Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Canadian Tire has destroyed the culture here
Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 April 2018
I have worked for Sport Chek for quite a few years now, and it had a very positive culture even during the tough times in the past. But ever since the Canadian Tire has really taken over the culture has completely changed and gone down hill. You are now a number that they don't care about and are not afraid of giving you your walking papers with out any notice or reason. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES AT ALL! and instead have chosen to rule by a culture of fear. CT has gotten rid of a lot of long term good hard working people, and then bring people from CT head office in "to get in their people".
Pros
Great Discount, thats it.
Cons
Slashing store hours, working managers to the bone where they have barely enough hours to provide coverage for the stores, forcing managers to put in extra hours.
Productive and Great Atmosphere
FOOTWEAR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Dieppe, NB21 April 2018
Enjoyed customer banter, weekly activities and the care brought from the workplace. Stimulating environment with lots to learn about overall wellness and healthcare.
Fun atmosphere to work in and great company to support
Sport Chek - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS18 April 2018
When I first started working there the management team was amazing. They created a workplace where we came to have fun and learn about the products we were selling. I developed great people skills. Sport Chek is a great place to work especially for those who enjoy active lifestyles and are willing to share their experiences. The company taught me that its not all about just selling the product but even more about making a connection and sharing all that you know.
Pros
Salary
I would never work here again.
Assist Customers (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB17 April 2018
I found sportchek to be one of the worst jobs. It was boring no room for advancement managers never listened to associates wants/needs. Not a lot of hours available either
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
Fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 April 2018
great place to work the people there are friendly and are easy to work around your schedule so that makes life less stressful especially for a part time student
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 April 2018
A good place to work and develop customer service skills. Often provides flexible work hours, a good environment for healthy athletic individuals, great discount.
Seasonal employment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 April 2018
I was hired as a seasonal employee at Sportchek in Belleville, Ontario. I was hired for the winter season, with all of the holidays within (Black Friday, Christmas Eve, and Boxing Day) Throughout my time there I was treated great and loved working there.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Slow at times
Favourite place to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 April 2018
Friendly environment. The major part of the job is always ensuring customers are happy and satisfied. Employees get along incredibly well even under times of high pressure. Managers are understanding, kind, and most importantly make sure you're doing your job well. They will give advice on where to improve whenever they see somewhere you can. Employees have a lot of respect for their managers. Management is incredibly organized. Coworkers and managers give off the impression that they actually enjoy their job and helping people, which is essential in retail but not often seen to the degree that I've seen it at this company. Lots of face-to-face customer service. Very good job to build customer experience both face-to-face and on the phone. Here your job is to find customers to help and make sure they are satisfied. Only retail job I've had where I end the shift on a high note happy that I helped people that day.
Pros
Friendly staff, positive environment, employee discount, feel-good job
Review
CASHIER/ ONLINE ORDER FULFILL (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON12 April 2018
SportChek is a great place to work. SportChek is a great company to work for a they work around your schedule. The company in energetic and positive who is willing to do anything to help out the community.
Pros
Choose your schedule
Cons
Work every weekend
Supported a keenness to learn
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 April 2018
As a cashier, I was in charge of all transactions that involved store merchandise. I also directed phone calls and took on a minor customer service role when faced with an unhappy customer. This position allowed me to understand the handling of cash and large transactions, whether they were purchases or returns.
Pros
Amazing Staff
Cons
Repetitive
Love it here!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2018
I have been working at Sportchek for a few months now and I absolutely love it! All of my managers are extremely understanding and they make sure tasks are done on time and efficiently but, make the experience positive and welcoming. My coworkers are now some of my good friends and the environment overall at Sportchek is extremely positive and non stressful.
Pros
Amazing managers and coworkers
Cons
Only receive breaks after 5.5 hours
I had a really good experience working at sports chek
EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 April 2018
My co-workers were nice cooperative. They were pretty cooperative when it came to working as a team in order to acheive a certain goal.They pay was good.
I really loved working here
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 April 2018
I work with great people
I have very approachable and supportive managers
I have grown as an individual through working there
My work ethic has flourished
I have been recognized for my achievements
Although I don't feel I get paid fairly

That being said, I never look for a job based solely off the wage, I need to be surrounded with positive people as well. Being with the company for so long I feel very appreciative to have had the opportunity to learn so much and money could never change that.
Pros
Good atmosphere (people and vibe), fun discount
Cons
Unfair wages, short breaks
Was a good time
Sales (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 April 2018
Generally a very positive environment where sales associates can feel comfortable talking to potential buyers about their products. Plenty of opportunity for staff education and advancement.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low pay
a typical day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON2 April 2018
a normal day at sportchek is coming in checking where you are assigned and just cleaning till your shift is over while assisting customers while needed
Pros
great discount
Cons
poor team manager
I worked there seasonally
Order Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS1 April 2018
It was a pleasant atmosphere, and I enjoyed working with the people there. Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to continue working there after the seasonal period.
Pros
Friendly team
Great environment to work in.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 March 2018
Place was always clean, work was well distributed between all the employees. Turns were taken to clean things up. work load was balanced. management ( only some ) was not that great.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
Too far.
Great employees, horrible management and hours
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 March 2018
Management picks favourites to get all the hours while others receive next to none. When first starting out hours come regularly, but as you keep working the hours get smaller and smaller until you are taken off schedule all together. Management is hard to reach, scheduling sucks and customers are very rude. Also, back to school is insane. Best part is having great coworkers, discount, and customer service experience.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, customers, bad hours
Sports
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Edmonton common29 March 2018
It’s a good environment to gain experience. Gain knowledge about sports I don’t play. Can make me interested in gaming for knowledge on being a sales person.
Pros
Lunch breaks
Cons
Busy
Can be a fun place to work, friendly staff, bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC23 March 2018
Bad management to work for, hours varied drastically week to week. Very little stability, no benefits unless you were a manager. Employee discount was good, but limited to how much you can spend.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No commission

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.