St Vincent de Paul Society

St Vincent de Paul Society Employee Reviews

Found 48 reviews matching the search See all 1,049 reviews
Stressful place to work
SOCIAL CONCERN OFFICER/ ASSISTANT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC25 December 2019
Although I enjoyed helping homeless people and had fantastic coworkers, the management was unfair and unaware of the level of commitment that the job required.The staff felt unappreciated, over worked and under paid. Managment needs to change.
A mess with no morals.
Sales Representitive (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 December 2019
One of my first jobs so being naturally inexperienced with people and the like, I wasn't always completely certain of myself. I had actually been terminated before probation had ended, and within those 5 months I had been pulled into the office and reprimanded for taking too long, for daring to step behind the cash registers to change the trash bins, consistently sent to do jobs I had no training for and was nowhere near my job description.

To earn this job I actually used a third party to help train me to learn how interviews worked and that same third party had opted to pay for my training and increase my chances of becoming employed...once that payment program had run out however I was immediately terminated, with a full 15 minutes wasted on cheap empty excuses that even in my experience could easily be characterized as weak covers. I was essentially used for free pay and labor and once the money stopped they no loner needed me.

Did I mention I had to deal with inappropriate advances from a customer? Yeah, and bringing that to managements attention, not only do they take no action, but attempting to work away from the mentioned individual only gets one once more taken to the office and spoken to.
Summer Camp
Summer Camp Counselor in Training (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2019
Its a multi-cultural friendly environment were everyone is welcome. All the staff are so friendly and are so good with the kids. They do an amazing job to make sure the kids who cant afford much can have the great summer they deserve.
Great entry level position, not much room for advancement
Residential Relief Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 November 2019
Amazing amazing staff. They will support you from your first day to your last. They are all amazing women to work with. Management at different homes need some help as they pick and choose favourites. They work on a seniority system so if you are not next for a full-time opportunity, you may need to move on. Some staff have been working there for 8-10 years before they even get a full-time position. Overall a great place to learn about the field and start your career.
Great place to Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dunnville, ON6 September 2019
A charitable thrift shop that offers so much to the community. I enjoyed always seeing regulars. I sorted through donations and stocked them on shelves,cleaning them when needed.
Fun and a Healthy environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2019
we were all like brothers given that new people come each year, the family grows quickly. I have seen people grow, even my self. people coming out of there shells.
Pros
nights off
Helpful, and positive working environment
SOUP KITCHEN VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 September 2019
Volunteering at St. Vincent de Paul was an amazing working experience. Each time I went there was always a very positive working environment. They were very welcoming when i first joined. The work there was fairly easy to pick up on and even if you're not a fast learner you had someone else there guiding you.
Excellent place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 January 2019
St. Vincent de Paul was a very great place to volunteer. Atypical day at work involved: cleaning, talking with customers, pricing toys, etc. I learned a variety of social skills. For example how to interact with customers. They are very friendly and treat everyone with respect. I didn't find anything hard in this position. My favorite part was getting to go pickup stuff from peoples houses, and unload the truck when we got back.
Pros
They're very friendly.
Cons
Run out of stuff to do.
Fun Work Place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON9 January 2019
It was an great environment to work in and there was a lot of people who would visit the place at least once a week and there was a lot of diversity there
awesome!
Soup Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON4 December 2018
love helping around there everyone is so nice just a great place to be! everyone is so help full when i first arrived and no trouble was giving great management as well
Good community and good work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON16 October 2018
The St. Vincent de Paul is an organization that gives all of it's profit to charity. All of the staff are volunteers and very kind and dedicated. The workplace was enjoyable and the staff make it a good environment to work in.
volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 August 2018
lots of heavy lifting but worth it when you help the less fortunate in our society. it can be dangerous work since many locations are hard to access especially apartments.
wonderful place to volunteer
Clothing Sorter (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 April 2018
I am pleased to volunteer at St Vincents de Paul thrift store because I enjoy working with the many other volunteers sorting the clothing donations. It is always interesting to see the variety of clothing people have donated and I am glad to be part of an organization that does so much to help the community.
Pros
good work environment
Out-of-the-way thrift shop
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON27 March 2018
St. Vincent de Paul Society is a reasonable place of employment. The work is not terribly difficult; the most physical task is typically the breaking down of cardboard and moving of heavy bags. The atmosphere is very laid-back and relaxed; little is taken very seriously. Whether this is a positive or a negative is highly subjective. Note that employment is volunteer only. Good for earning high school volunteer hours, not so good for getting paid.
Very Nice
Back Door Team (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON8 March 2018
Very Nice St . Vinncent De Pual is a great place to work and is lots of friendly faces and is right next to plenty of places to get food and which is great
it is an awesome work place
Merchandise Sorter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 February 2018
the people there are amazing and are very helpful if you need help with something and the work environment is amazing as well there is a lot of work to be done so you are always busy and always have something to do.
It is an amazing place to work amazing people and good work environment
Merchandise Sorter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 February 2018
I would recommend to people to work here because it is an amazing work environment to be in amazing people if you ever need help they are always willing to help you with anything you may need.
customers are always amazing
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 February 2018
Loved being able to help customers and interact with them. Learned a lot about different people and loved being there to help whenever either staff or customers needed the help.
Ennuyant
Aide général (Former Employee) –  Val-belair, QC29 December 2017
Travaux communautaire , aide les gens , faire plaisir et aidé beaucoup de gens
Pros
Chose gratuit
Cons
Long
Can be fulling being a volunteer delivering food to peolple in need
Presently Volunteering (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2017
I volunteer once every 2nd week after work hours, no salary.
Indeed will not allow me to take this off my work experience since I currently still a volunteer.