St. Alban's Boys and Girls Club

St. Alban's Boys and Girls Club Employee Reviews

Canada20 reviews
I love working with children, the staff were great and I had a lot of time off because I was part-time. This job is very fulfilling and leads to better opportunities
No room for improvement. Management can be unprofessional. other than that, very chill, good place to work if you are in highschool. pay isn't all that so if that is what you are interested in then this job may not be for you.
Cons
short hours
A fun workspace with amazing managers and coworkers 10/10! A great experience to work with kids of various ages, while also building the skills that are needed if you want to become an ECE
The great work environment for the first job, head staff are very outgoing and care for you while still teaching on how to understand young children. Overall great experience and would definitely recommend for future applicants
Pros
free food all the time
Cons
Easy going environment with helpful management and coworkers. Children are fun to be around. Great please to learn new thing and get comfortable in the field.
St. Albans and Boys and Girls club is an environment geared towards an inclusive space for children to learn and thrive academically and socially in a collective space.
Overall the experience was very interesting, worked with some great people and I learned a lot from it. However the staff were kind of not good at their jobs. Most of them were ageist and a bit rude.
Pros
You learning something new everyday
Cons
most of the higher up staff don't know how to do their jobs properly
I learned a multitude of skills while volunteering with this establishment. Both management and staff aided me with my progress as a volunteer in a pleasant manner. This position helped me to transition to other work environments.
Great and friendly environment to work
Rare opportunity for higher positions

Inclusive community

The work environment is not always clean

Staff are friendly and inviting
Awesome culture, doing everything we can for the community. Couldn't ask for better management, as most of the management team have been here for over 10 years. Our supervisors give us almost complete autonomy over our programs, and very rarely micromanage. The salaries are not super competitive, but that is the way it is with non-profit organizations. If you're looking for a big pay cheque, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking to make an impact in the community, this IS the place for you.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, lots of work perks
Cons
Not great wages
a good place to be. gain good experience with working with children. having fun and being creative in a work environment that teaches adults and children how to co-exist with one another
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
eat lunch with kids
A typical day for me was going to the Dupont Satellite location to do the Rogers Raising the Grade Homework help with the at risk children around the community. It was nice to engage with parents on the development of their children. The place is well organized as their are many programs running and all the staff are polite and helpful.
Pros
working with a range of people
Summer (9-5)
Learned how to plan programs that fit the kids abilities.

management are very nice and understandable, you can ask them anything and they'll help you immediately.

Co-workers are amazing and are very likeable.

hardest part of the job, gaining control of the kids at times.

most enjoyable is having fun with the kids, sometimes it doesn't feel like you're working because all you do is play all day!
Pros
Having fun with the kids
Cons
a bit much to handle at times (kids).
I've loved volunteering at st.albans because the staff were amazing, the kids were fun to be around, and i just overall had a really fun time getting to know everyone
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Loud kids
Doing experiments and other things with students was amazing. The trips, the experiments, the creativity they all put towards the program was fun overall . The students all liked me which made me happy and comfortable.
Pros
Money, Trips, Lunches
Cons
Science
Typical Day at work:

A lesson plan for every class checked by either the Aquatic Leader or manger. Depending on the time of the session, a confirmation of stickers and badges for complete/incomplete students. Calling out Swim Kids/Preschool levels along with attendance. Trying to find a good location for your students to learn how to swim, the pool is fairly small so this is not very well organized. First come, first serve. However, depending on class size you can convince someone to swap lanes/section with you. Weekend swimmers tend to be more calm and easier to teach than weekday.Pool is VERY warm, around 90 fahrenheit.

Lunch break: not many places close by to eat, bring your own lunch but cannot eat in the office, so limited space. Lunch breaks are around 30 minutes.

Lifeguarding: Typically calm, rotations are enjoyable.

Camp groups: VERY LARGE. Hard to manage and typically not well organized.

Staff Training:

Not like the usual skills performed in NLS course. Mostly endurance and team work building. Unique drills. Trainings can last between a few hours to 3 full days. Paid.

Co-workers:

AMAZING group of people. Immediately make you feel welcomed. Sometimes go on trips together when off-duty.

Change rooms:

Not very clean. No staff specific change rooms so a lot of the workers will change in the storage room.

Accommodations:

Friendly staff will support you and take your shifts if need be, company is very understanding. Will take the time to work out a specific work schedule to fit your personal needs.
Pros
Friendly Staff, HOT pool, flexible work hours
Cons
Staff training is physically demanding, lesson plans are a MUST, just above minimum wage, lack of organization, small pool - around 18m length, dirty change rooms
It is a great experience but it can be better in so many ways. I enjoyed my experience with them all in all though. Once working there you get attached to the children and staff however the pay and the hours does not suffice due to the amount of effort is being put forth into programs. Great job for students in high school and want to gain that experience of working with children.
Pros
The Children & Stagg
Cons
Pay & Hours
A good program, I got along well with everyone and day were fun but productive. the hardest part of the job was really creating a solid relationship with every single kid. The most enjoy was doing the programs and the activities with the kids.
Pros
doing the activies planned
Cons
not enough hours
It was fun working for the Boys and Girls Club, I got to basically help grow children, I have seen kids grow from 1st grade to 5th grade. there was never a dull moment with the kids working there, there was a gym, computer lab, park, pool and we went on trips and all different type of adventures.

Management was not the best but we did it for the kids regardless of what was going on. And majority or my co-workers were kids that grew up there or in the community and also kids I went to school with so it was always a good time. Every workplace has its down times, but we learned to work together and be a team.

The hardest part of the job was trying to meet managements requirements, because they expected so much from us but we were only teenagers not child and youth workers, but we did what we had to do and we pulled out of any and everything.
Pros
Fun times and great programs along with amazing kids.
Cons
A typical day at work is first off making sure I have the necessary items or equipment for the day. Ensuring the area is a safe environment for the youth, then doing attendance then conversation with the youth asking about their day, rather they have homework that needs to be done. My co-worker and I split the time so the needs of the youth are being met rather homework, physical activity or sharing. The hardest part of the day is if a child or youth has had a bad day and they start to have influence on others causing a chain affect of challenging behavior. The most enjoyable part of the day is when you know that you've effected a persons life in a positive way rather its a co-worker, management of youth. Or when a parent says thank you for the part you're playing in my child's life.