St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton Employee Reviews

Dangerous place to work
Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton6 November 2018
ministry of labour is constantly at the hospital laying orders for the hospital to comply with the law
management really do not care about the safety of the employees
they pay the managers to shut up employees who bring up health and safety issues
good pay = high risk
Good ward culture.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 September 2018
Great nursing teamwork, supported each other. Felt like a family. Management was good, present and listened to concerns but unfortunately favouratism was a problem on this ward. The building itself was very old, in much need of upgrades.
Productive and fun workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON30 November 2017
The workplace is well maintained and the employees are friendly. The clients are nice too, they're easy to please. The management cares for employees and clients. They also benefits for the full time employees.
Pros
The short shift is good for students like me, because you only have to work every shift.
Cons
Limited schedules for short shifts.
Difficult workplace for pharmacists
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  50 Charlton Ave E, Hamilton29 June 2018
2 different pay scales for pharmacists, one significantly higher than the other, creates an awkward divide
lack of vision for patient care role of a pharmacist
many caring employees who are not empowered to use their technical and professional knowledge
difficulty with current professional standards of practice
inefficient use of on call pharmacists, resulting in frequent call backs
great opportunity to work with allied health, residents, physicians and nurse practitioners
challenging acuity of patients
negative reports of department by several external organizations
Pros
Open positions always available
Cons
Poor orientation and organization of department
Productive but extremely busy
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 November 2018
Its a rigorous day on your feet. Not a lot of down time. Skilled workers are needed. ALways short staffed. Enjoy my time there, but could use something less stressful.
Depends on who your boss is
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 July 2018
I worked on a big project and therefore, it depends on who your project manager is. My Project manager was not a good leader and had created a somewhat negative environment (they probably meant well but it did not turn out well). Management focused more on past mistakes and kept reminding you of them
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Parking, management
Contract Position
Cytotechnologist (contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2018
Friendly work environment, could be more advanced in terms of technology used. Hospital needs upgrades. The onboarding orientation was very well organized and HR is on top of everything.
Opportunities to participate in great projects/initiatives.
Research Assistant, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 September 2018
I was able to contribute to incredible studies. I appreciated my PI, she took the time to explain tasks and initiatives to me even though she was very busy. She made me feel as though I belonged to something bigger. I enjoyed going into work.
Alright
Crisis Intervention Worker (Former Employee) –  Off site5 February 2017
I enjoyed many years in my career until new management changed things up for the worse in a program that was running like a well oiled machine. I was one of almost an entire program of individuals who were weeded out. And in true hospital fashion, only 4 months after being let go, jobs are being posted for a position I was and am more than qualified for. They will pay people out on severance and then hire newbies - great use of our healthcare system dollars.
I did appreciate many good years there though. I loved the salary and benefits and my team was great!
Pros
Move up quickly on the pay grid
Cons
Being heard by anyone in management
Positive Culture Overall
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 April 2018
I have worked at SJHH for the past 7 years. I have had the opportunity to work on 9 different units/clinics between West 5th and Charlton campuses. The majority of the places were positive working environments, had great management and great staff. Parking is expensive, at Charlton there is a long waiting list 5+ years. More part time jobs than full time but overall a great company to work for.
Pros
Unionized, Good Pay, Stability
Cons
Expensive (hard to find) Parking. Lack of full time jobs.
Good place
Semester 3 Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 September 2018
Most staff were great and very helpful to the student nurses. Learned lots while working on the surgical floor. 12 hour shifts are long and tiring but good staff makes the day easier.
hospital wage
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 September 2017
fast paced, hospital wage, fair benefits, not a lot of opportunity for growth or advancement, shift work, at times management support is lacking, support from co-staff is great for the most part
Excellent team of talented individuals to work beside.
UNPAID STUDENT LEARNER (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 May 2018
Most days at work are highly engaging. It is a wonderful place to work because the quality of service is always at a high level. There are always opportunities to continue learning and management is very supportive in helping you in areas which are weaker in.
good workplace
Student Nurse - GI Surgical (Former Employee) –  Charlton30 April 2018
good place to work, lots of friendly staff and many places to advance within your career. somewhat demanding but overall pretty good, often found extra time for documenting.
Excellent employer
Dovetale Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 May 2018
They are kind and respectful towards their employees. They have a professional approach, and personal kindness. I didn't have any issues with working for this employer. I enjoyed everything they had to offer.
Pros
A lot of training, and new skills provided continuously
Cons
No parking, 6 year waiting list
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Charlton Campus - Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2018
Excellent organization to work with - plenty of areas for continued growth. I have worked in 5 different healthcare organizations and St Joe's by far is the front runner.
Intense work that was also very rewarding
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 March 2018
Work with data to analyze and interpret hospital data. Helped build the patient information system from scratch. I learned how to interact with stakeholders, how behind the scenes of a hospital works and how to build macros in excel. The workplace culture was built around mindfulness and wellness but the work was also very intense.
Solid Employer
SOCIAL WORKER in the Forensic Psychiatry Program (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 March 2016
SJHH has an excellent culture, salary and benefits. If you have high integrity and an excellent work ethic, you will be rewarded.
Great benefits
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  LTC9 January 2017
Been working here for 8 years. Used to work in float team and loved it. Most coworkers are nice and helpful. Benefits are great. Pay is good. Have to pay a ridiculous amount for monthly parking.
Productive ,fast paced location
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 February 2018
Excellent work timings that provided a sufficient work life balance .
Amazing place to learn and grow , with friendly staff and co-workers.
Good Managers who taught me a lot.