SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

It's retail
Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2018
Pretty standard retail experience. Offered rewards for high sales but with little job security and few benefits. Full time hours were hard to come by.
Pros
free lunch on boxing day, good coworkers, can be interesting
Cons
no job security, really anything bad about retail, issues with upper management
Decent part time job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON2 June 2018
Duties included greeting customers, ask them what they're looking for, helping them find what they're looking for and offer more and then walk them to cash.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unique sales experience with nice culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Sporting Life sells mid to high level sporting apparel which represents the customers the store receives. There is a requirement for employees to be very outgoing with customers, which is helpful in assisting some customers but is a turn-off for others. The store staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their work. Management is very concerned with sales (which is expected), but do well in creating flexibility for employees to work. A friendly place for students to learn about the habits required to be successful in customer service and responsibilities. Sporting Life is also involved in a couple of Toronto traditions including their annual 10 km run and legendary boxing day frenzy.
Alright, but dont expect much
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
Idiot managers, petty staff, bad pay for such a "high end" retailer. Management expects a lot but does nothing to facilitate it. Customers very entitled and often rude
Pros
coworkers
Cons
bad hours, bad managment, bad pay
Well organized company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Tyipical day at work would be a meeting with majority of employees about promotions and new merch. After that all employees are dismissed to head out on sales floor.

I've learned different technology of jackets and different brands.

Company is very diverse.

Competitive environment due to commission.

I enjoyed being able to leave my department and making a sales else where within the store. This gave me an opportunity to educate myself on other products.
Great job
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2018
Good for young people who love merchandise and sales. Very high end clothing that requires knowledge to make consumers purchase. overall had a great experience working with the staff at sporting life
Pros
good discount
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON18 March 2018
loved working here worked breifly as a seasonal employee. everyone is very nice. gained a lot of work experience here. community of co workers is very supportive and friendly
Company Overview
Sales Associate / Calgary, AB (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 March 2018
I found the management team to be amazing when I first got hired, they were understanding and took time to get to know all the employees. I had submitted a time sheet of when I could and could not work. The did not honor that and every time I brought it up, they wrote it off as if it wasn't a problem. I was a full time student at that point and could only work certain hours. I realize that they had many employees to manage but I felt as if I wasn't being heard. Continuing on with that, I found that working at a high end store you were pushed to be in peoples faces trying to make sales. I understand that you need to meet a specific standard of sales per week, but a lot of the time there wasn't enough store traffic to do so. Overall the company is really cool, towards the end of my working there I no longer enjoyed my position. With all that being said, this was just my personal experience. There were many reasons I was no longer happy there and that's why I decided to leave. I know many people who loved working there, so to each their own.
Very welcoming and professional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2018
I had a great time working there and enjoyed the experience i got from working with the people and interacting with the customers! Everyone was so accommodating. For example, if another department needed help, other people from other departments would fill in the gaps.
Pros
Amazing environment to be in
Rude staff & ruder customers
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 February 2018
It might be a nice place to work if everyone likes you there but they sure make you feel excluded from everything if they don't like you. I learned to only depend on myself and to keep trying my hardest even if no one showed appreciation for the hard work. I'm not the only one who felt excluded they had a girl there who had been trying her hardest as well by working two jobs. I went to go speak to her and was told not too because she talked too much and they ended up firing her. if your Chinese or Pakistan they love you there but as for us white people they treat us like we are the ones who just hoped off the boat into a foreign country and pull the racist card when someone like me has social anxiety and has troubles communicating with strangers. That might not be directed just at Sporting Life staff it could very well be because this location was in Markham but the staff makes the business and I would look for better associates maybe ones who had a passion for what they do and who aren't just thinking of how they can talk someone into buying something over priced to earn a bit more on their paycheck.,
Pros
food court in mall
Cons
everyone has their head shoved up their a**
Wonderful customers and a fairly easy and fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 January 2018
The company as a whole is incredible to work for. They gave training like no other company I have ever seen and really wanted their employees to provide the best customer service possible. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the people that you work with and the customers you meet. Some customers were difficult but the majority of them really made my work day as they were respectful and talkative. Overall, the job was amazing. However, there was one manager who did not understand boundaries and resulted in several people quitting because of what this manager said. This manager discriminated against several employees based on their appearance which was not acceptable. Other than that, working at Sporting Life was a pleasure. The managers act based on favoritism and treat certain employees differently than others. Most managers are very reasonable, however, some aren't.
Pros
Product Knowledge, Free prizes on occasion
Cons
Unfair Treatment
Good for first job, nothing else
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Management is very bitter and curt to new hires even full time employees which created a divide that was very hostile to be working in. The job itself is a great starting job and teaches you how to work with a team in retail
Pros
the retail experience
Cons
management
You'll meet some amazing people but beware of the mess that they call management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 January 2018
I liked the people I worked with and I liked when you met a customer that you truly got to engage with however that's about it. In the Calgary location alone there was 3 managers for menswear, 3 more hardwood, 3 for cash, and 2 for women and kids. It was horrible working downstairs in men's and constantly have 6 or 6 managers watching you. This doesn't include all the other managers who work behind the scene; they all disagree on several topics.

We got quizzed about brand knowledge as well as material knowledge and I actually enjoyed that part. Brand representatives also come occasionally and you can get some rare merch out of that.

I hated how the managers there would behave, they gossiped about workers, forced me to run around the store (I would have to circle the store 10 times in under a minute), and you'll get sent off in another department that you know nothing about. In my time there, instead of selling just menswear, I sold backpacks, lots of shoes, women's clothes, kids books, kid toys, even a bike.
Pros
good for high schoolers, learn lots of cool stuff
Cons
Horrible management
Great Atmosphere and Family
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 January 2018
Feels great working together with the rest of the crew. Depends on your department as well. Other departments such as sportswear and juniors is a hassle during closing time due to the mess people make. It is best to be in footwear or outerwear preferably.
Pros
Bonuses and product knowledge sessions
Cons
Weak commissions
Loads of fun and a great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 December 2017
I was able to expand my knowledge on sporting goods as there would be constant presentations on the products we offered. Interacting with customers was also a treat as most discussions would revolve around sports (high recommend if you love sports)!
Bad Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2017
Did not enjoy my time working here as i felt un-welcomed to the sales team. Management style was odd and training was minimal. generally bad atmosphere in the workplace.
Pros
employee deals
Cons
environment
Great environment. Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 December 2017
Company had a great vibe to it, when selling items to customers and providing service. It was unreasonable how much the pushed the associates to make sales, despite not offering commission. Working hours were done well. Some of the managers were hard to deal with, but most were kind and reasonable.
Overstaffing is a problem, among others.
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 December 2017
The job at first seemed solid; they are efficient in their training, and you are given product knowledge on some brands, etc. . However, from the beginning, the management team seems to make sure that they instill a great level of pressure in their employees, with a commission system that is NOT fair or fruitful in any way. The management team expects everyone to be around the same range in sales, despite every department having very different price ranges of items AND employees not having the same hours. As well, they greatly overstaffed, which lead to at least 15 employees losing their jobs within 3 months. They do not even fire based off of performance, as some who were doing splendid in sales got fired immediately. There is no job security for someone who is full or even part-time here. As well, the discount just sucks given how expensive the items in store are. The only good thing was the flexibility of hours, but they tend to cut them short unexpectedly.
Pros
flexible breaks, product knowledge
Cons
literally every other aspect involved
I dreaded working here since the very beginning.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2017
I started with the company when opening a new location. The upside to working is that the discount is decent and people you work with are a great set of people. They offer product knowledge and sometimes you get cool free things after learning. Everything else is just awful, commission is ridiculously lousy for a place where everything is expensive. The pressure and atmosphere of working is very hostile. The management team is one of the worst. At this particular location, a manager will act kind and nice to you but can turn on you so quick and treat you poorly. The management team is very fake and they act nice but they instil so much fear into you, enough for you to dread working here. I know many who have been planning on quitting this job since the beginning because they dread it that much. What I don’t understand is what their thought process is when’s it comes to firing people, it’s like they pull names out of a hat. Within 1-2 months 20+ people were terminated.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Management and they say closing takes 10 minutes it really takes 1 hour.
productive and fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 November 2017
The company offers growth and the ability to thrive in fast-paced environments. The managers help you understand products so you are able to sell them efficiently and effectively.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.