SQUAMISH NATION

• Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Needs Overhaul

After working at the nation for 5 years, it was evident this place goes through ups and downs in terms of work environment, depending on who is on Council, who works at HR and which families or individuals are in charge. Things started off excellent but with the hiring of a new manager that had no experience in the area things slowly went downhill. People are nice but lack the skills to do the job efficiently. HR seemed to have limited hiring choices and was often short staffed themselves making hiring difficult. The environment can get toxic fast and bullying is commonplace. Management can either partake in it or ignore it depending on position. Many non nation members and non-first nations employees being hired that have no experience on how to work with indigenous people.

Pros

Salaries were Improving and Flexibilty was great.

Cons

Manager Incompetence and Nepotism

Collaborative work environment

I appreciated educational opportunities provided, staff wellness days & a living wage. Staff worked collaboratively and closely with families on reserve

Pros

Great benefits

Decent Place to work

The supervisors are pretty reasonable, the salary is decent but comes with benefits life insurance and sick days for permanent workers, very community oriented.

Great!

I only did it for one summer of work experience. I loved working with the kids they’re amazing! Steady schedule all summer which was great! Didn’t get paid as it was volunteer work but I loved it!

All in your last name

These people do not accept those that are off reserve First Nations. You are given minimum wage even with years of experience. IF you are blessed with the right last name, you do not need experience, you will get the job, and at twice the minimum wage pay.

Pros

Cons

Nobody likes you

Flexible and engaging work place

I liked the people who trained us and everyone there you met whether it was the office people or lunch ladies, everyone had a smile. I was being trained to learn a whole bunch of skills such as my first aid level 1, fall protection, boomlift, and Ariel lift, and my WHMS. It was everyday weekday from 8-3. I got about $800 every 2 weeks.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

In the hot sun everyday

great team players

even the you work alone you always have a RN to turn to,you get to see your clients all the time , love the team meetings , the management is awesome in all aspects of life.the hardest part is loosing a client . what I have taken away from this experience is the Quality of life is what you give to your clients and how you are with yourself in whole.

Pros

steady work always

Great Place to work

Bosses have been great! It has been a great place to work. Very family oriented. Bosses actually care for your well being. Staff is very friendly. This is a great place.

Was a good work place for me, good enviroment.

I had a great time workimg for my nation over the years, it was a good work environment and the people I worked with were really easy to work with. All in all it was a good experience.

Pros

Good work enviroment, great coworkers

Every Day Business

There is a major amount of office politics to deal with. The people that work here are related to each other directly, and they do not like new faces, or new ideas floating around them. They attack in groups, and they do not work for the cause at hand. They blame others, and do not take responsibility for their actions. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people we were actually working for.

Pros

Working with people

Cons

Working with people in the office

Productive and fun workplace

It was a first in terms of securing employment with a First Nations government agency run by an outstanding team of educated leaders inspired to create a better life for their team. Truly an honour.

Meet a new challenge daily. Never boring.

eight hour day. learned to coordinate several agencies to move in the same direction to get a job done. i.e. municipal services, environmental standards met, Provincial and Federal criterial met in order for a project to move forward. Worked with professionals on a daily basis e.g. civil engineers, environmental consultants, CGA- Accountants, Municipal Engineers, worked with other department heads as required.

Pros

Meeting with exciting, positive like minded people.

Cons

the job, although not required, turned into a 24/7 job. Considering I live in the community I work in, it's inevitable to run in to a client or co-worker after hours.

Very nice place to work - interaction with all Cliental- and co-workers

typical regular day is awesome smiling faces first thing in the am also interaction from co-workers friendlyness - professional-

Pros

close to home - no commuting

Cons

wage

Aboriginal corruption at its worst

Sadly a very poor example of an Aboriginal agency being hypocritical as staff have poor professional boundaries, time managment and professionalism yet expect that from staff. Several Squamish Nation members of staff have reported lateral violence in the work place. If you fit in with the click and do as they say, not as they do you will be fine. Otherwise find a healthy organisation that treats all of its members fairly, respectfully and with compassion.

Quiet and productive

a typical day start out with a meeting with supervisor, to plan out the tasks I will be performing example researched and recorded information on employees for pay role, using excel 2013. Filed Faxed documents to proper departments, answered phone calls, cleaned working areas and took out the garbage

Pros

easy going

Cons

starting time not always the same

This is a great place to work, I worked for Ayes Men men child and Family Services

This was a great place to work, staff supported one another, and more importantly the Executive director Kelly Mc Renolds was very supportive of her staff and moving the agency forward to esnureing children are safe, protected and by First Nations.

Great place to work with good benifits

Great bunch of folks to work with. I managed the Environment & Natural Resource Department for Squamish Nation so my job would consist of 50% field work and 50% Office work. Everyday was a different day and never knew what new and exciting challenges awaited me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SQUAMISH NATION. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement