Sport Chek

Canada762 reviews

Insights into Sport Chek

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager

Great for first job and a very good place to meet new people as well.

overall good working environment however, there has been a change of pace due to the management. Co-workers are very friendly and welcoming and a great job for people with no experience.

Pros

The discount is amazing

Cons

Management issues - for my location specifically and not a lot of training

Good place for temporary work

Great place to work if your a student or dont mind minimum wage and want balance payments and time woukdnt recommend if you want to make money or save for anything.

Amazing working environment that fosters learning.

A typical day at work consists of opening the department, making sure the department is clean and set up for customers to easily find things. Providing a high level of customer service is a key part of the day, if the customer I'm helping leaves happy then I'm happy. I've learned many things from Sportchek, namely operations, and how to delegate. Sportchek's management team is pretty awesome, a lot of them are my age and I've known them from working within the company. My co-workers and I have a great relationship, there's a couple that have been there from my original hiring date, and a couple new people but overall everybody knows that we are all trying to attain the same goal, and that is great customer service while meeting a budget. The hardest part of the job for me is the operational side, at times its hard to keep up with the amount of changes being made. The most enjoyable part of the job is when my customers leave happy and with what they were looking for.

Management isn’t always greatest

The training is not the greatest, they just throw you on till. Managers often taken there stress out on their employees. They often pressure you for there own benefits.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Managers

Productive and fun workspace.

A productive and collaborative work environment for students. Coworkers are fun which makes the job easier and more enjoyable. Once fully trained the job is easy and does not vary. Typically are doing the same thing every shift. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

Really good discount!

Cons

Amount of hours/shift you get can change.

Awesome place to work! Management is wonderful and we assist one another, a second family.

We work as a team and can really depend on one another if we need it. A great community of people. If we need someone to take a shift, we just message one another. It is also easy to figure out your schedule as you get it two weeks in advance.

Pros

Management, Setting.

Cons

Sometimes a lack of hours.

Would not recommend

Poor management, poor training, stressful customers, shop lifting happens often, poor communication and low staff. I wouldn’t recommend working here unless you work part time and for a short while

Pros

Discount

Cons

Poor management, poor training, stressful

nice place to work at for part time

Very friendly atmosphere and nice co workers. fun during the summer time. scheduling is kind of biased but manager is very nice. would recommend working here

Good job to start building up a resume

I’ve been working here for a year and a half.The jobs been nothing but beneficial for me. I’ve gained a lot of confidence in my customer service skills working here, learned shop skills (ex: Skate sharpening, ski/snowboard tuning, bike building, etc), management has its ups and downs but never fails to give constructive criticism and feedback on what you’re doing well and what you need to work on.Starting out training was overall good. Shadowing and listening for the most part. I only learned a lot when I made my own experiences and learned more from my co workers and customers. Experience is everything in this line of work - Learn as you go.

Pros

Good Management Amazing co workers/environment

Cons

Not many customers after the mall closes/after holiday seasons.

Basic Retail Job

This is a good part-time job if you are schooling but don't expect much as this is entry-level retail. You work with a lot of younger coworkers so don't expect them to know alot. New hires do get orientation and training for their departments but it is very basic. For past year, there is focus on credit card applications and reward card sign up so expect to sell them at every opportunity.

Pros

Good discount on products and pro-deals

Cons

Toxic work culture depending on location Expect a lot of poorly chosen hires

Great co-workers, good first job

Great place for a first job. Has a lot of high school/college and university students so everyone’s around the same age. Some departments have a lot of drama but are good for the most part. The managers have their moments, especially the store and assistant managers. Can be petty at times and hold grudges.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Low pay, and management.

Horrible place to work.

I do not suggest working at sportchek full time. I’ve been with the company for 3 years and i started off as a part time employee at 15. I am now working “full time”, but not technically because i’m on no contact and still getting paid the absolute bare minimum. Horrible management. never ever recommend working here.

Pros

Discount

Cons

everything

No room for advancement

Terrible upper management to much micro managing, no support when needed, don’t pay well, not enough time to get your work done and they are asking for more and then question why you didn’t get the last stuff done

Pros

Cons

No support when asked for it was always told let me ask someone else

Highly dependent on management, overall good place to start.

Worked here for 4 years part time as a student and for someone like me it is great. Reasonable shifts and flexible hours. Management changed quite often leading to management who were essentially trained by part-time employees. Little to no opportunity for raises or promotion.

Pros

Great discount, great coworkers

Cons

Low pay, mediocre management

Intended for students or short term

It's not a bad place to work at but it's not the best, they lure you in with all these "benefits" because they pay minimum wage with minimal opportunity for a raise because the district manager is a complete tool and he's extremely cheap because all the money he saves, he gets for his end of year bonus. The most enjoyable part of the job is your coworkers because they tend to be all in the same age range. The store manager is disgruntled because he truly does not enjoy working there and continues to get rejected for promotion opportunities because he's a complete tool and he's a sexist/racist. Do not expect too much working at this specific location. Minimal pay = minimal effort

Not a bad place to work

I worked here for 5 years and honestly my experience was determined by the manager that was there. There was a frequent change in management but most of them were understanding. They work within your availability as long as its reasonable there really won't be much problems if you do your job.

Pros

easy work

Cons

not much opportunity to move up

Not the greatest , nor the best either

sport check is great company to work for but it comes with its own perks. There are many departments, the Saddest place to work would be as tech there, Reason being is that Technician require's some hands on skills. which should technically need to get paid more , but that's not the case. Management sucks.

Pros

discount

Cons

managment

Great first job

Great place to work, great first job. Flexible hours good team environment and. Management was great. Good training process to learn about the products they sell.

Pros

Flexible hours

Chill

I enjoyed working here the management was okay kind of picked favourites and grumpy at times but the employees were very nice. The store was fairly quiet at times

Pros

Chill and good benefits

Cons

Management was kind of rude

Company has gone downhill

Experience depends greatly on location (ie. store size, geographic area, etc). Learned a lot of different skills and acquired immense product knowledge and had great management, felt like the company cared. Great employee discount. Unfortunately far less effort is put into training new employees, and little interest in retaining employees. Constantly pushing new metrics and goals without adequate compensation. Full time and management have far more responsibilities than most other retail locations. Best suited for part time students who just want something flexible a few hours a week.

Pros

flexible, pretty easy, discount

Cons

high expectations low pay

Difficult Dynamic

I have been employed at sportchek for over 3 years now, in that time working part time and full time. When I first started the job, it was fun and I enjoyed being there. However, towards the end of when I was working full time and decided to leave the full time position, it became more stress than anything. The manager that was always out on the floor helping was great, and was heavily involved in making sure things worked out in all aspects and that things were fun. However the store manager was extremely uninvolved in anything going on in the store. You were lucky to see this manager out on the floor for more than 5 minutes a day. Somehow this still lead to a mass amount of disorganization on the back end of things, and it was very clear our other manager was trying to put out every flame, with no support from anyone. The pay is also extremely unfair, and it doesn't matter how long you've been employed there, requesting a raise is pointless and will not happen.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Unfair pay, poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sport Chek. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement