Sport Chek Employee Reviews

Fun, energetic place - great work culture if you have an active lifestyle
Shipper-Receiver/SSC (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 December 2018
I worked for sportchek for several years and stayed with the company because all three locations I worked at had fantastic people. The work-life balance is generally great for those who have an active lifestyle and sport commitments. They want you to care about these things and so in turn it's a priority to accommodate your extra-curricular activities. Can't beat the discount on gear either.
Unfortunately, unless you become a Manager there's very little room for promotion or wage-increase. But if you're young and looking to get some experience under your belt, I recommend Sportchek.
Pros
Fantastic store discounts, lasting friendships, fun and active atmosphere
Cons
Annual wage increase is very small and not much room to advance
Accommodating, easy and understanding
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS19 December 2018
The managers at sportchek are all very understanding. They give you lots of vacation time and time off (if you are part time), your hard work is recognized, the employee discount is outstanding, and it is a very laid back environment with lots of jokes and comfortability. The workplace, however, can get toxic if the employees do not like you. There is lots of gossip and cliques. If you don't fit it, it can be hard to adapt and adjust to coworkers. However, the manager seems to be aware of this and will call people out if they are being mean (you will always feel like the management has your back).
Pros
Lots of leeway with your schedule and great management
Cons
Workplace culture can feel like high school
Management and staff were horrible. HR also sucks
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC26 January 2019
Managers were rude, completely unprofessional, and staff were very cliquey. Constant arguments between staff and also staff and management, swearing over the headset etc. If you need time off, they fire you and then write that you quit, HR is no help either.
Pros
discount is great, cost +10%, they do raise money for jumpstart charity
Cons
management, staff, environment, pay
Terrible management with no opportunities to move up or make more than minimum wage.
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 January 2019
Store management is a joke. Petty, immature, confrontational, does not give any one an opportunity to talk before yelling at them for being wrong. Does not listen to anyone else’s ideas. Hard to work in a place where you’re expected to be happy and friendly, but management fails to do so even with their staff. Will often get in trouble or be embarrassed in front of customers. Favouritism is real. You will work here for over five years and make $1 above minimum wage. No recognition for a job well done. Good discount.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Management, salary, no opportunity to move up
Minimum wage slavery
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  British Columbia26 January 2019
Good starter job nothing else. Company pays you the absolute minimum and expect your blood, sweat and tears in return. Management is completely favouritism, so if you aren't liked or with the "crowd" you will be left out, and you will notice it. No room for growth or even a $1 raise.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Low pay, poor management, no room for growth
Enjoyed all years I worked with this company
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB2 December 2018
There was not much of advancement opportunity and my pay rate stayed the same. I believe my 4 years of experience and training abilities are worth more than a new hire. The culture here is amazing and management was very understanding.
Pros
great people
Cons
Late nights
not many opportunities to move up
Sales Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2018
As someone who has been given two advancements at Sportchek I can say it is not easy for most employees. Management depends on location but is usually lacking in communication. Great benefits to working for the company such as flexible schedules and great employee purchase programs. It is overall a good part time job.
its a job
Clothing Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 July 2018
-Being a clothing advisor, you just fold, organize and maintain cleanliness in your department and you're expected to ensure every customer is greeted and helped if needed.
-Working more than 5 hours definitely feels like time isn't moving, especially because they enforce the "rule" workers aren't to chat with one another. makes working very lonely, sometimes you'll rely on customers for socialization :(
-Discount was great and coworkers are awesome, but management is what gets you. they're great and friendly at first but you see their true colours and how power hungry, condescending and how out of touch they are with employees. they expect everyone to follow the rules but don't do so with themselves.
-But the discount is great so i guess thats nice (cost plus 10% but must be regular price, cant stack discounts)
Pros
discount is cost plus 10% (thats about half off the ticket price)
Cons
management is condescending, advancement is out of the question
Good environment, not many hours
Sales Associate/Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2019
Working at Sportchek is exciting if you're into athletics. The people and culture are amazing however you are not given many hours. Management is organised and there are never any issues.
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 October 2018
great workplace culture.
flexible hours.
great management.
learned a lot on how to be a good team player.
learned about the business aspect of the retail store(when to mark up or mark down a product, price matching, 30 day price guarantee, and other retail/sales techniques)
Pros
great employee discounts
A fun, welcoming atmosphere to work in with amazing clientele
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON29 January 2019
A typical day at Sportchek consisted of cleaning, helping customers with sizing, certain fits and any questions they had about items in our clothing department
This job taught me how to be patient and build a trusting relationship with the customer.
The management changed three times while I was working there so it was not very stable but all managers were understanding and reliable.
The most enjoyable part of the job was how well we worked as a team
Pros
having a second family at work
Cons
closing was difficult as I was the only one in my department
Sneaky Management
Footwear/Clothing Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 December 2018
Awful place to work, have worked with this company for 5 years and never have I been so disgusted with the management and company. New Department manager harassing younger females, making many of them uncomfortable and scared to come work, digging up personal information about them and messaging them daily. When brought up to store manager, nothing gets done, nothing at all. Disgusted and embarrassed to have worked here for half a decade. Do yourself a favor and don’t even apply to the Victoria Square location. Sexism and Male dominance is alive in this location.
Pros
Cons
Managers
Official response from Sport Chek
14 January 2019

Thank you for your review. We have forwarded your comments and concerns to the appropriate team to review. Sport Chek is committed to providing employees a safe and positive work environment across all of our stores in Canada. To ensure that we address any issues promptly, we provide a number of communication channels, including an anonymous ethics line, where employees can report any situation they believe falls short of our Business Code of Conduct without fear of reprisal. https://secure.ethicspoint.com/domain/media/en/gui/39655/index.html

Great place during school
Order Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 December 2018
Im a university student and working at sportchek is great. Really great for during school as they are very understanding about school work and your availability. Stress free environment which is perfect during university life. I will say however there is not a lot of opportunity of advancement, been in the same position for a year now and dont really see a future at the company unless in corporate but not sure i can make my way there without applying for a corporate position.
decent first job
Head Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
some mangers where pretty terrible but overall not a bad place to work. the pay was not very good and the managers would never give raises. i was doing more than mangers and basically getting paid minimum wage.
Short future
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON25 May 2018
I worked for FGL for over 10 years, holding different positions within the company, from; Sales associate, Purchasing Analyst, Jr. Buyer, Manager. You name it, I've done it. But the company has taken a serious turn in its culture and future after the purchase by CTC. People just stopped caring, managers became untrainable and to be honest, knowing they cannot be terminated, they stopped working. Sportchek was the pillar and trend setter within the athletic community, but today, its full of unmotivated employees. Stores are falling apart or closing, staff is rude and managers are never around when you need one. I won't even get into under staffing and 'Online Only" sales, that have driven business downwards. I was a proud employee and wore my career happily, but once the powers that be started caring less, so did everyone else and now you have wasted retail space.
adsad
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  AB4 November 2018
Excelled in customer support for selection of appropriate sporting goods to fit their needs and abilities.

Provided knowledge based information towards all products and services available in store

Effective communication with customers and peers to ensure timely and accurate customer experience

Responsible for opening and closing of store and training new associates

Managed returns and exchanges to ensure customer satisfaction, resolving grievances

Accurate cash management, performed independently

Fostered lasting customer relationships
Sportchek
Footwear Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 January 2019
Sportchek was my first real job, at first I absolutely loved the job but now working there for a couple years and the original staff leaving and new ones coming in I look for a new job everyday, the current management at my location are very discourteous. As for being a student and working part time the hours I'm given are unreasonable. However, the job is very easy to learn and i adore my coworkers .
Pros
work being done is fun and pretty easy to learn
Cons
management
Wonderful place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC4 September 2018
Management is great and tries hard to find like minded people who maintain an active lifestyle. Culture is amazing and a great place to work. Coming to work everyday was easy.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Customer service can be trying at times
O.k. Place to work, but Not a career vocation.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  GTA26 January 2019
This company provides training with minimal guidance or oversight. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Here is what you need to know, now it’s up to you to use the information and speak with customers. There is no commission so no hard and fast sales quota. I’m sure each location has a budget set down by corporate but how that is calculated is above my pay grade, literally. Minimum wage is the norm or perhaps slightly above, maybe.
With a company making 3.48 billion in revenue Canadian Tire is the parent company with Marks and Sport Chek as included components it’s sad that employees are not offered better pay.
Government mandated minimum wage doesn’t mean companies can’t offer a better salary. No wonder most employees are part time rated rather than full time. Not having to offer any type of benefit puts more revenue in the pockets of everyone else up the chain of command. And on that segway there is no opportunity for vertical advancement within the company. Here is your position, thank you. It’s a little funny how managers are differentiated from mere employees by a collar on their shirt, cute eh ? The employee discount coupled with the fact that you are indoors with no real heavy lifting to do and no quotas to meet is a reason to work here for a short period of time. I can’t see making a career or for that matter a living working here. Managers for the most part are fine and easy to get along with, no reason not to.
For younger people a good in between job while looking to land that dream job or career.
Pros
Discounts on products, warm, cool, dry, no heavy lifting
Cons
Poor wages, no advancement vertically, no benefits
Fast paced job with minimal training
Hardgoods manager (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK3 September 2018
store managers generally hide in the office talking about changing the work culture. They hire new employees and provide them with awful training and expect them to learn as they go.
Pros
discount
Cons
management. training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.