Spencer's Gifts

Spencer's Gifts Employee Reviews

Canada189 reviews
Spencer's is very very worried about internal theft, while understandable, the practices can be very demeaning - each employee's personal bags are checked as they leave the store at the end of their shift, this check is often done in front of customers in the entryway of the store.

One nice thing about Spencer's, in comparison to other similar stores, is that it has a store-wide sales goal rather than individual sales goals.

Spencer's does not pay commission to sales associates, and there are a lot of training modules you'll do throughout your time at Spencer's - basically any time a new product is released, employees will take training.

Next is that since it is a "novelty" shop, the personal adult products they sell in the back of each location are not nearly as high quality as if you venture to your local shop. These productions were a hard sell for customers who know this.
They did not accommodate any disabilities that I received during employment. No matter how hard I worked. The hours were long with no support or recognition.
Pros
The lack of formalities bis good
Cons
The company itself is 100% US based and does not care care about Canadian rules
One of the best places I've worked in retail. A great attitude, benefits, and amazing coworkers as well as the best boss I have ever had. I've never not wanted to come into work at this place.I genuinely look forward to going in.
Cons
Bad flooring
I never should have left. If you get in there, stay for your sanity. It's an adventure there. Friendly and fun but stress ends when you walk out the door. Super fun.
Everyone who works here is relaxed and easy going. Any issues you have are solved immediately and the customers are just as relaxed as the staff. You will enjoy working here for sure
The environment was comfortable, I felt safe. My manager was always encouraging and polite. There wasn't anything hard about the job itself, just interact with customers, help them out if they need anything and don't steal.
Horrible horrible management . Disrespectful manager, they like to lie and make the staff feel as if they don’t matter .
Terrible place to work even Part time
i loved working at spencers there was lots of freedom of self expression, always inclusive and treated like your part of a family. spencers has extensive training and made me feel so comfortable doing my job.
Cons
short hours, no full-time, low wages
I was always asked to work late yet I was asked to clock out at closing time. The managers had zero communication amongst each other and we're always telling you to do one thing when the other one told you not to. I was constantly promised a promotion, three times I was promised and then they just gave it to somebody outside the company. Everyone constantly talks behind each other's back and I was even penalized over a rumour that somebody heard that I did not like them ... I then went from a full-time employee to not getting any shifts for 2 weeks! There were lots of crude comments from the males, including managers. The way we are forced to stand and directly stare at people to make sure they aren't stealing is ridiculous especially when we're not even allowed to do anything about it if we did witness something. This is all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll remember more to add later...
Pros
No dress code, good music, 30% off discount
Cons
Promised promotions only to never receive them, unrealistic expectations, no security, constant drama, ask to work unpaid hours, s*xual harassment, etc.
I worked part-time at Spencer's while also being a fulltime student. My Manager understood that I was a student first and always looked out for my well being. I learned valuable skills in a range of topics including sales, how to effectively upsell, stock, and product-specific training.
It is a great place to work! There are lots of opportunities to grow with the company and it is an all inclusive store where everyone is welcome. It is a great experience.
A typical day is floating around helping customers while tidying the merchandise or management will ask you to change things around the store or scan items for discards.
I've learned from Spencer's that not every workplace sucks and that it can and should be a great welcoming atmosphere for everyone.

The only downside is its impossible to live off of part time minimum wage now so it may be a great workplace but you definitely need more income to support yourself financially.
Pros
Cons
Minimum wage
Probably one of the best jobs ever, everyone was super sweet and funny. Even though I was seasonal and only was there during the holidays they were still awesome and helped me if I wasn’t clear on anything. Only thing I wouldn’t give 5 star is my job security but that’s literally only because I was a SEASONAL hire not part time!

It was finally a place I could be me!
Fun job but still requires hard work to maintain the store.
No dress code

Not a lot of hours unless you are management

Cool environment

Best store in the mall
I absolutely loved my time here. The store environment was very relaxed and all of the people working with me were great. Management actually cares about the employees.
Pros
Discount, great coworkers and management
Cons
No cons
Working at Spencer's was one of my favourite casual jobs. If you are a person that has an interest in music, television and gaming culture and/or enjoys interacting with customers and co-workers, Spencer's would be a great fit for you! The management was super easy going and helpful during the long training process. Awesome workplace!
Pros
discount
Cons
continuous training
Great atmosphere!
Great team and company

Amazing place to work, great management and work life balance.

The job is simple to grasp and follow through with
I loved the management when I worked here for my location. As soon as you start talking about upper management they became trash, district manager pushed for anyone he didn't like to get fired, regional manager was a cool guy who actually cared about the employees. And then theres HR, where do I begin, first thing about the HRM is that he seems nice and helpful when talking to him but then he lies right to you over the phone. Then he tells you that he will try his hardest to help you keep your job but pushes to fire you.theres no benefits if you talk to him about it he'll give you a number to call and that lady never answers. Worst of all is when they finally have a good system going in a store they push to get rid of the entire staff and try to fill it with people who don't really care about the job or the customers.
This place offers potential in experience in the retail field, but that's about it. At least the location I worked at, it was very hard to get a promotion. Everyone was so close since there was only a handful of employees that there was a lot of drama and some things being done were against policy.
I loved the work, loved the customers and my coworkers were great!! Its a great place to work! If I hadn't have gotten a higher paying job I would still be there.
Spencer's is fantastic, if there's been more hours to go around it would be perfect. But that's the downside of retail. Push the contests and you can win bonuses. Plus if you meet sales goals you will receive a bonus come the end of the year

Show up ready for a interesting day and like the motto says "Life's a party and we are here to make it FUN"
loved the company and the store i worked at! Once they hired new management is when i decided it was time for me to move on and look elsewhere for a new job.