ST. CLAIR COLLEGE OF APPLIED ARTS & TECHNOLOGY

ST. CLAIR COLLEGE OF APPLIED ARTS & TECHNOLOGY Employee Reviews

Teaching students is awesome. Unfortunately management has lots and lots of room for improvement. Most teachers are seasoned inviduals who are use to management inadequate abilities.
I would stay in my present position if, was offered permanent status. There is a great sense of energy and satisfaction to be realized in assisting those to achieve their higher education goals
It is my responsibility to teach from both textbook and Powerpoint slides and provide the exams for each class. What I learned is that I love to teach and that I can make a connection with students and even show them that I care and believe in them when they don't believe in themselves. Giving a student who is struggling the ability to meet with you and help this also provides them with hope that they can meet the expectations of post-secondary education. Management was fine. They provided the trust in you to complete the job effectively and were always open to setting up a meeting to speak with you. Workplace culture is very different since it is an educational institution. I kept to myself pretty much as I did not know a lot of staff. I met staff along the way and was able to connect over lunch or coffee but class time and structure creates the inability sometimes to be able to share in meetings or even a coffee.People were friendly and were always willing to help you if you had a question or connection with the proper person to help answer your question. The hardest part of the job was preparing the tests as I would have to prepare different sets so that persons beside each other were not getting the same number to do the test together or falsify their answers. The most difficult part of the job is working with a student who believes that a grade was unjust or explaining to them the consequences of plagiarism and the effects to damaging their school transcript.
Pros
Work Independedntly
Cons
Classes in cold rooms
Excellent working environment but be very aware that part time and sessional instructors are paid only for scheduled class time. You are not paid for marking assignments, developing and marking tests, meeting with students, answering/responding to emails, course preparation, etc.You will spend a very large amount of personal time doing work that you are not paid for nor compensated for.
Pros
Very good work environment with supportive Program Co-ordinator
Cons
You are only paid for your scheduled class time only. Precarious work.
The fact class was of mature students (mainly professionals) made teaching and interaction a shared experience. I learned from students as much as they learned from me.
Contract employee Low paying position. Temporary. Difficult to deal with arrogant fellow employees. Management differed on a regular basis. Work was ok.
took 3 courses, did not finish any, yet was able to obtain a job as a dishwasher for 2 years, learned different abilities even though i did not finish the courses. I also learned sign language from a friend at the college.
Pros
learned a lot of different new skills
Cons
did not last there long
St. Clair College is a great place to work the best of the best. If you like people and you like to help others this is the place to be I recommend this company
I worked on a contract basis with St Clair and unfortunately due to changes in my life I was unable to recommit to the next contract. Great organization and wonderful group of people to work with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at ST. CLAIR COLLEGE OF APPLIED ARTS & TECHNOLOGY?
Bosses are great and it's a wonderful place to work and learn. We do things from setting up shows to running dinner shows. Normal work time is 12 hour shifts
Having the opportunity to assist fellow students and faculty, allows one to sharpen existing skills while learning new ones. Management is always helpful with advice, and they also keep you in the loop with any expected changes in the near future. Co-workers are fun, energetic, high spirited, and have an insatiable thirst for acquiring knowledge.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Can't think of any...
This job at St. Clair College provided me with a team oriented place. We worked as a team. My boss was a great boss, she treated me with a lot of respect, as I did the same. I grew with this job.
Pros
team work. excellent co-workers
Cons
it was a work study job, which meant after graduation, the job was eliminated
A job designed to keep students at school. Management was great, and they were more like coaches than bosses.
Pros
great experience
Cons
limited working hours
As a general clerk in the registrar's office you face highs and lows in terms of productivity and how busy you are. You meet and work with a lot of people. The company has a lot of opportunity for horizontal as well as vertical movement in terms of job position. There is also alot of opportunities for personal and professional development as you have access to various courses. It's difficult to get in full time and as a part time employee job security is very low.
Pros
salary, personal development, job versatility.
Cons
hard to get full time, low job security