Sprott Shaw College Employee Reviews

Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 September 2018
Good college to improve the knowledge regarding nursing. Also helps us to do celban test. Nice campus and good instructors. They have any objections to do the part time jobs @24hours per week
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Part time
Sprott Shaw
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 August 2018
I have established a good relationship with other teachers. On the top of that, I got to know a lot of different learners from other countries. I taught reading, grammar, listening, and speaking.
a day at work
Practicum Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC28 May 2018
Management is very supportive. Good team building. Open door policies exist. I get to go from site to site and learn new skills and build rapport. I act as a liaison between sites and the college.
Your honesty and hard work is not appreciated
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 May 2018
I started there as an advisor, I did over time which wasn't paid or even appreciated. They call it open door work culture but people are manipulative. I was honest to show what things were going on and I was the one who paid for it.

Total waste of time, efforts and energy.
The worst experience ever!!!
International Department (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2018
Management pushing you to work over time, never paid for it. Never take this job, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!! Impossible to get any vacation or sick day.
Pros
Free chinese food :)
Cons
working hours never ends. No off days. only work
Working at Sprott Shaw College-Victoria
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 March 2018
Sprott Shaw College has provided me with outstanding and supportive on the job training as well as amazing professional development opportunities.

This company values its employees and their contributions. Best thing I've done professionally was to start working here.
Pros
Professional development
Good Place to Work
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 March 2018
The best part about the job are the students. Sprott Shaw offers a lot of professional development, but it's up to you to take advantage of what is offered. There has been a lot of work/life flexibility, and while at work you feel as if you are a family. Communication could improve but that is a two way street.
Pros
Professional development
Cons
Sometimes feel over worked.
Very toxic workplace
HCA Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2018
The job of the instructors goes beyond the hours you are paid for. If the students are unhappy with their mark they will run to the administrator like little babies and put the blame on the instructor. There is no support from the administrator for you as an instructor. They will increase your class size and expect you to work the same hours and manage all the marking and there is a lot of marking! You are responsible for all the photocopying for the class and often times the photocopier jams and you are expected to figure it out.
Very poor administrative support😝
Pros
I enjoyed sharing my knowledge of my industry.
Cons
Many
Change is Good
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 February 2018
Flexible scheduling, great for part-time or supplement work. Staff is supportive with a good community attitude. New faculty staff are supportive with positive change for the campus.
Pros
Close to downtown, staff parking, advancing education program
perfect fit for casual / part time
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 February 2018
The campus at Victoria offers small class sizes and lets instructors engage with each student as an individual. The college is committed to seeing everyone succeed (staff and students). Options for part time / casual employment are great for work life balance. Sport Shaw offers ongoing staff education / training. Changes and improvement to curriculum / classroom / lab experiences always welcome. Great place to make a difference!
Fast paced rewarding environment
Various Roles (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 January 2018
Each day we have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.

We get to celebrate student success and cheer on students to find their passion and purpose
Pros
opportunity of advancement
Supportive Working Environment
Director (Current Employee) –  BC16 January 2018
Sprott Shaw has given me the opportunity to expand my skill set under encouraging and supportive management. I get to work with a knowledgeable team that pushes each other to be better than they were yesterday. The best part of my job is interacting with the students and celebrating their success. It is amazing how many staff have been worked for the college for over 10 years.
Pros
Amazing team of dedicated staff
Work to get experience only place
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 January 2018
Work here to gain experience then leave if you can. Management is a joke. Benefits barely cover anything plus it keeps changing as it’s based on how long you have worked there for as well as new employees get the short end of the stick.
Vacation time is a joke. 2 weeks for the first 5 years of employment.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
People you work for
A place where they value your ideas
Vice President of Marketing & Communications (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 December 2017
I had a great time working at Sprott Shaw College.

They allowed me to implement every strategy I came up with.

Great relationships were acquired. I still talk to some of the people that used to work with me.
Pros
Life Balance
Cons
Low salary and lots of work and responsibilities
enjoy all the coworkers
Electrical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC27 December 2017
A very challenging but rewarding career. Great people and environment. The college is very forward thinking. The manager is extremely helpful and very respectful of the education of electricians. The coworkers are professional and extremely helpful at all levels.
Enjoyed my time there
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2017
I found working for Sprott Shaw a wonderful experience.
Hands down, the students were one of the best parts of the job, yet the work atmosphere was like family. I will miss my time there.
Students were wonderful, but there was no place for new teachers to make their mark. Politics and poor pay, micromanaging in the PN program.
Practical Nursing Program Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 December 2017
Just don't do it! The students were wonderful, but this was no place for new teachers. They preach they invest in you and get you to agree to take courses on your own time, for no pay. New teachers are unable to make their mark or feel a part of the team. Even after professional development days. Politics and poor pay, micromanaging in the PN program. This is a job not worth your investment. You can do better!
Pros
Downtown location
Cons
Long hours, poor pay and compensation
Official response from Sprott Shaw College
18 January 2018

Thank you for the feedback! We're under new leadership and our new President is keen to make improvements where necessary. We're moving forward and changes are being made across the company. We are so excited for what the future holds. All the best in your future endeavours!

just say no !!
nursing instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 October 2017
do not work here, you will regret it . lowest paid nursing job out there , your students will make more than you on graduation. long hours , poor management . lots and lots of personal problems amongst staff
run run run away from this job please . !!!!
Official response from Sprott Shaw College
18 January 2018

Thank you for the feedback! We're under new leadership and changes are being made across the company, from curriculum to operations. Please keep in touch and all the best in your future endeavours!

Valued Member of the Education Community
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 September 2017
Working at Sprott Shaw as an Instructor has been very rewarding. I have found the culture of Sprott Shaw to be increasingly positive with merit, professional development days and advancement within the company a strong value. Employees spoke and management listened. I feel valued and a respected part of the team.
Pros
Merit
Overall a great place to work
Financial Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 September 2017
Sprott Shaw was an amazing place to work! Staff were all professional and friendly. Pay could have been better, but you gain work/life balance, flexibility and low stress.
Pros
Work/life balance, low stress, great people
Cons
Wages could improve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sprott Shaw College. Our community is ready to answer.