Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Great discount, poor management
Associate Consultant (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK15 October 2019
Sportchek is the place where all students want to work at. It's a good place to work at, mostly because of the discount however the management is very poor. They seem to often push out older employees and substitute them for new ones for no reason. Most of the managers are a little too full of themselves as well, but could be a good first job.
Pros
Discount, coworkers, positive environment
Cons
Managment, scheduling
Loved my job
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2019
great place to work. I worked here for ages and absolutely loved my job. The management and perks were perfect and I couldn't have asked for a better place to develop my skills.
Fun and exciting
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2019
It is always sos fun working at sport chek, I always learn something from someone by interacting with customers. The staff and management are extremely friendly and caring. Never a dull and boring moment here.
Meh
Sales Associate and technician (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK29 September 2019
Great people that worked along side me. Management was a complete joke and the managers sit in the office for basically the whole day and do nothing..
working with things I was passionate about.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS24 September 2019
I very much enjoyed this job, just the commute everyday was very hard to handle. It would take me almost 3 hours to get home via bus transit. I also was only able to get there 5 minutes late or an hour early. so I would have to leave much earlier then I needed to.
Pros
passionate about sports.
Cons
the commute.
Has ups and downs
Service Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2019
Great place to work if you are a student or need some money on the side. Dead end minimum wage job, with somewhat poor management. Coworkers are great
Laid back, good for mnimum salary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 September 2019
pretty straight forward job, not too difficult, takes about a week of training. More or less just completely customer service. One of the easiest jobs you will find.
Sales associate
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 September 2019
Great atmosphere, great management, great perks. Crummy pay and crummy hours, but that's retail. Security but only room for advancements if there are openings in management.
terrible management
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2019
The management does not care about you, your education, your life, your health, or your priorities. I was told I need to prioritize Sportchek over graduating high school, that I need a doctor’s note when I call in sick that I have to pay for out of pocket, and ridiculed for, as a minor, “running to my parents for anything I need.” I’ve had my previously- set (3 weeks ahead) availability completely ignored a few times as well.
Official response from Sport Chek
9 October 2019

Sport Chek is committed to providing employees a safe and positive work environment across all of our stores in Canada. To ensure that we address any issues promptly, we provide a number of communication channels, including an anonymous ethics line, where employees can report any situation they believe falls short of our Business Code of Conduct without fear of reprisal. https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/39655/index.html
We would encourage you to visit the above link to provide us with the appropriate opportunity to investigate.

Volunteered experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC4 September 2019
I was more of a janitor or organizer then actually learned about retail but i guess with hard work you learn the foundations to become a better worker in the work force
Terrible workplace, definitely would not recommend applying here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2019
I worked for the company for nearly 3 years and have absolutely nothing good to say about it. Management is terrible company wide. I know many people who transferred between Sportcheks or worked at other stores in my city. Every manager at my store treated all the employees like they were stupid. Constant disrespect. 8 and a half hours shifts were only given one unpaid 30 minute break which I think is ridiculous considering we're on our feet all day. No chance to move up in the company, management position are few and far between. The only positive is the employee discount which is a big reason some people stay for so long.
Pros
Discount
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 September 2019
good place to work as a part time student. flexible hours with good discount, Staff and upper management are really nice and friendly. they allow you to choose if you would like to work part time or seasonal.
Loads of laughter and many learning techniques
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON1 September 2019
Sportchek is a fun environment, they work around schedules and you have many laughs working here. The managers make it worth coming into your shift it makes a fast shift go by and to know you enjoy who you work with is knowing you have good team players.
Good place, favouritism
Clothing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 August 2019
The sport chek I worked at was run by an obnoxious and uptight manager. He was good with my availability and worked around it however, favouritism was very noticeable. He would constantly schedule the same people and would schedule me even if I hadn't worked in a month or when only one person in my department was working and I was available.
A problem solving work environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 August 2019
A typical work day in the summer invovled creating bikes for customers from scratch, repairing bicycles by diagnosing them and then solving the problem. Reparing or building tennis rackets and badminton rackets, and sharpening skates. In the winter time a typical day involved maintenanceing skiis, snowboards, and skates. It was enjoyable at first but management made it difficult to enjoy the shifts as they tried to cut on costs by not hiring enough workers.
Understaffed and tiring days
CLOTHING ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2019
There were very high expectations every day which was alright for me. I was blamed a few times for things beyond my control. I was supposed to take a break at a certain time but the manager was in the office (I needed to have coverage on the floor) and the manager got upset with me for waiting for him to cover me when the other manager would've gotten mad if I had left on my break without having somebody covering for me.
Pros
discount
Depends where you work
Hardgoods Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON18 August 2019
It all depends which location you work at. With great co-workers comes great culture. You can run into some bad store managers how feed you a bad bill of goods about advancement within the company.
high class work environment
Foot Wear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodgrove BC12 August 2019
Extremely organized work place.
Every employee and mangers is made sure that we are all on top of every task new shipment and products that come into the store. booking time off trading and picking up shifts was done so easily and in seconds on the day-force app. the managers and other employees push each other to work at their very best abilities. Wood grove sport chek provided me with my first job and it was by far my favorite place to work, we all became a family there.
Pros
too many
Cons
they didn't sell air pods
Great co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 August 2019
Sport chek is a great place to make friends and gain good customer service experience. The only down side to working in my location is that the managers are not the best. It isn’t specific things it’s just how they operate doesn’t work for most people who work there.
fun job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2019
great job
great employees
cool environment
learned about product knowledge
learned good customer service
helped customers and greeted them
great learning experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.