Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Found 145 reviews matching the search See all 1,850 reviews
Great people, great bosses terrible salary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 April 2019
management was great and fun to work with. no many hours but enough if you just want part time. customers can be difficult if you are not use to abuse.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
not enough hours
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 March 2019
It was a great place! I enjoyed it very much!
The work was easy. The staff & management was enjoyable! I'd definitely recommend others to join the staff as I enjoyed it so much!
Fun but unstable work hours
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 February 2019
I worked there for 6 months and for the first couple of months I had some pretty good hours but then I wasn't getting any. I find sometimes they play favourites to some of the employees and they get the hours while others are at home waiting to work. You get a great discount and the team is great and you make some great friends but for work I wouldn't really bother with the Oshawa location.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours
surprisingly basic retail job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC21 February 2019
Deal with customers at the till and on the floor, making sure their needs are met and their questions are answered to the best of my ability. The store sells intimate toys, intimate apparel, jewelry, hats, t-shirts that are all licensed. Often a bit behind when it comes to bringing in merchandise from big trends when fidget spinners were popular they were not received till the end of the fad. Do not expect any type of hours that you could remotely live off of unless you're at least a supervisor and even then the pay increase isn't worth all the extra responsibilities that the position requires compared to a sales associate. Sales associates will get maybe one or two shifts a week for most of the year outside of November and December and they won't keep it consistent unless you tell them that you have another job. The relationships are usually very amicable between employees of all ranks and those who don't mesh well don't last long. I have worked here 2.5 years and have not received a raise because they no longer provide raises for minimum wage or near minimum wage employees. They claim they want less employee turn around but they do virtually nothing to keep current employees by providing enough hours as all the budget for hours is used on supervisor positions. despite this, it is a fun place to work if you're looking for a little extra cash but not to pay any serious bills.
Pros
If you win a contest you get a $15 gift card. 30% off merchandise everyday, 35% birthday, 40% one weekend per motnh.
Cons
Very few shifts available to Sales associates outside holiday season.
Fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 February 2019
the environment here was fantastic, the music is great and all the products are great as well. Everyday is different and you never know what will happen.
Totally fun workplace to be in!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB18 February 2019
Management was great and always creating a fun environment! I was always happy going to work because it was just something I looked forward to! I learned basic customer service skills as i was just a greeter at Spencer's
Pros
Fun, happy environment
Cons
not long enough hours
Amazing place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 February 2019
I have never worked anywhere before that valued my contribution as much as Spencer's does. The management is always providing helpful feedback, and making sure the work environment is a safe place for all employees.
I look forward to going into work, because I know my day is going to be filled with awesome customer connections and lots of laughs.

The training greatly prepared me for dealing with any back of the store interactions, including how to properly inform the Guest's on products and how to defuse any uncomfortable situations.

If you like a more fast paced work environment then Spencer's is right for you.
Pros
Amazing environment, fun place to work, lots of room for growth
Cons
The hours are unsteady but that is expected with retail.
Do not like the sales associates
part time sales associate in Sault Ste. Marie (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON4 February 2019
Been there for 2 years now, and they treat their part time employees like they are there to steal and lie the whole time. They also only give out the bare minimum hours a week (4... maybe 8 if youre lucky) and they refuse to move anyone up to a higher position.
Amazing for a short amount of time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 February 2019
Working at Spencers is amazing! The atmosphere is so much fun and I have come across many people that I now consider my friends including my co-workers and management. The only disappointing thing is unless you are a manager or saws supevisor you are extremely
Lucky to get more then 1 shift a week, and it will be a max of 4 hours.
Sometimes it makes you wonder if it’s worth it but I find I usually just stay because I love the people I work with and my manager is super reasonable, works really well with my schedule, and I just love Spencers as a whole.
Pros
Amazing staff, wicked management, allowed to make suggestions
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 January 2019
Working at Spencers was great. Everyone was super friendly and welcoming. The atmosphere in there was really fun and inclusive. The people there cared about the customers and you could tell they like it there.
Best Job Ever.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON8 January 2019
Spencer's has been the best place i have ever worked, Amazing Management and amazing work environment. All the staff members are nice people and everyone gets along and tries to keep a positive work environment.
Pros
fun job
Cons
not enough hours
Fun environment and great staff
Sale's Associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2019
Would love to go back with the team, but looking to start somewhere new. I love to learn different things and products were constantly changing. This is a great company to work for! Thanks for everything Spencer's
Pros
Incentives to employees
Cons
Hitting target on quiet days
fun but not profesional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 January 2019
management was a joke. I was bullied and manipulated by my own manager. the treatment was so bad employees were quitting and having mental health issues. constantly sexually harassed by guests. hours were awful. hardly even made money. no opportunities to grow in the company. policies made no sense. the store was understaffed. no benefits and very limited hours given to me despite my hard work and full availability
Great Team
Sale Associate/Associer au Vente (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB6 January 2019
Great Team love working there, people are super nice and they actually treat you like human being. TIme would go so fast working there even on slow days.
management could have done better
Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB3 January 2019
the job itself was great, i loved the customers and the product. But management needed some serious work, better training or just replacing all together. did not feel comfortable talking to my manager at all about any issues i ever had in the work place. when i did voice my concerns, they were never taken seriously.
Pros
30% off was great
Cons
managers
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON1 January 2019
I really enjoyed my time working here and the management was amazing. Your advancement within the company is flawed and the hourly wages are flawed, especially when you have worked there for over a year. When minimum wage went up, I lost my raise which resulted in employees that had been there for less time made more money than I did. I did not find the fair at all.

The environment is very good and I really did enjoy my time working there. It is your most basic retail job with a few extra perks like the benefits.
Fun place, horrible treatment amd managment
Staff member (Current Employee) –  British Columbia27 November 2018
I'm still waiting on benefits which were promised more than a year ago with my last promotion, the company always says they work for you and the stores not the company as a whole but they're always talking behind your back. I'm hearing from my staff that some of my superiors want to fire me but when I talk to them they say they are trying to make this a place I would want to stay, if the right team is assembled this can be one of the best jobs out there, relaxed work environment, fun people, full of jokes and fun times, the company doesn't seem to know how to run itself, a lot of the product has swearing yet we aren't allowed to swear ourselves? How are we supposed to sell things when we can even read them out to the guests. Mandatory pocket checks are great to try and help reduce theft but they go against some of the companies basic rules when it comes to the harassment rules and regulations we are taught within the first week of working here. The company takes anyone who actually likes working for them for granted and abuses the fact that they like working here. If management doesn't like you you can forget about going anywhere in this company
Pros
Getting to interact with like minded people
Cons
Taken advantage of, lack of respect
Polices
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 November 2018
This is a company who decides what policies and procedures they are going to follow according to how they feel. District manager and regional managers do not follow company policies
Pros
Cons
They want minions
Fun place to work, if management is good.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 October 2018
Current District Manager seems to take this job a little too serious. Spencers is supposed to be about having fun but I was miserable every time he came in. I was one of the best at selling add ons at Spencers and he was constantly mad that I wasn't selling enough. Need some younger management in spencers. Its supposed to be a store focused on young people but most management is 45+..
Pros
cool product
Cons
not enough hours, no benefits
Love love love Spencer's!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 September 2018
Great job, great environment, can be high volume but its always fun!
The staff is super friendly and welcoming. Overall I'd highly recommend Spencer's as a place to work :)
Pros
Great environment, great staff, fun place
Cons
Not always enough hours