SSP America Employee Reviews

Run away!!!! Terrible work life
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NY31 January 2019
They will overwork you until you get sick and keep working you without hesitation!!! Corporate upstairs treat managers like cattle. There is no support for managers or staff. HR doesn’t care about you. They are all connected upstairs so no matter what your concerns are ignored. Horrible and dis-functional company that needs to be shut down.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
No work life balance, no ops support, crazy working hours
Challenging position
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY27 January 2019
SSP America is a wonderful company to work for, with great room for growth. As a Hospitality Professional, it does lack the constant interaction with frequent "regulars". Being in an airport setting, very rarely do you have that interaction with guests on a consistent basis. It is the one thing I truly miss, knowing your guests' likes and dislikes. Creating a memorable dining experience, the trust that has been developed. Other factors can be discussed face-to-face.
An ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX18 January 2019
This company was an ok place to work, it was in the airport, so I got to meet all different types of people. There was no problems until I started school, and the manager kept making the schedules for me to be in the store at work at the times I was in school.
Nice area to work in and accessible.
Host (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 January 2019
I believe that this company is a god company. It however needs to improve on its management team and how they handle things. You are bound o encounter all type of people in the airport, which makes fro a great experience.
ssp
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ10 January 2019
The usual day at SSP America was receiving inventory, stocking the inventory. Picking orders from the warehouse,packing them, and loading and shipping to the airport restaurant.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management needs some work
Great Job
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL3 January 2019
I truly enjoyed my time here at SSP America, they taught me many skills for working in the kitchen. I was able to work alone at times and also with a group at other times.
Do not bother
Cashier. Line cook. Barista (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NY2 January 2019
I worked at JFK for a year and a half. At first the experience was good. Literally 4 days into my “training” I had my colleagues leave me and wander off by themselves or without other employees from the company or terminal. I was stolen from and no actions were taken care of. The managers overworked me and tampered with my hours. I was doing the work of 3-4 employees and getting paid for one. When I made a complaint no actions were taken. Managers were very immature and would start drama amongst staff and other managers. I do not recommend anyone apply to the John F. Kennedy Airport for SSP America.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Lack of respect. Overworked. Underpaid
Poor Management and Terrible Culture
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA30 December 2018
SMF has terrible management and treats workers poorly, rarely has enough people to cover, rarely allowed breaks and rarely had managers available to help with any work issues. Understaffing was a huge problem but what was even worse was the culture at the company. Everyone who works there is burnt out, stressed, mean or complacent. Many people violate ServSafe but reporting issues to management does nothing. Injuries at the work place are not taken seriously and rarely is there any first aid applied by anyone if injuries do occur. There is never a quiet moment and service is ongoing and never ending, which meant breaks where rare and many times we where unable to take our 15 and our 30s where pushed back to the 5th hour. Demand on the understaffed employees meant we rarely rested, rarely left our stations and rarely where able to complete other tasks unless we stayed extra time. I swear management was also not reporting our hours right and under paying us. I wouldn't work here again unless I was paid $15 an hour.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
no breaks, bad management, poor food quality standards, super fast paced, 10 minute walk from the employee parking lot to the terminals
just work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 9210120 December 2018
clock in , start cleaning the line , stocking the line etc, while the other cooks chill and text ,they dont care they onl work when a manager comes or a ticket comes in
Practice what you preach
BUSINESS UNIT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 8503414 December 2018
All in all everyone that is a unit manager are great people. The problem lies with the ops team. There is little or no support for the managers. It was run like a dictatorship. If you disagree you won't last long.

Want to know more about SSP America?

Ask a question
Great place of peace
Dishwasher/ Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI11 December 2018
It was a relaxing environment. It was major gossip throughout the employees, but great place to work, meet like-minded people and be yourself. A person can truly grow mentally, but not necessary financially at the milwaukee location.
Pros
The experience of knowledge
Cons
Lack of communications in some areas
not a very good work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX8 December 2018
a typical day at work was busy. The management was unfair and always yelling .The workplace was clean ton of different backgrounds. The hardest part was nit enough hours.
Pros
work with great people
Cons
healthcare
Fast paced
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Queens, NY2 December 2018
It in the airport so it’s fast pace the management is at time all of the place pick and choice when they do work . Always under staff they great thing union is involved
Pros
Hours flexible schedule good benefits
Cons
Poor management and unorganized
Productive work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WI30 November 2018
Pretty fun place to work as long as you get the job done. Not much room for many mistakes but the job is almost fool proof. I recomend this job to people that are trying to broaden their horizons
Restaurant Work
Cook (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 November 2018
Fast paced airport work. They treat you like you don't know what you are doing sometimes when actually they don't have a clue what is really needed. It is frustrating.
Pros
Free Food
Most managers suck
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ13 November 2018
They just fired me so the wouldn't have to pay me back pay of $3300.They wrote me up for 2 things,so they wouldn't have to pay me, which i hadn't been written up for before.Neither of which were a immediate fire offences.One was leaving early which I was told i could do by manager.Training where i worked was extremely poor,hourly worker's usually know more than managers.I intend on getting that money as well.
Don’t recommend it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ9 November 2018
I personally didn’t like this company because I was pregnant and had to like things way more then my weight limit and my managers were never around. I really did not appreciate that.
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NV7 November 2018
Make sure your cash drawer accurate make sure was stock make sure you greated guest with a smile on your face. Management was really immature they need actual adult managers than adult children managers.
Very nice people to work with.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA7 November 2018
Very professional. They will let you learn your role and will be flexible with your professional growth. I have been working for a.month and learned a.lot about being a barista at the airport.
Well run
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA5 November 2018
Very well run organization. Sever great concepts withing the San Diego Airport. Drawbacks, management although very good, very hard to find. Clean and fun.
Pros
well run
Cons
hard to find management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SSP America. Our community is ready to answer.