SPORTING LIFE Employee Reviews

They were decent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2018
When good managers worked there (first 4 months of employment), I really really enjoyed my job, I worked hard and I never had any complaints. Once those managers left, the hard work I was putting in didn’t seem to be enough. I learned a lot about retail and I learned good customer service skills, but when I was putting in my 110%, they were expecting 120%, which I feel were super high expectations for a company that pays minimum wage with no room for growth.
Pros
Some nice coworkers, taught good interpersonal skills
Cons
Not enough hours, crazy high expectations
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2018
Learning so much about so many different pieces of clothing with so many technicalities is fun and working at sporting life is like learning something new every day!
Like every retail store, even Sporting Life has its extremely busy and extremely slow days, but it's different every day and that what makes it fun.
Pros
vending machines at work, free goodies, amazing discounts and deals.
Horrible HR and Management
Self Employed Consultant (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON2 November 2018
Horrible HR, not professional when dealing with applicants and new hire. very little responsibility in a timely manner.

The store in yorkdale has horrible horible management. No one answer the phone for customes enquiries.

Overall the business structure with management really poor.

high end supplies but low end services and management.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Horrible hr.
Never again
Soft goods (Former Employee) –  Collingwood, ON26 November 2018
was hired for a seasonal position and wasn’t even aware of that until i quit, long shifts, kind of a strict dress code, repetitive and not to mention management was unprofessional and very clear on who their favourite employees were. they really try to take advantage of you and if you put your foot down they’re very unhappy with you, for example i understand it’s retail but i mentioned to them before i was hired i would be unable to work Boxing Day as I’m away and they scheduled me for it anyways, when i brought it to their attention they told me they wouldn’t have hired me if they knew i couldn’t work that day when i mentioned it several times, after that they gave me extremely terrible shifts which ended up with me quitting after this incident
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Long boring shifts, unprofessional, repetitive, very high expectations for minimum wage job
Great co-workers, horrible management.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2018
The store is far too focused on the customers than it is on the employees. Managers pick favorites and allow those people to get away with things that are against policy whereas people who aren't favorited are punished with multiple warnings or even termination. Associates barely make money off of their sales as the company only gives 0.01% of all sales back to the employee. So if you sell $1000 worth of product, you only make $1. Managers don't care about what employees want or need in order to perform well and are constantly harassing associates to interact with customers, even if they are just passing through the store (there is an entrance from the parking lot that goes into the mall through the store). Overall not an enjoyable place to work and there is virtually no job security. Apply at Nordstroms if you want to work for a "high-end" retailer.
Sporting Life
Cashier Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 November 2018
Good environment, and fast-paced! A lot of rules and regulation that need to be followed. They are a bit strict and the policies are a bit extreme. Extreme loss prevention section, even as an employee.
Cons
Long Hours
nice volunteer job
Volunteer customer service and assistance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2018
good volunteer experience that teaches many different skills valuable in the future of students like myself. Duties do seem to become very redundant and boring though.
Pros
free food
Cons
bad for health
friendly and productive work environment
Bike Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2018
sporting life was my second CO-OP placement in highschool, i greatly enjoyed the experiance and the people i worked with. It taught me how to carry a conversation with customers and co-workers while staying productive.
Pros
fun times
Cons
bad boss
Unique sales experience with nice culture
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Sporting Life sells mid to high level sporting apparel which represents the customers the store receives. There is a requirement for employees to be very outgoing with customers, which is helpful in assisting some customers but is a turn-off for others. The store staff is knowledgeable and passionate about their work. Management is very concerned with sales (which is expected), but do well in creating flexibility for employees to work. A friendly place for students to learn about the habits required to be successful in customer service and responsibilities. Sporting Life is also involved in a couple of Toronto traditions including their annual 10 km run and legendary boxing day frenzy.
Fun but productive work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON11 June 2018
I started working here last summer and I gained so many retail-related skills from this job. Sporting life offers various 'product knowledge' sessions and employee benefits. Managers coached us on how to sell and provide excellent customer service. The most challenging part of this job was dealing with difficult customers from time to time. The most enjoyable part is interacting with my co-workers. Our store is very diverse and everyone is always so welcoming the minute you walk into it. You would come in for your shift, interact with customers, sell high-end goods, talk to your fellow employees, and fold/clean clothes. It was a chill environment and managers are usually flexible with hours. Sometimes, it honestly doesn't even feel like a job because I enjoy it so much; it's almost as if the staff there was family.
Strict work environment, organized company, lots of young employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Sporting Life is a company that likes to hire students with little to no prior work experience and train them on being efficient in retail sales and customer service.
Pros
Staff discounts
A very friendly place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 September 2018
Sporting Life was very nice to work at, most of my co-workers were very easy to work with. The job provided very good training for staff that haven't worked retail before.
Well organized company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Tyipical day at work would be a meeting with majority of employees about promotions and new merch. After that all employees are dismissed to head out on sales floor.

I've learned different technology of jackets and different brands.

Company is very diverse.

Competitive environment due to commission.

I enjoyed being able to leave my department and making a sales else where within the store. This gave me an opportunity to educate myself on other products.
It's retail
Service Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 June 2018
Pretty standard retail experience. Offered rewards for high sales but with little job security and few benefits. Full time hours were hard to come by.
Pros
free lunch on boxing day, good coworkers, can be interesting
Cons
no job security, really anything bad about retail, issues with upper management
Just dont do it
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 November 2018
You will like the first few people you meet.

You will enjoy the first few weeks, then you will wonder why you wanted to work there.

College students are their only want, as you are replaceable.

They are not afraid to tell you that either.

The employees are good people and you will get to like them.

The discount is terrible, don't make that the reason you start there.

You are expected to work like a robot.

The store is only open to sell canada goose and other expensive coats.

The management is decent, one of them will make you want to quit when you have dealt with them for a few months.

ZERO room for progression unless you conform to the robotic standards and forget your personality.

Management is replaced as fast as the low level employees.

The job is simple, sell hundreds of thousands of dollars of goods, make awful money.

Ive spoke with multiple 2 year+ veteran employees who have never seen a raise other then when minimum wage went up, as they were required to.

Also im not a disgruntled employee who was fired.

Just trying to warn the people that this place is a dead end and will make you re consider your career path.
Pros
good people
Cons
Work all holidays, awful pay.
Sporting Life
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 August 2018
They sell a lot of jackets. Inventory is well organized, but it takes time to get accustomed to where everything is. People are friendly, pay is minimal.
A typical day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON23 July 2018
I did not love it, lots of benefits though. management very strict. I wish it was more lenient to be honest. sometimes prefer talking to coworkers over helping customer
Alright, but dont expect much
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2018
Idiot managers, petty staff, bad pay for such a "high end" retailer. Management expects a lot but does nothing to facilitate it. Customers very entitled and often rude
Pros
coworkers
Cons
bad hours, bad managment, bad pay
productive
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 June 2018
friendly environment and the good interaction between employees and employers motivated me to work 8 hours 5 days a week. i got very strong in communicate with people.
Decent part time job
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  North York, ON2 June 2018
Duties included greeting customers, ask them what they're looking for, helping them find what they're looking for and offer more and then walk them to cash.
Pros
Discount
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SPORTING LIFE. Our community is ready to answer.