Sporting Life

Sporting Life Employee Reviews

Sportinglife is a fun place to work I really missed working to the company. My co.worker are.friendly and nice and also my manager. Due to pandemic I will missed the store.
Working at Sporting Life is like working at any other retail store. High turnover rate, management issues and minimum-wage pay for high level of work. Despite that, I learned a lot during my time here. I can say training and development is their strongest suit. There were many opportunities to learn about the product sold and how to provide the best customer service possible. Vendors would come in daily to discuss their product and give staff the knowledge on how to sell it to the customers. However, in the year I was employed here, the Incompetent management had ruined this store. The better managers left after not being compensated fairly and were replaced by individuals who did not know what they are doing and are comfortable making less. There is a lot of unfairness/inequality/favouritism with management and staff, but that comes with any job and is not exclusive to Sporting Life. The amount you are paid and the work expected of you do not align, but again, it's a retail job. This job is best as a part time job and not as a "career." If you work hard and show you have what it takes, you can advance at the store level and possibly, beyond. I met a lot of "interesting," people working here from all walks of life, ages, races, ethnicities and social status which made working here a bit more tolerable. Treating this job as just a retail job is the way to go. Don't take it too seriously; don't bend over backwards for a job that would fire you the moment they have enough documentation to do so. Don't go above and beyond. Treat it as such and your sanity will thank you.
Pros
training and development, reasonable customers
Cons
inexperienced management, loss prevention protocols, selling incentives, greeting
Sporting life is the worse place to work at, management is very unprofessional. Managers are very mischief, they do not know what they are doing as a company. They will fire you without a cause even though you meet your sales goal. The sale goals are unreasonably high no one can reach that amount. They treat you like a garbage man
Pros
60% off
Cons
Bad managers and management
Although I enjoyed my coworkers, management was always confused and sent mixed messages. They only really cared about sales and would make employees stalk customers around the store in attempt to achieve their goal. The customers themselves were quite snotty and awful at the best of times. I believe any other job is better than what you’d get from this place.
Pros
Good discount and fun coworkers
Cons
Bad pay and management. Slow pace
Avoid this place, work anywhere else in retail if you can. The employees are very good people. The management tries sometimes, but they are managed by even lazier and brain-dead people. Products are great, discount is good now in 2020. Don't expect to move up into management if you weren't hired as one. Don't take on more responsibility in hopes for a raise, YOU WILL NEVER SEE A RAISE OVER 10 cents. IF YOU WORK HERE FOR LESS THEN 17$ an hour you are being taken advantage of!!
Pros
Pizza once and a while, but no lunch if you get pizza
Cons
Bad management, even worse upper management. Fast turn around of management and staff
Although I enjoyed the friends that I made in my workplace, I felt as though my job security was low because if a certain sales goal was not reached over time, you may get fired. You would have to work hard to get sales, but most of the time the store business was slow.
Lots of focus on selling but because it is a popular store, getting people to buy things is not difficult. The footwear department is the most involved and although you need to learn some technical aspects about running and sizing, it is the most fun!
Management was horrible. They all talked trash about you, they had favourite employees, typically the ones who been there longer. They watch u like a hawk, not to make sure your doing your job right, but to find something to yell at you or to go tell the head about
Although you are put to the test with sales goals that you are expected to meet they aren't impossible. The co workers will be what keeps you working at this place. The costumers can be difficult to deal with.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sporting Life?
Working at Sporting Life was a good experience. The pay was not terrible but could have been a little better ($0.5 to $1 surplus) for the tasks we completed, management was fair and lenient and the work environment was good
Beaucoup trop de discrimination au sein de cette compagnie au niveau du sexe et de la couleur de peau. Ils payent très mal et traitent très mal leurs employés. À éviter à tout prix
This job was my first Canadian experience and I enjoyed every single minute of it. from my colleagues to managers every one was really nice and caring. I learned a lot and I actually miss working there. from time to time I go there and see everybody.
Gloomy, dirty, dark, no culture, learned about bad management, male run company, no visible minorities in management, old office nothing compared to how their stores look
Pros
They now have free coffee, Last month you had to pay .50 Per cup
Cons
Consistent change, No job security
The retail sales life is a mix of slow and fast paced. It depends on the day and time of the week. On both days I stay busy - helping customers on busy days and organizing the merchandise on slow days. The hardest part of the job is the commission incentives are not enough. I did enjoy the camaraderie of my co-workers.
Work was really relaxed interacting with customers was great and then the hours were great so therefore it felt really good going into work but closing was kind of hard
Working environment is cool and the job itself is great, but I feel there should be some more ease for employees by the management and managers are super strict and do not let you breath in their vicinity, regardless of the way your feeling or circumstance.
Challenging environment but are supported by amazing staff and fantastic head office support. Ability to try new things visually but also have a great foundation of what they company has been doing for years.
It's relaxed atmosphere. And can be fun to work at. They do care for the charities they support. Staff is fun, and most managers are friendly and great.
Became good friends with the staff. Management is stern but fair. Hardest part of the job is learning in detail about each product. In a few shifts you will learn the main points about the products. Enjoyed staff meeting before each shift. Was always well informed on all company information (sales, promotions, upcoming events, etc)
I worked at the warehouse department. Immediately after working there I got injured in my lower back. After being overworked after a while my joints are hurting and still are. You are expected to stand all day with little to no rest. The management never appreciates your work and are literally treated like a tool. They have short temper and get stressed and treat you badly for their problems. You are constantly being told to do work as if you were a machine. The pay is minimum wage and advancement in career is next to impossible. The strategy is clear: Sporting Life hires young high-school and young adults that are not aware of their working rights and makes them work to the point they are injured. I think the physical persisting pain in my body, lack of care from management, lack of appreciation, the expectation to work hard all day with little rest it is not worth it.
Management varies between departments, but in my experience I really like my department manager. It's mostly a friendly work culture, pay is minimum, benefits is expected (employee discounts). Good balance between work/school. Easy job, mostly learning useless skills non-applicable to anything else in the real world.
  1. Employee reviews