Sport Chek

Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Canada895 reviews

cheksportdiscountretailstorefavouritefootwearclothing

Easy job

You really aren’t asked to do much, this job is perfect for students. Pay is minimum and could never get hours after the holiday rush. Some really great managers and some weird ones.

Bad

Assistant Managemener is terrible. And corporate is like a cult that tries to suck the life out of you under sugar coated manipulation. Everyone is stressed and everyone is either with you or against you no matter what happens.

Insights into Sport Chek

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Trust in colleagues

Decent place to work, don’t pay enough

Decent first job for a lot of people, I worked as a technician in the service shop for about 10 years. I found in my later years with the company I was getting paid less than cashiers because I couldn’t push Mastercards (as the job pretty much requires you to put your head down and work on equipment). For the work you’ll deal with industrial belt sanders and chemicals but not get any hazard pay. The service shops in general are overlooked by the company, old tools and machines, lack of ventilation (in the service shop), makeshift racks for customer equipment. My service shop was top 10 in the country for sales and we had machines that were on the verge of breaking and no sign of upgrades or replacement any time soon. Expect to be overlooked, underpaid and over worked.

Pros

Great staff, managers are nice, good with school

Cons

Underpaid, short staffed, overlooked in the company

Good place

Decent first job i enjoyed my time here with the employees and management. Good discount as well while being involved in athletics. They also do a good job introducing you to new equipment

Pros

Part time

Cons

Holiday hours

Enjoyed

Great employee discount pretty chill place, can be a little boring depending on what sportchek you work at. Co workers were great aswell overall well experience

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Not a lot of shifts

Dysfunctional work environment

Management is dysfunctional. Had theft attempts almost everyday at the store, customers are very rude, little to no training, run by a bunch of teenagers.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work, mostly always positive. Management is good, can get the odd one who isn't...just like any job. Pay isn't great, worked for many years to get a few cents more then minimum. They never bumped your wage with minimum wage going up. Great discount! As a cashier you have to be comfortable asking customers alot of questions(donations,master card sales, email) Overall a good place to work and still have fun.

Pretty basic carrier gig

Entry wage was to be expected, the management team was friendly and approachable. Probably a good part-time or first job. Decent discount when I was there.

It was east with great benefits

I have worked at Sportchek for almost three years now and I have to say that it has been a great experience. The company is very organized and the employees are friendly and helpful. I have never felt like I was not able to ask for help when I needed it. The company also has a great training program that helps new employees learn the ropes quickly. Overall, I have had a great experience working at Sportchek and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great place to work.

Promised raise and never got it

I worked with a bunch of lazy 15 year olds that wouldn't do any work. I had to do everything for my department and I was promised a raise for my hard work, but never received any compensation.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Over worked, under appreciated

Great Place

Great place to work! They treat you fairly an as long as you have a good attitude the job is pretty easy outside of having to lift some heavy things on occasion.

Fun work environment + great benefits

If you enjoy interacting with different types of people, SportChek is for you. Overall, it is a pretty fun work environment with a very friendly team. The discounts are also very good.

Pros

Chill enviornment, discounts

Cons

Worked there for 3 years as a technician, raises were given to the <3 month hardgoods employees

Just as the title says, I received no raises even after completing pretty much every training module possible, going above and beyond, and becoming a technician. I was there for 3 years, I did not received a raise once that was for anything other than to match minimum wage. Near the end of my time there I discovered the 16 year olds who had been hired 3 months prior in hardgoods, who were coming to me for help consistently, were being paid more than I was. When I brought it up to management, they apologized and did nothing.

Pros

Wonderful employee discount

Cons

Minimum wage

Don’t bother!!

Underpaid and micro managed from above! No respect for their workers and no recognition for anything done. The laziest workers suck up when the big wigs come around and receive all the accolades!

Pros

None!

Cons

Low pay

Good work life balance

Hours are good and hard workers are valued by their local managers, even if the corporate structure encourages high turnover. There's not really a good retention strategy for great workers and it seems like corporate thinks they can just replace trained knowledgeable staff with brand new untrained new hires. However good local managers will do everything they can to provide hard workers as many hours as possible and you will feel valued.The hours are within basic mall hours so normally not super early or super late, which leads to a good work life balance.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

Low wages

Productive and fun

Good job for students who can’t work full time. Flexible hours and good employee discount. High paced work environment. Good job for starting a career in sale.

Pros

Nice atmosphere

Cons

Managment

not a very good company

Very bad management and hours. Expect way too much work for little pay. Would not recommend working for this company unless it is your only option left.

Too stressful

Too stressful to work . No one will appreciate your efforts. Alot of work with minimum pay and while dealing with rude customers every day making your day worse at work

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Stressful environment

Laid back

Lots of fun. Holidays can be busy, then you’ll have slow periods. Meet all sorts of people and sell all sorts of things. Lots of training potential and good discounts.

Fun workplace with awesome discounts

Very good active and busy atmosphere. They only hire you if you are engaged in any kind of sports or physical activity so you feel that spirit all day as everyone is talking about their activities and inspiring you. Awesome discounts for you & your friends and family.

Pros

Employee discount on all brands

Cons

Basic Pay + very very busy store

Management issues

Working here for over 3 years and I feel like its always been the same no matter which store and which manager you work with, maybe out of 8 managers I've had 2 good ones and 6 bad ones. They will talk down to you and hound you all while not doing any work themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement