SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Just dont do it
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2018
You will like the first few people you meet.

You will enjoy the first few weeks, then you will wonder why you wanted to work there.

College students are their only want, as you are replaceable.

They are not afraid to tell you that either.

The employees are good people and you will get to like them.

The discount is terrible, don't make that the reason you start there.

You are expected to work like a robot.

The store is only open to sell canada goose and other expensive coats.

The management is decent, one of them will make you want to quit when you have dealt with them for a few months.

ZERO room for progression unless you conform to the robotic standards and forget your personality.

Management is replaced as fast as the low level employees.

The job is simple, sell hundreds of thousands of dollars of goods, make awful money.

Ive spoke with multiple 2 year+ veteran employees who have never seen a raise other then when minimum wage went up, as they were required to.

Also im not a disgruntled employee who was fired.

Just trying to warn the people that this place is a dead end and will make you re consider your career path.
Pros
good people
Cons
Work all holidays, awful pay.
They were decent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
When good managers worked there (first 4 months of employment), I really really enjoyed my job, I worked hard and I never had any complaints. Once those managers left, the hard work I was putting in didn’t seem to be enough. I learned a lot about retail and I learned good customer service skills, but when I was putting in my 110%, they were expecting 120%, which I feel were super high expectations for a company that pays minimum wage with no room for growth.
Pros
Some nice coworkers, taught good interpersonal skills
Cons
Not enough hours, crazy high expectations
Horrible HR and Management
Self Employed Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON2 November 2018
Horrible HR, not professional when dealing with applicants and new hire. very little responsibility in a timely manner.

The store in yorkdale has horrible horible management. No one answer the phone for customes enquiries.

Overall the business structure with management really poor.

high end supplies but low end services and management.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Horrible hr.
nice volunteer job
Volunteer customer service and assistance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2018
good volunteer experience that teaches many different skills valuable in the future of students like myself. Duties do seem to become very redundant and boring though.
Pros
free food
Cons
bad for health
A very friendly place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Sporting Life was very nice to work at, most of my co-workers were very easy to work with. The job provided very good training for staff that haven't worked retail before.
Great place for beginners, not so much after that.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, Yorkdale Mall14 September 2018
Honestly the coworkers here are amazing but the management at the Yorkdale Location is atrocious. There are 2 competent department managers(we have 6). One of them just puts unnecessary stress on his coworkers and the other just flirts with the male coworkers in the store. Both footwear managers are good at what they do. The store manager is actually incompetent. He’ll argue with employees on the floor in front of customers. The hardgoods manager is decent and everyone loves our softgoods manager (she is actually amazing, she should be the store manager.) Sporting life does a good job at hiring, most of the hires are good people but they will not train you. You get one orientation then after that you’re on your own. The managers are condescending and love micromanaging. Enough with management, let’s talk about how this place treats you. They will book you outside your availability then blame you when they book you outside it. When you complain about something to HR they don’t take you seriously and brush it off. You get paid minimum wage but if you already have good retail experience they leave room to negotiate. Our star program is horrible. The star program is essentially a commission rate of 0.001 percent (Not 0.01) When winter comes along if you are a seasoned worker believe me when I tell you they need you more than you need them. Sporting life used to do an excellent job at providing PK. We used to have one every day or every other day with different brands, now we’re lucky to have one pk session every other week. The morale is so low around the store and you feel that  more... when you start working here. All of our complaints go unnoticed so I’m hoping a higher up sees this review and starts taking us seriously. With all of that said, there are worse places you could work and if you have no experience or are in school looking for something parttime, this could be he place for you  less
Pros
Pk, great for experience
Cons
Great co-workers, horrible management.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
The store is far too focused on the customers than it is on the employees. Managers pick favorites and allow those people to get away with things that are against policy whereas people who aren't favorited are punished with multiple warnings or even termination. Associates barely make money off of their sales as the company only gives 0.01% of all sales back to the employee. So if you sell $1000 worth of product, you only make $1. Managers don't care about what employees want or need in order to perform well and are constantly harassing associates to interact with customers, even if they are just passing through the store (there is an entrance from the parking lot that goes into the mall through the store). Overall not an enjoyable place to work and there is virtually no job security. Apply at Nordstroms if you want to work for a "high-end" retailer.
friendly and productive work environment
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
sporting life was my second CO-OP placement in highschool, i greatly enjoyed the experiance and the people i worked with. It taught me how to carry a conversation with customers and co-workers while staying productive.
Pros
fun times
Cons
bad boss
Strict work environment, organized company, lots of young employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Sporting Life is a company that likes to hire students with little to no prior work experience and train them on being efficient in retail sales and customer service.
Pros
Staff discounts
Sporting Life
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
They sell a lot of jackets. Inventory is well organized, but it takes time to get accustomed to where everything is. People are friendly, pay is minimal.
A typical day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON23 July 2018
I did not love it, lots of benefits though. management very strict. I wish it was more lenient to be honest. sometimes prefer talking to coworkers over helping customer
productive
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 June 2018
friendly environment and the good interaction between employees and employers motivated me to work 8 hours 5 days a week. i got very strong in communicate with people.
Fun but productive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 June 2018
I started working here last summer and I gained so many retail-related skills from this job. Sporting life offers various 'product knowledge' sessions and employee benefits. Managers coached us on how to sell and provide excellent customer service. The most challenging part of this job was dealing with difficult customers from time to time. The most enjoyable part is interacting with my co-workers. Our store is very diverse and everyone is always so welcoming the minute you walk into it. You would come in for your shift, interact with customers, sell high-end goods, talk to your fellow employees, and fold/clean clothes. It was a chill environment and managers are usually flexible with hours. Sometimes, it honestly doesn't even feel like a job because I enjoy it so much; it's almost as if the staff there was family.
It's retail
Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2018
Pretty standard retail experience. Offered rewards for high sales but with little job security and few benefits. Full time hours were hard to come by.
Pros
free lunch on boxing day, good coworkers, can be interesting
Cons
no job security, really anything bad about retail, issues with upper management
Decent part time job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON2 June 2018
Duties included greeting customers, ask them what they're looking for, helping them find what they're looking for and offer more and then walk them to cash.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unique sales experience with nice culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Sporting Life sells mid to high level sporting apparel which represents the customers the store receives. There is a requirement for employees to be very outgoing with customers, which is helpful in assisting some customers but is a turn-off for others. The store staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their work. Management is very concerned with sales (which is expected), but do well in creating flexibility for employees to work. A friendly place for students to learn about the habits required to be successful in customer service and responsibilities. Sporting Life is also involved in a couple of Toronto traditions including their annual 10 km run and legendary boxing day frenzy.
Alright, but dont expect much
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
Idiot managers, petty staff, bad pay for such a "high end" retailer. Management expects a lot but does nothing to facilitate it. Customers very entitled and often rude
Pros
coworkers
Cons
bad hours, bad managment, bad pay
Well organized company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Tyipical day at work would be a meeting with majority of employees about promotions and new merch. After that all employees are dismissed to head out on sales floor.

I've learned different technology of jackets and different brands.

Company is very diverse.

Competitive environment due to commission.

I enjoyed being able to leave my department and making a sales else where within the store. This gave me an opportunity to educate myself on other products.
Great job
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
Good for young people who love merchandise and sales. Very high end clothing that requires knowledge to make consumers purchase. overall had a great experience working with the staff at sporting life
Pros
good discount
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON18 March 2018
loved working here worked breifly as a seasonal employee. everyone is very nice. gained a lot of work experience here. community of co workers is very supportive and friendly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.