St. Joseph's Care Group Employee Reviews

Hogarth Riverview Manor
Nursing (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON14 February 2019
A typical day at work is long hours with no breaks due to the facility running on severe staff shortages. You are not provided competent education on site which places staff and residents at risk. You must be experienced and have excellent clinical and assessment skills, as there is no support for new hires. There is a high turnover of management, very young and inexperienced with long-term care; not only lacking the skills and education to support staff, but have no real desire to do so. The employees are very hard-working, however frustrated with low morale, which leads to many walking of the job, and bullying. There is insidious racism toward indigenous and visible minority employees. The hardest part of the job is going home knowing that residents are not cared for properly. The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for the residents if you like working with the elderly. DO NOT WORK HERE.
Pros
Flexible shift hours
Cons
Poor management, low morale
Fast-paced Environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 February 2019
The job as a Support Worker is very taxing. However, the co-workers are family, and you are treated as family. It is very fast-paced environment and have responsible that need to be done within a strict-time limit. St Joes Care Group could have some improvements, but not lacking.

I have learned to be very time-organized, and be respectful.
Pros
Welcoming
Cons
Long hours.
excellent
Food & Nutrition Services (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 May 2018
great company to work for i enjoy the environment the people and experiences while working. positive never negative, care compassion and committed for sure
hogarth riverview manor
employee of hogarth riverview manor (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 December 2017
under staffed, underpaid, however continuing to add more work for front line health care staff. No appreciation for staff just blame pointed to staff as this building has been a failure of a project from the organization. Staff morale is low because of all of this. Management pushes away concerns of staff. Residents are at risk here and if you are a registered staff member I would say most likely is your license - unless you want to fill out a workload grievance every shift don't start here. I have worked at several other sites at SJCG and HRM is the worst by a long shot - every other site is actually great. Every job has pros and cons but at this point as an employee the only reason I am here is to benefit the residents I know and enjoy (when I can talk to them for all of 2 minutes due to workload) and because I need a job to survive. I actually feel there is no pro to working here at all - as it mentally exhausts me and stresses me out, i leave feeling i have never done enough. I feel sorry for the people who live here. Staff do their best and are treated like dirt. This building in no doubt one of the biggest failures in Canadian Health Care History.
St. Joseph's Care Group
RPN (Former Employee) –  LPH31 May 2017
Good place to work. The company pays good. Management is OK, Depending on what department that you work in. Takes forever to acquire full time job status. They have a great Union.
Competent and friendly staff
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 April 2017
I have learned quite a bit from St. Joseph's Care Group. I enjoyed working with the staff as they are great with clients interpersonally and medically.
see below
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON6 January 2017
All places have good and bad things about the work environment. depending on what type of work you want and life /family needs. most work environments offer pros and cons.