SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

Fun workplace environment
sporting life (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON15 March 2019
Sporting Life was a very fun and fast paced environment.It was fun because my co workers had a good outlook on getting tasks done, however knew how to make light of situations.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
fast paced
Systematically impressive, poor management personnel choice
Mens Sportswear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markville Mall, Markham, Ontario12 March 2019
Sporting Life was an excellent entry-level job, however the scheduling and communication between sales associate and their managers was poor. Would Recommend to anyone looking to dive head-first into sales and understanding basic concepts of what it takes to sell. I've learned a lot about how fine tuning your approach can make a large difference in sales, and also how important knowledge of the product is when it comes to selling.
Cons
Communication on shift times and changes.
good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 March 2019
I was hired to work at sporting for a seasonal position. The job application process was fairly easy. I handed in my resume, got an interview right away, and got a call back within 24hrs.
It was very easy to adapt to the work culture there and meet new people, as it was mainly younger workers and casual workplace. One thing I would have to say is that there aren't any benefits for cashiers.

Overall sporting life was a good first job.
Pros
decent employee discount, good management
Cons
long hours, no benefits for cashiers
Don't mess up and you will have a swell time
Retail Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 February 2019
One manager didn't really like me, a few people had returned their ski boots because they were too tight. A week goes by without me even knowing anything went wrong. Then all of a sudden I'm mid-sale on some boots and my manager tells me I can't sell ski boots anymore. This is fine I suppose I wasn't ready, It was my first job ever and I didn't expect it to be perfect. However, it was the way the manager phrased the sentence. They said that they had already told me last week. While I had no recollection of this conversation ever happening. They kept insisting they had told me, it was embarrassing. They had to cover up for the fact they never told me by making me look like a bigger idiot. I didn't sell much later that season and eventually, my contract was up. Overall enjoyed the friendliness of the workplace but it seemed everyone was extremely competitive.
Pros
Free stuff and product info sessions, Ski day, 20% employee discount
Cons
Competitive environment
its whatever
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 February 2019
I enjoyed my Time working there, but they put you in a really stressful vibe when the stories slow to sell stuff, my manager wasn't very nice and I got written up a lot even though I wasn't always in the wrong, overall not the best job but not too hard and everyones pretty friendly
Pros
always asks your opinion for weekly booking shifts
Cons
very small commission
If upper managent likes you, you can keep your job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2019
PRO:
Fun job if you want just a part time job
Great people to work with
CON:
Bad commission
Bad pay
Sometimes you compete for sale with managers
they like to cut hours to the point you go from 30hrs one week to 5hrs the next
Even if you make your sales goals or above it won't matter. It all comes down if upper management likes you or not.
Pros
free ski trip
Cons
really bad management
Great employees, bad managment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgayr15 February 2019
Sporting Life was a great place to work, I've made many friends from being employed here. The management went downhill when the new store opened. They favored certain employees.
Fun workplace
Associate, Women's Outerwear Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2019
The hardest part of being a sales associate was being able to manage many customers at once and make sure they are all satisfied with their shopping experience.
okay to work with other staff
Data Administrative assistant/ Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2019
Team work required
Not enough information provide by managers
Learned different type or work
Do not provide proper training
Flexible hours to work
Not advance systems.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not proper training
If the managers like you it's a fun experience
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario23 January 2019
Overall with flexibility probably the best job depending on your manager. The line between management and friendship starts to become non existent and it all depends on wether they like you or not. If they do you will get along with pretty much anything but if they don't you are out the door. I personally loved it at time to work there because of the people but other times not. This is not a commissions job not sure why so many people believe so.
Pros
people
Sporting Life
Cashier Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 November 2018
Good environment, and fast-paced! A lot of rules and regulation that need to be followed. They are a bit strict and the policies are a bit extreme. Extreme loss prevention section, even as an employee.
Cons
Long Hours
Never again
Soft goods (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON26 November 2018
was hired for a seasonal position and wasn’t even aware of that until i quit, long shifts, kind of a strict dress code, repetitive and not to mention management was unprofessional and very clear on who their favourite employees were. they really try to take advantage of you and if you put your foot down they’re very unhappy with you, for example i understand it’s retail but i mentioned to them before i was hired i would be unable to work Boxing Day as I’m away and they scheduled me for it anyways, when i brought it to their attention they told me they wouldn’t have hired me if they knew i couldn’t work that day when i mentioned it several times, after that they gave me extremely terrible shifts which ended up with me quitting after this incident
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Long boring shifts, unprofessional, repetitive, very high expectations for minimum wage job
Its all about being efficient, quick & productive at work.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2018
A great exposure in the Retail Industry and getting a chance to perform and do various fields & areas in Human Resources right from employee recruitment, on boarding, employee management, benefits & compensation, labour relations, MOL investigations, terminations and lots of other Human Resources duties.
Pros
In store Discounts
Cons
slow pace of working
Just dont do it
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2018
You will like the first few people you meet.

You will enjoy the first few weeks, then you will wonder why you wanted to work there.

College students are their only want, as you are replaceable.

They are not afraid to tell you that either.

The employees are good people and you will get to like them.

The discount is terrible, don't make that the reason you start there.

You are expected to work like a robot.

The store is only open to sell canada goose and other expensive coats.

The management is decent, one of them will make you want to quit when you have dealt with them for a few months.

ZERO room for progression unless you conform to the robotic standards and forget your personality.

Management is replaced as fast as the low level employees.

The job is simple, sell hundreds of thousands of dollars of goods, make awful money.

Ive spoke with multiple 2 year+ veteran employees who have never seen a raise other then when minimum wage went up, as they were required to.

Also im not a disgruntled employee who was fired.

Just trying to warn the people that this place is a dead end and will make you re consider your career path.
Pros
good people
Cons
Work all holidays, awful pay.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
Learning so much about so many different pieces of clothing with so many technicalities is fun and working at sporting life is like learning something new every day!
Like every retail store, even Sporting Life has its extremely busy and extremely slow days, but it's different every day and that what makes it fun.
Pros
vending machines at work, free goodies, amazing discounts and deals.
They were decent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
When good managers worked there (first 4 months of employment), I really really enjoyed my job, I worked hard and I never had any complaints. Once those managers left, the hard work I was putting in didn’t seem to be enough. I learned a lot about retail and I learned good customer service skills, but when I was putting in my 110%, they were expecting 120%, which I feel were super high expectations for a company that pays minimum wage with no room for growth.
Pros
Some nice coworkers, taught good interpersonal skills
Cons
Not enough hours, crazy high expectations
Horrible HR and Management
Self Employed Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON2 November 2018
Horrible HR, not professional when dealing with applicants and new hire. very little responsibility in a timely manner.

The store in yorkdale has horrible horible management. No one answer the phone for customes enquiries.

Overall the business structure with management really poor.

high end supplies but low end services and management.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Horrible hr.
nice volunteer job
Volunteer customer service and assistance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2018
good volunteer experience that teaches many different skills valuable in the future of students like myself. Duties do seem to become very redundant and boring though.
Pros
free food
Cons
bad for health
A very friendly place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Sporting Life was very nice to work at, most of my co-workers were very easy to work with. The job provided very good training for staff that haven't worked retail before.
Great place for beginners, not so much after that.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, Yorkdale Mall14 September 2018
Honestly the coworkers here are amazing but the management at the Yorkdale Location is atrocious. There are 2 competent department managers(we have 6). One of them just puts unnecessary stress on his coworkers and the other just flirts with the male coworkers in the store. Both footwear managers are good at what they do. The store manager is actually incompetent. He’ll argue with employees on the floor in front of customers. The hardgoods manager is decent and everyone loves our softgoods manager (she is actually amazing, she should be the store manager.) Sporting life does a good job at hiring, most of the hires are good people but they will not train you. You get one orientation then after that you’re on your own. The managers are condescending and love micromanaging. Enough with management, let’s talk about how this place treats you. They will book you outside your availability then blame you when they book you outside it. When you complain about something to HR they don’t take you seriously and brush it off. You get paid minimum wage but if you already have good retail experience they leave room to negotiate. Our star program is horrible. The star program is essentially a commission rate of 0.001 percent (Not 0.01) When winter comes along if you are a seasoned worker believe me when I tell you they need you more than you need them. Sporting life used to do an excellent job at providing PK. We used to have one every day or every other day with different brands, now we’re lucky to have one pk session every other week. The morale is so low around the store and you feel that  more... when you start working here. All of our complaints go unnoticed so I’m hoping a higher up sees this review and starts taking us seriously. With all of that said, there are worse places you could work and if you have no experience or are in school looking for something parttime, this could be he place for you  less
Pros
Pk, great for experience