Work wellbeing score is 73 out of 100

St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Employee Reviews

Canada122 reviews

hospitalparkingpatienthealthcarestaffexcellentprovideshift

Supportive team

Good place to work, felt supported by coworkers and encouraged to pursue continuing education. Some system issues but I’ve heard worse from other hospital systems.

Strength is its employees

An abundance of management, many are young and inexperienced who have been promoted because they look good “on paper”. Supply issues.Some outdated units and equipment.

Insights into St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose

Productive and fun place to work.Awesome co-workers, Manager is very attentive and treats all employees equally,

I love my job here,all the staff are amazing and my manager is awesome! My co-workers treat me with love, kindness and respect. The staff are always eager to help each other and always making sure each other is ok.I love being able to assist the patients this job as a PSW is very rewarding.The staff and patients make me feel so appreciated.

Do not apply, stay away if you value your mind and health

What is the best part of working at the company?Don't expect management to help you if ever you are a victim of bullying. 25 yrs services ,they are a awful place to workWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Work over load, not being believed.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Awful, unless you are the teachers pet ,then you are set for lifeWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?Hard work, while defending yourself from. Bullies

Great hospital to work for.

The staff are very supportive. From the manager to the housekeepers. A team environment and support system is in place. Room for advancement if you have to education.

Good while it lasted

Laid off two years ago. Very few transcription jobs left in hospitals now. It was a good job with great benefits and decent pay, but is being slowly phased out unfortunately.

Rewarding. Friendly staff to work with

Great learning experience. Friendly staff. Mentally stimulating. Rewarding. Collaborating with Allied healthcare workers is easy. Management listens to staffing concerns.

Not a bad job for a new nurse

Pretty supportive team, can pick up a lot of hours but they are not usually short. Co-workers are pretty friendly. Good patient-staff ratios on both nights and days,

Provides a much needed service

Collaborative work, with some great co-workers. Very rewarding and necessary work with clients.Opportunity to participate in various workplace committees.Lots of staff education

Pros

Excellent benefits, training opportunities

Cons

Alot of travel to various worksites, uneven workload distribution, narrow scope

Great place to work!

I enjoyed working there- the RT role is quite good. I never felt particularly valued by upper management, however, and if you ever need to take a leave of absence for medical issues, be prepared to be harassed constantly by employee health. They are extremely difficult to deal with.

Challenging but rewarding work

Working with the most vulnerable populations at their most difficult moments in life. Can be very hard work but it is very rewarding. Staff are fantastic, and my team of social workers are amazing

Best job ever. Time Flies. Love 10 hour shifts.

Very supported by my charge nurse and manager. I can honestly say I have never felt better about my work and had the supportive culture my manager has developed in this unit. Love the organization and the work.

Pros

Education every Wednesday. Great culture.

Cons

Can be extremely busy and go home exhausted at the end of a shift some days.

Okay Empolyer

It's an okay place to work. Not much can be said about management. They are all about meeting targets so they can make their bonuses. Working short staff all the time. Redeploying nurses from their home unit as if they are part of the resource team.

VERY Top Heavy

Constant emails from managers congratulating managers for made up positions given out for managers who save the most money by cutting patient care staff and working short staffed. The best part of St. Joe's is the working staff. More and more and quitting unfortunately due to the poor treatment by management, and refusal to pay fairly. Expect to do the jobs of porters, cleaning staff, and clerical, as well as all of your own duties, if you apply for a nursing job here.

Pros

Staff

Very good company

Company is good for growing. Learned many things while doing job here. Gained a excellent hands on experience. Salary is average. Staff is cooperative

Pros

Good infrastructure

When the chips fall

When the chips fall with your work, this institution leaves you and fends only for themselves. Deep favouritism and nepotism. They will throw you under the bus at the first chance they get if you do t ‘ fit in’ This is definitely not a hospital, barely an organization, it is a business for turning over beds. Avoid at all costs if you can. The stress, drama, poor treatment is. It worth the pay.

decent

I had a supportive manager and we could work from home (really because of the pandemic though). they seem to do good job keeping employees updated on what's going on, and take feedback and complaints about what things to change, even on the corporate level. Generally a good job with women in leadership too.

Independent work.

Independent job routines. Time sensitive. Getting to know patients is really nice. You will work hard and often work short. Call in opportunities for more hours. Co-workers are a blessing.

Pros

Lots of locations

Cons

Long shifts

Great place to work. Short staffed a lot recently but overall good support from co workers and management. I was able to get most of the time off that I wanted as well.

Lack of support from management/higher ups

Started working in Covid so it was a stressful time. As with any hospital there are toxic units and some good ones with supportive teams. From my experience working there for 1.5 years I understood that Management & higher ups did not support frontline workers at all. This is a Catholic hospital and my morals didn’t align with some of the decisions/lack of decisions that I witnessed. Decent benefits and good job security.

It’s a great place to work, like most places there are some “ politics” but I’ve truly enjoyed working there. They do appreciate their staff. The hospital could use more updating in certain areas it’s quite old looking on some floors.

Pros

Great place, patient care focused

Cons

No raise in 2.5 years thanks Doug Ford, staff shortages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement