Sprott Shaw College

Sprott Shaw College Employee Reviews

Canada71 reviews
Love the job
I love the job and the work/home balance it offers. Only downside are the wages less than the entry level wage of the profession I teach. Great staff, lots of fun and support.
Poor quality and standard of education
Do your due diligence before signing up for this school to study. You may be trapped in the middle of the program believing that you are qualified and then you are not, after they have taken your money. Students complain of disorganized staff and instructors not knowing what to teach or were not qualified to teach. Directors who weren't supportive because they have been pressured by upper management, turns out to be having poor managerial skills. The quality of education is compromised due to the need to reach the numbers.
Amazing college to work for
I have been with Sprott Shaw for over 2 years now. It a an amazing college to work for. The management team is very supportive and fair. Never missed or delayed reviews.
Pros
Amazing compensation, well organized management, lots of room to grow
Cons
Need more perks like upass for employees
Money is terrible and they don’t keep the good caring Instructors
Although I loved Instructing, you couldn’t survive on the money and were expected to work for unpaid hours. Those Instructors that cared and were good at their job always left due to no feeling like your quality of life mattered and that you couldn’t survive on the salary and that management didn’t care.
Multi-million profit company but low salary for instructors
low wage offered to instructors
low retention rate of instructors

frequent change of HR management

profit-oriented and limited support for professional development of staff
staff is very friendly
I am fortunate that, i Have a job with SSC, The management is very supportive, well organized and very resptectful towards their employees.
They have done a great job with the LPN students.
A great company to work for
I had a fantastic time working at Sprott Shaw College. I had just finished school, and this company gave me a chance to jump start my career right out of school.

I really wish I could have stayed with the company, but financially it didn't make sense for me to stay. All the management were great to work with, and I really learned a lot working with them.
Very cooperative and flexible
It was lovely to work with other teachers.Coleagues were very friendly.Management is also helpful and kind.
However,there is little or no chance for getting into regular teaching. A good temporary job.
Great company to work for for a happy work and home life
Sprott Shaw celebrates often, company anniversaries, special events, new programs, advancements, new staff,new students, new ideas.

An evolving company for an every changing world
Great workplace culture
Great workplace culture; fun place to work with great people. People with good work ethics, lots or initiative, and the ability to work with people from various background would be great characteristics for people to succeed in this workplace. If you know your duties and responsibilities, and you are responsible and accountable, you are left to do your job without being micro-managed.
Great, Knowledgeable school
I have learned a lot here, all the teachers are very helpful. I feel confident to head out into the workforce. My teacher ensures to spend extra time helping us in any areas we feel we need extra help and he answers all questions we have about heading into the field.
Community Orientented and Student Focused
Sprott College since the time I started has been very supportive and team oriented. One of the many reason's working here has been a positive experience, has been the focus on the student. The college and the East Vancouver Campus from all staff and Instructors is very focused on the success support of the student throughout their academics. The East Vancouver campus is very community oriented and is continuously finding ways to reach out to those in need around the Vancouver area.
Pros
Community Oriented, Student Support and Success focused and thrives through working as a team
Amazing staff and work environment
Working at the East Vancouver campus is always a treat. The campus is very community oriented and works with our students to ensure they receive support and guidance through their entire program. The Director of the campus keeps the staff motivated with her positivity and makes sure staff feel respected and heard. Overall the campus is a fun and enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Director, community events, positive environment
Cons
Lower Salary
Do not work here. Do not study here.
This is an immensely corrupt company. There is absolutely nothing you will gain from employment there. You will lose years of your career not having the tools, support or capability to do your job. Your compensation will be the lowest possible and you will not be paid according to the law.

As a student, you will feel that you have transferable skills, but you don’t. It’s all smoke and mirrors. You will be completely unequipped to enter the field of work you hope for. At best, you will end up in an entry level, minimum wage administrative role.

Do yourself a favour, ignore this “school” as an option for education or employment. Go elsewhere and be valued and treated with respect and integrity.

Take my word or don’t. It’s at your own peril.
Pros
Understanding how bad things can be
Cons
Having to endure it to learn your lesson
A great opportunity
It is a great opportunity to work for Sprott Shaw (Seymour-Vancouver) as an Instructor. This job satisfies my passion for teaching, it provides a good balance between having the freedom to plan for the course as well having resources available. The director/assistant director has created a warm, friendly, respectful and professional environment, therefore it is a joy to be at work. This job position can have longer working hours, outside of class time, however, because of the welcoming environment I do not mind that. Also, spending more time at the campus helps me stay connected with other instructors. Another great part of the campus is the open communication that is between the instructors and the directors, so that everyone is on the same page, in addition to monthly meetings. Throughout my experience, I am getting better at finding the balance between work and personal life. Also, learning about different cultures of students and finding the best techniques and methods that work well for their learning.
Pros
workshops and professional instructional days
Evolving and Growing
Since I've worked here I have witnessed many positive changes with benefits, increased staffing levels, and management wanting to get feedback from employees.

The best thing about my job? I get to meet great people, each with unique story, with a desire to become a "better version of themselves".

With each student you register, and see graduate, you are able to reflect the hope-buildling and support to the person sitting across from you. So many people have overcome so many challenges and have found gratifying employment.

Each campus has its own feel - like a family - and we work in tandem to make it a great place to work, and a great place to learn. By the way, you will NEVER stop learning in this position! NEVER.

Every job has its paperwork and this one certainly does as well as achieving targets. So the person who is the best fit for this is a well-rounded communicator. Follow the protocols, stay positive, remain open and follow your heart. (The paperwork comes after :)
LPN program
best college to work for. The LPN program is well organized to prepare the students for the success for in nursing career. College works hard to find a good places for the clinicals so that student can practice all the their nursing skills
Pros
The management is well experinced
Cons
none that I can point out with my limited experience
Great company and culture!!
I am an instructor with Sprott Shaw College at the Seymour location, downtown. I've been with the company for four years and love it. Our campus has a wonderful community feel. We all work together and support each other. We are unique and different in our own ways and still feel connected and valued. Management is very approachable and open to communication and feedback. The company offers benefits to full-time and part-time employees. Sprott Shaw College promotes professional development and pays for the instructors to further educate themselves and be the best they can be. I am a full- time salary employee and feel secure and happy. I can balance my work life and family life without feeling stressed or overwhelmed. I have been given opportunities to challenge myself, work on projects and further grow. I feel that this company cares about me and acknowledges my hard work and loyalty. I also appreciate the social culture dimension. We support Mental Health on various levels, staff, student and community. We stand out for what we believe in and make a difference in the world. I actually feel very blessed to be a part of this company and look forward to what my future holds.
Pros
Opportunities for growth
Productive and fun work place
Kept busy everyday. Answer enquiries over the phone and from students. Enter files on system, print transcripts, create student accounts for printing documents. Management helpful. Workplace culture is good. Helping students to achieve their goals.
A great workplace starts with a great team
A good team creates a great culture that inspires you to do your best.

Having a consistent management style that allows for mentor-ship and growth within the company inspires team members to focus more on the work they are doing.
Great People and Great Culture
I have been with Sprott Shaw for 10 years and it is the people and the culture that makes it an amazing place to work. With locations all over BC it makes job mobility and progression a real possibility.
Pros
Strong Company Culture, Opportunity for growth
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sprott Shaw College. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9