SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Great place for beginners, not so much after that.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, Yorkdale Mall14 September 2018
Honestly the coworkers here are amazing but the management at the Yorkdale Location is atrocious. There are 2 competent department managers(we have 6). One of them just puts unnecessary stress on his coworkers and the other just flirts with the male coworkers in the store. Both footwear managers are good at what they do. The store manager is actually incompetent. He’ll argue with employees on the floor in front of customers. The hardgoods manager is decent and everyone loves our softgoods manager (she is actually amazing, she should be the store manager.) Sporting life does a good job at hiring, most of the hires are good people but they will not train you. You get one orientation then after that you’re on your own. The managers are condescending and love micromanaging. Enough with management, let’s talk about how this place treats you. They will book you outside your availability then blame you when they book you outside it. When you complain about something to HR they don’t take you seriously and brush it off. You get paid minimum wage but if you already have good retail experience they leave room to negotiate. Our star program is horrible. The star program is essentially a commission rate of 0.001 percent (Not 0.01) When winter comes along if you are a seasoned worker believe me when I tell you they need you more than you need them. Sporting life used to do an excellent job at providing PK. We used to have one every day or every other day with different brands, now we’re lucky to have one pk session every other week. The morale is so low around the store and you feel that  more... when you start working here. All of our complaints go unnoticed so I’m hoping a higher up sees this review and starts taking us seriously. With all of that said, there are worse places you could work and if you have no experience or are in school looking for something parttime, this could be he place for you  less
Pros
Pk, great for experience
Cons
Great co-workers, horrible management.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
The store is far too focused on the customers than it is on the employees. Managers pick favorites and allow those people to get away with things that are against policy whereas people who aren't favorited are punished with multiple warnings or even termination. Associates barely make money off of their sales as the company only gives 0.01% of all sales back to the employee. So if you sell $1000 worth of product, you only make $1. Managers don't care about what employees want or need in order to perform well and are constantly harassing associates to interact with customers, even if they are just passing through the store (there is an entrance from the parking lot that goes into the mall through the store). Overall not an enjoyable place to work and there is virtually no job security. Apply at Nordstroms if you want to work for a "high-end" retailer.
friendly and productive work environment
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
sporting life was my second CO-OP placement in highschool, i greatly enjoyed the experiance and the people i worked with. It taught me how to carry a conversation with customers and co-workers while staying productive.
Pros
fun times
Cons
bad boss
Sporting Life
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
They sell a lot of jackets. Inventory is well organized, but it takes time to get accustomed to where everything is. People are friendly, pay is minimal.
A typical day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON23 July 2018
I did not love it, lots of benefits though. management very strict. I wish it was more lenient to be honest. sometimes prefer talking to coworkers over helping customer
productive
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 June 2018
friendly environment and the good interaction between employees and employers motivated me to work 8 hours 5 days a week. i got very strong in communicate with people.
Fun but productive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 June 2018
I started working here last summer and I gained so many retail-related skills from this job. Sporting life offers various 'product knowledge' sessions and employee benefits. Managers coached us on how to sell and provide excellent customer service. The most challenging part of this job was dealing with difficult customers from time to time. The most enjoyable part is interacting with my co-workers. Our store is very diverse and everyone is always so welcoming the minute you walk into it. You would come in for your shift, interact with customers, sell high-end goods, talk to your fellow employees, and fold/clean clothes. It was a chill environment and managers are usually flexible with hours. Sometimes, it honestly doesn't even feel like a job because I enjoy it so much; it's almost as if the staff there was family.
It's retail
Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2018
Pretty standard retail experience. Offered rewards for high sales but with little job security and few benefits. Full time hours were hard to come by.
Pros
free lunch on boxing day, good coworkers, can be interesting
Cons
no job security, really anything bad about retail, issues with upper management
Decent part time job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON2 June 2018
Duties included greeting customers, ask them what they're looking for, helping them find what they're looking for and offer more and then walk them to cash.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unique sales experience with nice culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Sporting Life sells mid to high level sporting apparel which represents the customers the store receives. There is a requirement for employees to be very outgoing with customers, which is helpful in assisting some customers but is a turn-off for others. The store staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their work. Management is very concerned with sales (which is expected), but do well in creating flexibility for employees to work. A friendly place for students to learn about the habits required to be successful in customer service and responsibilities. Sporting Life is also involved in a couple of Toronto traditions including their annual 10 km run and legendary boxing day frenzy.
Alright, but dont expect much
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
Idiot managers, petty staff, bad pay for such a "high end" retailer. Management expects a lot but does nothing to facilitate it. Customers very entitled and often rude
Pros
coworkers
Cons
bad hours, bad managment, bad pay
Well organized company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Tyipical day at work would be a meeting with majority of employees about promotions and new merch. After that all employees are dismissed to head out on sales floor.

I've learned different technology of jackets and different brands.

Company is very diverse.

Competitive environment due to commission.

I enjoyed being able to leave my department and making a sales else where within the store. This gave me an opportunity to educate myself on other products.
Great job
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
Good for young people who love merchandise and sales. Very high end clothing that requires knowledge to make consumers purchase. overall had a great experience working with the staff at sporting life
Pros
good discount
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON18 March 2018
loved working here worked breifly as a seasonal employee. everyone is very nice. gained a lot of work experience here. community of co workers is very supportive and friendly
Company Overview
Sales Associate / Calgary, AB (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2018
I found the management team to be amazing when I first got hired, they were understanding and took time to get to know all the employees. I had submitted a time sheet of when I could and could not work. The did not honor that and every time I brought it up, they wrote it off as if it wasn't a problem. I was a full time student at that point and could only work certain hours. I realize that they had many employees to manage but I felt as if I wasn't being heard. Continuing on with that, I found that working at a high end store you were pushed to be in peoples faces trying to make sales. I understand that you need to meet a specific standard of sales per week, but a lot of the time there wasn't enough store traffic to do so. Overall the company is really cool, towards the end of my working there I no longer enjoyed my position. With all that being said, this was just my personal experience. There were many reasons I was no longer happy there and that's why I decided to leave. I know many people who loved working there, so to each their own.
Very welcoming and professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2018
I had a great time working there and enjoyed the experience i got from working with the people and interacting with the customers! Everyone was so accommodating. For example, if another department needed help, other people from other departments would fill in the gaps.
Pros
Amazing environment to be in
Rude staff & ruder customers
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 February 2018
It might be a nice place to work if everyone likes you there but they sure make you feel excluded from everything if they don't like you. I learned to only depend on myself and to keep trying my hardest even if no one showed appreciation for the hard work. I'm not the only one who felt excluded they had a girl there who had been trying her hardest as well by working two jobs. I went to go speak to her and was told not too because she talked too much and they ended up firing her. if your Chinese or Pakistan they love you there but as for us white people they treat us like we are the ones who just hoped off the boat into a foreign country and pull the racist card when someone like me has social anxiety and has troubles communicating with strangers. That might not be directed just at Sporting Life staff it could very well be because this location was in Markham but the staff makes the business and I would look for better associates maybe ones who had a passion for what they do and who aren't just thinking of how they can talk someone into buying something over priced to earn a bit more on their paycheck.,
Pros
food court in mall
Cons
everyone has their head shoved up their a**
Wonderful customers and a fairly easy and fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 January 2018
The company as a whole is incredible to work for. They gave training like no other company I have ever seen and really wanted their employees to provide the best customer service possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people that you work with and the customers you meet. Some customers were difficult but the majority of them really made my work day as they were respectful and talkative. Overall, the job was amazing. However, there was one manager who did not understand boundaries and resulted in several people quitting because of what this manager said. This manager discriminated against several employees based on their appearance which was not acceptable. Other than that, working at Sporting Life was a pleasure. The managers act based on favoritism and treat certain employees differently than others. Most managers are very reasonable, however, some aren't.
Pros
Product Knowledge, Free prizes on occasion
Cons
Unfair Treatment
Good for first job, nothing else
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Management is very bitter and curt to new hires even full time employees which created a divide that was very hostile to be working in. The job itself is a great starting job and teaches you how to work with a team in retail
Pros
the retail experience
Cons
management
You'll meet some amazing people but beware of the mess that they call management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
I liked the people I worked with and I liked when you met a customer that you truly got to engage with however that's about it. In the Calgary location alone there was 3 managers for menswear, 3 more hardwood, 3 for cash, and 2 for women and kids. It was horrible working downstairs in men's and constantly have 6 or 6 managers watching you. This doesn't include all the other managers who work behind the scene; they all disagree on several topics.

We got quizzed about brand knowledge as well as material knowledge and I actually enjoyed that part. Brand representatives also come occasionally and you can get some rare merch out of that.

I hated how the managers there would behave, they gossiped about workers, forced me to run around the store (I would have to circle the store 10 times in under a minute), and you'll get sent off in another department that you know nothing about. In my time there, instead of selling just menswear, I sold backpacks, lots of shoes, women's clothes, kids books, kid toys, even a bike.
Pros
good for high schoolers, learn lots of cool stuff
Cons
Horrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.