Sporting Life

Sporting Life Employee Reviews

Canada238 reviews
Easy Job, Great People and Environment
Lots of focus on selling but because it is a popular store, getting people to buy things is not difficult. The footwear department is the most involved and although you need to learn some technical aspects about running and sizing, it is the most fun!
Management was horrible. They all talked trash about you, they had favourite employees, typically the ones who been there longer. They watch u like a hawk, not to make sure your doing your job right, but to find something to yell at you or to go tell the head about
Great Environment
Although you are put to the test with sales goals that you are expected to meet they aren't impossible. The co workers will be what keeps you working at this place. The costumers can be difficult to deal with.
Healthy professional environment
Working at Sporting Life was a good experience. The pay was not terrible but could have been a little better ($0.5 to $1 surplus) for the tasks we completed, management was fair and lenient and the work environment was good
Terrible et discriminatoire
Beaucoup trop de discrimination au sein de cette compagnie au niveau du sexe et de la couleur de peau. Ils payent très mal et traitent très mal leurs employés. À éviter à tout prix
a fun place to work and everyone is really caring and nice
This job was my first Canadian experience and I enjoyed every single minute of it. from my colleagues to managers every one was really nice and caring. I learned a lot and I actually miss working there. from time to time I go there and see everybody.
Boring
Gloomy, dirty, dark, no culture, learned about bad management, male run company, no visible minorities in management, old office nothing compared to how their stores look
Pros
They now have free coffee, Last month you had to pay .50 Per cup
Cons
Consistent change, No job security
Company in Transition
Very enjoyable place to work, management and staff are great, friendly and very relaxed. It is currently in a state of transition in management and philosophy.
Good experience
The retail sales life is a mix of slow and fast paced. It depends on the day and time of the week. On both days I stay busy - helping customers on busy days and organizing the merchandise on slow days.

The hardest part of the job is the commission incentives are not enough. I did enjoy the camaraderie of my co-workers.
Work was really relaxed interacting with customers was great and then the hours were great so therefore it felt really good going into work but closing was kind of hard
Weird place to work with cool bonuses but really bad management and uniformity
Working environment is cool and the job itself is great, but I feel there should be some more ease for employees by the management and managers are super strict and do not let you breath in their vicinity, regardless of the way your feeling or circumstance.
Fun, fast paced working enviroment
Challenging environment but are supported by amazing staff and fantastic head office support. Ability to try new things visually but also have a great foundation of what they company has been doing for years.
It's fun
It's relaxed atmosphere. And can be fun to work at. They do care for the charities they support. Staff is fun, and most managers are friendly and great.
Fun workplace, friendly staff
Became good friends with the staff. Management is stern but fair. Hardest part of the job is learning in detail about each product. In a few shifts you will learn the main points about the products. Enjoyed staff meeting before each shift. Was always well informed on all company information (sales, promotions, upcoming events, etc)
Warehouse Employee- Got Injured from being over & no one really cares (Sneaky Strategy)
I worked at the warehouse department. Immediately after working there I got injured in my lower back. After being overworked after a while my joints are hurting and still are. You are expected to stand all day with little to no rest. The management never appreciates your work and are literally treated like a tool. They have short temper and get stressed and treat you badly for their problems. You are constantly being told to do work as if you were a machine. The pay is minimum wage and advancement in career is next to impossible. The strategy is clear: Sporting Life hires young high-school and young adults that are not aware of their working rights and makes them work to the point they are injured. I think the physical persisting pain in my body, lack of care from management, lack of appreciation, the expectation to work hard all day with little rest it is not worth it.
Decent min-wage job
Management varies between departments, but in my experience I really like my department manager.

It's mostly a friendly work culture, pay is minimum, benefits is expected (employee discounts). Good balance between work/school.

Easy job, mostly learning useless skills non-applicable to anything else in the real world.
Fairly strict and bad management
Expected to always be doing something and got calls from security watching cameras to ensure workers were always doing something even though there were no customers. Overall, bad experience, although fair hours and wages were given, you are expected to sell more than is possible and following management standards is nearly impossible.
Very productive work place with a large team.
I worked seasonal at sporting life and the work was very fast paced. Management was very understanding and gave me ample training. I learned very vital communication skills that have stayed with me throughout my other jobs. I was often able to help the customers with whatever they needed.
Fast pacing, on your feet
Working at sporting life went well. I was a re-stocker so I restocked the shelves with merchandise, prepared tables for displaying.
I learned that you should be wearing comfortable shoes when you are working, being on your feet all day.

Management was really respectful and nice. They were understanding and really helpful if I had any questions.

Multicultural work place

The hardest part about the job was waking up at 5:30 in the morning to get to work for 8 every morning.

The most enjoyable part was the staff lunch that took place at a restaurant for my work department
Pros
Free lunches at times
Cons
Working on your feet at a fast pace
Good
have always had a strong emphasis on internal workplace culture, the result of which is a strong team who share a common set of values. The people who work here are the atmosphere they create is nothing like anywhere else I have ever worked.
Productive, Creative, Responsibal and Fun Environment.
. Touring to fix a missing part on the store's display.
. New ways to create the displays and window displays.

. Responsible retail management.

. The workplace employment is equal.

. The hardest part of the job are the window displays during the seasons as we have themes for chosing the outfits for all of mannequins including equipment, lightning, accessories.

. The most enjoyable part of the job when you finish your job with successful ways or when you add more effort to your work.

. More effort for yourself and for your company is part of booth's successful.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sporting Life. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8