Sport Chek
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Not the greatest , nor the best either

sport check is great company to work for but it comes with its own perks. There are many departments, the Saddest place to work would be as tech there, Reason being is that Technician require's some hands on skills. which should technically need to get paid more , but that's not the case. Management sucks.

Pros

discount

Cons

managment

Great first job

Great place to work, great first job. Flexible hours good team environment and. Management was great. Good training process to learn about the products they sell.

Pros

Flexible hours

Chill

I enjoyed working here the management was okay kind of picked favourites and grumpy at times but the employees were very nice. The store was fairly quiet at times

Pros

Chill and good benefits

Cons

Management was kind of rude

Company has gone downhill

Experience depends greatly on location (ie. store size, geographic area, etc). Learned a lot of different skills and acquired immense product knowledge and had great management, felt like the company cared. Great employee discount. Unfortunately far less effort is put into training new employees, and little interest in retaining employees. Constantly pushing new metrics and goals without adequate compensation. Full time and management have far more responsibilities than most other retail locations. Best suited for part time students who just want something flexible a few hours a week.

Pros

flexible, pretty easy, discount

Cons

high expectations low pay

Difficult Dynamic

I have been employed at sportchek for over 3 years now, in that time working part time and full time. When I first started the job, it was fun and I enjoyed being there. However, towards the end of when I was working full time and decided to leave the full time position, it became more stress than anything. The manager that was always out on the floor helping was great, and was heavily involved in making sure things worked out in all aspects and that things were fun. However the store manager was extremely uninvolved in anything going on in the store. You were lucky to see this manager out on the floor for more than 5 minutes a day. Somehow this still lead to a mass amount of disorganization on the back end of things, and it was very clear our other manager was trying to put out every flame, with no support from anyone. The pay is also extremely unfair, and it doesn't matter how long you've been employed there, requesting a raise is pointless and will not happen.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Unfair pay, poor management

Stay away from this company!

I worked here for several years and honestly have no idea how I made it through for so long. A toxic, terrible company that lures you in with a great discount that makes you want to stay. The company does not care about it's employees, something that was made abundantly clear throughout this pandemic. No matter how awful or how many complaints there are about a manager, the company doesn't do anything about them. Just turns a blind eye and pretends they have no idea what's going on inside your store. After being with the company for a long time I realized it wasn't just my store but multiple stores that issues with this. They say they have a 'no retaliation' policy for making complaints to HR but they most certainly do not uphold it. Then, as if all of that isn't enough to make you want to go running for the hills, they expect you to shove the Canadian Tire Mastercard down every customers throat. No thank you! Finally left the company and won't ever look back.

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Toxic work environment/ poor management

horrible place to work especially the one in langley

treated me like I was nothing to them. it was the worst job i ever had i wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. the footwear manager was the worst of them all.

Pros

literally nothing at all

Cons

everything

Major customer stresses

Great company with benefitsGood management as peopleBut rude and few offensive customers were nightmares!I was the head technician and as usual, the whole service department was getting a fraction of the attention as the sales floor.Inherently not well lit. a lot of fixtures and organization needed to b way better especially compared to the sales floor OMG. My predecessor felt the same way.Hi turnaround rate.

Pros

Benefits. Lots of work yr. round. Good experience/training.

Cons

Lots o work! Poorly maintained service dept.

Very poor management

Worked here for 5 years and I honestly can't believe I didn't quit sooner. The management cares only about their own self interest and does not help on on the floor. They sit in the back and gossip no matter how busy it is. The one positive is they'll usually give you the shifts you want so its a good part time if you are playing sports or in full time school.

Good starter job

Worked there out of high school. great team environment, always laughing, and getting the team excited about work. The staff is a lot to high school aged people, which is expected in retail.

Pros

discount, a management that cares

Cons

retail, no consistent shifts

Good place for part-time work for students

This is a good place if you are a student looking for part-time work. Pretty standard min wage retail job. You go on a 3 month probation period after getting hired. You will get a daily irate customer here and there per shift. Some days, more than others. The company provides training modules before going on the floor. Alot of high schoolers and early college/university students get hired so don't expect everyone to be very knowledgeable and competent in their sections. The workplace culture is like a highschool. It can be catty at times but depends who you work with. Management can be toxic at times as some of them are quite young and just want to power trip. My advice to upper management is to provide any full-timer/supervisor/manager with proper training so they can be more effective at their roles.As long as you learn your section and do your job, management will leave you alone.

Pros

Discount on products

Cons

Management keeps bad employees instead of letting them go.

High stress negative work environment

-Skills development in people management skills-Store Manager lack leadership , no growth or personal development for store employees or its management. -Workplace is toxic and lot of favouritism.-Work schedule is very bad and long hours.-The most enjoyable part of the job is that its fast pace time goes very fast.

Pros

Store Discounts

Very disappointing

- Day starts and ends with stress- Absolutely no room for growth as bunch of oldies sitting on the seat for over 15+ years - Most enjoyable part of the job is while clocking out

Pros

Good benefits for Full-time employees ( that's literally the only pros I know )

Cons

Absolutely zero work life balance, SGM approves if you are allowed to USE your OWN vacation hours or not, Biased environment where SGM pampers his 2-3 favourite employees by giving them everything they want, get a feeling of racism from Sgm

Stressful, disorganized company with no regard for employees

I wouldn’t recommend taking an SGM position with this company to my worst enemy. No support or resources available. Promises never kept. Employees paid poorly, even salaried employees. Store general managers are simple figureheads with little to no autonomy or ability to make decisions for the store or the employees without the ok from several higher ups. Support is offered but never given. Canadian Tire owns Sport Chek and there is little cohesive communication between the two leading to frustrating blunders on a regular basis. If you like to manage and have a plan, sport chek is not for you. Any plan will be thrown out the window by circumstances outside of your control, which is a daily, if not hourly occurrence. There are employees that somehow ‘slip through the cracks’ and work there for years without a raise, aside from minimum wage increasing for part timers. They will do anything possible to avoid paying anyone any more than they feel they ‘have to’ and everything done in the public eye is to save face and look better than they are. It’s 2021 and they are only just starting to think about diversity, inclusion and belonging in the work place. In short, this company is a joke. 10/10 would not recommend.

Pros

Merchandise discount

Very poorly managed location

The amount of training/product knowledge that you're given is the same as you were a customer that walked in off the street. On my first day the manager didn't even speak to me and I was given zero instructions/direction.Their availability expectations are unrealistic. I had 6 shifts in 3 months. I wouldn't be on the schedule for two weeks at a time. If you're thinking about getting a second job forget about it. The manager is completely unwilling to meet you halfway and work with your availability. He would approve your availability in the app and still schedule you days that you're not available. The schedule would only be posted 1-2 days in advanced which doesn't make for any work life balance. Sportchek also doesn't believe that they should give their employees any paid breaks. Be prepared to work the one and only 5 hour shift that you get, without one.

It's fine when you're in highschool

Honestly, the older you get the worse it is working here. Everyone is very immature, everyone is constantly talking behind everyone's backs. There are no hours for the staff, but then they still hire new people, and then there is barely any work to be done. terrible management, half the time the keyholders/ managers sit in the office on their phone/ gossiping, not to mention there is such a quick turnover with management that it's just not worth working here. Not to mention the company will literally try and scam you from your promised raises. There are no yearly reviews anymore, so it's impossible to get a raise (at least at this location due to management turnover). Like I said, it's only decent as a high school student when you only want part-time hours and don't want the responsibility.

Pros

discount

Cons

no hours, overstaffed, terrible management cosntantly changing.

Management sucks they don’t care about you

They only care about you doing your work so they get paid more they are lazy and they only want you to get mastercards so they don’t look bad in front of the big bosses

Pros

Discount is great

Cons

Management sucks

Great place to work!

I thoroughly enjoyed working here, the management was strict but not without a cause. Very friendly staff, everyone always worked together as a team and always had each-others backs. It was fast paced during promotions or holidays, so remaining calm and collected are important skills to have. Working there allowed you to have a discount on products which is always a plus. Over-all, an enjoyable experience and would definitely recommend anyone applying for this position.

Pros

Discounts, great team work environment, good location - easy to get too.

Great first job

Really enjoyable place to work if you’re just a part time highschool or college/university student. Trying to make a career at sportchek is near to impossible with low chance of growth throughout the company. Management is usually stuck in their ways, don’t take criticism or other opinions very well. Head Office also very useless.

Pros

Discount

Cons

No room for growth

Poor management but great discount

I worked at a SportChek for almost a year. I was told I would be getting a full-time position in soft goods (clothing); however, it was a total lie. I don't suggest this company to anyone. The management is not so friendly, nor are certain co-workers. SportChek has workplace politics like any other retail store. Management made employees clean washrooms; when they had enough money to hire third-party cleaners. You would be yelled at if you did not stop a theft from occurring (never risk your own safety!) Certain people would get privileges because they worked in the back. Long story short, I was basically doing the work of a full-time employee; while being treated and getting paid the same as part-time employees. If you're looking for a part-time gig, great this place has an awesome discount. If you're looking for full-time employment, look elsewhere.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Long hours, workplace politics, bad management, horrible washrooms and lunchroom

Great coworkers, annoying corporate

Great place to work as a student. The management will go the extra mile for you if you’re a good employee, and everybody you work with is super friendly. Not to mention the discount is absolutely unbeatable. Standing on your feet for long periods of time can absolutely kill, so wear the right sneakers. There’s never ending pressure to promote the Triangle Scan Card or the “Triangle MasterCard” which is super tedious. 9/10 people aren’t gonna listen to a teenager about the benefits of a credit card. The distribution warehouse disorganizes stock horrendously, and the systems for stock locating crash every week. The pay isn’t liveable if you are living on your own.

Pros

Great Coworkers, Great Discount, Terrific Management

Cons

TRiAnGLe LoYaLtY, disorganized head office and systems, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement