Sprott Shaw College Employee Reviews

Your honesty and hard work is not appreciated
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 May 2018
I started there as an advisor, I did over time which wasn't paid or even appreciated. They call it open door work culture but people are manipulative. I was honest to show what things were going on and I was the one who paid for it.

Total waste of time, efforts and energy.
The worst experience ever!!!
International Department (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2018
Management pushing you to work over time, never paid for it. Never take this job, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!! Impossible to get any vacation or sick day.
Pros
Free chinese food :)
Cons
working hours never ends. No off days. only work
Working at Sprott Shaw College-Victoria
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 March 2018
Sprott Shaw College has provided me with outstanding and supportive on the job training as well as amazing professional development opportunities.

This company values its employees and their contributions. Best thing I've done professionally was to start working here.
Pros
Professional development
Very toxic workplace
HCA Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2018
The job of the instructors goes beyond the hours you are paid for. If the students are unhappy with their mark they will run to the administrator like little babies and put the blame on the instructor. There is no support from the administrator for you as an instructor. They will increase your class size and expect you to work the same hours and manage all the marking and there is a lot of marking! You are responsible for all the photocopying for the class and often times the photocopier jams and you are expected to figure it out.
Very poor administrative support😝
Pros
I enjoyed sharing my knowledge of my industry.
Cons
Many
Change is Good
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 February 2018
Flexible scheduling, great for part-time or supplement work. Staff is supportive with a good community attitude. New faculty staff are supportive with positive change for the campus.
Pros
Close to downtown, staff parking, advancing education program
perfect fit for casual / part time
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 February 2018
The campus at Victoria offers small class sizes and lets instructors engage with each student as an individual. The college is committed to seeing everyone succeed (staff and students). Options for part time / casual employment are great for work life balance. Sport Shaw offers ongoing staff education / training. Changes and improvement to curriculum / classroom / lab experiences always welcome. Great place to make a difference!
Fast paced rewarding environment
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2018
Each day we have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.

We get to celebrate student success and cheer on students to find their passion and purpose
Pros
opportunity of advancement
Supportive Working Environment
Director (Current Employee) –  BC16 January 2018
Sprott Shaw has given me the opportunity to expand my skill set under encouraging and supportive management. I get to work with a knowledgeable team that pushes each other to be better than they were yesterday. The best part of my job is interacting with the students and celebrating their success. It is amazing how many staff have been worked for the college for over 10 years.
Pros
Amazing team of dedicated staff
Work to get experience only place
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 January 2018
Work here to gain experience then leave if you can. Management is a joke. Benefits barely cover anything plus it keeps changing as it’s based on how long you have worked there for as well as new employees get the short end of the stick.
Vacation time is a joke. 2 weeks for the first 5 years of employment.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
People you work for
A place where they value your ideas
Vice President of Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 December 2017
I had a great time working at Sprott Shaw College.

They allowed me to implement every strategy I came up with.

Great relationships were acquired. I still talk to some of the people that used to work with me.
Pros
Life Balance
Cons
Low salary and lots of work and responsibilities
enjoy all the coworkers
Electrical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 December 2017
A very challenging but rewarding career. Great people and environment. The college is very forward thinking. The manager is extremely helpful and very respectful of the education of electricians. The coworkers are professional and extremely helpful at all levels.
Enjoyed my time there
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2017
I found working for Sprott Shaw a wonderful experience.
Hands down, the students were one of the best parts of the job, yet the work atmosphere was like family. I will miss my time there.
Students were wonderful, but there was no place for new teachers to make their mark. Politics and poor pay, micromanaging in the PN program.
Practical Nursing Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Just don't do it! The students were wonderful, but this was no place for new teachers. They preach they invest in you and get you to agree to take courses on your own time, for no pay. New teachers are unable to make their mark or feel a part of the team. Even after professional development days. Politics and poor pay, micromanaging in the PN program. This is a job not worth your investment. You can do better!
Pros
Downtown location
Cons
Long hours, poor pay and compensation
18 January 2018

Thank you for the feedback! We're under new leadership and our new President is keen to make improvements where necessary. We're moving forward and changes are being made across the company. We are so excited for what the future holds. All the best in your future endeavours!

just say no !!
nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 October 2017
do not work here, you will regret it . lowest paid nursing job out there , your students will make more than you on graduation. long hours , poor management . lots and lots of personal problems amongst staff
run run run away from this job please . !!!!
18 January 2018

Thank you for the feedback! We're under new leadership and changes are being made across the company, from curriculum to operations. Please keep in touch and all the best in your future endeavours!

Valued Member of the Education Community
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 September 2017
Working at Sprott Shaw as an Instructor has been very rewarding. I have found the culture of Sprott Shaw to be increasingly positive with merit, professional development days and advancement within the company a strong value. Employees spoke and management listened. I feel valued and a respected part of the team.
Pros
Merit
Overall a great place to work
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 September 2017
Sprott Shaw was an amazing place to work! Staff were all professional and friendly. Pay could have been better, but you gain work/life balance, flexibility and low stress.
Pros
Work/life balance, low stress, great people
Cons
Wages could improve
Horrible management culture
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 June 2017
Co-workers and students are very pleasant for the most part, but stress arises once newbies realize that all is not well. It's all about convincing potential students to give this place their money.

Stay away!
Pros
Co-workers and students are positives
Cons
Management is horrid, making money is everything.
18 January 2018

Thank you for feedback! There have been significant management changes, including a new President, since your time here and improvements are being made across the company. We do appreciate your input and feel free to drop by anytime. Wishing you all the best with your career.

It was time for me to move.
Senior Administrator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 May 2017
Good people to work with, I enjoyed my time there. The student's are the best part of the job. Their success is the most important part and what everyone works so hard for.
Great work environment - love my students
Adsmissions Advisor (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge / Tir-Cities9 May 2017
The Maple Ridge Campus is small and friendly. The culture is one of inclusiveness and support to both students and faculty.

We celebrate our student and staff successes, nurture an environment that includes students in all programs by having social events. We know that students are here for an education but also an experience and place a priority on ensuring they receive everything a college experience should include.

Regular meetings are held with all staff to collaborate ideas on how to further support our students, grow our program offerings, and provide thorough value to our students.
Pros
Collaborative work environment, supportive management, amazing students and co-workers
Turn over in staff
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC29 April 2017
I felt very lucky to have worked at this college. Always had help when needed. Students eager to learn and get out to work with a new career. Lots of prep at home for next day class.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sprott Shaw College. Our community is ready to answer.