Spirit of Math Schools Inc.

Spirit of Math Schools Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews

Always Learning

A fun place to do and learn math....for both teachers and students alike. Very supportive and inclusive environment. Great connections between all levels of employees. Your voice is heard.

Pros

Lots of math learning, lots of support

Cons

Setting up your teaching space as it’s a shared space, Too many side initiatives like meetings and other little things to fill out.

Never work at this place

No work life balance at all. They try to screw you all the time with plenty of evaluations. They always overload with work and your managers change every now and then. In brief don't work here if you have any other option.

Insights into Spirit of Math Schools Inc.

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Time and location flexibility

Unfriendly and Unprofessional Treatment

Unfortunately, as you can see in other reviews, a common issue with this organization is the management from Ontario head quarters. They utilize deceptive practices to portray a more positive image on first encounter. In their training, they are very selective with what is introduced and how they are introduced to convey a sense that they practice what they preach but once you begin work, you will begin to notice discrepancies. They also have a bait and switch approach with respect to responsibilities and expectations. When hired, you are led to believe the work hours and expectations are of certain amount but once you get started you quickly begin to realize if you wish to qualify for a raise, you need to put in a lot more hours than you were led to believe. Work-life balance becomes practically non-existent. In terms of work culture and staff treatment, my local managers were great and worked extra hard to shield their staff and make the workplace more pleasant; however, the upper management staff make work quite unbearable. Staff typically are not allowed to do what they were hired to do even if they are quite qualified for their position. Micromanagement is quite extreme at this institution. With regards to advancement, there isn't much room for advancement unless you are willing to follow what you are told to the letter and barely voice any opposing opinion, only minor deviation is considered. Expect to be gaslighted by upper management as well quite frequently. As evidence for my claims, one manager left within just 1-2 months, 3 other managers (that I know of so far) -

Pros

local management

Cons

micromanagement by upper management staff especially the CEO

Great company to work for!

I have worked at Spirit of Math for many years now. I started as a part-time teacher. My team is amazing and I love that my voice is heard and my opinion matters.

Pros

co-workers, flexibility

Cons

long hours during high peak time

Organized company with huge potential and good benefit

Being a teacher or an associate is just the beginning as the company is fast growing and there is a lot of different opportunities. There are regular professional developments to ensure employees have the right and efficient skillsets for their work. This is an ideal teaching environment if you like to teach or work with high performing kids from SK to grade 11. Salary and benefit is good compared to private school or tutoring center standard.

Pros

Good Professional Development, Good Salary and Benefit

Cons

Need High Quality of teaching skills if you apply for teacher position

Awesome!

I am currently working in SoM - I love the culture - All are friendly and want you to be successful! This institute is not for money but to serve high-performing students who are not properly challenged in their day school.

Highly Motivated Teaching Staff and Students

I am a full-time teacher at our school. My typical day includes planning for lessons, teaching math to 160+ students in a classroom setting, ensuring all students are working cooperatively in the classroom, marking their weekly homework with helpful feedback, managing my Assistant Teacher, communicating to parents, and among others. I enjoy all the “ah-ha moments” in class when students are excited about their new learning. I do that by asking thought-provoking questions that led them to deeper understanding of mathematics, a subject that I really love.

Pros

Salary and teaching experienced gained

Good place for students, sad place for teachers

The salary is decent. The screening process is not that difficult. Students are also with relatively high IQ. However, once you join them you will realize that executives will always try to monitor and control every certain detail in an incredibly harsh way without any flexibility. Forget about your previous teaching experience or pattern because here all you need to do is strictly follow their order and satisfy them. Maybe some may feel self-fulfilled to work here, For me, I feel lucky that I left this place eventually.

Teacher

It's a good company to work for. I have had a very positive experience being employed at Spirit of Math. The work/life balance is what you make it. There is a culture of people who lean more towards their work but that seems to be entirely by choice, not a mandatory work environment. There has been a lot of turn over in multiple departments. If the culture isn't for you, you will have great difficulty. The same could really be said about any company, but it seems a bit more evident at Spirit of Math. Salary increases seem difficult to come by.

Pros

great students, inspiring work, ambitious culture

Cons

sometimes a difficult work culture to navigate.

High turn over

Not a very supportive environment, management is untrusting of their employees, and requirements are rigid and often unrealistic. Turn over is very high, so there's always opportunities for advancement....

Pros

Excellent students

Cons

A wonderful place to work and grow

I would recommend talented individuals to apply and work here. The environment here is challenging and makes you bring out the best in you. Being an educator herself, the leadership of the CEO and her can-do attitude really makes a positive impact for all the employees. the benefits are well suited and employees are well taken care of. We even have nutritionists, meditation sessions that employees can benefit from. The atmosphere is friendly and the social committee is really active. there is immense growth potential for any employee (i have seen and experienced it myself) as long as you are committed and put in the hours.

Pros

Growth

Cons

There are long hours some days but then you are able to take time off to compensate.

Poor Management

When I began teaching I was excited to begin there. Although the management made it clear they think all their teachers are stupid and Kim never listens to any employees opinion. They will do anything they can to drain you of ever resource you have. They have no respect for work life balance. They expect because it’s a family run business that all their employees are going to love and breath it. But no one is happy there because of how they are treated.

Pros

The children are great, .The teachers are very welcoming to new teachers, good pay for a beginning teacher as a foot in the door.

Cons

Management make you constantly feel stupid, . They make you feel like you are not capable of doing your job, That you will never be good enough., Management never escalated any teachers concerns as Kim never wants to hear any other opinion, other than her own.

One of the worst places to Work in Toronto Education sector

Terribly managed and led. As a family run business, there is terrible sense of nepotism, unqualified "managers" and no respect for the personal lives and times of teachers and employees, They look down on immigrants and people of colour even though they are the bulk of those running the company. If you simply need any job, and have no choice then it would make sense to work here, however there is no long term growth and extremely high turn over rate. The leadership does not trust anyone under them and micromanages its employees to the point of paranoia. There is a lot of manipulation, secret cliques and gossiping at the head office. The further away you are from the head office, the more happier you will be. Terrible place to work, great product, terrible and egotistical leaders who expect nothing but yes men.

Pros

Learn how to do math, improve math skills, meet new and interesting people, Decent pay

Cons

Extremely long hours due to mismanagement, horrible leadership, Mom and pop company parading as a world leader, no respect for others opinions, Long hours make pay look like min wage.

No employee appreciation and work life balance

Unrealistic expectation from employees. No boundaries for personal time and they expect you to work and check your messages outside of working hours (even on the weekends) and there's not even any overtime pay. Don't expect to be compensated well unless you are an executive or related to the family.

Horrible place to work.

Very high employee turn over rate. Passive aggressive management. Absolutely no work life balance. Employees especially teachers were treated like dumb individuals. No flexibility, very unlikely u will feel successful here. They feed into your brain that their program is the best and you are insufficient. They are like the modern residential schools for employees.

Great for gaining teaching experience, but no room for growth or advancement.

Teaching at Spirit of Math is a lot of fun: challenging, rewarding and you'll learn much about both teaching and math. The students are usually engaged, bright and passionate about their success. The hours of work are also good for teachers looking to work during the evenings, as classes usually run from 4:30 - 8:30, from Mondays to Thursdays (some weekend classes as well which are in the mornings). While the work/life balance may be good, a lot of meetings and extra tasks are given without much advanced notice and since you'll get paid a salary, you won't be receiving much (if any) additional pay for them. It's a great place to start for teachers who are fresh into the job market, as the pay is competitive and comes with some good benefits such as health insurance once you're a full-time teacher. However, the advancement in your salary is minimal (you'll be looking at more or less the same pay after 5-6 years of work), and the salary becomes an issue if you try to consider this job as your career (it's in the low-mid 40k).

Pros

Working hours in the evening, decent starting salary, benefits including health insurance

Cons

Little opportunity for growth of salary, lots of responsibility and work behind the scenes, subpar management (last minute notices, power hungry)

Great place for a high school student to work.

Loved working here. Helped gain many skills which helped in University applications. Teachers were always super supportive helpful. Fun to work with the other TA's.

Pretty good work place

They do not have breaks as you are expected to be working all the time. Not a flexible schedule and not many hours are given, recommended for people looking to make a dollar.

nice place to work

Nice boss , nice co-worker nice working atmosphere, responsible to parents, caring to worker, easy to communicate with boss, i would love to work here

Okay company

A lot of work is pushed onto other people. Rampant nepotism in the company. No exact day to day, as every location is based on discretion of the campus head.

Partially Difficult but satisfying

Being immersed in the environment of an assistant teacher allows you to develop many skills as you work and teach children how to solve questions. These skills later translate onto the real world as you help other people as well.

Cons

Hours may feel long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spirit of Math Schools Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Spirit of Math Schools Inc. with

• Spirit of Math Schools Inc.