St John Ambulance Employee Reviews

Productive and a great place to learn.
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 September 2019
I do not work at St. Johns Ambulance but I did learn lots of great things there about first aid and babysitting. I would definitely recommend this place.
Medical first Responder
Acting Chief (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2019
Great place. Well organized, supportive. Caring. Progressive. This organization allows you to grow as an individual, they believe in you and care for you. They want to see you succeed not only as a employee or volunteer but as a individual.
Pros
Excellent Training, Organization, Caring, Leadership
Substantial potential for growth and professional development
First Responder (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 August 2019
I volunteered as a first responder with SJA in Montreal and truly appreciated the experience. I enjoyed the work environment and the potential for growth
Great place! Great people!
Community Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Clagary11 August 2019
I have been employed at St. John Ambulance for 10+ years and I have truly enjoyed working this organization!

The volunteers, my co-workers and community partners are all a pleasure to work with.
Volunteer position
Medical First Responder Community Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2019
This is a good organization, they try and do their best for the community. From the paid position side, very little change in the past number of year.
Waste of time
General Help (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 July 2019
This job was by far the worst I've ever had. Management can be described as the blind leading the blind with all entry level positions doing the majority of the work for little money. And once they don't like you, you're fired without notice and treated like a criminal. Save your time and mental health and look elsewhere.
productive workplace, very welcoming atmosphere
British Columbia - Logistics Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 June 2019
St. John Ambulance is a great company to work at, although I only worked there during the summer I learned that teamwork is key for success. The workplace culture is very welcoming and everybody helps whoever needs it. The most enjoyable part of working with St. John's ambulance was the encouraging atmosphere from my coworkers. The hardest part of my job was the lifting I had to do. Management was very kind they not only made sure that me and my coworkers were on task but they also offered words of encouragement.
Disfunction at head office Vancouver
Employee (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 April 2019
Admin and management are combative, defensive, hostile. Money problems are evident throughout . Broken down office equipment, broken down classroom equipment. Pay cheque is ALWAYS short with lame excuses to follow. Not following Employment Standards Act.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Read my review, do yourself a favour and stay away
Volunteer Experience Review
Medical First Responder (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 April 2019
I wanted to make a few comments about my experiences volunteering under them:

- Brigade-wise, great people to work and be with; very professional and aims to treat each other as family
- Experiences do vary when going to events we provide first aid to, but always rewarding
- Brigade level management willing to be flexible to people's needs
- Free training when volunteer hours minimums are met
- Management above brigade and brigade management appears to be dysfunctional, not communicative, and not very accommodating
- Management appears to be very money focused (looked up their tax filings, multiple charity names for same group and suspicious bookkeeping)
- Management had been known to dismiss brigade leadership and other volunteers for bringing up concerns with management

In summary it's a good organization to be in, provided that upper management changes their ways.
Pros
Free training; be part of long running organization
Cons
Bad upper management
flexible
Health and Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  Stratford, PE31 March 2019
interesting training program .flexibility in hours and travel.. educating people about their health and safety. ongoing training and good support from owner
Positive work environment
Prehospital Trauma Life Support Instructor (PHTLS) (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC10 March 2019
Positive work environment. Management offered continuous training and support to staff. Encouraging positive social and professional relationships among staff a priority to management.
Pros
Work atmosphere
Cons
job security
It had the best of times and the worst of times.
volunteer instructor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia19 February 2019
Instructing programs can be challenging as group dynamics and required time lines can often go astray.
Average 9 hr day.
Equipment is generally good condition, fellow contractors are pleasant and staff at branch ranged from stellar to dismal.
I learned that provincial often didn't hold true to their word when it came to communications. Often never replied to when questions asked.

On the volunteering side, it was great to get advanced training for free.(although a lot of people sign up get the training and cheat the system).
Went to a good many events I would never had gone to on my own.
The leadership when I was in was often a confused, arrogant, vain. New ideas and recommendations not generally accepted.
Did not hold true to their policy of abuse/respect in the organization.

Pathetic recognition for members going above and beyond the call.

It has apparently gotten better. But I won't go back.
Pros
Meeting new people and groups.
Cons
22% below national average on pay, No raises in sight.
Horrible Management
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 January 2019
Treat their employees like they are disposable, revolving door, very unprofessional inappropriate management and heard nothing but bad things from everyone who works there and how they are treated. It's absolutely disgusting how they treat their employees I've never seen anything like it in my whole working experience. Don't apply to work at St. John Ambulance in Winnipeg if you want to feel valued as an employee. Manager trash talks other employees in front of staff and has nothing but negative things to say about everything and everyone. Don't even know how she still has a job.
Pros
Cons
Mostly Management
Perfect
MFR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 November 2018
Great chance to help people in need and as well great chance to build up first aid skills. They only require a minimum amount of hours volunteered and the hours are hours you choose. Very excellent company, tons of history, great staff, and such a good time.
Pros
freedom to choose hours
Cons
sometimes events get filled up fast
It was a p/t contract maintenance job
Maintenance Sub Contractor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
Really enjoyed what I did. The hours were very flexible and was allowed to work on my own. No security. The lowest bid always won and the quality of work was never taken into consideration.
Flexible hours
Manager Finance & Admin. (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK9 November 2018
Good place to work. Provide some work life balance by allowing flexible hours. It is a not for profit organization helping Canadians to be safe at work, home and play.
Small office environment which can cause friction at times
Receptionist / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Niagara, ON19 September 2018
Awesome place to work, but being contracted one could be let go without cause with a two week notice or pay off contract. Looking for something a little more stable.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere
Cons
Not a stable job
very good
corporal (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 August 2018
very nice people and environment. it is volunteer only not a paid work. we provide first aid. it is a lot of fun. you can get higher positions and help lead as well.
Fun Workplace with BBQ
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK16 July 2018
productive
fun and enjoyable workplace
receiving phone calls registering people for different courses.
handling inquiries on phone and in-person
love to work on alliance..its very easy to operate it .
Helping others and free lunches
Medical First Responder (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 June 2018
The most enjoyable part of volunteering with St. John Ambulance is meeting lots of different people and helping others when our assistance is needed. I also enjoy the free lunches that some of the event organisers provide to us.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long hours sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at St John Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.