Sport Chek Employee Reviews

comfortable and fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON23 May 2019
I loved working here as it was a fun environment with lots of friendly coworkers and managers. I was always busy and had the opportunity to communicate extensively with a variety of customers.
Absolutely amazing
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2019
the people that you work with are absolutely amazing and I definitely didn’t expect to feel that welcomed so quick but it was such a nice transition! Customers are super great there and everyone feels like family!!
Management was unstable
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2019
Turn over was high in management and seemed to reflect on how part-time and full-time employees dealt with working culture. Good to better interpersonal skills.
Pros
Discount
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 May 2019
Management turnover is high, so things are always changing. There is no consistency with expectations and often the objectives of different managers conflict with one another, which creates a lot of confusion among staff. Managmenet strategies and objectives are often pooly implemented and make little sense, and usually create more problems than they solve. Staff are mostly high school age students, which can be both good and bad at times.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management
Fun workplace, but can be stressful at times
Sale Advisor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 May 2019
- Fun workplace but it is a retail job keep that in mind
- no commission
- doesn't matter what department you are in if one doesn't have enough staff it will get assigned to you
Pros
flexible schedule, discount
Cons
no commission
Amazing Workplace Environment
Footwear Sales (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2019
I learned about creating, progressing and maintaining a relationship with customers throughout my time at sportchek. I have made many friends, the workplace environment is always super positive and motivating.
Toxic Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 May 2019
I worked at sportchek for a couple of years. Overall the job isn't hard in the slightest regard with mundane tasks given out daily and most staff are pleasant, where the foundation starts to get shaky is with the attempted hierarchy they present. People with seniority more often than not managers act as if they are entitled to treating you poorly whether its by verbal abuse, unsafe work scenarios, or disrespectful mannerisms. Even if you perform adequately on countless occasions you will be berated when you slip up one time, most managers hound you to multitask and are never satisfied with what you have accomplished. Its best not to take what is said to you at face value as their intentions are to manipulate you into thinking they are proud of you when in reality they are talking about you behind your back, again this isn't all managers but its shocking that most act this way when they are in their mid twenties to early thirties. Upper management inst exempted either, i understand the ideals of retail and how companies try to create profit in any shape, way, or form by squeezing every ounce out of their workers but its uncharacteristic for it too be done in such an immature manner with little to no actual respect (they pretend to like you) given to part time employees.

Highly recommend unionizing the workplace to better protect the rights of the employee.
Pros
Free lunches for events
Cons
Toxic/Untrustworthy Environment
decent starting job
Hard Goods Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 May 2019
culture has changed over time and employees are no longer valued accordingly
particular location where safe work procedures are ignored by management in order to maintain sale goals
becoming a company that tries to push product without regard for customers
Fun work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 May 2019
Fun work environment and employees. Layout of the store is a bit condensed but can be worked on to improve and make larger to make it easier to find the items looked for.
no good
Sales Associate - footwear department (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON lime ridge2 May 2019
the work environment was not welcoming, everyone except me was hired because of nepotism, the boss bill was a mean person and I could expect one shift per week maximum, maybe other stores different but don't work at the lime ridge location
Pros
good discounts
Cons
terrible staff
Enjoyable Part of Job
Clothing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 April 2019
I play hockey and I got to surround myself in an environment that I loved to be apart of and got to share my knowledge with the customers that came into the store!
productive fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2019
great work environment full of like-minded athletic individuals who most often go through rigiors job application and training. also offers great benefits to workers
The discount was good... but that’s about it..
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON27 April 2019
It’s was one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had. Management is horrible and abbusive. Was written up for a simple mistake during training. Was fired for being in the hospital. TThey cut hours like crazy and use unethical scare tactics. They threatened our whole staff saying they would cut our hours down to basically nothing if we didn’t get more sales. Cashiers were yelled at for things that were other departments faults.
I personally was treated horribly by staff and management because I was a younger crew member. When I told management about the way I was being treated by my co workers they told me there was nothing they could do
Pros
Discount
Cons
Horrible management, unfair treatment, work place gossip
Great job, but management needs work
Service Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2019
I worked with the company for 3 years as a service shop technician. I felt that the work we did truly enhanced the customer experience, but management never understood how vital a position we held. We constantly faced hour cuts and were often scrambling to get all the work done with a skeleton crew (I was often working alone).

On top of completing work for customers, we often had high bike build quotas that were unattainable with how little hours we had. And then when we didn't meet the quota, the blame would pass from management onto the technicians. Trust me, the technicians worked hard, but it never seemed to be enough.

Besides this though, the job itself was enjoyable. I learned many useful skills that I can apply in the future and the other employees and I got along great. The best part of the job was the discount though. I really enjoy playing sports and being outdoors so it was nice to be able to buy the equipment I needed at a discounted price.

All in all, a great job, but management needs to pay more attention to the service shop.
Great Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2019
Sportchek is a great organization that employs thousands nationwide. The management is good and the fellow co-workers make the shifts more enjoyable while giving customers excellent service.
Okay, but no hours.
Hardgoods Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 April 2019
I didn't get hours like I was promised when I was hired. Although its a good workplace and environment, I still need money. But the discount is crazy good.
poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 April 2019
They keep hiring more staff and not giving senior staff more hours. They do not care about loyalty, customer service or knowledge. They have capable knowledgeable staff who want more than part time hours but they just keep hiring new part time staff instead of increasing hours for existing staff.
Pros
good discount
Cons
no hours
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK17 April 2019
good good good good good good place to work and good atmosphere but meant for kids that are still in high school and not a career whatsoever at all ever
Great Place to work
Pit Technician (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON16 April 2019
Great place to work. The staff and managers were always exceptionally friendly and easy to get along with. The customer interactions were also very fun, as people were sometimes making big purchases, it was fun to help them decide.
Pros
Good breaks
In simple words, it’s retail.
Clothing Dept. Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 April 2019
If you’re interested in the retail route there’s no reason why to not apply for the position! Lots of staff so you’re bound to make some friends, however, if you’re looking for money this may not be the best choice.. it’s typically minimum wage ( there are raises if earned) but no commission which really sucks. ** discount is amazing** part time job 100% recommend, full time job.. I recommend you try serving instead and at least make tips!
Pros
Tons of staff, great discount
Cons
Money isn’t great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.