St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton

St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Employee Reviews

Canada80 reviews
Product Fun Workplace
Main campus (Charlton) is really old. West 5th Campus is modern and beautiful. Really enjoyed my time on both campuses. Everyone is friendly and it's a great work envieronment.
Great training & staff
I loved my time at SJHH. I had an amazing supervisor who fostered growth and championed me for the duration of my career. I found staff were extremely bright and dedicated to their roles. While it was stressful at times, especially with certain patients, I would return to SJHH any day.
Stressful but interesting experience
Although working in a hospital setting can be stressful especially in a hospital like St.Joes but it ahas its perks as you learn a lot of skills that help you later in life
Meaningful work and learned lots about research process
-great mentorship from supervisors
-hours are relatively flexible

-learned lots about the research processes and how to develop research questions and studies
Good place to work but hard to advance
Lots of union men working here which is good and bad as well. Advancement normally means going to school to become a nurse or some sort of technician.
Unprofessional place
The work environment is very toxic. Well established staff treat new staff very poorly. Management turns a blind eye to it and when you speak up they side with senior staff. No regard for patients safety as I never worked full staffed in about a year.
Opportunity for career development
There are plenty of opportunities to advance your education offered at St Josephs Healthcare Hamilton. Management and nursing staff are flexible for shift accommodations and vacations. Positive environment to work in. Very clean place, always had enough supplies for staff and patients. I enjoyed all aspects of my job. Great staff!
St. Joseph's Workplace
One of the best things I can mention about the organization, is the pay grade. The pay grade is very reasonable and fair. The only issue is, it's very difficult to apply for positions. It's very difficult to even get in as a part-time regular employee, if you are a temporary or casual employee.
Productive and good place to learn
It was a good place to learn as a Graduate RN and build my mental health nursing skills. I provided assessment and care to indviduals with schizophrenia and related complex mental illness, as well substance use disorders. As an in-patient staff nurse, we had to do our own phlebotomy for the patients, do wound care, health assessment, medication administration, flu shots, etc as needed. Lots of critical thinking, therapeutic interventions through building rapport with patients.
being a student
lots of learning opportunities
diverse patients and illnesses

the cafe was expensive and had very few dairy free options

students are not paid during the clinicals
RN Diagnostic imaging
Don't waste your time, Terrible work environment, No parking (7 year waiting list for a staff parking pass) even if you're on call Manager is useless,
Pros
Cons
Everything, No support from anyone, Most X-ray techs and miserable and mean, Very negative work environment.
Internship
I completed my schooling placement at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton which provided me with the ability to develop my skills as an Occupational Therapist (student). The placement was enjoyable for me and provided with a safe and educational work environment.
Nasty culture of abuse
Old school culture - the mentality of professionals is stuck in the dark ages. Very hierarchical culture and abuse allowed to fester. No reprimand for those abusing their own perceived power.
Horrible management!!! Lots of bullying from management and hospital educator.
Horrible managment!!! Creating jobs where they are not needed only to replace much needed nursing staff! Managers do not support their staff. Its all about $$$. Work the staff until they burn out!! I've also been a patient at St Joes and it was not a good experience! I would NOT reccomend this hospital at all!!!
terrible management
they do not care about their staff or the patients....to them it's all about the money money money...it has become a business, not a hospital that cares about the patients :( The communication between the staff and management is one sided (management wanting more and more and not listening to staff) Administration continues to rake in the big bucks while the little worker ants work their as@@ off with no appreciation or recognition.
amazing place to work
amazing place to work. Helpful staff. Wonderful managers.
The only problem is pay and that is not the fault of the organization.

Love St. Joes Amazing experiences there
Great staff, poor leadership
I had the opportunity to work with some amazing colleagues at St. Joes (passionate, motivated, inspiring), however the leadership was disappointing. Promotions and positions are routinely provided to individuals who are unqualified and are not posted. Frequently union rules are breached in hiring/promotional activities.

There should be more oversight to leadership and to hiring/promotion. It mostly based on who you know and if a director likes you or not.
Collaborative and Caring
Collaborative and Caring environment providing excellent service to clients.
Working in a team environment to better patient experience has been very rewarding
St.Joes
Working with St.joes for a decade I found them to be a great company overall. My department that I worked in however experienced several issues within management and work culture that made day to day working quite difficult. The hospital as a whole provides great benefits and salaries to its employees and job guarantee when a permanent employee is pretty definite.
Not a good culture
Not a good culture, high stress, staff burnout, difficult shifts, bad hours, stressed management, indifferent upper management, good employees overlooked for promotion
Busy and productive workplace
Feeling of making important and worthwhile contributions to healthcare and to patients lives. Difficult to attain full time perm employment due to union restrictions.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton. Our community is ready to answer.
St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Reviews by Location