SSP Canada Employee Reviews

Hard fir beginners, easy for experts
Cook (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 December 2017
I'm a certified chef and I've worked at high end, fast paced, high pressured restos in the last 15 years. Working at SSP is a piece of cake.

Only downside is my coworkers aren't as experienced as me. A lot of them do not know how to fix a minor problem such as uneven heat across the griddle. I discovered the problem after a few days and went to fix it... lo and behold... even heat throughout the griddle.

Working for SSP as a cook isn't always ideal for beginners, basic knowledge and abke to work in a high pressured environment. Comparing my past employment... SSP has got to be the most simple, easiest job I've ever had. Sometimes I get bored when there are no orders but at least it gives me a good few mins to really go through the kitchen and see what can I do to make it better and easier... etc.

The managers and supervisors I've met so far have been really nice.

I'm liking it there 😊😊
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Disorganization caused by coworkers, and low salary
Time goes by quickly, if busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2018
When working for SSP candada, I got wondful hours and the pay was really. However they were not considerate of people's life after work. Management was good.
Pros
Good pay and breaks
Cons
not flexible when it comes to real life situations
Horrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 February 2019
Horrible work environment, managers treated you with little to no respect. Hr never answered the phone and when they did a lot of attitude was given..
Great
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toron24 October 2018
Good managers, very understanding, and great at motivating others. I would highly recommend working at SSP Canada. The team members they have are amazing too!
great atmosphere
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON16 November 2016
Great benefits and overall SSP has prompt managers. Working at the airport, the company has provided a clean environment with safety guidelines that are easy to follow.
milieu de restaurant comme tout autre
Restauration (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 March 2018
milieu de restaurant comme tout autre. L'organisation de l'entreprise est mal faite, mais en général, les employés et employeur sont positifs.
Pros
OPUS tarif étudiant payée
Cons
Désorganisation au niveau du personnel
stay away
Multi-Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2015
great experience, no room for advancement, under paid while working long hours.
short staffed and management.
Everybody overworked
Pros
fast paced
Cons
not appreciated, under paid
management issues, lack of direction, huge turnover rate, unprofessional supervisors
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC26 June 2017
Worked for Monk's Grill for years, we were one of the pioneers who opened this restaurant. People do come and go. Some did stay but for aspiring cooks or servers, stay away. Been given alot of empty promises. All they care about is making money and not the employees who helps them make it. Stay away.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Dragging co-workers, unprofessional managers, poor work/life balance
environement agrealble
Multi-unit Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 June 2017
Responsable de l’embauche, de la formation et de coacher les adjoints, chefs de quart et employés
Veiller à ce que les normes, procédures et objectifs soient atteints
Voir au respect des normes de préparation, de livraison, de fraicheur et de qualité des produits alimentaires
Prendre en charge le service clientèle en prêchant par l’exemple
Prendre une part active aux opérations journalières
S’assurer que l’environnement de travail soit sécuritaire
S'assurer que les inventaires sont mesurés et entretenus conformément aux politiques de l’entreprise
Assurer une bonne exploitation du restaurant
Faire la gestion des différents comptes et fournisseurs
High-strung restaurant job
Préposé au service alimentaire (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 February 2017
A typical day at work: arrive, sign in, put cash in after waiting possibly an hour for a manager or team leader to show up, serve clients, replace empty or old food, rearrange "grab and go", operate cash register, clean dishes/ any surfaces. Go for a half hour lunch break, and back to work. Hours very often go over designated shift times.. we close when we close, it's not like we can leave at 9 on the dot and leave a mess. We often finish closer to 10, 10:30. It's very fast-paced and high-stress, always moving and rushing and thinking of a million things at once.

Management is fluid. Some managers are great whereas the majority look down on you and talk to you very condescendingly, very passive-aggressively. They don't seem to realize we're humans, often telling us to do one thing after the other, even if we're not finished the first ten things they told us to do.

The people are mostly miserable and when the topic of leaving comes up, most say they're not going to last a year at all or that they're planning to leave soon.

The hardest part of the job is the very fast pace that occurs at the airport, which of course is unavoidable when working in that environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job are the people. Most are very friendly and we seem to bond over our shared pain. I've made quite a few friends here and I am not looking forward to the day I will have to leave them.
Pros
50% off one meal a day, fun people
Cons
long hours, rushes, exigent managers
it's a fun place and always a productive day.
Cashier/ Service Crew (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 January 2016
Working at SSP Canada is fun. working with different kinds of people is kinda exciting. I always enjoy working with them.the management is great. I learned lots of things everyday. The hardest part of the job is sometimes customer don't understand what we are saying and they become rude to us but we need to accept that fact cause we are on the field of customer service and customer is always right. the most enjoyable part of the job is we meet different people and we enjoy every single day that we work.
Amazing staff and great service
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 December 2017
Working for SSP as a supervisor I've met a lot of different people that share the same passion as me in serving good service and food. SSP is a great company world wide.
It was fun and fast paced
Cook (Former Employee) –  toronto on31 May 2013
It was very fast paced, you had to always be professional with the customers and make sure they felt welcomed. Co-workers were okay, they were friendly and very enthusiastic. The hardest part of the job was the overtime due to the airport being soo busy usually my 8 hour shift would turn to 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part was that you got to meet people from all over the world.
Pros
incentives, free lunch
Travaille bien
Aide-cuisinier (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC23 October 2017
J’aime bien travailler avec tout le monde je veux travailler avec plein de monde j’adore ça je soir d’être choisi je vous montrer comment je travail
Pros
J’ai bien sa
Cons
Ouais essayer dans la vie
Great service team and working environment.
Food Court Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver B.C.25 March 2014
Great teammates to work with.
Worked hard and had fun in a very pleasant environment.
Pros
Pleasant environment.
ssp
Food Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  toronto on21 April 2012
a typical day at work was standing behide a counter with a smile on my face and ready to serve customers. i would usualy make sandwichs serve tea also baking at night.. i have learned to be patient with customers. my co-workers were very diverse which i enjoyed. the hardest part of my job was dealing with people anger people. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet new people everyday.
Pros
alots of hours
travail productif
Serveuse/Caissière (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC1 September 2017
j'ai adorer mon expérience l’environnement de travaille étais très stable et accueillant .
Pros
reduction pour les employer
Cons
syndicat
Not so Productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 November 2013
Not so fun workplace. People are dragging each other down. No chance of advancement or no potential for an employee to grow and learn more.
very exhauting
COUNTER SERVER (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON15 July 2017
where i work with SSP, the place can leave you feeling mentally and physically drained. on the other hand it does have it days when everything is easy going.
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 April 2017
A typical work day requires food preparations and cleaning of the restaurant.
helping and interacting with airport passenger is the most enjoyable part of the job