St John Ambulance

St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

Need to be very flexible and willing to take on varied tasks. Wonderful opportunity to work with many different people to give back to your community
Lots to learn, and come with a strong work ethic. Some parts of the job are very physical, and you are expected to market First Aid equipment and supplies (AEDs and kits) as well as promote classes. Great team in Kelowna, I learned a lot and met some top quality people!
Pros
Stable, regular hours
Cons
Cold-calling clients and potential clients to sell products.
You're on your own, no support, no communication. Have to stay at lunch if you're running a class but not get paid. Love the students and teaching but the corporate and head office culture is horrible.
Pros
Flexibility when not in class
Cons
No support
Loved volunteering with St John Ambulance Kamloops brigade! While it can get fairly busy, you get to know so many cool people that you wouldn't have met otherwise.
Pros
Friendly environment, rewarding, you are appreciated for what you do
Cliques Back stabbing, gossiping, competitive struggle for hours Poor sanitation practised on teaching materials Some instructors teach materials (likely gleaned) from the internet - that are NOT part of process Some instructors are extreme anti-vaxxers, the classroom becomes a captive audience for their platform One raise in 10 years and the person who facilitated it, got fired Very High turnover = low morale
Pros
Couple of slices of pizza once a year
A soul sucking money grabbing bullying environment hypocritically housed in a humanitarian face - the organization is ok and do good work but the sales side is awful and the management really don’t care I understand it’s still a business but governed by a board of money hungry status seeking politics
You are judge prior to being convicted and your job is gone at a moment's notice. Poor management employee treatment very poor. Additional instruction and expect same timings or minimal extra time for the same pay.
While working for St. John Ambulance I made a lot of close friends and contacts. Everyone was friendly and cooperative. They provide you with lots of opportunities Would definitely recommend :)
I had an amazing experience working at st john ambulance in Alberta as a CSR. The organization treats all their employees with respect and they value work and family life balance. I would still be with st john ambulance if I didn't move to New Brunswick to settle down.
Pros
good benefits, great management
SJA has potential for many other options as opposed to just first aid. It is a very structured environment that promotes knowledge and integrity. Has a very strong history as well.
I work as an instructor. Just need to go through their training and pass the requirements. You have to take Standard First Aid and then take Instructor course of 5 days and then they will decide if you can start teaching right away or co-teach or observe.
Flexible with needing time off, work alone, teaching at least 2 days a week. Management is controlling. Very accusatory and blaming. Cover your butt while you work there. Different students every week so always changing, but at the same time always teaching the same information.
It was a paid volunteer position so the maximum amount of hours that I could work per week was ten but all and all, it wasn't a bad place to work for the time I was there.
I love working for this company! All employees get along wonderfully. Run by a great group of people. I work only a minimum of 12 hrs per week to help fill in gaps.
Pros
Smiles all around. Great atmosphere
Cons
nothing to say.. the front office is nice I like the people in the front office the best. it's only a volunteer position. it was fun when I would be in the community
I do not work at St. Johns Ambulance but I did learn lots of great things there about first aid and babysitting. I would definitely recommend this place.
Great place. Well organized, supportive. Caring. Progressive. This organization allows you to grow as an individual, they believe in you and care for you. They want to see you succeed not only as a employee or volunteer but as a individual.
Pros
Excellent Training, Organization, Caring, Leadership
I volunteered as a first responder with SJA in Montreal and truly appreciated the experience. I enjoyed the work environment and the potential for growth
I have been employed at St. John Ambulance for 10+ years and I have truly enjoyed working this organization! The volunteers, my co-workers and community partners are all a pleasure to work with.
This is a good organization, they try and do their best for the community. From the paid position side, very little change in the past number of year.
This job was by far the worst I've ever had. Management can be described as the blind leading the blind with all entry level positions doing the majority of the work for little money. And once they don't like you, you're fired without notice and treated like a criminal. Save your time and mental health and look elsewhere.
  1. Employee reviews