St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton

St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Employee Reviews

Good learning place

A place where you can learn a lot of stuff, Working hours are not bad, No pressure of work by Management. A pension Plan is nice but a lot of deduction from your paycheque.Parking is expensive.Benefits are expensive too

Pros

Work/Life balance

Cons

less Salary lot of deductions

Never a dull moment

I started as a food service worker, then transferred to porter while I studied for Medical Device Reprocessing technician. My supervisors scheduled my shifts around my schooling and I was placed in my hospital for clinical placement. I was offered part time hours in my field, two months after receiving my certification and full time within six months.

Pros

on going education

Cons

Rotating shifts

This company in particular home care/ICC are a bunch of old nurses not letting go of past and have no interest in helping anyone but them selves

Management is ignorant to team buildingHR policies and human rights ignoredFair team management not in place so toxic culture is in fluid.no conflict resolutioncommunication was a messpatients were the best.

Pros

ability to be caring

Cons

toxic managers and supervisors that perpetuate the issues.

stressful, fast paced,

stressful, fast paced, management is poor, worked for the patients and seeing them go home was worth the effort. The pay and the benefitd, and pension is fair for the job.

Great colleagues mostly, in a difficult environment. Takes its toll on you over time

Upper management are not interested in what the front- line workers have to say with respect to Health and Safety concerns. They promote yes people and persecute/ harass those who are very passionate and vocal about issues. Accreditation years are the worst; everything becomes new with spending money to pretty the environment so it looks good for when the team comes.

Great training & staff

I loved my time at SJHH. I had an amazing supervisor who fostered growth and championed me for the duration of my career. I found staff were extremely bright and dedicated to their roles. While it was stressful at times, especially with certain patients, I would return to SJHH any day.

Stressful but interesting experience

Although working in a hospital setting can be stressful especially in a hospital like St.Joes but it ahas its perks as you learn a lot of skills that help you later in life

Product Fun Workplace

Main campus (Charlton) is really old. West 5th Campus is modern and beautiful. Really enjoyed my time on both campuses. Everyone is friendly and it's a great work envieronment.

Meaningful work and learned lots about research process

-great mentorship from supervisors -hours are relatively flexible -learned lots about the research processes and how to develop research questions and studies

Good place to work but hard to advance

Lots of union men working here which is good and bad as well. Advancement normally means going to school to become a nurse or some sort of technician.

Unprofessional place

The work environment is very toxic. Well established staff treat new staff very poorly. Management turns a blind eye to it and when you speak up they side with senior staff. No regard for patients safety as I never worked full staffed in about a year.

Opportunity for career development

There are plenty of opportunities to advance your education offered at St Josephs Healthcare Hamilton. Management and nursing staff are flexible for shift accommodations and vacations. Positive environment to work in. Very clean place, always had enough supplies for staff and patients. I enjoyed all aspects of my job. Great staff!

St. Joseph's Workplace

One of the best things I can mention about the organization, is the pay grade. The pay grade is very reasonable and fair. The only issue is, it's very difficult to apply for positions. It's very difficult to even get in as a part-time regular employee, if you are a temporary or casual employee.

Productive and good place to learn

It was a good place to learn as a Graduate RN and build my mental health nursing skills. I provided assessment and care to indviduals with schizophrenia and related complex mental illness, as well substance use disorders. As an in-patient staff nurse, we had to do our own phlebotomy for the patients, do wound care, health assessment, medication administration, flu shots, etc as needed. Lots of critical thinking, therapeutic interventions through building rapport with patients.

being a student

lots of learning opportunities diverse patients and illnesses the cafe was expensive and had very few dairy free options students are not paid during the clinicals

RN Diagnostic imaging

Don't waste your time, Terrible work environment, No parking (7 year waiting list for a staff parking pass) even if you're on call Manager is useless,

Pros

Cons

Everything, No support from anyone, Most X-ray techs and miserable and mean, Very negative work environment.

Internship

I completed my schooling placement at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton which provided me with the ability to develop my skills as an Occupational Therapist (student). The placement was enjoyable for me and provided with a safe and educational work environment.

Nasty culture of abuse

Old school culture - the mentality of professionals is stuck in the dark ages. Very hierarchical culture and abuse allowed to fester. No reprimand for those abusing their own perceived power.

Horrible management!!! Lots of bullying from management and hospital educator.

Horrible managment!!! Creating jobs where they are not needed only to replace much needed nursing staff! Managers do not support their staff. Its all about $$$. Work the staff until they burn out!! I've also been a patient at St Joes and it was not a good experience! I would NOT reccomend this hospital at all!!!

terrible management

they do not care about their staff or the patients....to them it's all about the money money money...it has become a business, not a hospital that cares about the patients :( The communication between the staff and management is one sided (management wanting more and more and not listening to staff) Administration continues to rake in the big bucks while the little worker ants work their as@@ off with no appreciation or recognition.

amazing place to work

amazing place to work. Helpful staff. Wonderful managers. The only problem is pay and that is not the fault of the organization. Love St. Joes Amazing experiences there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement