NEVER included with your job applications Posted anonymously on Indeed
patient visitors should be better monitored. patients are aloud to have as many visitors as they want with no restrictions in the emergency department. there is no organisation with regard to patient visitors. they are not given visitor badges which makes it unsafe when dealing with mental health patients. eg. patient in MHESU can have a visitor and leave without notice if a security officer opens the door, if they were identified as a visitor, staff would feel more confident that they didn't lose a patient. some patients can be easily lost in the system as patients are transferred from area to area with little to no documentation. nurses are required to document transfer of care however a lot of staff neglect to document such. physicians and staff are pretty good at keeping the work place clean and organised however the sharps containers are often filled to the point of safety concerns. it's up to the nurse to change the bins and up to the nurse to stock supplies as there is no one in place to do so(gloves, medication and iv supplies on weekends)
Pros
great staff
Cons
the scheduling is on paper and not well managed
not much to say, worst place i have ever worked. poor management rude and abusive staff no team work over worked just bad i do not have anything else to say
Pros
no pros
Cons
language barriers...staff speaking native language, which is not allowed
enjoyed working within the interdisciplinary team setting. Was excellent to get feedback from the different disciplines
This was my placement hospital and I really enjoyed working there. I learned the ropes about being a professional in society and I am better for it today.
typical day, very fast-paced, acute, and busy, but very friendly staff, good atmosphere between multi-disciplinary team members, excellent cohesion and collaboration.
You'd get there and be given report to help prepare you for your shift. I learned how well I work on my own as well as in groups with different individuals on a daily basis. I was able to manage my time well once I had a routine of my own. Overall my coworkers were friendly and approachable. Hardest part of my job was when I had to help families through the tough process/experience of losing their loved one. I have had to help the funeral homes in my area place the bodies of many of the residents I have taken care of over the last two years. You are told not to get attached to these people, and as much as you don't think you are it always sneaks up on you how much they made you happy to be at work. They were the reason I kept going back to work. I was there to help them, and it made me feel good about myself and felt accomplished. The most enjoyable part was spending time with the residents when I could and had a true conversation with them, as though they were my own family. I sat there and genuinely listened to their concerns or their life story. You learn so much more about the person you are taking care of when you simply take a few minutes of your day to just sit with them. You may think you don't have time to do this but there is always time.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Too much gossip among coworkers. Made me uncomfortable and unwelcome, and did not feel comfortable opening up to my colleagues regarding personal matters.
I worked in a fast paced urgent care center with patient turnover of over 100 patients per day. Some of the common medical issues seen were wound care and skin infections, oncological and immunological issues, pregnancy issues, cardiac issues with ECG, respiratory issues requiring oxygen therapy, stroke, fractures, ocular and retinal issues, and pediatric care. Treated a wide age range of patients from newborn to elderly. I performed administrative duties including triaging and discharging patients. I assisted in a variety of non-invasive surgeries including reduction, wound suction, and casting. I administered medications as required. A main task was providing health education to patients. My preceptors were very supportive of me and very focused of my learning. The hardest part was being exposed to some cases I wasn't familiar with but I was very lucky to work with experienced nurses. They were very easy to approach and very helpful. The most enjoyable part was being exposed to variety of nursing issues; I always come home with new skills!