SPUD.ca

SPUD.ca Employee Reviews

Canada35 reviews
Easy job with low pay
Easiest job I've ever had, but the pay is so low you can make a living. Vehicles are a little janky, but it's nice. to. spend. a whole shift alone. Work phones are supplied with a dispatch app which literally holds your hand, tells you all the information you need and gps from one delivery location to the next.
Good
It was good to work with spud.ca, people their working are so good and comfortable to work with and that was very Friendly enviornment. They give sufficient break to take some food
Be watchful.
If you apply to work as a Driver or warehouse person, be on the lookout and don't feel pressured to do things that you know makes no sense to do. Speak your mind, and don't let people say no to you.
Want to say nice things but really cant.
Worked there for years as a delivery driver. Bo raises. After many years was still making under industry standard. Witnessed verbal abuse from managment... funding was so bad they apparently couldn't even buy toilet paper... let alone fix the badly aging damaged delivery vehicles. No breaks... if your good at the job expect to do the work of others who cannot do theirs
fast paced and stressful
The faster you work the less money you made - but the more time you took the more you were scolded for taking too much time.

not worth driving for the little money y0u made and for my transportation system

did let us take vans home if we worked the next day
Truly a bait and switch company
Spud has been the worst employer in my personal experience. You will be hard pressed to get a wage over 15$/ hr, management does not respect time off and won't hesitate to contact you on your days off.

Management are not properly trained in OHS safety and ignore bullying in the work place and have no follow through on workers concerns. They refuse to update proper equipment and have little respect for warehouse workers.

The entire warehouse is in constant tension and has been the most negative environment I have worked in.

The benefits however are quite good,
Pros
Some cool warehouse staff
Cons
Negative work environment, little wage for hard work
Run. Run far away.
Do you like being yelled at? Do you enjoy being belittled? Does getting injured on a weekly basis thrill you? Do you love working beneath utterly incompetent people? Does being threatened to be sent home or fired constantly just get you going?

Then SPUD Vancouver is perfect for you!

This dangerous and idiotic warehouse welcomes you with open arms and angry hearts.

Enjoy working at SPUD for as long as you can tolerate. I know I did!
Pros
Benefits, ok hours
Cons
Incompetent management, dangerous work environment, Constant threats, overworked, smelly
Irresponsible and dishonest
This company has a lot of promotional material that makes it seem like an awesome company to work for, but they don't follow through on most of what they say. They don't seem to value my safety or my health, and most of the other people that I speak with feel the same way. They moved everybody to their new warehouse location (where safety equipment is required) and expect people to work without safety equipment. When I brought up my concerns to leadership, they argued but changed nothing. In debates they're willing to say pretty much anything to get their way.
Pros
Benefits for employees over 24 hours a week
Cons
Long hours, stressful environment, irresponsible leadership, unsafe working conditions, dishonest communication
Worst job ever
If you want to waste your time come and work for SPUD.CA
No management!!! It's their way or highway. No respect to their employees. The work schedule is how it suits SPUD and so on.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Everything is cons
Good Company
I get to work by myself when driving but still get to be social when delivering customers bins. Everyone is nice to work with. Packs are not always ready on time which can cause delays and be frustrating.
Pros
Great people, B Corp
Cons
Warehouse can be behind
good environment.
we can learn various things while doing work there. Everyday learn new skills and how to do work in team,get new knowledge anout the variety of products.
Pros
free food
Cons
nothing
It was good.
They knew I was a student and I was able to get a flexible work week. I started at the bottom, gave some effort and was given opportunities to go further. There are some cool people who work there and I respect those cool people. Sometimes it gets stressful, but what job doesn't?
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
questionable delivery vans, wear good shoes
Poor Warehouse Management, Very Little Opportunity
I was an employee for nearly 2 years. I was let go for reasons related to personal growth. The management in the warehouse was not particularly motivational, and seemed more focused on what was done wrong than what was done right. Front office staff were wonderful people, and provided a very positive environment. I never had any evidence in front of me that I might be let go, and the opportunities for advancement or change in position over the course of two years were at best few and far between. Those who have not been here for an extended period of time are, as in many places, the most likely to be let go. Job security and advancement, on top of management that seemed to lack the understanding of how employees viewed the workplace were the largest challenges.
Pros
Free food when items are written off, Wonderful front office staff.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities, inexperienced management.
Great work environment, but a bit disorganized.
So much fun to work there! The people are amazing. Work culture is great - really fun, down-to-earth, and unique. Everyday work tasks are a bit disorganized and chaotic though.
Poor management
I've tried the position of driver for a short period of time and it was really disappointing. At every shift I had a different problem (no vehicle assigned, problem with the vehicle, etc ) that need to be solved by a manager or a supervisor. I had absolutely no clue who was on service neither the staff in the warehouse and I had to find out on my own where he was on a two story building with no key card to access any section of it. No phone number on the work cell phone to contact any of them. I was waisting so much time at the start of my shift to answer those questions that I could haven invested it in the main purpose of my job. Almost every employees was seems annoy that I asked them to help me. I never received a hello or a smile coming to work. Neither any feedbacks from the management. It have no atmosphere in the company. Also the vehicle could be better maintain. Overall a disappointing experience and I hope they will change how they run their delivery department because it's a chaos. Good luck!
dont work here if you value your time
not the best job to work at. they withheld my benefits card because of oneidentification that was too unreadable for them that I couldn't even get replaced because I was working nights. isn't worth the stuff they put you through and they now have implemented a new system that has current employees overworking themselves and they're just losing money left and right. they call in temporary workers and are so desperate to keep people that most are not learning from their mistakes and not up to the standard they say they want for speed of packing and they still keep them on. most of the day time staff is older employees that have been working there for years and get upset at the smallest changes including if they are put in the fridge instead of the station they want to be at. there's been issues with one of the older employees who is literally just ignored whenever he does something that makes a newer employee uncomfortable and most of the management just avoids talking to him. they don't take care of their employees and if you want any decent discounts it's for their already expired be fresh salads and meals. 13$ an hour is not enough for this job and the only people being paid a decent wage are management and the people who have been there for 10+ years. everyone is unhappy and overworked.
Cons
long hours, bad pay, poor management
temporary
i work spud.ca through Destination company who provides jobs to those who need and i am one from them.i work on night from 11:00 pm to 7:00am three days.
Sustainable company that is changing the world!
The company is very committed to causing a positive impact on the world, in an industry mostly focused on scraping profits and hiding food waste...SPUD is a place you can be yourself and thrive - all sorts are welcome and different perspectives are encouraged! It's a rapidly growing company that is super exciting to be a part of. It's also really cool how much SPUD hires / promotes from within, many of our coworkers in the office in the office started in the warehouse, delivery team, or in customer service. Upward mobility is very much a thing here.

Salaries are not high compared to other companies, but that is to be expected - big corporations that suck to work at have to bribe you with $$, but it's really fun working at SPUD so that isn't needed here. As a small(ish) company sometimes you have to take on more than your job title, but depending on who you are that can be a good or bad thing. You have to work hard to not tons of money, but at the end of the day you go home satisfied you're making a positive impact on the world.

Overall this is way more rewarding than my last job which was super corporate and evil!
Pros
Promotes from within, tons of opportunity to grow, on-the-job training, good benefits after 90 days, and 20% discount on food isn't too bad either!
Cons
Smallish company, so sometimes take on more than your job title
fun
Had done it with my friends handing out flyers was enjoyable. It got a little difficult because we started to get tired. Going house to house in the cold weather with no car was a struggle.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Fairly laid back but often disorganized in warehouse
Fairly high turnover rate of warehouse staff and delivery staff. Although some delivery drivers have been there for many years, lately the newer drivers don't stick around very long.
Warehouse staff are often behind schedule and under staffed which is frustrating for drivers as 2-3 hour backlogs can be common.
Pros
Health and Dental benefits after 3 months
Cons
warehouse is often behind schedule
Brutal. Exhausting. Avoid.
First the positive: the people there are pretty awesome.

However if you don’t want to be very underpaid compared to industry standard for a more brutal workload, death of a work/life balance, and unrealistic expectations, I would avoid.

It’s not a driving job. It’s’more of a haul heavy bins every few feet job and also a garbage man position, having to take and clean out other people’s used bins full of trash.

And the expectation as to what you can get done per hour isn’t realistic, especially downtown.

You don’t get a set off time, so good luck making plans and keeping them. And lunch breaks? HA!

Run.
Pros
Flexible schedule for days off
Cons
No off time. No breaks. Brutally physical. Poor pay.