St. Joseph's Health Centre Employee Reviews

unfortunately not a very dynamic place to work these days
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2019
A typical work day the majority of the time is short staffed. My current work area is just getting over a crisis with the previous manager of the area. She has been removed and a new Manager has taken over.

The hardest part of the job is to work hard and feel that it has not been recognized.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with supportive co-workers and to work as a team
Pros
the hospital has good compassionate staff in the religious support
Cons
very long hrs. caring for chronic patients
My years at SJHC was very rewarding accomplished a lot trained many technologists started as a senior tech with many in teaching in imaging
CT/INTERVENTIONAL TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2018
Every day can bring new challenges when working in the health care sector, with your knowledge and acquired skills you always have to be on the alert, be observant of your environment from a safety point of view and be mindful of your client's needs and at the end of the day you can feel a sense of accomplishment that you have help or assisted in helping in the well being of someone.
Pros
Always some new to learn
Cons
Very long and exhausting hours
Harmonious and peaceful environment.
Biomedical Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2018
I have been working with St. Joseph’s Hospital since 2016, first for my internship program and now as a volunteer. I serviced, installed, maintained and repaired all medical equipment including lab, diagnostic and electronic equipment safely and promptly, and have experienced performing incoming inspections and testing, and enjoyed working in a fast-paced settings. In addition, I have performed preventative maintenance tasks.
St. Joseph's
Administrative assistant, Renal Technician (Current Employee) –  30 The Queensway, etobicoke12 September 2018
By working in many different departments and units I 've learned excellent customer service skills, payroll management and scheduling large groups. The management is always approachable and fair.
Productive and Fun Place to work
Receptionist - St. Joseph's Villa (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 July 2018
Great place to work. Amazing culture and coworkers. Staff and Residents provide a unique work experience. I highly recommend this company as an employer.
A lot of overtime
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2018
Learned a lot, management exposed to leadership discussions, information was shared and accessible. Unfortunately, reports did not match data source and stole a lot of time from analysis. This drove lots of unpaid overtime, the day was extremely tiring, did not have a chance to recover for the next day, no time for any personal outings or plans.
Pros
learning opportunities
Cons
overtime is nnormal work schedule
Excellent and very welcoming workplace.
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
During my time at St. Joseph's Healthcare I made quite a few advancements in my career and they provided a great balance between work life and personal life. The staff of professionals within the core lab were like family to me, always very friendly and teamwork oriented. They were always creating events to bring the staff together outside of work, were very social, and worked extremely well together day in and day out. For my very first job in my health care career, this facility and the people within it made a lasting impression on my heart and my decision to work in this field.
Not pleasant and very stressful
Unit Aide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2018
In simplest terms..if you don't suck up, you aren't going anywhere within the department or hospital setting, Management is clueless and delusional. Everybody thinks that they are the boss. Therefore, no communication is ever made and redundant mistakes always keep happening. It is pretty ridiculous what staff can get away with there. There is no control of the department. Period.

The only bright side, I was always praised by nurses for my hard work, and for correcting other staff members mistakes.
Pros
good pay
Cons
lack of teamwork, favoritism, mentally and emotionally stressful as a result of poor management team
Fast paced and high turn around caring for patients in the ED
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 March 2018
Nurses collaborate with the multi-disciplinary team to care for patient's of all ages in an acute setting. Patients in the Emergency Department at St. Joe's Toronto come from all ethnical backgrounds
Pros
keeps the nurse on her/his toes
Cons
I live in Hamilton so the commute is tiring
Great Place
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2018
St. Joe's is a great place to work in. Amazing team and culture with many benefits and flex hours. Everyone is caring and helpful at the hospital. You will learn a lot on everyday basis.
Drama
Personal Support Worker (PSW) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON8818 April 2018
Pays well and depending where you work its pretty easy and laid back.
Other places not so much the same.
Hours are never garunteed and you cannot get full time.
Seniority never matters.
Lack of staffing and overcapacity
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2017
Since management has changed over the last year lots of changes have been made to unit. It is a physically heavy unit and stressful.

The ratio is 5 patients up to 6 on days, and 6 up to 7 on nights with 1 psw for both shifts. The census can range from 25 to 32 patients depending on overcapacity protocol in ER

The staff works well as a team, however due to the stressful environment of the unit there is a high turnover in staff.

It does not help that the management is not supportive of staff and has made changes to scheduling affecting work life balance
Pros
Great nursing staff and allied health, community
Cons
Long hours, never leave on time
My review
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  London, ON6 November 2017
I loved every aspect of my job at St. Joseph's Health Centre. My rather extensive career in nursing has given me so much joy and happiness. I feel very honoured to have been a part of the medical field. The most enjoyable part of my job is being there as often as I could. The hardest part of my job was having the time taken away to spend more time at the bedside. When I left my shift at the end of the day I felt I hadn't given my residents the time they so richly deserve.
Pros
Being a nurse
Cons
Reduction in staff numbers
fair
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 April 2018
hours where cut back , they never want to hire anyone fulltime , great place to work other then that , I enjoyed everyday I went to work it was the best Job
challenging, fast-paced working environment in typical day
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  London, ON26 September 2017
I recently took a Working Mind course on effectively supporting excellent psychological health in the workplace by effectively balancing professional/personal time. I would like to work in an atmosphere that supports this philosophy.

I like working in a setting that recognizes hard dedicated workers with management that also supports this and a work/life healthy balance.

The most enjoyable part of my job is supporting employee health, health promotion (vaccination, counseling, triage, sharing community supports) and working in a clinic setting.
Pros
clinic peer supports/ongoing learning opportunities
Cons
short breaks, unsupported work/life balance
Fast-paced
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 January 2018
Overall, I had a nice experience working alongside many like-minded people. I learned a lot about other cultures and people in developing countries. It was a very fast-paced experience, but in the end it was always enjoyable.
Work/life balance
RPN (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 February 2018
Salary not as good but great benefits. Good work/life balance. Work load is very challenging but relationships with immediate boss and other colleagues are harmonious.
productive and fun
Continuing Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Macklin, SK6 December 2017
Really good people and staff members! The residents and the love they receive from their families is honestly amazing! The union is really good about supporting us as well the staff when we need something.
Pros
Kind people
Cons
hard on the feet
Dedicated staff
Manager, Commercial Operations/Finance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
All staff is focusing to provide an excellent patient care. The facility needs a capital investment because conditions of all buildings are deteriorating.

Visitors have access 24/7 access to their loved ones.
Enjoyable work environment
Clinical/Administrative Assistant to the Chief (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 September 2017
Great place to work with lots of chances for advancement. Very quick paced office with a great deal of multitasking needed. Learned lots of skills to succeed. Fellow colleagues great to work with.
Pros
great benefits and vacation plan
Cons
could be very stressful at times