Sperry Rail Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
challenge
Technicien (Former Employee) –  Canada29 March 2016
entreprise américaine qui offre des salaires adéquats, de longues heures de travail et des bénéfices.
Travel the country, testing the tracks for different railways.
Driver (Former Employee) –  across Canada9 September 2013
A typical day with Sperry Rail consisted in greasing and cleaning the work truck, driving to a pre-arranged meeting point where myself and the technician would meet with a railroad employee. This person would act as our "pilot" and ensure our safety as we operated the truck along the tracks. We would test usually for ten hours, at which point I would drive the truck to the closest town, fuel it and clean it and top up all the fluids. The technician (or "chief") and I would check into a hotel and spend the night.
This job involved lots of moving around, outdoor work in all weather, problem solving and truck up-keep and maintenance. My responsibilities were to drive and maintain the truck.
The best part of the job was the adventure across the country it offered, and the worst part was that while working for Sperry there was no place to call home. I took this job in the first place to use it as a stepping-stone to help me get hired by the railroad.
Pros
Adventure, minimal management oversight
Cons
While testing, driving the truck was extremly boring work.
Driving
Driver/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CT25 March 2012
This company does not pay very well. The hours are long and you are away from home for long periods of time. They do not respect the individual and anything that happens is the drivers fault. They do not maintain their equipment and when repairs are requested it usually does not happen.
Cons
long hours, away from home for long periods of time