SPUD.ca Employee Reviews

Poor Warehouse Management, Very Little Opportunity
N/A (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2019
I was an employee for nearly 2 years. I was let go for reasons related to personal growth. The management in the warehouse was not particularly motivational, and seemed more focused on what was done wrong than what was done right. Front office staff were wonderful people, and provided a very positive environment. I never had any evidence in front of me that I might be let go, and the opportunities for advancement or change in position over the course of two years were at best few and far between. Those who have not been here for an extended period of time are, as in many places, the most likely to be let go. Job security and advancement, on top of management that seemed to lack the understanding of how employees viewed the workplace were the largest challenges.
Pros
Free food when items are written off, Wonderful front office staff.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities, inexperienced management.
Great work environment, but a bit disorganized.
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2019
So much fun to work there! The people are amazing. Work culture is great - really fun, down-to-earth, and unique. Everyday work tasks are a bit disorganized and chaotic though.
Poor management
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 January 2019
I've tried the position of driver for a short period of time and it was really disappointing. At every shift I had a different problem (no vehicle assigned, problem with the vehicle, etc ) that need to be solved by a manager or a supervisor. I had absolutely no clue who was on service neither the staff in the warehouse and I had to find out on my own where he was on a two story building with no key card to access any section of it. No phone number on the work cell phone to contact any of them. I was waisting so much time at the start of my shift to answer those questions that I could haven invested it in the main purpose of my job. Almost every employees was seems annoy that I asked them to help me. I never received a hello or a smile coming to work. Neither any feedbacks from the management. It have no atmosphere in the company. Also the vehicle could be better maintain. Overall a disappointing experience and I hope they will change how they run their delivery department because it's a chaos. Good luck!
dont work here if you value your time
Graveyard packer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 November 2018
not the best job to work at. they withheld my benefits card because of oneidentification that was too unreadable for them that I couldn't even get replaced because I was working nights. isn't worth the stuff they put you through and they now have implemented a new system that has current employees overworking themselves and they're just losing money left and right. they call in temporary workers and are so desperate to keep people that most are not learning from their mistakes and not up to the standard they say they want for speed of packing and they still keep them on. most of the day time staff is older employees that have been working there for years and get upset at the smallest changes including if they are put in the fridge instead of the station they want to be at. there's been issues with one of the older employees who is literally just ignored whenever he does something that makes a newer employee uncomfortable and most of the management just avoids talking to him. they don't take care of their employees and if you want any decent discounts it's for their already expired be fresh salads and meals. 13$ an hour is not enough for this job and the only people being paid a decent wage are management and the people who have been there for 10+ years. everyone is unhappy and overworked.
Cons
long hours, bad pay, poor management
temporary
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 October 2018
i work spud.ca through Destination company who provides jobs to those who need and i am one from them.i work on night from 11:00 pm to 7:00am three days.
Sustainable company that is changing the world!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Vancouver13 September 2018
The company is very committed to causing a positive impact on the world, in an industry mostly focused on scraping profits and hiding food waste...SPUD is a place you can be yourself and thrive - all sorts are welcome and different perspectives are encouraged! It's a rapidly growing company that is super exciting to be a part of. It's also really cool how much SPUD hires / promotes from within, many of our coworkers in the office in the office started in the warehouse, delivery team, or in customer service. Upward mobility is very much a thing here.

Salaries are not high compared to other companies, but that is to be expected - big corporations that suck to work at have to bribe you with $$, but it's really fun working at SPUD so that isn't needed here. As a small(ish) company sometimes you have to take on more than your job title, but depending on who you are that can be a good or bad thing. You have to work hard to not tons of money, but at the end of the day you go home satisfied you're making a positive impact on the world.

Overall this is way more rewarding than my last job which was super corporate and evil!
Pros
Promotes from within, tons of opportunity to grow, on-the-job training, good benefits after 90 days, and 20% discount on food isn't too bad either!
Cons
Smallish company, so sometimes take on more than your job title
fun
Flyer Distributor (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 August 2018
Had done it with my friends handing out flyers was enjoyable. It got a little difficult because we started to get tired. Going house to house in the cold weather with no car was a struggle.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fairly laid back but often disorganized in warehouse
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 June 2018
Fairly high turnover rate of warehouse staff and delivery staff. Although some delivery drivers have been there for many years, lately the newer drivers don't stick around very long.
Warehouse staff are often behind schedule and under staffed which is frustrating for drivers as 2-3 hour backlogs can be common.
Pros
Health and Dental benefits after 3 months
Cons
warehouse is often behind schedule
Brutal. Exhausting. Avoid.
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 May 2018
First the positive: the people there are pretty awesome.

However if you don’t want to be very underpaid compared to industry standard for a more brutal workload, death of a work/life balance, and unrealistic expectations, I would avoid.

It’s not a driving job. It’s’more of a haul heavy bins every few feet job and also a garbage man position, having to take and clean out other people’s used bins full of trash.

And the expectation as to what you can get done per hour isn’t realistic, especially downtown.

You don’t get a set off time, so good luck making plans and keeping them. And lunch breaks? HA!

Run.
Pros
Flexible schedule for days off
Cons
No off time. No breaks. Brutally physical. Poor pay.
One of the filthest kitchen ever.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC28 March 2018
Do not work in there commissary kitchen it is by far one of the filthest I've ever seen..and this is a production kitchen.. especially the dish\prep area.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Tight work environment
very good workspace
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 March 2018
Easy work space because of very approachable management. they are super understanding of personal time needed off and are very flexible to your schedule and what you need. also willing to adapt the job according to your physical needs
Wonderful company to work for.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 January 2018
Its a very good and supportive business where everyone work together as a team. as a driver, I am responsible for deliveries and customers are always pleased.
Pros
Supportive employers and co workers.
Cons
Sometimes hour fluctuate
not a good place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2017
Hope nobody takes a job there your treated like idiots management are awful they don't have a clue how to run a company if you decide to take a job you'll soon find out if you have an opinion your out the door
Pros
Cons
very short hours
AP Position
AP Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 December 2017
High Turn Over and Unprofessional People
Worst IT Issues
Dogs and Food in Office, But No Janitors
3 Male and Female Toilets for 100 People
100-year-old AP Manual Process
A lot of papers
Pros
Fresh Products
n/a
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 November 2017
SPUD is a sustainable company that is focused on local and organic produce delivery to client's homes. I've had a good rapport with the other employees in that company and the clients are always pleased with SPUD.
Fun place to work with a changing scenery everyday.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2017
A typical day as delivery driver involves:
-helping the warehouse finish the packs
-loading your pack, as well as other drivers
-collecting invoices and logging into route on work phone
-delivering all orders within a time limit
-sorting bins that were picked up from previous weeks

The hardest part of the job is driving in the winter at tough locations, and being able to locate all deliveries.
Pros
On your own all day
Cons
Solitary work
good place to work if your values are aligned
Office (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2017
I worked at SPUD for about 3 years.

The best parts were the people, and the business itself, because it's something that I care about, and I liked being around similar people. I also liked the casual environment, opportunities to grow/transfer, and the growth was exciting to be part of. It's definitely a start up environment, so best for millennials, or someone who works well in that type of set up.

What wasn't ideal was the lack of space, and a higher salary couldn't have hurt.
Pros
discount, free fruit, employees, growth
Overworked, underpaid, management are rude
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2017
Worked here for 6-7 months- they will offer you pay that is barely better than minimum wage (currently offering just shy of 14, when the minimal wage is 13.70) to bust your butt all day, management is contemptuous and rude, no opportunity for advancement and everyone is always on edge.
Pros
Some of the coworkers are cool
Cons
Hours are unreliable, management is lazy and smug, cold environment, not enough pay for hard work
Not a receptive or creative environment
Packer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 October 2016
I've been with Spud for over two years. Number one, they do not take advice from they're employes, and they claim they do so.
Some of us have lots of experience working with high production facilities. Why not listen?
Instead, they continue on their way ignoring good advice and ignore "other" ideas. They seem to be complacent in their own ideas and remind me of a pyramid scheme . It's all about , sell,sell,sell .
Employees come and go, they never seem to wonder why.
I've seen many come and go, and have heard many suggestions, but all fall on deaf ears, as they act like they are the smartest
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
A high volume environment with out care to detail
Cheerful but hectic workplace
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2015
A good place to work. I reported to a particularly supportive Manager who exhibited great faith in his subordinates despite having a massive workload. Excellent staff. Day to day operations were very hectic and slightly confused due to being a new, cutting edge type of company.
Pros
Benefits, staff discount.
Cons
Loud and hectic envira=onment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPUD.ca. Our community is ready to answer.